Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    620
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Can you tell me the difference between Continental GP4000s and Grand Prix 4000s?

    So what's the difference between these 2 Continental tires?

    Continental GP4000s
    Continental Grand Prix 4000s

    I see the Grand Prix is a few dollars more.

    I've been running Michelin's for many sets - Pro3s and a couple sets of Pro4's but want to switch now after getting a weird cut on a new one.

    Thanks.

  2. #2
    Certifiable Bike "Expert"
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    5,588
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dunno, what does the "GP" in GP4000s stand for? I'm cudgeling my brains here, and I can't figure it out.




    At some point not too long ago, Continental changed the label on the tire and started spelling out the "Grand Prix". I think the "GP4000s" you're looking at might be an older model. that's all I can come up with.
    I don't even use the offensive term "Fred." -- Sheldon "All Cyclists Are My Friends" Brown (1944-2008)

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    620
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah I never knew to differentiate them either and thought like you. But now I see them listed on probikekit.com and merlincycles.com separately, and apparently the Grand Prix are a few bucks more.

  4. #4
    Senior Member datlas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Malvern, PA (20 miles West of Philly)
    My Bikes
    1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix
    Posts
    13,236
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You sure you are not confusing GP4000 and GP4000s??

    The 4000 (no s) come in different colors and do not have the black chili compound unless they are black.

    The 4000s only comes in black and also has black chili.
    Quote Originally Posted by RUOkie View Post
    never underestimate the idiocy of BF.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    620
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by datlas View Post
    You sure you are not confusing GP4000 and GP4000s??

    The 4000 (no s) come in different colors and do not have the black chili compound unless they are black.

    The 4000s only comes in black and also has black chili.
    No, look:

    GP4000s: http://www.probikekit.com/bicycle-ty.../10780063.html
    Twin pack: http://www.probikekit.com/bicycle-ty.../10779986.html

    And Grand Prix 4000s Twin Pack: http://www.probikekit.com/cycling-ac.../10838844.html

    Lastly - a tire being called both GP4000s and Grand Prix 4000s in the description: http://www.merlincycles.com/bike-sho...e-gp4000s.html

    I don't get it. But PBK seems to differentiate with pictures, description and a couple more dollars. But I still don't get it!

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    620
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just saw these guys: http://www.merlincycles.com/bike-sho...yres-pair.html

    Maybe I'll keep it simpler and get them!

  7. #7
    token triathlete Bah Humbug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    On the trainer
    My Bikes
    Cervelo New P3 Cervelo S1
    Posts
    5,942
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The S is the important part. I have no idea what's up with their site, but just get the second one on your list. The s on the otherwise all-black sidewall is what you want.
    #giantsfansforgarrett

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    620
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bah Humbug View Post
    The S is the important part. I have no idea what's up with their site, but just get the second one on your list. The s on the otherwise all-black sidewall is what you want.
    but they all have the S! Thanks. I like that force attack combo.

  9. #9
    token triathlete Bah Humbug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    On the trainer
    My Bikes
    Cervelo New P3 Cervelo S1
    Posts
    5,942
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FasterNearGirls View Post
    but they all have the S! Thanks. I like that force attack combo.
    Attack/ Force, as I understand, is very short-lived. Get this:

    http://www.probikekit.com/bicycle-ty...n=AffiliateWin

    Just do it and thank us. Again, I have no idea what's going on over there. Maybe an intern got confused. Trust me, those are right.
    #giantsfansforgarrett

  10. #10
    Senior Member kleng's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Perth, Australia and sometimes Penang Malaysia
    My Bikes
    Litespeed L1r, Litespeed Ghisallo 07, TCR Advanced Team SL 0 ISP, Giant TCR Advanced SL, Giant TCR Advanced Team - Tmobile
    Posts
    1,879
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    +1 there is no difference, just that buying a set gives you a few bucks discount

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    620
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Haha ok I trust you. Thanks!

  12. #12
    Banned.
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Brighton UK
    My Bikes
    20" Folder, Road Bike
    Posts
    1,664
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

    The GP4000s is a folding tyre, the Grand Prix 4000s isn't.
    Folding tyres, kevlar bead, are usually a little more
    than a non-folding wired bead and a little lighter.

    rgds, sreten.

    The Force Attacks don't look like folding tyres.

  13. #13
    Senior Member DaveWC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,121
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FasterNearGirls View Post
    No, look:
    Look at a listing from those links... can you find both tires?


  14. #14
    Pentapointed Member ahsposo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    On Some Far Away Beach After the Season is Over...
    My Bikes
    A Home Built All Rounder, Bianchi 928, Specialized Langster, Dahon Folder
    Posts
    6,365
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sreten View Post
    Hi,

    The GP4000s is a folding tyre, the Grand Prix 4000s isn't.
    Folding tyres, kevlar bead, are usually a little more
    than a non-folding wired bead and a little lighter.

    rgds, sreten.

    The Force Attacks don't look like folding tyres.
    The tires you mention are all foldable. Not available any other way.

    http://www.conti-online.com/www/bicy...kforce_en.html

    http://www.conti-online.com/www/bicy...dp4000_en.html

    http://www.conti-online.com/www/bicy...p4000S_en.html
    Quote Originally Posted by toddles View Post
    If I gotta look up words, it's not worth my time.

  15. #15
    Senior Member SpeshulEd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Peoria, AZ
    Posts
    3,389
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As others have said, they're the same, that's just PBK being stupid.

    Most likely, the twin pack is shipped from the vendor as a different SKU/UPC than the singles. Most likely 23mm x2 was done in house by PBK with two singles. The descriptions were written by two different people. When the markdowns happen, they're most likely affected differently because of the different SKUs and no one has caught it yet because it's a sweeping discount across several items.
    Hey guys, lets go play bikes!

    Strava

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    620
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SpeshulEd View Post
    As others have said, they're the same, that's just PBK being stupid.

    Most likely, the twin pack is shipped from the vendor as a different SKU/UPC than the singles. Most likely 23mm x2 was done in house by PBK with two singles. The descriptions were written by two different people. When the markdowns happen, they're most likely affected differently because of the different SKUs and no one has caught it yet because it's a sweeping discount across several items.

    Yeah that's definitely it. I also noticed on PBK that you can buy the GP4000S for $39.99, but if you look at all tires by brand / Continental, you'll also find GP4000S + free inner tube for $39.99! This thread serves as a lesson!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •