Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 51
  1. #1
    Senior Member thehammerdog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    NJ
    My Bikes
    Road bike is a Bianchi C2C, Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & 1980's Grandis
    Posts
    1,878
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    what do you use for your Strava?

    I been using my I-phone and once in a while I use my Garmin 310 sport watch....I prefer the I-phone as it up loads to the cloud by self but does lack the HR part. I saw this new watch here on the site and thought it looked cool and functional...So what are you using and why? And, will strava or what ever site you use play a roll in what device you will buy next.
    http://www.leikr.com/

  2. #2
    Upgrading my engine DXchulo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Reno
    Posts
    5,636
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Soleus Draft. It was cheap, small, and easy to use. I would like more battery life but what it has is enough for most people.
    centuryperweek.blogspot.com

  3. #3
    A might bewildered... Dudelsack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Loovul
    My Bikes
    Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires
    Posts
    6,284
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    iPhone. Wahoo fitness HR strap pairs with iPhone 5 and Strava very well. I had it for a week and love it.

  4. #4
    a77impala a77impala's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Western South Dakota
    Posts
    1,156
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just got a new calender, will that work?
    Treks, 85-420, 87-560, 90-930,92-970, 95-930, 96-1220, LeMonds, 2000 Zurich, 05-Etape, 06-Versailles

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Cherry Hill, NJ
    My Bikes
    2011 CAAD 10 4
    Posts
    256
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Garmin Edge 500. The iPhone battery doesn't last long enough for a lot of my rides, especially in cold weather.

  6. #6
    Senior Member thehammerdog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    NJ
    My Bikes
    Road bike is a Bianchi C2C, Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & 1980's Grandis
    Posts
    1,878
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dave1442397 View Post
    Garmin Edge 500. The iPhone battery doesn't last long enough for a lot of my rides, especially in cold weather.
    May I ask how long are your rides? Never had that issue. Love the iPhone but dam thing is huge and heavy and not waterproof

  7. #7
    Senior Member thehammerdog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    NJ
    My Bikes
    Road bike is a Bianchi C2C, Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & 1980's Grandis
    Posts
    1,878
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by a77impala View Post
    I just got a new calender, will that work?
    I have a great abacus in need of a home.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Cherry Hill, NJ
    My Bikes
    2011 CAAD 10 4
    Posts
    256
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thehammerdog View Post
    May I ask how long are your rides? Never had that issue. Love the iPhone but dam thing is huge and heavy and not waterproof
    I've had it go dead within a couple of hours, and a lot of my rides are 50+ miles. I'm not sure why it drains so quickly. I do ride out in the countryside with a lot of tree cover, so it may be just the constant searching for signals that drains it.

    I also prefer to keep my phone for emergency calls, just in case I get stuck on the road 30 miles from home.

    As for waterproofing, I keep the phone in a snack-size ziplock bag. I can still use the screen while keeping the phone dry (it lives in a jersey pocket while I'm riding).

  9. #9
    Senior Member Jakedatc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Lil Rhody
    Posts
    2,099
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Garmin 800. upgraded my 305 to have maps and course routing.
    2007 CSK
    199? Trek 1420 ** 15% Off Hammer Nutrition Referral Code **

  10. #10
    Senior Member JReade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Tampa, FL
    Posts
    1,186
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thehammerdog View Post
    May I ask how long are your rides? Never had that issue. Love the iPhone but dam thing is huge and heavy and not waterproof
    Two words I've never heard when discussing the iphone..

    Garmin 510.
    Jesse

  11. #11
    Senior Member bwilli88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Kampong Cham, Cambodia
    My Bikes
    74 Raleigh Grand Prix, Fuji Stratos, CBD designs vitesse
    Posts
    219
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus often with an extended battery because I listen to podcasts and record my route.
    Biking in Cambodia
    <><

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    My Bikes
    Super Cheap gc3 approved Bike
    Posts
    1,201
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JReade View Post
    Two words I've never heard when discussing the iphone..

    Garmin 510.
    Definitely heavy. iPhones are heavier than any phone I've owned.

  13. #13
    Senior Member JReade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Tampa, FL
    Posts
    1,186
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zymphad View Post
    Definitely heavy. iPhones are heavier than any phone I've owned.
    Maybe that's whats slowing me down on these rides!



    Crap, I guess I can't get any other comparable smartphones either...
    Jesse

  14. #14
    Senior Member thehammerdog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    NJ
    My Bikes
    Road bike is a Bianchi C2C, Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & 1980's Grandis
    Posts
    1,878
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you do understand that they are heavier and larger than most Cycling specific tools correct?

  15. #15
    Senior Member RPK79's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    SE MN
    My Bikes
    Fuji Roubaix Pro
    Posts
    3,785
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use a Garmin Edge 200. It is the basic cycle specific Garmin and lacks ant+ (so no HR monitor or cadence) and the speed is GPS based. I used to use an android phone, but would run into battery life issues on 50+ mile rides and had more than one instance where the phone would crash and lose the ride data. It's nice to have a well charged phone for phone related uses instead of a near dead one at the end of a ride.

  16. #16
    Senior Member JReade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Tampa, FL
    Posts
    1,186
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thehammerdog View Post
    you do understand that they are heavier and larger than most Cycling specific tools correct?
    My garmin 510 is 80g, The speed/cadence sensor is 25g. I'm sure the mount and the zip ties will take up the other 7 grams..so will the gel that I don't use. I understand that the iphone isn't a cycling related item, I'm not pretending it is, I'm just saying that I don't think it's all that heavy.
    Jesse

  17. #17
    Senior Member RPK79's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    SE MN
    My Bikes
    Fuji Roubaix Pro
    Posts
    3,785
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Weighs about the same as the gallbladder I had removed last month and I can't tell the difference.

  18. #18
    Senior Member thehammerdog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    NJ
    My Bikes
    Road bike is a Bianchi C2C, Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & 1980's Grandis
    Posts
    1,878
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RPK79 View Post
    Weighs about the same as the gallbladder I had removed last month and I can't tell the difference.
    agreed, but can it tell you how fast and far you go or how high you climbed.

  19. #19
    Senior Member RPK79's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    SE MN
    My Bikes
    Fuji Roubaix Pro
    Posts
    3,785
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thehammerdog View Post
    agreed, but can it tell you how fast and far you go or how high you climbed.
    No, the gallbladder didn't do that. That's why I had it removed.

  20. #20
    Senior Member TexMac's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    My Bikes
    Felt F5, Giant Propel Advanced
    Posts
    749
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dudelsack View Post
    iPhone. Wahoo fitness HR strap pairs with iPhone 5 and Strava very well. I had it for a week and love it.
    Good to know about Wahoo fitness HR strap. Was about to get another polar watch but since i use iphone then Wahoo strap makes sense.

  21. #21
    Senior Member megalowmatt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    North County San Diego
    Posts
    1,555
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RPK79 View Post
    I use a Garmin Edge 200. It is the basic cycle specific Garmin and lacks ant+ (so no HR monitor or cadence) and the speed is GPS based. I used to use an android phone, but would run into battery life issues on 50+ mile rides and had more than one instance where the phone would crash and lose the ride data. It's nice to have a well charged phone for phone related uses instead of a near dead one at the end of a ride.
    This is exactly what I would have typed and I use the Edge 200 for my commute as well.

  22. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    274
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dave1442397 View Post
    I've had it go dead within a couple of hours, and a lot of my rides are 50+ miles. I'm not sure why it drains so quickly. I do ride out in the countryside with a lot of tree cover, so it may be just the constant searching for signals that drains it.

    I also prefer to keep my phone for emergency calls, just in case I get stuck on the road 30 miles from home.

    As for waterproofing, I keep the phone in a snack-size ziplock bag. I can still use the screen while keeping the phone dry (it lives in a jersey pocket while I'm riding).
    I had that problem with the Iphone3, the Iphone 5 battery seems indestructible. I don't use it for cycling, but I have a similar app to Strava for downhill skiing (Alpine Relay). Can ski for a full day and maybe use up half the battery life.

  23. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Go Ducks!
    Posts
    1,341
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    iPhone 4. No problem getting 4+ hours out of a charge.

    I need to get a HR strap; haven't researched yet to see what works with the 4. Anyone know?

    My phone would be with me regardless; might as well put it to work!
    Every time that wheel turn 'round,
    Bound to cover just a little more ground!

  24. #24
    Senior Member mpath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Tsawwassen, BC
    My Bikes
    Wilier Izoard
    Posts
    1,843
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While you're at it, why not add this?


  25. #25
    Senior Member aaronmcd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    SF Bay Area, CA
    My Bikes
    Cervelo S2, Ultegra 6700
    Posts
    1,353
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Long Tom View Post
    iPhone 4. No problem getting 4+ hours out of a charge.

    I need to get a HR strap; haven't researched yet to see what works with the 4. Anyone know?

    My phone would be with me regardless; might as well put it to work!
    And... 4+ hours is supposed to be good? My Galaxy can record all day no problem. On half a charge.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •