Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 14 of 121 FirstFirst ... 412131415162464114 ... LastLast
Results 326 to 350 of 3021
  1. #326
    Mostly Harmless rjones28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Chittenango, NY
    My Bikes
    Have two wheels
    Posts
    21,962
    Mentioned
    121 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RollCNY View Post
    By my inexact surveying methodology, 83% of stranded CNY vehicles are Subarus and SUVs. Just because they go through snow doesn't mean they stop in snow. Part of why I have never owned an Automatic is the ability to control speed through the transmission without having to apply the brakes. (or breaks to be #41ier ).
    And pickup trucks.

    When I first moved here, I split my time between Syracuse and Newark, DE. I recall seeing a lot of those type vehicles in the ditch along I-81. Not as much carnage on the PA Turnpike.
    Quote Originally Posted by truckstop View Post
    getting banned from trollheim. does that mean you win?

  2. #327
    Senior Member halfspeed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    SE Minnesota
    My Bikes
    are better than yours.
    Posts
    10,828
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WhyFi View Post
    Your sarcasm meter didn't blip even a little bit at his question?

    I love seeing SUVs on the side of the road. Why people think that being in a taller, heavier vehicle will help them with handle slippery roads better is beyond me.
    BH will feel vindicated.
    Telemachus has, indeed, sneezed.

  3. #328
    Senior Member halfspeed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    SE Minnesota
    My Bikes
    are better than yours.
    Posts
    10,828
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rjones28 View Post
    And pickup trucks.

    When I first moved here, I split my time between Syracuse and Newark, DE. I recall seeing a lot of those type vehicles in the ditch along I-81. Not as much carnage on the PA Turnpike.
    Nothing like an unloaded RWD pickup to make snow driving exciting.
    Telemachus has, indeed, sneezed.

  4. #329
    Senior Member datlas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Malvern, PA (20 miles West of Philly)
    My Bikes
    1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix
    Posts
    13,569
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Can someone help me push that trolling Ti thread over the ledge??
    Quote Originally Posted by RUOkie View Post
    never underestimate the idiocy of BF.

  5. #330
    Senior Member dstrong's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Awesome, Austin, TX
    My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix, Interloc Impala, ParkPre Image C6
    Posts
    3,731
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    After graduating college, I had a FWD Mazda GLC. I used to drive up to Tahoe quite frequently and that thing was a blast in the snow. The highways in the Sierra's have significant banking and there would be times when traffic was slowed or stopped and cars would just settle downhill and collect at the bottom. If a car started to spin in front of you, you could just hold your line and it would slide out of your way before you got there. In the worst conditions, I'd slap on some snow treads.

    2014 Specialized RoubaixOOOOOO 2003 Interloc ImpalaOOOOOO 2007 ParkPre Image C6 (RIP)


  6. #331
    So it is LAJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Westminster, CO
    My Bikes
    81 Puch Luzerne, 90 Schwinn 684, Ridley Boreas, November Wheelhouse
    Posts
    5,948
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrong View Post
    After graduating college, I had a FWD Mazda GLC. I used to drive up to Tahoe quite frequently and that thing was a blast in the snow. The highways in the Sierra's have significant banking and there would be times when traffic was slowed or stopped and cars would just settle downhill and collect at the bottom. If a car started to spin in front of you, you could just hold your line and it would slide out of your way before you got there. In the worst conditions, I'd slap on some snow treads.
    Just like Nascar. Aim for the wreck.
    Quote Originally Posted by rpenmanparker View Post
    Not to be argumentative

  7. #332
    Senior Member truckstop's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    My Bikes
    '10 Felt ZW6, '06 Bianchi San Jose, '04 Giant Yukon
    Posts
    4,262
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    2014 is not starting out so great. ****.

  8. #333
    Casually Deliberate
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    A desirable midtown neighhborhood in Vancouver, WA
    My Bikes
    Magna Single-speed of indeterminate age, 1995 Trek 820
    Posts
    1,716
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by truckstop View Post
    2014 is not starting out so great. ****.
    What? Why?
    Quote Originally Posted by halfspeed View Post
    Earmuffs!!! This is a family forum, miss!

  9. #334
    Mostly Harmless rjones28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Chittenango, NY
    My Bikes
    Have two wheels
    Posts
    21,962
    Mentioned
    121 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by truckstop View Post
    2014 is not starting out so great. ****.
    Quote Originally Posted by truckstop View Post
    getting banned from trollheim. does that mean you win?

  10. #335
    Senior Member truckstop's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    My Bikes
    '10 Felt ZW6, '06 Bianchi San Jose, '04 Giant Yukon
    Posts
    4,262
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    sorry, i know vague posts are vague... but i'm not sure i want to talk about it yet. we'll see after the weekend.

  11. #336
    Can'tre Member 3alarmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    ,location, location...
    My Bikes
    old ones
    Posts
    6,959
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by datlas View Post
    Can someone help me push that trolling Ti thread over the ledge??
    ...sorry, I'm reformed.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Australian Book of Atheism
    There is only no god, and Cyclaholic is his prophet.

  12. #337
    Senior Member halfspeed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    SE Minnesota
    My Bikes
    are better than yours.
    Posts
    10,828
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by datlas View Post
    Can someone help me push that trolling Ti thread over the ledge??
    The wheel impact thread is begging for an audio related derailment.
    Telemachus has, indeed, sneezed.

  13. #338
    Senior Member halfspeed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    SE Minnesota
    My Bikes
    are better than yours.
    Posts
    10,828
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by truckstop View Post
    sorry, i know vague posts are vague... but i'm not sure i want to talk about it yet. we'll see after the weekend.
    We'll be here.
    Telemachus has, indeed, sneezed.

  14. #339
    Senior Member halfspeed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    SE Minnesota
    My Bikes
    are better than yours.
    Posts
    10,828
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by datlas View Post
    Can someone help me push that trolling Ti thread over the ledge??
    I gave it a shove.
    Telemachus has, indeed, sneezed.

  15. #340
    Super Moderator BillyD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Hudson Valley, NY
    My Bikes
    Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92; Schwinn Continental '76.
    Posts
    11,918
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by halfspeed View Post
    I gave it a shove.
    Yes, you did. But I don't think it's gonna go now.
    Where else but the internet can a bunch of cyclists go and be the tough guy? - - jdon
    Titanium Division

  16. #341
    Super Moderator BillyD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Hudson Valley, NY
    My Bikes
    Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92; Schwinn Continental '76.
    Posts
    11,918
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 3alarmer View Post
    ...sorry, I'm reforrmed.
    You don't even know how to spell reformed.
    Where else but the internet can a bunch of cyclists go and be the tough guy? - - jdon
    Titanium Division

  17. #342
    Senior Member RollCNY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Central NY
    My Bikes
    Felt Rejected
    Posts
    6,285
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vague well wishes for vague problems, TS.

  18. #343
    Senior Member RollCNY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Central NY
    My Bikes
    Felt Rejected
    Posts
    6,285
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK Addictites, tell me if this would raise red flags to you:

    My wife, one semester from being a NP, is on a church sponsored medical mission to the Amazon (think river not .com). They travel by boat to villages that receive no medical care but once a year when this boat pulls in. The group is very excited to be in a new village today, that has not been previously visited, because they want to diagnose an illness that has KILLED 30% OF THE TRIBE IN A YEAR. Call me crazy, but I don't get positively excited by that. I get zombie apocalypse excited by that.

    Thoughts?

  19. #344
    Free Velo Vol! Velo Vol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    My Bikes
    Velo Volmobile
    Posts
    19,474
    Mentioned
    143 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by truckstop View Post
    2014 is not starting out so great. ****.
    Too much discussion of snow blowers and snow cars? I agree.

  20. #345
    Free Velo Vol! Velo Vol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    My Bikes
    Velo Volmobile
    Posts
    19,474
    Mentioned
    143 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RollCNY View Post
    The group is very excited to be in a new village today, that has not been previously visited, because they want to diagnose an illness that has KILLED 30% OF THE TRIBE IN A YEAR. Call me crazy, but I don't get positively excited by that. I get zombie apocalypse excited by that.

    Thoughts?
    Perhaps that's one reason you are not a medical professional.

    Incidentally, I'd hate to live in a village where the doctor only comes around once a year.

  21. #346
    Senior Member RollCNY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Central NY
    My Bikes
    Felt Rejected
    Posts
    6,285
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our shop air compressor failed yesterday, and was diagnosed as knackered. It was 60HP and 30 years old. We are now using the 40 year old 40HP, and have to rush design and specify a replacement system, adding storage tanks and a new dryer. We installed a flow meter tonight to accurately determine real cfm.

    This is the type of fatality and diagnostics that I enjoy. Well, hydraulics are more fun, but sometimes one must settle.

  22. #347
    Mostly Harmless rjones28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Chittenango, NY
    My Bikes
    Have two wheels
    Posts
    21,962
    Mentioned
    121 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RollCNY View Post
    OK Addictites, tell me if this would raise red flags to you:

    My wife, one semester from being a NP, is on a church sponsored medical mission to the Amazon (think river not .com). They travel by boat to villages that receive no medical care but once a year when this boat pulls in. The group is very excited to be in a new village today, that has not been previously visited, because they want to diagnose an illness that has KILLED 30% OF THE TRIBE IN A YEAR. Call me crazy, but I don't get positively excited by that. I get zombie apocalypse excited by that.

    Thoughts?
    Be sure to examine Mrs. RollCNY carefully, when she returns from the jungle, to be sure it's really her.
    Quote Originally Posted by truckstop View Post
    getting banned from trollheim. does that mean you win?

  23. #348
    Can'tre Member 3alarmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    ,location, location...
    My Bikes
    old ones
    Posts
    6,959
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

    HTFU, Part Deux

    An astonishing, dangerous cold snap is about to descend on the U.S.

    .....it came from the North Pole, descending in the dark of night. Beware the Polar Enchilada.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Australian Book of Atheism
    There is only no god, and Cyclaholic is his prophet.

  24. #349
    Senior Member mvnsnd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    WNY
    My Bikes
    old bikes
    Posts
    1,943
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RollCNY View Post
    Our shop air compressor failed yesterday, and was diagnosed as knackered. It was 60HP and 30 years old. We are now using the 40 year old 40HP, and have to rush design and specify a replacement system, adding storage tanks and a new dryer. We installed a flow meter tonight to accurately determine real cfm.

    This is the type of fatality and diagnostics that I enjoy. Well, hydraulics are more fun, but sometimes one must settle.
    Sounds like a lot of force per unit area to me.

  25. #350
    Can'tre Member 3alarmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    ,location, location...
    My Bikes
    old ones
    Posts
    6,959
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyD View Post
    You don't even know how to spell reformed.
    ...my intentions are pure, and my heart is filled with love.

    But the devil whispers in my ear and makes me do things.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Australian Book of Atheism
    There is only no god, and Cyclaholic is his prophet.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •