Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (http://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycling/)
-   -   Aero Road Jerseys - Who's In? (http://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycling/899635-aero-road-jerseys-whos.html)

Dunbar 07-04-13 10:23 PM

Aero Road Jerseys - Who's In?
 
Looks like aero road jerseys are making a big showing at the TDF. Who's ready to look like a tri geek to save 12 watts at 40kph?

"Castelli claims that the new jersey is 12 watts faster than the old version at 40 kph; that’s 12 watts faster than a piece of kit that was already at the top of the aero game. How much can be gained over a traditional, flappy jersey? “In the range of 32 watts at 50 kph,” said Castelli brand manager Steven Smith."

http://cdn.velonews.competitor.com/f...14-659x440.jpg

http://velonews.competitor.com/2013/...-jersey_293482

MikeyBoyAz 07-05-13 12:19 AM

how do those work with Aero bellies?

canam73 07-05-13 07:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeyBoyAz (Post 15816378)
how do those work with Aero bellies?

You would have to switch to disc brakes, too.

cmc0108 07-05-13 07:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeyBoyAz (Post 15816378)
how do those work with Aero bellies?

The aero belly actually creates a little bit of lift thus causing less road friction saving you about 287 watts @ 10kph

kenji666 07-05-13 07:24 AM

Do you have to wear one of those silly looking Air Attack helmets to gain full advantage?

roadwarrior 07-05-13 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kenji666 (Post 15816797)
Do you have to wear one of those silly looking Air Attack helmets to gain full advantage?

They look like something riot police would wear.

When you are riding in a pack of a 100 or so people, like in the Tour, there's not a lot of "aero" when you are being pulled along.

Bah Humbug 07-05-13 07:40 AM

They have sleeves, so they won't make you look like a tri geek.

hhnngg1 07-05-13 08:01 AM

That guy's arm is thinner than my 3-year old daughter's.

canam73 07-05-13 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hhnngg1 (Post 15816951)
That guy's arm is thinner than my 3-year old daughter's.

Is she faster than you, too?

David Broon 07-05-13 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roadwarrior (Post 15816832)
They look like something riot police would wear.

When you are riding in a pack of a 100 or so people, like in the Tour, there's not a lot of "aero" when you are being pulled along.

#MarginalGains #AeroIsEverything

hhnngg1 07-05-13 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by canam73 (Post 15817092)
Is she faster than you, too?

Not yet but ask me in 12 yrs and she might be

RJM 07-05-13 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hhnngg1 (Post 15816951)
That guy's arm is thinner than my 3-year old daughter's.

Seriously girl arms. So true.

pallen 07-05-13 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeyBoyAz (Post 15816378)
how do those work with Aero bellies?

Aero belly + Aero jersey is banned by the UCI. Its an unfair advantage.

bigfred 07-05-13 12:48 PM

Mrs. Fred watching Greipel win stage 6, "Were those muscles on his shoulders? I didn't realize cyclists could have upper body muscles."

reply, "His shoulders aren't that muscular. It's just that his arms are so skinny."

Mark my words, the next big thing in aero will be to maintain a 5 o'clock shadow on your legs. You see, the hair stubble attacks as turbulators, energizing the boundary layer with a thin non-laminar layer that decreases surface friction.

Leinster 07-05-13 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigfred (Post 15817926)
Mark my words, the next big thing in aero will be to maintain a 5 o'clock shadow on your legs. You see, the hair stubble attacks as turbulators, energizing the boundary layer with a thin non-laminar layer that decreases surface friction.

Just like the dimples on a golf ball. Only manlier.

Urymoto 07-05-13 01:02 PM

Wat a bunch of bull****. 12 watts my ass.


regular schmoes would be dumb to buy this

Dunbar 07-05-13 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 15816856)
They have sleeves, so they won't make you look like a tri geek.

I think they look like a short sleeve skin suit. Griepel flashed his belly yesterday wearing one as he celebrated his stage win.

http://cdn.velonews.competitor.com/f...el-659x440.jpg

Bah Humbug 07-05-13 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dunbar (Post 15818268)
I think they look like a short sleeve skin suit. Griepel flashed his belly yesterday wearing one as he celebrated his stage win.

http://cdn.velonews.competitor.com/f...el-659x440.jpg

Skinsuits should stay as one-pieces.

surgeonstone 07-05-13 02:27 PM

When they start making them out of Merino wool i shall be the first in line.

RJM 07-05-13 02:28 PM

Did Sagan lose because he wasn't wearing one? I can't tell from the picture.

Dunbar 07-05-13 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RJM (Post 15818300)
Did Sagan lose because he wasn't wearing one? I can't tell from the picture.

Yes, he got 2nd place and wasn't wearing one :)

Leinster 07-05-13 02:41 PM

Am I alone in being a bit surprised it took this long for this to happen? I've never fully understood why a rider would wear one outfit in a time trial, and then set out the next day wearing an outfit that isn't as fast.

Wesley36 07-05-13 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigfred (Post 15817926)
Mark my words, the next big thing in aero will be to maintain a 5 o'clock shadow on your legs. You see, the hair stubble attacks as turbulators, energizing the boundary layer with a thin non-laminar layer that decreases surface friction.

http://m.guardian.co.uk/environment/...sts-shave-legs

Quote:

When it comes to the aerodynamic properties of depilation, Burrows recommends a Mohican for your legs.

"If you've got a little bit of hair on your legs it will turbulate [sic] the air so you get a better flow. Now this in itself creates friction, so you don't want all your leg hairy you just want two thin strips, each about 10mm wide, just before the sides of your legs – though you will look really stupid.


You need the turbulent boundary layer – provided by these strips of hair - to get the air around the corner, and you need a smooth layer for it to flow over. But the leg is such a rubbish shape that ideally you want an aerofoil on the back of it."

Bah Humbug 07-05-13 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wesley36 (Post 15818407)

Yeah, I'd rather be a tiny bit slower and smooth.

canam73 07-05-13 03:08 PM

Can't wait until the arm and leg airfoils come out. It's gonna look good.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:43 AM.