Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 12 of 12
BikesDirect.com
  1. #1
    Still can't climb
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Limey in Taiwan
    Posts
    21,485
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

    Bike fit ... my epiphany.

    The bike fit discussions always amuse me. Over the years I've noticed how my comfort has shifted around. What seemed a good position for a long time became less so.

    Today I found that terrain will change the optimal position. Having had the same saddle height for years, I raised it about half a cm and pushed the saddle back 1 cm too. I had set the bike up for rolling hills in England and now that I am doing rides that are long periods of climbing, I noticed a lack of room to exert myself on the upstroke and a lack of room to really stretch my legs on the downstroke. "How odd," I thought to myself. I have always spun easily in this position. Surely I cannot make such a drastic change mid ride? "Fortune favours the brave," I heard in my head. This must be a sign like that which Saint Paul experienced! So I did it.

    All is good now. I climbed like a mountain goat this morning. I even overtook some people going up.
    coasting, few quotes are worthy of him, and of those, even fewer printable in a family forum......quote 3alarmer

    No @coasting, you should stay 100% as you are right now, don't change a thing....quote Heathpack

  2. #2
    Senior Member surgeonstone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    South Bend IN
    My Bikes
    Merlin Lunaris
    Posts
    9,468
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by coasting View Post
    The bike fit discussions always amuse me. Over the years I've noticed how my comfort has shifted around. What seemed a good position for a long time became less so.

    Today I found that terrain will change the optimal position. Having had the same saddle height for years, I raised it about half a cm and pushed the saddle back 1 cm too. I had set the bike up for rolling hills in England and now that I am doing rides that are long periods of climbing, I noticed a lack of room to exert myself on the upstroke and a lack of room to really stretch my legs on the downstroke. "How odd," I thought to myself. I have always spun easily in this position. Surely I cannot make such a drastic change mid ride? "Fortune favours the brave," I heard in my head. This must be a sign like that which Saint Paul experienced! So I did it.

    All is good now. I climbed like a mountain goat this morning. I even overtook some people going up.
    Sure you can and don't call me Shirley.

  3. #3
    Long Distance Cyclist Machka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    I ride where the thylacine roamed!
    My Bikes
    Lots
    Posts
    42,139
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just watch for Achilles tendon issues. A higher saddle height + lots of climbing can = Achilles tendon tears.


    But yes, lots of things can change fit requirements. You can spend hundreds of dollars on a "professional fit" and then your situation can change and the bicycle doesn't fit quite right anymore.

    Some of the things that can alter your fit are:

    -- stronger core
    -- weaker core
    -- increased fitness
    -- decreased fitness
    -- increased flexibility
    -- decreased flexibility
    -- weight gain
    -- weight loss
    -- injury
    -- getting older
    -- terrain changes

  4. #4
    Still can't climb
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Limey in Taiwan
    Posts
    21,485
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    I have lost a fair bit of weight and I have gotten fitter and I have ridden more this year. No wonder the feel wasn't right.
    coasting, few quotes are worthy of him, and of those, even fewer printable in a family forum......quote 3alarmer

    No @coasting, you should stay 100% as you are right now, don't change a thing....quote Heathpack

  5. #5
    Senior Member surgeonstone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    South Bend IN
    My Bikes
    Merlin Lunaris
    Posts
    9,468
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Machka View Post
    Just watch for Achilles tendon issues. A higher saddle height + lots of climbing can = Achilles tendon tears.


    But yes, lots of things can change fit requirements. You can spend hundreds of dollars on a "professional fit" and then your situation can change and the bicycle doesn't fit quite right anymore.

    Some of the things that can alter your fit are:

    -- stronger core
    -- weaker core
    -- increased fitness
    -- decreased fitness
    -- increased flexibility
    -- decreased flexibility
    -- weight gain
    -- weight loss
    -- injury
    -- getting older
    -- terrain changes
    I think you're forgetting something Machka...what is it.....oh yeah whether you are gay or not.

  6. #6
    Still can't climb
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Limey in Taiwan
    Posts
    21,485
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by surgeonstone View Post
    I think you're forgetting something Machka...what is it.....oh yeah whether you are gay or not.
    I've developed an appreciation for musical theatre this year too.

    coasting, few quotes are worthy of him, and of those, even fewer printable in a family forum......quote 3alarmer

    No @coasting, you should stay 100% as you are right now, don't change a thing....quote Heathpack

  7. #7
    Potential Member ahsposo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    In my Crib
    My Bikes
    A Home Built All Rounder, Bianchi 928, Specialized Langster, Dahon Folder
    Posts
    7,037
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Voices in your head...
    You can further the brotherhood of man by eliminating class.
    You can lift the wage earner up by equalizing earnings.
    You can bring about prosperity by overturning the holders of power.
    You can strengthen the weak by eating the the strong.
    You can help the poor by destroying the rich.

  8. #8
    Senior Member surgeonstone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    South Bend IN
    My Bikes
    Merlin Lunaris
    Posts
    9,468
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by coasting View Post
    I've developed an appreciation for musical theatre this year too.

    My 20 month old GD sings Oh what a beautiful morning all day and every day. Loves that musical.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    My Bikes
    Specialized Sirrus Comp
    Posts
    696
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Machka View Post
    Just watch for Achilles tendon issues. A higher saddle height + lots of climbing can = Achilles tendon tears.
    Hamstrings too. For me too high saddle led to hamstring tendinitis. LLD also contributed.

  10. #10
    Senior Member datlas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Malvern, PA (20 miles West of Philly)
    My Bikes
    1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix
    Posts
    15,706
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I am thinking you lost about 5mm of blubber on your backside which has the effect of lowering your effective saddle height...so you had to raise it to counteract that.
    Quote Originally Posted by RUOkie View Post
    never underestimate the idiocy of BF.

  11. #11
    Senior Member datlas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Malvern, PA (20 miles West of Philly)
    My Bikes
    1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix
    Posts
    15,706
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by datlas View Post
    I am thinking you lost about 5mm of blubber on your backside which has the effect of lowering your effective saddle height...so you had to raise it to counteract that.
    Corollary: remember to lower it if/when you get fat again.
    Quote Originally Posted by RUOkie View Post
    never underestimate the idiocy of BF.

  12. #12
    Still can't climb
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Limey in Taiwan
    Posts
    21,485
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Datlas is obviously a thinker.
    coasting, few quotes are worthy of him, and of those, even fewer printable in a family forum......quote 3alarmer

    No @coasting, you should stay 100% as you are right now, don't change a thing....quote Heathpack

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •