Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-09-13, 01:27 PM   #76
eja_ bottecchia
Senior Member
 
eja_ bottecchia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 3,508
Quote:
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh View Post
Finally, the "last word argument" is inherently argumentative. By asserting I have to have the last word, you create a catch 22; you can say whatever you want, and I have to leave it unrebutted, or I'm gulity of having to have the last word. Thus by raising the isssue, you yourself are angling to have " the last word."
You have just proved my point...enjoy your Chinese bike.
eja_ bottecchia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-13, 11:50 PM   #77
Peiper1
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Peiper1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Toronto, Canada
Bikes: 2012 Trek Madone 5.2
Posts: 191
"1200 grams for a CF frame these days is a boat anchor. I stand by my opinion that I don't get $5900 for dated technology for a heavy frame."

I fully expect that my new C59 will weight at least 1 lb. more than my Madone 5.2, but who cares? What's important here is that it's a Colnago. I guess I'll have a good dilemma come next year, ride a really great bike one day (Madone 5.2), then ride an even greater bike the next day (C59).


"Thus the case for the C59 appears to come down to things like name, looks, italian heritage."

You are 100% correct. Same rationale applies to Ferraris. Or do you really believe people buy those because they are great value? The thing is, I fully expect that I will never come even close to getting the maximum out of the Colnago's capabilities, but I will look and feel might good on it .... and my wife will look even better on hers .
Peiper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-13, 11:54 PM   #78
Peiper1
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Peiper1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Toronto, Canada
Bikes: 2012 Trek Madone 5.2
Posts: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia View Post
You have just proved my point...enjoy your Chinese bike.
Awesome .... +1
Peiper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-13, 01:26 AM   #79
Jed19 
Senior Member
 
Jed19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 4,228
I am not going to get into whether C59s are excellent bikes or not. I believe they are. Merlin does raise an important point though. And that is the fact that Colnagos are not getting light as quickly as some of the competition. 1200 grams today is quite heavy for a carbon frame. I have a LeMond monocoque carbon frame from 2007 that is 970 grams on the money for a size 55.

I suspect that a lot of modern Colnago buyers are not primarily after performance. The heritage, name etc seems to be the jump-off point, even if subconsciously.
__________________
Regards,

Jed
Jed19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-13, 07:32 AM   #80
eja_ bottecchia
Senior Member
 
eja_ bottecchia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 3,508
I could have bought any bike that I wanted in the same price range as my C59. I chose the C59 after carefully researching the pros and cons of other bike brands. After careful consideration (you don't plop $10K plus on a bike on a whim unless you have Oprah money) I chose the Colnago C59 because it offers the best combination of performance, quality, aesthetics, value (yes Value, compare the prices of used Colnago bikes to the prices of other brands) and fun to ride factor.

To write, as Jed wrote, that a lot of modern Colnago buyers are not into performance and buy Colnagos primarily because of the cache of the Colnago name and tradition, is insulting, demeaning, uninformed...and just plain stupid.

Now, I am off to ride my cache-laden, heritage rich, name-recognition C59. May others ride what they want...you just can't wipe the GRIN on my face every time I mount my C59.

Ciao baby!
eja_ bottecchia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-13, 08:41 AM   #81
StanSeven
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: No Va but ride also in So Md
Bikes: Cervelo SLC-SL, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX
Posts: 11,669
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peiper1 View Post
"1200 grams for a CF frame these days is a boat anchor. I stand by my opinion that I don't get $5900 for dated technology for a heavy frame."

I fully expect that my new C59 will weight at least 1 lb. more than my Madone 5.2, but who cares? What's important here is that it's a Colnago. I guess I'll have a good dilemma come next year, ride a really great bike one day (Madone 5.2), then ride an even greater bike the next day (C59).


"Thus the case for the C59 appears to come down to things like name, looks, italian heritage."

You are 100% correct. Same rationale applies to Ferraris. Or do you really believe people buy those because they are great value? The thing is, I fully expect that I will never come even close to getting the maximum out of the Colnago's capabilities, but I will look and feel might good on it .... and my wife will look even better on hers .
This is a very objective and honest assessment. There's nothing wrong about making a buying decision on name and heritage. Most of the Colnago owners I know have one today because they are the bike they dreamed of years ago when they didn't have the money.
StanSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-13, 09:11 AM   #82
gc3 
Falls Downalot
 
gc3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: DC
Bikes: Now I Got Two
Posts: 3,102
I test rode the Colnago before I settled on a Parlee. It rode like it was on rails, the most solid I've ever felt, and I didn't notice the extra weight.
__________________
"I tried being reasonable, I didn‘t like it."
"I understand. I just don't care"
"I don't give a f*ck" if they remember me at all" (F. Zappa)
gc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-13, 10:59 AM   #83
Jed19 
Senior Member
 
Jed19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 4,228
Quote:
Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia View Post
I could have bought any bike that I wanted in the same price range as my C59. I chose the C59 after carefully researching the pros and cons of other bike brands. After careful consideration (you don't plop $10K plus on a bike on a whim unless you have Oprah money) I chose the Colnago C59 because it offers the best combination of performance, quality, aesthetics, value (yes Value, compare the prices of used Colnago bikes to the prices of other brands) and fun to ride factor.

To write, as Jed wrote, that a lot of modern Colnago buyers are not into performance and buy Colnagos primarily because of the cache of the Colnago name and tradition, is insulting, demeaning, uninformed...and just plain stupid.

Now, I am off to ride my cache-laden, heritage rich, name-recognition C59. May others ride what they want...you just can't wipe the GRIN on my face every time I mount my C59.

Ciao baby!
Colnagos are fabulous bikes. My riding buddy just bought a C40 recently. I test-rode it, and one thing that jumped straight at me was the 'solid and stable' feel. Yes, they do hold their value. And I don't mean to imply that you, as a rider, is not into performance. An important point made by StanSeven is the fact that people like me lusted after Italian name steel bikes as college students, but when we could finally afford them, technology had moved on (carbon frames, specifically).

Colnago does have the cachet and the pedigree, though.
__________________
Regards,

Jed
Jed19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-13, 04:16 PM   #84
eja_ bottecchia
Senior Member
 
eja_ bottecchia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 3,508
Cachet...I hate it when the iPad's auto-spell changes my words. TWICE EVEN!
eja_ bottecchia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-13, 05:37 PM   #85
fauxto nick
Cat 3 Meter - Don't Care
 
fauxto nick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Los Angeles
Bikes:
Posts: 3,893
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jed19 View Post
I am not going to get into whether C59s are excellent bikes or not. I believe they are. Merlin does raise an important point though. And that is the fact that Colnagos are not getting light as quickly as some of the competition. 1200 grams today is quite heavy for a carbon frame. I have a LeMond monocoque carbon frame from 2007 that is 970 grams on the money for a size 55.

I suspect that a lot of modern Colnago buyers are not primarily after performance. The heritage, name etc seems to be the jump-off point, even if subconsciously.
Are you sure a c59 weighs in at 1100 for the frameset?!?!? I've seen plenty of Sub 15.5 lb C59's easy. My CAAD10 frameset weighs in at 1150 for a 54. Doesn't make sense. I know it's like than the Dogma and that frame is sub 1000.
fauxto nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-13, 08:14 PM   #86
StanSeven
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: No Va but ride also in So Md
Bikes: Cervelo SLC-SL, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX
Posts: 11,669
1200g is the weight most everywhere I've seen including what lots of owners say. 1206 is what Excel includes in their catalog as well.

The Dogma is no where near that light. Pinarello claims 920g for a "raw" frame. Add paint and seat post clamp and it's closer to 1100g. Dogmas also have a heavy fork and seat post and the overall bike is heavy. I looked at both these when I considered my last buy.

Last edited by StanSeven; 08-10-13 at 08:32 PM.
StanSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-13, 05:44 PM   #87
eja_ bottecchia
Senior Member
 
eja_ bottecchia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 3,508
The Pope's bike...

eja_ bottecchia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-13, 10:12 PM   #88
Midwest Ullrich
Midwest Ullrich
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 254
[QUOTE=eja_ bottecchia;15969174]The Pope's bike...

What a proud achievement as a bicycle builder! Any follow-up photo(s) showing the Pope riding the bike?
Midwest Ullrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-13, 10:16 PM   #89
eja_ bottecchia
Senior Member
 
eja_ bottecchia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 3,508
[QUOTE=Midwest Ullrich;15969798]
Quote:
Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia View Post
The Pope's bike...

What a proud achievement as a bicycle builder! Any follow-up photo(s) showing the Pope riding the bike?
I have not seen one with the Pope in full Papal kit riding a Colnago....but that would be sooooooooo cool.
eja_ bottecchia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-13, 07:21 PM   #90
AbsoluteZ3RO
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 611
I can't believe weight is even a discussion here. Both the C59 and the Dogma can be 15lb bikes with the right equipment. The tour pros don't appear to struggle too much on their Dogmas or C59s... you won't either.
AbsoluteZ3RO is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:25 AM.