Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 117
  1. #51
    rugged individualist wphamilton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Alpharetta, GA
    My Bikes
    Nashbar Road
    Posts
    6,607
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricohman View Post
    Your body spends a considerable amount of energy keeping cool. The more you are sweating the more energy you are expending keeping cool....
    Some cooling comes from respiration and blood circulation (transferring heat to the surface), but it would be surprising if that represented a significant amount of calories. Primarily our cooling comes from perspiration (agreed?) but the sweating itself burns a small amount of calories. Therefore I'm skeptical, the article you quote later notwithstanding.

  2. #52
    Senior Member surgeonstone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    South Bend IN
    My Bikes
    Merlin Lunaris
    Posts
    9,234
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bbattle View Post
    Pigs don't sweat.

    Horses do.

    The expression should be "sweat like a horse" unless you mean that you didn't sweat at all.


    Carry on.
    Actually pigs do sweat and have skin that is very similar to a humans. However the number of sweat glands, being much lower than a human, contribute little to thermoregulation hence their need to wallow in mud.

  3. #53
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    On yer left
    Posts
    1,649
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Sweat is just the body's process of shedding heat by evaporative cooling. It does not require any extra calories to produce sweat than it does to produce urine.

  4. #54
    has a Large Member Campag4life's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    9,046
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good discussion. My take away reading both pros and cons of what is written is...body core temp likely doesn't change much aka if it did, it would probably do much harm. Of course delta T aka internal body temp relative to external temp can be dramatically different. When delta T is big, sweat results in an effort cool the body to maintain core temp. Perspiration itself doesn't result in additional caloric burn...or very modest if any affect.

    So likely as stated, increased calorie burn in higher temp weather must be due to other factors. Not sure if mean heart rate goes up in the summer as I don't train with a monitor. I believe my diet is similar but perhaps not. I though perhaps the process of hydration had a flushing effect of fat in the body but most seem to think this is bogus or not material.

    In any event, I am glad I am dropping weight. I am riding stronger as well. I suppose there could be a synergistic effect in play. Because I am becoming fitter coming off sedendary winter months, maybe my metabolism has sped up and I am naturally burning more calories. So I am changing based upon my riding regiment which is changing my metabolism. Which leads me full circle to....I need to move out of the Midwest and get in a climate I can ride more months out of the year. That way I can be more fit year around.
    Thanks everybody.

  5. #55
    Free @coasting RUOkie's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    In a Haggard Song
    My Bikes
    2009 ORBEA Onix Rival. 2012 Felt Breed, 1999 Raleigh 500
    Posts
    10,525
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I've seen a lot of really dumb threads on BF, but this makes the top 10. The amount of "internet knowledge" (otherwise known as sheer ignorance) being posted here is astounding.
    Quote Originally Posted by Herbie53 View Post
    Being full of crap and depositing it here consistently is really nothing to be proud of.

  6. #56
    Long Distance Cyclist Machka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    I ride where the thylacine roamed!
    My Bikes
    Lots
    Posts
    39,927
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Campag4life View Post
    Good discussion. My take away reading both pros and cons of what is written is...body core temp likely doesn't change much aka if it did, it would probably do much harm.
    Body core temp doesn't change much ... it shouldn't go over 40C (104F) which is a pretty high fever and can result in some serious damage, and it shouldn't drop lower than 35C (95F) which is when hypothermia starts. So there's a 5C range a person can be in without going into dangerous territory, and only about a 1C range of that is comfortable.

  7. #57
    RT
    RT is offline
    The Weird Beard RT's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    COS
    Posts
    8,533
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RUOkie View Post
    I've seen a lot of really dumb threads on BF, but this makes the top 10. The amount of "internet knowledge" (otherwise known as sheer ignorance) being posted here is astounding.
    Amen.

  8. #58
    Senior Member WhyFi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Got a castle in - er, Minneapolis, that's where I dwell!
    My Bikes
    2009 Jamis Xenith
    Posts
    10,084
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RUOkie View Post
    I've seen a lot of really dumb threads on BF, but this makes the top 10. The amount of "internet knowledge" (otherwise known as sheer ignorance) being posted here is astounding.
    Does this mean that I should ditch my Saran Wrap base layer?
    Quote Originally Posted by RollCNY View Post
    I would wager that not riding in Minnesota is just as fatiguing as not riding in New York.

  9. #59
    has a Large Member Campag4life's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    9,046
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RUOkie View Post
    I've seen a lot of really dumb threads on BF, but this makes the top 10. The amount of "internet knowledge" (otherwise known as sheer ignorance) being posted here is astounding.
    Creating such a thread is worth it for the pure entertainment of watching posters like yourself come forward...and embarrass themselves...which of course is a false premise because you aren't smart enough to have any shame. Instead of setting the record straight with your prevailing wisdom, you do the only thing you are good at. Troll.

  10. #60
    Descends like a rock pallen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Fort Worth, TX
    My Bikes
    Torelli Countach, Surly Pacer
    Posts
    4,000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WhyFi View Post
    Does this mean that I should ditch my Saran Wrap base layer?
    No, just drop all layers on top of that. You're still in MN, right? I don't think I'll see you anywhere I ride

  11. #61
    has a Large Member Campag4life's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    9,046
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Machka View Post
    Body core temp doesn't change much ... it shouldn't go over 40C (104F) which is a pretty high fever and can result in some serious damage, and it shouldn't drop lower than 35C (95F) which is when hypothermia starts. So there's a 5C range a person can be in without going into dangerous territory, and only about a 1C range of that is comfortable.
    Sounds right. But because calories by definition relates to heat and temp, lets say core temp raises by 1 deg C during an intense workout in high ambient heat. This 'could' affect caloric burn rate. Only a hypothesis.

  12. #62
    Long Distance Cyclist Machka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    I ride where the thylacine roamed!
    My Bikes
    Lots
    Posts
    39,927
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Campag4life View Post
    Sounds right. But because calories by definition relates to heat and temp, lets say core temp raises by 1 deg C during an intense workout in high ambient heat. This 'could' affect caloric burn rate. Only a hypothesis.
    A suggestion ... take your temperature.

    You can get a thermometer quite inexpensively at most pharmacies ... so take your temperature when you wake up in the morning, before you do anything active and before your shower. Take your temperature just before you head out on your ride. Then take your temperature during your ride, after you get all warmed up and start sweating.


    So far, you're just using perception as your guideline, but you can track some real data.

    -- body temperature (with your thermometer)
    -- heart rate ... get your resting HR, your pre-ride HR, and your HR throughout the ride
    -- distances you ride each day that you ride throughout a year. Use some method to record your rides over a year.
    -- ride time ... how long did it take you to do each ride? total time? on-bike time?
    -- calories consumed ... meticulously track your calories consumed for 3 weeks in the heat of summer, and again for 3 weeks in the chill of winter.

  13. #63
    Senior Member DaveWC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,125
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Campag4life View Post
    Creating such a thread is worth it for the pure entertainment of watching posters like yourself come forward...and embarrass themselves...which of course is a false premise because you aren't smart enough to have any shame. Instead of setting the record straight with your prevailing wisdom, you do the only thing you are good at. Troll.
    Seriously? Given that even a cursory attempt at googling the premise that sweating increases calorie burn yields absolutely no evidence supporting your claim I'd say the embarrassment doesn't lie with those that mock the concept of this thread. Surely you could have "set the record straight" on your own in seconds.

  14. #64
    RT
    RT is offline
    The Weird Beard RT's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    COS
    Posts
    8,533
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Campag4life View Post
    Creating such a thread is worth it for the pure entertainment of watching posters like yourself come forward...and embarrass themselves...which of course is a false premise because you aren't smart enough to have any shame. Instead of setting the record straight with your prevailing wisdom, you do the only thing you are good at. Troll.
    C4L, chill buddy. It is a worthy topic, but the amount of drilling down to get to the minute details about a simple bodily function is pure 41. We ride our bikes. We get hot. We sweat. This does not always mean weight loss unless the thread devolves into an argument about scientific principle, which is what has happened. That was the only point.

  15. #65
    has a Large Member Campag4life's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    9,046
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveWC View Post
    Seriously? Given that even a cursory attempt at googling the premise that sweating increases calorie burn yields absolutely no evidence supporting your claim I'd say the embarrassment doesn't lie with those that mock the concept of this thread. Surely you could have "set the record straight" on your own in seconds.
    Fair point.

  16. #66
    has a Large Member Campag4life's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    9,046
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RT View Post
    C4L, chill buddy. It is a worthy topic, but the amount of drilling down to get to the minute details about a simple bodily function is pure 41. We ride our bikes. We get hot. We sweat. This does not always mean weight loss unless the thread devolves into an argument about scientific principle, which is what has happened. That was the only point.
    But RT, I don't see argument default to scientific principle as devolving. I view this as evolving to the truth. Many have come forward and dismissed the notion that sweating has anything to do with weight loss...over and above obvious dehydration. I am evolving on the subject as well.

  17. #67
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    On yer left
    Posts
    1,649
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    That must be pretty uncomfortable riding with that thermometer up your...

  18. #68
    has a Large Member Campag4life's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    9,046
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Machka View Post
    A suggestion ... take your temperature.

    You can get a thermometer quite inexpensively at most pharmacies ... so take your temperature when you wake up in the morning, before you do anything active and before your shower. Take your temperature just before you head out on your ride. Then take your temperature during your ride, after you get all warmed up and start sweating.


    So far, you're just using perception as your guideline, but you can track some real data.

    -- body temperature (with your thermometer)
    -- heart rate ... get your resting HR, your pre-ride HR, and your HR throughout the ride
    -- distances you ride each day that you ride throughout a year. Use some method to record your rides over a year.
    -- ride time ... how long did it take you to do each ride? total time? on-bike time?
    -- calories consumed ... meticulously track your calories consumed for 3 weeks in the heat of summer, and again for 3 weeks in the chill of winter.
    Here is the problem Macka with introducing scientific metrics. You don't know the respective weighting of the parameters you proposed in terms of relative contribution to weight loss. If you do, please post percentages of each contribution. Therefore data acquisition will be not only tedious but irrelevant. You could perform a scientific study I suppose using regression or Tagucci methods over a varied sample size of riders to try to correlate respective contribution but this would be an involved study and worthy of a PHD dissertation. I believe all of us would be further ahead if you would just post this study if you know the relative weighting of this data in terms of calories burned. My guess is, it doesn't exist.
    Thanks.

  19. #69
    Long Distance Cyclist Machka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    I ride where the thylacine roamed!
    My Bikes
    Lots
    Posts
    39,927
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kenji666 View Post
    That must be pretty uncomfortable riding with that thermometer up your...

    You might still do it that way, but I think most people use thermometers under their armpits, in their ears, or under their tongues ... depending on the thermometer you get.

    Note that the "normal" temperature acquired by each of those methods is slightly different, but if you use a particular method consistently, you'll get decent data.

  20. #70
    Long Distance Cyclist Machka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    I ride where the thylacine roamed!
    My Bikes
    Lots
    Posts
    39,927
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Campag4life View Post
    Here is the problem Macka with introducing scientific metrics. You don't know the respective weighting of the parameters you proposed in terms of relative contribution to weight loss. If you do, please post percentages of each contribution. Therefore data acquisition will be not only tedious but irrelevant. You could perform a scientific study I suppose using regression or Tagucci methods over a varied sample size of riders to try to correlate respective contribution but this would be an involved study and worthy of a PHD dissertation. I believe all of us would be further ahead if you would just post this study if you know the relative weighting of this data in terms of calories burned. My guess is, it doesn't exist.
    Thanks.
    I'm talking about YOU.

    You perceive that you're losing weight in the summer. Why?

    If you track the amount you eat in summer vs. winter, you might discover that you eat fewer calories in the summer vs. winter.

    If you track the amount of cycling you do all year long, you might discover that you cycle more in the summer than in the winter.

    If you make those discoveries, that would explain why you're losing weight in the summer.


    You perceive you're working harder in the winter than you are in the summer. So track your HR for a few weeks in the winter and a few weeks in the summer, and see if your perception is indeed true.


    You proposed a theory that your body core temperature might go up during an intense workout in hot temperatures ... so take your temperature and see if that actually happens.


    It's not that complicated.

  21. #71
    I'm doing it wrong. RJM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    My Bikes
    Rivendell Roadeo, Rivendell Sam Hillborne, Trek Fuel Ex 9
    Posts
    3,414
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I spent some time in New Orleans drinking, boozing, hanging...sweating my ass off because it was so hot. I didn't lose one pound, in fact I gained some. I think the Op's metric is a little off.
    "...this place is to trolling as salt licks are to deer hunting." - 3alarmer

  22. #72
    has a Large Member Campag4life's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    9,046
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Machka View Post
    I'm talking about YOU.

    You perceive that you're losing weight in the summer. Why?

    If you track the amount you eat in summer vs. winter, you might discover that you eat fewer calories in the summer vs. winter.

    If you track the amount of cycling you do all year long, you might discover that you cycle more in the summer than in the winter.

    If you make those discoveries, that would explain why you're losing weight in the summer.


    You perceive you're working harder in the winter than you are in the summer. So track your HR for a few weeks in the winter and a few weeks in the summer, and see if your perception is indeed true.


    You proposed a theory that your body core temperature might go up during an intense workout in hot temperatures ... so take your temperature and see if that actually happens.


    It's not that complicated.
    Point taken. My weight loss maybe related to other things as you say. Hard to precisely track everything but unless you do, then difficult to say what the contributors are. I really wasn't trying to identify some of the well known contributors...understood that diet is biggest factor...and how much you ride and intensity of how you ride. Seems like my biggest weight loss periods are dead of summer when I sweat the most is the simple premise of thread. Now understood that many dismiss this notion.

  23. #73
    Long Distance Cyclist Machka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    I ride where the thylacine roamed!
    My Bikes
    Lots
    Posts
    39,927
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Campag4life View Post
    Point taken. My weight loss maybe related to other things as you say. Hard to precisely track everything but unless you do, then difficult to say what the contributors are. I really wasn't trying to identify some of the well known contributors...understood that diet is biggest factor...and how much you ride and intensity of how you ride. Seems like my biggest weight loss periods are dead of summer when I sweat the most is the simple premise of thread. Now understood that many dismiss this notion.
    You probably do lose the most weight during the summer ... when you ride more, when you eat more fruit and veg, when you burn more than you consume, etc., etc.


    But not because you're losing a bit of water and electrolytes in sweat.

  24. #74
    has a Large Member Campag4life's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    9,046
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Machka View Post
    You probably do lose the most weight during the summer ... when you ride more, when you eat more fruit and veg, when you burn more than you consume, etc., etc.


    But not because you're losing a bit of water and electrolytes in sweat.
    I have learned something then. I thought there maybe a correlation. Another poster mentioned HR. I know my fitness has improved. I am riding faster and able to sustain higher intensity. That is for certain. So perhaps if my diet is the same and I am logging more miles, I am riding those miles harder but it doesn't seem harder because I am more fit...but I maybe burning more calories. I know my average speed is up. Oh oh...I mentioned average speed on the 41.

  25. #75
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    On yer left
    Posts
    1,649
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quick, someone close this thread before someone mentions Lance... uh-oh, too late.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •