Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 42
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    My Bikes
    2013 Trek 1.5
    Posts
    201
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    $900 Opinions - Trek and Fuji entry-mid level road bikes!

    Hi Folks - I'm working on upgrading from a drop-bar hybrid to an actual road bike (after riding a friends bike I can't resist)!
    My goals are simple: carbon fork, Tiagra or higher. (coming from Al w/ chromo fork and 2300 I feel this is an approriate step up).

    I haven't found the right bike on craigslist, and I'm nervous about ebay.

    I've found two (seemingly) fantastic deals in my area; a 2013 Fuji Sportif 1.1 for $720 (MSRP $1099) and 2013 Trek 1.5 for $900 (MSRP $1240). I also have a choice of purchasing a family member's ~2004 Trek OCLV 120 carbon with about 1000 miles on it for market price (whatever that may be, i'm guessing around $1000), and it would need a tune-up. I'm more interested in having my own new bike though and worried about carbon. I have a Jamis dealer in the area, but I wouldn't want to step below a Ventura Race, but they won't go on sale until the fall.

    Any input on either of these models? They're very similar component-wise, and I'm not sure if the Trek is worth the extra $180. However, the Fuji is from a sketchy builder (although brand new) while the Trek is from a LBS which would provide me with essential services that would surely make up for the added cost. I plan to ride both bikes this evening, and hopefully make a decision.

    Just looking for some input on the brands and/or the models if any of you have experience with these.

    THANKS!
    Trek 1.5

  2. #2
    Senior Member kv501's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    709
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First, don't worry about carbon.

    Second, entry-level bikes from any major manufacturer are going to be equal. They are all outsourced in the same small handful of Asian factories and will all do what you need them to. Buy the one that fits you the best. Fit trumps all, then price. By the Fuji.

  3. #3
    You Know!? For Kids! jsharr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Just NW of Richardson Bike Mart
    My Bikes
    '05 Trek 1200 / '90 Trek 8000 / '? Falcon Europa
    Posts
    6,082
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Between the Trek and Fuji, ride them both. Have the tire pressures checked and set to your weight so that they are the same on both bikes and then buy the one that feels the best, as the specs on the bikes are almost identical, I would lean towards the Fuji and usd the savings for shoes or pedals or both.
    Are you a registered member? Why not? Click here to register. It's free and only takes 27 seconds! Help out the forums, abide by our community guidelines.
    Quote Originally Posted by colorider View Post
    Phobias are for irrational fears. Fear of junk ripping badgers is perfectly rational. Those things are nasty.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    My Bikes
    2013 Trek 1.5
    Posts
    201
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kv501 View Post
    First, don't worry about carbon.

    Second, entry-level bikes from any major manufacturer are going to be equal. They are all outsourced in the same small handful of Asian factories and will all do what you need them to. Buy the one that fits you the best. Fit trumps all, then price. By the Fuji.
    I'm not concerned about a carbon frame -I'd actualy prefer to stay away from a carbon frame at this point- but I want a carbon fork for weight/ride. My current bike is pretty heavy with a big frame, trip crank, chromo fork and 28mm tires. I'd really like to cut down on weight, plus it's pretty easy to come by carbon forks in reasonably priced bikes, and it should have ride benefits with 23mm tires. Both the Trek and Fuji should be about 5 lbs lighter.

    I figured if these bikes are basically the same on paper it should come down to fit... According to the geometry the Fuji should have a more relaxed fit, so I expect the difference to be somewhat apparent. The Fuji is less expensive, but the free services at the LBS would make up for that, like a fitting and tuneups.
    Trek 1.5

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    My Bikes
    2013 Trek 1.5
    Posts
    201
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jsharr View Post
    Between the Trek and Fuji, ride them both. Have the tire pressures checked and set to your weight so that they are the same on both bikes and then buy the one that feels the best, as the specs on the bikes are almost identical, I would lean towards the Fuji and usd the savings for shoes or pedals or both.
    Thanks - I actually have pedals and shoes, bottle cages, computer, etc from my current bike. I look at the extra cost as the benefits of a LBS - I'll find out today how sketchy this Fuji deal is. It's a person who sells brand new bikes from a storage unit... I don't know how he gets them, who builds/tunes them, where they come from, etc... might explain the high discounts and limited availabilities...
    Trek 1.5

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Antioch, IL
    My Bikes
    GT GTR Series 2
    Posts
    1,806
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't call Fuji a sketchy builder but nice to support the LBS as well. the trek 1.5 is, imho, trek's best 'price point' bike. but as kv says, don't discount the fuji, they make some fine bikes, so go try them out and see which one you like. both are going to be great if they fit you, and that's what matters most.
    "You should never point a loaded *** at anyone. This is not a hard and fast rule, however. A hard and fast rule is that you should never, ever, point an unloaded *** at anyone." --P.J. O'Rourke

  7. #7
    Senior Member kv501's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    709
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bonz50 View Post
    I wouldn't call Fuji a sketchy builder but nice to support the LBS as well. the trek 1.5 is, imho, trek's best 'price point' bike. but as kv says, don't discount the fuji, they make some fine bikes, so go try them out and see which one you like. both are going to be great if they fit you, and that's what matters most.
    I think the OP is calling the guy selling them sketchy. He is selling new bikes out of a storage unit.

    OP: I didn't know the whole black market storage unit thing...probably best to avoid that. The gist of my post, though, was that all entry-level aluminum bikes are made overseas by just a few manufacturers, and as such they are totally comparable. Assuming fit and components are the same, go with price.

    In other words, a Giant, Trek, Fuji, Specialized, Cannondale, and so on are all going to be essentially the same. Just find the best deal.

  8. #8
    You Know!? For Kids! jsharr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Just NW of Richardson Bike Mart
    My Bikes
    '05 Trek 1200 / '90 Trek 8000 / '? Falcon Europa
    Posts
    6,082
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Icculus21 View Post
    Thanks - I actually have pedals and shoes, bottle cages, computer, etc from my current bike. I look at the extra cost as the benefits of a LBS - I'll find out today how sketchy this Fuji deal is. It's a person who sells brand new bikes from a storage unit... I don't know how he gets them, who builds/tunes them, where they come from, etc... might explain the high discounts and limited availabilities...
    Also, make sure it is actually brand new and not used. If you are the second owner, you have no warranty.
    Are you a registered member? Why not? Click here to register. It's free and only takes 27 seconds! Help out the forums, abide by our community guidelines.
    Quote Originally Posted by colorider View Post
    Phobias are for irrational fears. Fear of junk ripping badgers is perfectly rational. Those things are nasty.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    My Bikes
    2013 Trek 1.5
    Posts
    201
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks all!

    Yup, I was calling the dealer sketchy, not the Fuji bike. I agree with your statements that most bikes in this category/price point will be fairly similar. The Trek and Fuji are the two best deals I've found locally on new bikes (I can get other $700-$900 bikes, but undiscounted so lower level components - all Al, Sora, etc.), so as of now I haven't identified other options, althogh I know there are other great bikes like the Allez, Defy, CAAD's, etc. I just haven't come across better deals, and if most bikes will be simliar, might as well go for the deal!

    I was also concerned if anybody had anything bad to say about either brand. I didn't know much about Fuji in general although I know a couple of people who ride Fuji's, and obviously Trek is very popular and reputable, although some people say you pay some for the name. Either way, I figure either bike is a safe buy.
    Trek 1.5

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Rep. of Dallas
    Posts
    761
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    CAAD10 becuase it is the American standard. Check-out a 105 bike before you buy Tiagra, I can't stand the floppy cables in my face.

  11. #11
    Senior Member buffalowings's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    697
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SirHustlerEsq View Post
    CAAD10 becuase it is the American standard. Check-out a 105 bike before you buy Tiagra, I can't stand the floppy cables in my face.
    what the hell?...... cannondale is made the same made in taiwan/china **** as any other maker. Floppy cables in your face?....
    Noooooo! My thread!! -_________- http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php/896498-Do-you-pack-quot-heat-quot-while-cycling

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    My Bikes
    2013 Trek 1.5
    Posts
    201
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SirHustlerEsq View Post
    CAAD10 becuase it is the American standard. Check-out a 105 bike before you buy Tiagra, I can't stand the floppy cables in my face.
    I'd love a 105 bike but too much money! Plus, I'm used to floppy cables in my face. As far as shifting action, I've read that the new 10-speed Tiagra is basically the old 105, and I'm sure it will be more than satisfying coming from 2300.
    Trek 1.5

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    My Bikes
    2013 Trek 1.5
    Posts
    201
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by buffalowings View Post
    what the hell?...... cannondale is made the same made in taiwan/china **** as any other maker. Floppy cables in your face?....
    I believe he's refering to the external shift cables. Although it would be nice to have all internal, the cables never bother me.
    Trek 1.5

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    747
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Icculus21 View Post
    I'd love a 105 bike but too much money! Plus, I'm used to floppy cables in my face. As far as shifting action, I've read that the new 10-speed Tiagra is basically the old 105, and I'm sure it will be more than satisfying coming from 2300.
    10spd Tiagra is smooth as butter, you'll be fine with it.

    The Fuji dealer sounds seriously sketchy, and you may not have any recourse if something's effed up. If the Trek's at an LBS, I really would go with that. It's a few bucks extra for peace of mind, but also the LBS owner is likely to give you better service having bought a bike from him than if you go to him with a bike you go somewhere else.

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    My Bikes
    2013 Trek 1.5
    Posts
    201
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leinster View Post
    10spd Tiagra is smooth as butter, you'll be fine with it.

    The Fuji dealer sounds seriously sketchy, and you may not have any recourse if something's effed up. If the Trek's at an LBS, I really would go with that. It's a few bucks extra for peace of mind, but also the LBS owner is likely to give you better service having bought a bike from him than if you go to him with a bike you go somewhere else.
    That's pretty much the justifcation I'm also thinking for the extra cost, not just peace of mind but also the included things like free maintenance, shop discounts, complementary fitting... plus, the bike is 27% discount from original MSRP, and even $100 less expensive than Trek's own advertised discount. I call that a bargain!
    Trek 1.5

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    747
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Icculus21 View Post
    That's pretty much the justifcation I'm also thinking for the extra cost, not just peace of mind but also the included things like free maintenance, shop discounts, complementary fitting... plus, the bike is 27% discount from original MSRP, and even $100 less expensive than Trek's own advertised discount. I call that a bargain!
    If you get a free fitting and your wheel straightened the first time you hit a big pothole, you've burned through most of the $180 difference already.

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    My Bikes
    2013 Trek 1.5
    Posts
    201
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leinster View Post
    If you get a free fitting and your wheel straightened the first time you hit a big pothole, you've burned through most of the $180 difference already.
    My thoughts exactly - or any sort of service in general, even a tuneup which it will probably need after a couple of months.
    Trek 1.5

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Rep. of Dallas
    Posts
    761
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by buffalowings View Post
    what the hell?...... cannondale is made the same made in taiwan/china **** as any other maker. Floppy cables in your face?....
    It's still the standard, valuable, metal bike with a good warranty in my family's experience.

  19. #19
    Senior Member datlas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Malvern, PA (20 miles West of Philly)
    My Bikes
    1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix
    Posts
    13,245
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Agree with above advice.

    But don't confuse "fit" with geometry. Fit means how well the bike fits your body.

    Big difference.
    Quote Originally Posted by RUOkie View Post
    never underestimate the idiocy of BF.

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    451
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://www.jensonusa.com/Road-Bikes/...Road-Bike-2013
    105s, warranty, free bike build and the bike gets great reviews

  21. #21
    Senior Member buffalowings's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    697
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lenny866 View Post
    http://www.jensonusa.com/Road-Bikes/...Road-Bike-2013
    105s, warranty, free bike build and the bike gets great reviews
    I don't know about the podium anymore..it's my primary bike, but I feel like the frame is heavier then average (thicker tubing).
    Noooooo! My thread!! -_________- http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php/896498-Do-you-pack-quot-heat-quot-while-cycling

  22. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    451
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Heavy? The pod 3 is around 20.5 lbs. That is comparable to other bikes in that price range/components.

    What does your bike weigh?

  23. #23
    Senior Member buffalowings's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    697
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lenny866 View Post
    Heavy? The pod 3 is around 20.5 lbs. That is comparable to other bikes in that price range/components.

    What does your bike weigh?

    I have a Podium 2 (stock is 21.3lbs according to jenson, I upgraded wheelset, crankset, seatpost and seattube, and it weighs about 18.3-18.7lb depending on the scale. I'm the person that walks into a bike shop and starts flicking the downtubes/toptubes of display bikes and every bike I flick sounds lighter....
    Noooooo! My thread!! -_________- http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php/896498-Do-you-pack-quot-heat-quot-while-cycling

  24. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Boca Raton, Florida
    My Bikes
    Fuji Altamira
    Posts
    122
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I went through the same process, looking to stay under $1000. I found a variety of aluminum bikes, carbon frame, tiagra parts. Masi, Orbea, Fuji, Felt, Bianchi, Cannondale all had great bikes. Most important is to go and ride them and select the bike that fits you the best. I rode two different bikes that I wanted, but did not fit me that well.

  25. #25
    Senior Member 99Klein's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Lincoln Nebraska
    My Bikes
    99 Klein Quantum, 2012 Cannondale CAAD10 5, Specialized Crosstrail. GT
    Posts
    696
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I liked the exposed cables. Lighter shifting and three coggs at a time.
    When you argue with an idiot, from a bystanders point of view, it may be hard to discern which is the idiot. (dis·cern: Verb - Perceive or recognize)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •