Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: carbon soles

  1. #1
    Senior Member George's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Katy Texas
    My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix
    Posts
    5,293
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    carbon soles

    I've read that stiff soles are good and bad. That is, good for racing but bad for long distance. I'm looking for comfort and was told that a shoe that flexes, is more comfortable than a stiffer carbon sole. I thought a stiffer sole would be more comfortable, because your spreading the load out to most of your foot.

    I got a pretty good deal on Giro Factors and I'm this close to ordering them. Any reviews would be appreciated.
    George

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    No Va but ride also in So Md
    My Bikes
    Cervelo SLC-SL, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX
    Posts
    8,885
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For most people, a stiff sole is best for everything. So CF is good. The exception is those people with feet that need to flex a lot - high arches for example.
    You're just trying to start an argument to show how smart you are.

  3. #3
    Senior Member WhyFi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Got a castle in - er, Minneapolis, that's where I dwell!
    My Bikes
    2009 Jamis Xenith
    Posts
    10,073
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're asking about something that involves personal preference and individual anatomy. Either buy from some place that'll let you return them if they don't work out for you or buy from a local store where you can try them on first.
    Quote Originally Posted by RollCNY View Post
    I would wager that not riding in Minnesota is just as fatiguing as not riding in New York.

  4. #4
    Farmer tan f4rrest's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Burbank, CA
    My Bikes
    Allez
    Posts
    1,642
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^ Exactly. Many of the local shops will price match internet deals too. Mine did. And my carbon soles saved 220 grams compared to my prior plastic soles.

  5. #5
    Middle-Aged Member MikeyBoyAz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Mesa, AZ
    My Bikes
    Bianchi Infinito CV 2014, TREK HIFI 2011
    Posts
    1,817
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have carbon soles... the only neg is that on El Tour de Tucson you have to walk through the wash... and stiff carbon soles are not as comfortable.
    I HEARD YOU'RE IDEA'S AND THEIR DEFINATELY GOOD.
    xkcd.com / 1238

  6. #6
    RidingLikeCrazy! rangerdavid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Boone, North Carolina
    My Bikes
    2009 Cannondale CAAD9-6
    Posts
    5,031
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    got me some superfeet yellow insoles, and I've been riding Sidi Genius for about 4 years now. The second I put these insoles in the shoes, I gave up on the idea of buying new shoes. These do have a composite sole though, so it's not as stiff as pure carbon soles, but I like them.
    *********************************

    Rangerdavid

    2009 Cannondale CAAD 9-6
    2005 Raleigh M40


    Riding the mountains of North Carolina

    I do today what you don't , so I can do tomorrow what you can't

    "Absolutely imbecilic. But typical." ..... pcad

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    484
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by StanSeven View Post
    For most people, a stiff sole is best for everything. So CF is good. The exception is those people with feet that need to flex a lot - high arches for example.
    This...

    Quote Originally Posted by WhyFi View Post
    You're asking about something that involves personal preference and individual anatomy. Either buy from some place that'll let you return them if they don't work out for you or buy from a local store where you can try them on first.
    AND this...


    Different strokes for different folks.

    Personally...I love a rock hard sole. They have zero flex and I can't feel the cleat through the shoe. Good venting/airflow makes a big difference...as does insole and fit.

    In other words...a good, stiff carbon sole is awesome, but won't fix a crappy fitting pair of shoes if everything else is off. For me? Sidi Wires FTW...I love them and I'm lucky enough to have them fit my foot shape (flat arched, narrow feet).

  8. #8
    I eat carbide. Psimet2001's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Elgin, IL
    My Bikes
    Lots. Current sponsors - Giant and Specialized
    Posts
    19,326
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    +1 to the earlier posts. In general a stiffer sole will be more comfortable.

    Nylon soles on Sidi tend to break down over time and end up being rather flexy. They are great when new and seem to get worse after a year or so. After loving mine forever in multiple models I switched to carbon soles and have never looked back.

    Again as mentioned above asking for advise on personal contact points is near meaningless for you personally. That's like asking me what bibs I find most comfortable, saddle, handlebars or gloves, etc. You can only take input with a grain of salt.

  9. #9
    Senior Member Jed19's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    3,897
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There can be "too stiff", sole-wise.

    I wear two kinds of road cycling shoes. They are Sidi carbon soled shoes in the Summer, and Shimanos in the Winter (heavier wool socks). The Sidi soles are more stiffer than the soles on my Shimano shoes. The Shimano shoes are much more comfortable for me on long rides.
    Regards,

    Jed

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    484
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Psimet2001 View Post
    +1 to the earlier posts. In general a stiffer sole will be more comfortable.

    Nylon soles on Sidi tend to break down over time and end up being rather flexy. They are great when new and seem to get worse after a year or so. After loving mine forever in multiple models I switched to carbon soles and have never looked back.

    Again as mentioned above asking for advise on personal contact points is near meaningless for you personally. That's like asking me what bibs I find most comfortable, saddle, handlebars or gloves, etc. You can only take input with a grain of salt.
    Yeah...my first pair of road shoes were Specialized entry level, plastic sole. They were ok at first but quickly got softer. By 1000 or so miles the were getting softer and I could feel the cleat through them more. I picked up a clearance pair of Specialized comp road shoes last year and put some 1700 or so miles on them this summer...zero flex so far...although they've now been replaced...

  11. #11
    Senior Member George's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Katy Texas
    My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix
    Posts
    5,293
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everybody, I did order the Giro Factors, as I've read a lot of good reviews on them. They will be replacing my Specialized Comps which have about 15 K on them.
    The Giro shoes don't have a replacement heel, but I'll find something to fix them, when they get bad.
    George

  12. #12
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Arkansas
    My Bikes
    2013 Cannondale Super Six 5
    Posts
    10
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wear the factors and they have been great. Super comfortable for me so much so that I got a pair of codes for mountain biking.

  13. #13
    Senior Member George's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Katy Texas
    My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix
    Posts
    5,293
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jbusaf View Post
    I wear the factors and they have been great. Super comfortable for me so much so that I got a pair of codes for mountain biking.
    How are the heels holding up. I've read that they wear down pretty fast. That could be from people walking around a lot with them. I've never had any problems with my other shoes, with that kind of wear.
    George

  14. #14
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Arkansas
    My Bikes
    2013 Cannondale Super Six 5
    Posts
    10
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    How are the heels holding up. I've read that they wear down pretty fast. That could be from people walking around a lot with them. I've never had any problems with my other shoes, with that kind of wear.

    i have had them for about a year and the heels are holding up. I don't do a lot of walking in them though. Just the normal hanging out after group rides and bathroom/food breaks.

  15. #15
    Senior Member George's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Katy Texas
    My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix
    Posts
    5,293
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jbusaf View Post
    i have had them for about a year and the heels are holding up. I don't do a lot of walking in them though. Just the normal hanging out after group rides and bathroom/food breaks.
    Sounds great, thanks for the reply.
    George

  16. #16
    Still can't climb
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Limey in Taiwan
    Posts
    21,074
    Mentioned
    431 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    i had a cheap shoe which was fine as a first clipless shoe. then i got a carbon sole and it was way way better.
    coasting, few quotes are worthy of him, and of those, even fewer printable in a family forum......quote 3alarmer

    No @coasting, you should stay 100% as you are right now, don't change a thing....quote Heathpack

  17. #17
    A might bewildered... Dudelsack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Loovul
    My Bikes
    Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires
    Posts
    6,291
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Just switched to carbon soles and so far I like them, but haven't done any super long rides in them yet.

  18. #18
    Senior Member Seattle Forrest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    11,076
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I don't race, and I do long rides. Carbon soles are much more comfortable. Flexy shoes flex around the pedals and at the end of a long ride specific parts of my feet would be sore; stiff shoes made that go away.
    Don't believe everything you think.

  19. #19
    Senior Member George's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Katy Texas
    My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix
    Posts
    5,293
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like what I'm reading, thanks again everybody.
    George

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •