Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Road Cycling It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle. -- Ernest Hemingway

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-05-13, 12:36 PM   #76
Campag4life
Banned.
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 10,655
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJM View Post
I spent some time in New Orleans drinking, boozing, hanging...sweating my ass off because it was so hot. I didn't lose one pound, in fact I gained some. I think the Op's metric is a little off.
You didn't say anything about women. At the risk of incensing the 41 code of indignation which can be haphazard at best, I will proffer that excessive dalliance with women of unknown origin will lighten your wallet. Sweating is optional
Campag4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-13, 12:39 PM   #77
Campag4life
Banned.
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 10,655
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenji666 View Post
Quick, someone close this thread before someone mentions Lance... uh-oh, too late.
It would be a fitting end. Speaking of LA, I did like what he said on the eve of le tour. And, I agree with him btw. Yes, a man of despicable character but one that did compete on a level playing field with all the other cheaters aka pro peloton. Who can you name as replacement winners in the Lance era that didn't cheat? The reason why they haven't is because it can't be done...all contenders did. The guys that were nave enough to not cheat, had zero chance of winning. Whether the sport is clean now is whole 'nother debate.

Last edited by Campag4life; 07-05-13 at 12:44 PM.
Campag4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-13, 02:53 PM   #78
surgeonstone
Senior Member
 
surgeonstone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: South Bend IN
Bikes: Merlin Lunaris
Posts: 9,936
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campag4life View Post
Creating such a thread is worth it for the pure entertainment of watching posters like yourself come forward...and embarrass themselves...which of course is a false premise because you aren't smart enough to have any shame. Instead of setting the record straight with your prevailing wisdom, you do the only thing you are good at. Troll.
I would place my bets on RUOkies intelligence being superior any day. And BTW, he is, in fact, quite right.
surgeonstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-13, 03:17 PM   #79
Campag4life
Banned.
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 10,655
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by surgeonstone View Post
I would place my bets on RUOkies intelligence being superior any day. And BTW, he is, in fact, quite right.
You may now bring my car around after washing it. Be sure to wipe the extra tire dressing off as this tends to fling on the undercarriage. You tend to forget this.
Campag4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-13, 03:21 PM   #80
surgeonstone
Senior Member
 
surgeonstone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: South Bend IN
Bikes: Merlin Lunaris
Posts: 9,936
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campag4life View Post
You may now bring my car around after washing it. Be sure to wipe the extra tire dressing off as this tends to fling on the undercarriage. You tend to forget this.
wut
surgeonstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-13, 03:41 PM   #81
Campag4life
Banned.
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 10,655
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by surgeonstone View Post
wut
no excuses. Also, check the oil.
Campag4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-13, 04:30 PM   #82
wheelreason
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Bikes:
Posts: 465
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Fat folks often erroneously equate sweating with increased weight loss and exertion. But I've seen many dripping wet just reaching for the Cheetos, so....
And while we are at it, its the increased metabolism, reduced perceived hunger (not to mention idle time) along with the changes in how the body handles ingested calories in active/fit folks which leads to weight loss. Do the math on how long it would take to burn just one Big Mac and a Pepsi, and you'll see there aren't enough open treadmills at the gym to make that work no matter how much plastic you wrap yourself in....
wheelreason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-13, 04:35 PM   #83
kenji666
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: On yer left
Bikes:
Posts: 1,648
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Burning calories and fat by muscles requires oxygen, which requires higher HR.
kenji666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-13, 04:48 PM   #84
WhyFi
Senior Member
 
WhyFi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Got a castle in - er, Minneapolis, that's where I dwell!
Bikes: 2009 Jamis Xenith
Posts: 12,873
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Ha ha - should I be surprised that the guy that thinks there's a direct correlation between sweating and burning significant calories is also foolish enough to insult the knowledge and intelligence of not one but TWO MDs in his crappy thread?
WhyFi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-13, 04:55 PM   #85
Bah Humbug
runner
 
Bah Humbug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Austin
Bikes: Cervelo S1
Posts: 8,395
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyFi View Post
Ha ha - should I be surprised that the guy that thinks there's a direct correlation between sweating and burning significant calories is also foolish enough to insult the knowledge and intelligence of not one but TWO MDs in his crappy thread?
He's on my blocked list, but the quotes are entertaining enough! I'd assume he was a troll if he didn't seem so serious, and hadn't been at it so long.
Bah Humbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-13, 04:56 PM   #86
bsektzer
Senior Member
 
bsektzer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Northern CA
Bikes: Pinarello Paris/Ui2, BMC TeamMachine SLR01/Campy Record EPS
Posts: 517
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Classic 41... 9 pages devoted to a little post-hoc ergo propter hoc action
bsektzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-13, 10:01 PM   #87
Astrozombie
Senior Member
 
Astrozombie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: East L.A.
Bikes: Windsor Dover, Motobecane Mirage, Diamondback Insight
Posts: 860
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Make sure to drink plenty of sweaty beers, that'll melt all the pounds off
Astrozombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-13, 05:33 AM   #88
Campag4life
Banned.
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 10,655
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyFi View Post
Ha ha - should I be surprised that the guy that thinks there's a direct correlation between sweating and burning significant calories is also foolish enough to insult the knowledge and intelligence of not one but TWO MDs in his crappy thread?
Who happen to be both trolling...which btw hotspot, is 'all' you do. Btw, I don't mind your sense of humor...at least you have one which is appreciated, but your posts are tired and lame. Bonafide MD's should come forward with substantive reasons why my assertion is false. Instead they troll and hence my response.
Campag4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-13, 05:34 AM   #89
Campag4life
Banned.
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 10,655
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug View Post
He's on my blocked list, but the quotes are entertaining enough! I'd assume he was a troll if he didn't seem so serious, and hadn't been at it so long.
Since I'm blocked, all you do is troll as well. No substantive rebuttal because you haven't a clue.
Campag4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-13, 05:38 AM   #90
coasting 
Still can't climb
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Limey in Taiwan
Bikes:
Posts: 22,645
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sweating? Are you serious?

Unfortunately I have found that exercise is not enough without reducing calorie intake, but calorie intake is enough without exercise (but better with exercise of course). Changing eating habits is the only way and there are plenty of ways to achieve this and not all will work for all people.


But seriously...sweat? What a plonker.
__________________
coasting, few quotes are worthy of him, and of those, even fewer printable in a family forum......quote 3alarmer

No @coasting, you should stay 100% as you are right now, don't change a thing....quote Heathpack
coasting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-13, 05:40 AM   #91
Campag4life
Banned.
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 10,655
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenji666 View Post
Burning calories and fat by muscles requires oxygen, which requires higher HR.
Because my diet hasn't changed much, and really my riding distance hasn't increased in the last month, having dropped more weight recently, I believe you may have identified the root cause...improvement in fitness aka ability to ride faster ties into heart rate or even stroke volume of the heart. I am riding faster with less effort without a doubt.
Campag4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-13, 05:42 AM   #92
kenji666
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: On yer left
Bikes:
Posts: 1,648
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Good for you! /thread
kenji666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-13, 05:44 AM   #93
Campag4life
Banned.
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 10,655
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by coasting View Post
Sweating? Are you serious?

Unfortunately I have found that exercise is not enough without reducing calorie intake, but calorie intake is enough without exercise (but better with exercise of course). Changing eating habits is the only way and there are plenty of ways to achieve this and not all will work for all people.


But seriously...sweat? What a plonker.
Insults on the 41 seem to be at a fever pitch. Plonker? Dude, you started the thread about moving your saddle a cm. Project much?...lol.
Also, you are wrong in what you wrote. Double Plonker? Ratio of diet to exercise is well known in terms of calorie balance. I said I didn't change my diet.
Campag4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-13, 05:45 AM   #94
Campag4life
Banned.
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 10,655
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenji666 View Post
Good for you! /thread
Thanks
Campag4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-13, 05:47 AM   #95
coasting 
Still can't climb
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Limey in Taiwan
Bikes:
Posts: 22,645
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
People lose weight more in the summer because when it is hot we eat less.
__________________
coasting, few quotes are worthy of him, and of those, even fewer printable in a family forum......quote 3alarmer

No @coasting, you should stay 100% as you are right now, don't change a thing....quote Heathpack
coasting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-13, 05:49 AM   #96
Campag4life
Banned.
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 10,655
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelreason View Post
Fat folks often erroneously equate sweating with increased weight loss and exertion. But I've seen many dripping wet just reaching for the Cheetos, so....
And while we are at it, its the increased metabolism, reduced perceived hunger (not to mention idle time) along with the changes in how the body handles ingested calories in active/fit folks which leads to weight loss. Do the math on how long it would take to burn just one Big Mac and a Pepsi, and you'll see there aren't enough open treadmills at the gym to make that work no matter how much plastic you wrap yourself in....
The fat folks analogy which is comical is irrelevant in my case because I am not fat...not in the least. I don't eat big macs or soda or Cheetos. I also don't drink much alcohol. But the hunger problem of sickly people is real...begetting more calorie consumption including the wrong kind of foods as you point out. Maybe the MD's that have trolled in this thread could come and explain the relationship between insulin and hunger...lol.
Campag4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-13, 05:51 AM   #97
Campag4life
Banned.
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 10,655
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by coasting View Post
People lose weight more in the summer because when it is hot we eat less.
You may. But my diet seriously has been pretty much unaltered. Yes I ride more in the summer. Same diet. Weight loss I am speaking of has been recent in the hot weather as I have been riding pretty steadily since April.
Campag4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-13, 05:54 AM   #98
coasting 
Still can't climb
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Limey in Taiwan
Bikes:
Posts: 22,645
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campag4life View Post
You may. But my diet seriously has been pretty much unaltered. Yes I ride more in the summer. Same diet. Weight loss I am speaking of has been recent in the hot weather as I have been riding pretty steadily since April.
But you are not a fat person. Fat people over eat. So the summer heat effect on over eating is relevant for real weight loss in fat people and not you skinny sweating a bucket.
__________________
coasting, few quotes are worthy of him, and of those, even fewer printable in a family forum......quote 3alarmer

No @coasting, you should stay 100% as you are right now, don't change a thing....quote Heathpack
coasting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-13, 06:34 AM   #99
Campag4life
Banned.
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 10,655
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by coasting View Post
But you are not a fat person. Fat people over eat. So the summer heat effect on over eating is relevant for real weight loss in fat people and not you skinny sweating a bucket.
OK...its relevant for fat people then and maybe a position on the subject should be posted for fat guys reading this thread. It just isn't relevant to my recent weight loss.
Campag4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-13, 07:49 AM   #100
WhyFi
Senior Member
 
WhyFi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Got a castle in - er, Minneapolis, that's where I dwell!
Bikes: 2009 Jamis Xenith
Posts: 12,873
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Dude thinks that he's losing weight by sweating canola oil, yet the people that don't take him seriously are trolls. #41ier
WhyFi is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:50 PM.