Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 33
  1. #1
    An un-oiled squeaky wheel kaisersling's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    NJ
    My Bikes
    2013 Wilier Triestina Gran Turismo, Mercian King of Mercia (Floppy); Fuji 500X; GT backwoods; Tour de Suisse; Diamond Back Interval
    Posts
    441
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    My new Wilier Gran Turismo!

    Just picked it up last night! 2013 Wilier Grand Turismo (Ultegra and FSA equipped). Now I just need the weather to clear up so I can ride. I refuse to let my first ride to be on a trainer, so I'll just have to wait for the snow to clear up. It will give me a little time to order my bottle cages and other bits and pieces. Judging by my goofy grin, you can tell I am pretty stoked.

    wilier.jpg
    "Gravity is a harsh mistress."

  2. #2
    Senior Member noise boy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Baltimore
    My Bikes
    Cannondale CAAD9
    Posts
    725
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very nice, you know what to do, clear the snow out from the front of your garage door and get a BF approved pic!

  3. #3
    Senior Member climberguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    central ohio
    My Bikes
    better than I deserve
    Posts
    259
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice bike. I have one, too (2012), same color, but white bar tape (see my avatar). It likes to go fast. Enjoy.
    And I did it all clean.

  4. #4
    Senior Member seymour1910's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Hampton, VA
    My Bikes
    CAAD7
    Posts
    2,034
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^^agree....if no white garage door just use a snow bank

  5. #5
    Senior Member longbeachgary's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Beautiful Long Beach California
    My Bikes
    Eddy Merckx MXL; 2012 CAAD10; 2013 CAAD10 - The Silver and Black; Cannondale CAAD10 DI2 - The Black Dahlia; 2013 Cannondale CAAD10 DI2, The Black Mambo
    Posts
    3,274
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulations. Nice bike.

  6. #6
    An un-oiled squeaky wheel kaisersling's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    NJ
    My Bikes
    2013 Wilier Triestina Gran Turismo, Mercian King of Mercia (Floppy); Fuji 500X; GT backwoods; Tour de Suisse; Diamond Back Interval
    Posts
    441
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am eventually going to swap out the black bar tape for white. And I will have to borrow a garage door All I have is a portable/tent garage. lol
    "Gravity is a harsh mistress."

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    My Bikes
    Roubaix SL4 Expert
    Posts
    2,227
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Willers are some of the nicest looking bikes out there IMO.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    7,819
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I envy you, thats on my list for years

    Report the 1st ride please Congrats

  9. #9
    RidingLikeCrazy! rangerdavid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Boone, North Carolina
    My Bikes
    2009 Cannondale CAAD9-6
    Posts
    4,925
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd be grinning too!!! super SWEET bike!!! ride report please when you get some time in!!!
    *********************************

    Rangerdavid

    2009 Cannondale CAAD 9-6
    2005 Raleigh M40


    Riding the mountains of North Carolina

    I do today what you don't , so I can do tomorrow what you can't

    "Absolutely imbecilic. But typical." ..... pcad

  10. #10
    Senior Member seymour1910's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Hampton, VA
    My Bikes
    CAAD7
    Posts
    2,034
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kaisersling View Post
    I will have to borrow a garage door All I have is a portable/tent garage. lol
    refer to post 4

  11. #11
    An un-oiled squeaky wheel kaisersling's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    NJ
    My Bikes
    2013 Wilier Triestina Gran Turismo, Mercian King of Mercia (Floppy); Fuji 500X; GT backwoods; Tour de Suisse; Diamond Back Interval
    Posts
    441
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ultraman6970 View Post
    I envy you, thats on my list for years

    Report the 1st ride please Congrats
    I have been waiting and saving (and procrastinating) for almost two years. My Mercian, which I built about 10 years ago was getting long in the tooth. (I am going to turn it into a cross/touring bike). The Wilier Izoard initially caught my eye. But then I read all the glowing reports about the Gran Turismo and finally saw it in person. I was immediately smitten. I waited for the right deal and got my GT for close to the price of the Izoard. I will send the 1st ride report ASAP
    "Gravity is a harsh mistress."

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    7,819
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Waterloo
    My Bikes
    2005 Norco CRR2, 1994 Kona Cindercone, 1999 Cannondale R1000D
    Posts
    347
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here comes the caption contest...

  14. #14
    Redefining Lazy Slackerprince's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Tampa via PDX, Summers on LV-426
    My Bikes
    2013 Cannondale Synapse 5 105, 2013 Giant Escape 3
    Posts
    1,570
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They really do make good looking bikes.
    Since it's a 2013, I assume you got a deal.
    FWIW, I like Specialized Rib Cage bottle cages. Just the right tension on bottles.
    Might as well get a pic against a wall, if it's that snowy. I get back past 10 feet, with a flash, and zoom to frame.


    S
    Last edited by Slackerprince; 12-11-13 at 02:34 PM.
    Shut up, everything

  15. #15
    An un-oiled squeaky wheel kaisersling's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    NJ
    My Bikes
    2013 Wilier Triestina Gran Turismo, Mercian King of Mercia (Floppy); Fuji 500X; GT backwoods; Tour de Suisse; Diamond Back Interval
    Posts
    441
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jerrycan42 View Post
    Here comes the caption contest...
    huh?
    "Gravity is a harsh mistress."

  16. #16
    An un-oiled squeaky wheel kaisersling's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    NJ
    My Bikes
    2013 Wilier Triestina Gran Turismo, Mercian King of Mercia (Floppy); Fuji 500X; GT backwoods; Tour de Suisse; Diamond Back Interval
    Posts
    441
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slackerprince View Post
    They really do make good looking bikes.
    Since it's a 2013, I assume you got a deal.
    FWIW, I like Specialized Rib Cage bottle cages. Just the right tension on bottles.
    Might as well get a pic against a wall, if it's that snowy. I get back past 10 feet, with a flash, and zoom to frame.


    S
    Tremendous deal...i think. Plus or minus 40% off.
    "Gravity is a harsh mistress."

  17. #17
    Senior Member climberguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    central ohio
    My Bikes
    better than I deserve
    Posts
    259
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kaisersling View Post
    The Wilier Izoard initially caught my eye. But then I read all the glowing reports about the Gran Turismo and finally saw it in person. I was immediately smitten. I waited for the right deal and got my GT for close to the price of the Izoard.
    That's a good deal. I have both bikes and like them both, but I find them to be very different bikes. I consider the Izoard to be more of a comfort or endurance bike, with a more upright riding position. The GT seems closer to a race bike, with more aggressive geometry, more aero, lighter, and not quite as forgiving on rougher pavement.
    And I did it all clean.

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Basye, VA
    My Bikes
    Trek Domane 5 series, Dura Ace 9070, November Rail 52's
    Posts
    1,300
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's loovely, enjoy (must be light too, the way you're holding it )

  19. #19
    An un-oiled squeaky wheel kaisersling's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    NJ
    My Bikes
    2013 Wilier Triestina Gran Turismo, Mercian King of Mercia (Floppy); Fuji 500X; GT backwoods; Tour de Suisse; Diamond Back Interval
    Posts
    441
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by robbyville View Post
    That's loovely, enjoy (must be light too, the way you're holding it )
    Just a bit
    "Gravity is a harsh mistress."

  20. #20
    An un-oiled squeaky wheel kaisersling's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    NJ
    My Bikes
    2013 Wilier Triestina Gran Turismo, Mercian King of Mercia (Floppy); Fuji 500X; GT backwoods; Tour de Suisse; Diamond Back Interval
    Posts
    441
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by climberguy View Post
    That's a good deal. I have both bikes and like them both, but I find them to be very different bikes. I consider the Izoard to be more of a comfort or endurance bike, with a more upright riding position. The GT seems closer to a race bike, with more aggressive geometry, more aero, lighter, and not quite as forgiving on rougher pavement.
    Yeah my Mercian is very much set up for touring and comfort and I wanted something a bit more racy....I am a bit nervous about the level of aggressiveness but I am sure I will get used to it. Have you done any longer rides on the GT, centuries? One thing I do know, before really putting it through its paces, is that it will be much better in the hills than the Merc. Its three pounds lighter for starters and has a compact crank.
    "Gravity is a harsh mistress."

  21. #21
    Senior Member climberguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    central ohio
    My Bikes
    better than I deserve
    Posts
    259
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kaisersling View Post
    Yeah my Mercian is very much set up for touring and comfort and I wanted something a bit more racy....I am a bit nervous about the level of aggressiveness but I am sure I will get used to it. Have you done any longer rides on the GT, centuries? One thing I do know, before really putting it through its paces, is that it will be much better in the hills than the Merc. Its three pounds lighter for starters and has a compact crank.
    Yes, the GT is a good bike for hills, with light weight and excellent power transfer. I have not ridden the GT for centuries; I've done 50 miles or less per ride on it so far. While the geometry is more aggressive, you should be able to get used to that. One thing I have done is change out the tires, and put 25s on it instead of the 23s it came with. That smoothed out the ride a lot and should make longer distances more comfortable.
    And I did it all clean.

  22. #22
    Senior Member K1196A's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Central PA
    My Bikes
    2013 Wilier Gran Turismo; '87 Centurion Ironman Expert; '11 Trek Paragon
    Posts
    98
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've also got a 2013 (matte)... LOVE IT!!! Enjoy the new bike!!!

  23. #23
    pan y agua merlinextraligh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Jacksonville
    My Bikes
    Wilier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Co-Motion Robusta; Schwinn Paramount; Motobecane Phantom Cross; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er
    Posts
    27,236
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kaisersling View Post
    Yeah my Mercian is very much set up for touring and comfort and I wanted something a bit more racy....I am a bit nervous about the level of aggressiveness but I am sure I will get used to it. Have you done any longer rides on the GT, centuries? One thing I do know, before really putting it through its paces, is that it will be much better in the hills than the Merc. Its three pounds lighter for starters and has a compact crank.
    Quote Originally Posted by climberguy View Post
    Yes, the GT is a good bike for hills, with light weight and excellent power transfer. I have not ridden the GT for centuries; I've done 50 miles or less per ride on it so far. While the geometry is more aggressive, you should be able to get used to that. One thing I have done is change out the tires, and put 25s on it instead of the 23s it came with. That smoothed out the ride a lot and should make longer distances more comfortable.
    This seems backward. The GT is more upright ( ie taller head tube than the Izoard) the Gt is designed to be more relaxed than a full on race bike.

    That said, I find my Zero 7 fine for 7-8 hour rides.
    You could fall off a cliff and die.
    You could get lost and die.
    You could hit a tree and die.
    OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.

  24. #24
    Senior Member climberguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    central ohio
    My Bikes
    better than I deserve
    Posts
    259
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=merlinextraligh;16324418]This seems backward. The GT is more upright ( ie taller head tube than the Izoard) the Gt is designed to be more relaxed than a full on race bike.[QUOTE=merlinextraligh;16324418]

    The head tubes on my bikes are (approx. and not metric, sorry): Izoard 6.1 inches, GT 4.75 inches (not including spacers) (My Izoard is about a size 53; the GT, 51.) You are right that the GT is not a full-on race bike, though some people do race on them. Never heard of anyone racing an Izoard; it's heavier and not nearly as stiff or quick to accelerate.

    I find that the GT puts me in a more aggressive position than the Izoard. Part of that may be due to sizing, which was intentional. I think of the Izoard as an endurance bike, while the GT is ideal for fast club rides. Of course, this is all IMO, and YMMV.
    And I did it all clean.

  25. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    My Bikes
    Roubaix SL4 Expert
    Posts
    2,227
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by merlinextraligh View Post
    That said, I find my Zero 7 fine for 7-8 hour rides.
    How is the ride on the Zero 7? Is it more of a stiff race bike or a relaxed endurance ride?

    This Zero 9 color combo is the sexiest looking bike on the market IMO.


Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •