Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (http://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycling/)
-   -   Gerry Hull was right. Front Derailleurs suck. (http://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycling/899699-gerry-hull-right-front-derailleurs-suck.html)

halfspeed 07-05-13 10:18 AM

Gerry Hull was right. Front Derailleurs suck.
 
1 Attachment(s)
Had to baby it in on the little ring.

David Broon 07-05-13 10:24 AM

Nice! I know on my single-ring cx bike it's great. Still unsure for the road though.

rjones28 07-05-13 10:40 AM

Why not the big ring?

TommyBing 07-05-13 10:44 AM

I've seen Gerry Hull beat Durian Rider to death in a bare-handed boxing match in Calcutta in 1882.

halfspeed 07-05-13 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 15817504)
Why not the big ring?

Throwing the chain.

David Bierbaum 07-05-13 11:34 AM

If it throws the chain in the big gear without a front derailleur, I think you have bigger problems than just the front derailleur...

pallen 07-05-13 11:39 AM

High cadence drill?

How did that happen? FDs don't usually get a lot of stress - especially not on the band like that.

halfspeed 07-05-13 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pallen (Post 15817691)
High cadence drill?

How did that happen? FDs don't usually get a lot of stress - especially not on the band like that.

No idea. It started not shifting to the big ring. When I stopped to check it out, the FD was hanging low and the cage was rubbing the big ring.

halfspeed 07-05-13 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Bierbaum (Post 15817683)
If it throws the chain in the big gear without a front derailleur, I think you have bigger problems than just the front derailleur...

Not really interested in your opinion.

David Bierbaum 07-05-13 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by halfspeed (Post 15817717)
Not really interested in your opinion.

:)

hokie cycler 07-05-13 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by halfspeed (Post 15817717)
Not really interested in your opinion.

Then why are you whining about this on a message board?

halfspeed 07-05-13 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hokie cycler (Post 15818080)
Then why are you whining about this on a message board?

If I had a question, I would have asked it. I'm just here vindicating our erstwhile sensei.

Campag4life 07-05-13 01:46 PM

hmmm...not to derail this thread ;) but...what do you think halfspeed? cage caught and broke clamp...or clamp failed and derailleur fell off?
If there wasn't a defining moment when riding, I would say the clamp fatigued and failed after the last shift aka side load. Clamp failure could have been helped along by too much clamp force...or not enough. Hard to know.

Bah Humbug 07-05-13 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by halfspeed (Post 15818124)
vindicating our erstwhile sensei.

Speak English, Einstein.

FatherAlabaster 07-05-13 01:57 PM

He's saying he knows what kind of man he is. A 1x10 man.

halfspeed 07-05-13 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Campag4life (Post 15818139)
hmmm...not to derail this thread ;) but...what do you think halfspeed? cage caught and broke clamp...or clamp failed and derailleur fell off?
If there wasn't a defining moment when riding, I would say the clamp fatigued and failed after the last shift aka side load. Clamp failure could have been helped along by too much clamp force...or not enough. Hard to know.

I think the clamp just snapped. The only indication of anything being wrong was that the derailleur wouldn't go back into the big ring after heading down a hill after a climb. The only other damage to the derailleur was to the outer cage where it was rubbing the big ring.

Bah Humbug 07-05-13 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FatherAlabaster (Post 15818171)
He's saying he knows what kind of man he is. A 1x10 man.

Per another current thread, he's been 11s for several years now.

FatherAlabaster 07-05-13 04:00 PM

Didn't you watch the video? It doesn't really matter what you ride. 1x10 is a state of being.

ahsposo 07-05-13 04:43 PM

I'll stick with my compact double, thanks.

Velo Vol 07-05-13 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by halfspeed (Post 15817717)
Not really interested in your opinion.

Why not?

Velo Vol 07-05-13 05:04 PM

Where is [MENTION=213373]Gerry Hull[/MENTION]?

Bah Humbug 07-05-13 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 15818779)
Where is @Gerry Hull?

Banhammered.

halfspeed 07-05-13 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 15818779)
Where is [MENTION=213373]Gerry Hull[/MENTION]?

Banned. But hopefully reading this thread and laughing.

Dudelsack 07-05-13 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Campag4life (Post 15818139)
hmmm...not to derail this thread ;) but...

Hey!

RT 07-05-13 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FatherAlabaster (Post 15818608)
Didn't you watch the video? It doesn't really matter what you ride. 1x10 is a state of being.

[video=youtube;a7ssTQxntcs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7ssTQxntcs[/video]


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:40 AM.