Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 35
  1. #1
    Senior Member hillcrawler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Turkiye
    My Bikes
    '10 Scott Speedster Ltd, A hybrid and an MTB
    Posts
    325
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Stretching hip muscles

    I think we all have tight butts. Yes. I finally figured it out. My knee pain is directly affected by tight hip muscles. They are tightened for long time because i never stretch and they got shortened in long term which is leading to the contracting of the kneecap. When your hip muscles are tight your kneecap gets closer to the femur bone and the two bones rub each other all day. Muscle imbalance is a key factor on joint related pains. I should figüre out which muscles are tightened and shortened to find the right cure for my knees. I have been reading everywhere and all the doctors i see so far adviced me to strengthen the quadriceps but i think stretching is much more important. It sounds more logic to me. Do you think hip muscles have an effect on the kneecap? Maybe not because they are going through the backside of our leg and they got nothing to do with the kneecap. But there has to be a force which is contracting my kneecap to the femur bone. Maybe it is the tight quadriceps muscles. Can you tell me which muscle groups work more than the others while cycling?
    Last edited by hillcrawler; 01-12-14 at 05:01 AM.
    riding with pretty ****ed up knees since 2012
    http://www.strava.com/athletes/924895

  2. #2
    Long Distance Cyclist Machka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    I ride where the thylacine roamed!
    My Bikes
    Lots
    Posts
    38,371
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Start going to yoga and/or pilates classes.


    The quads work the most while cycling. I suspect the "force" you're referring to is more commonly known as the quadriceps tendon. Be very careful with tendons ... if you damage them, recovery can take months.

    If you're going to do this all yourself, rather than relying on medical professionals, take a class. You might start with Anatomy.

  3. #3
    Senior Member jdon's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    4,154
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

  4. #4
    An Average Joe Cyclelogikal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    NC
    My Bikes
    '13 Orbea Orca
    Posts
    646
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Machka View Post
    Start going to yoga and/or pilates classes.


    The quads work the most while cycling. I suspect the "force" you're referring to is more commonly known as the quadriceps tendon. Be very careful with tendons ... if you damage them, recovery can take months.

    If you're going to do this all yourself, rather than relying on medical professionals, take a class. You might start with Anatomy.
    Machka beat me to it...........PILATES!
    I am just a spoke in a broken wheel!

  5. #5
    Senior Member hillcrawler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Turkiye
    My Bikes
    '10 Scott Speedster Ltd, A hybrid and an MTB
    Posts
    325
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks a lot. Everything is clear now. As i thought, quadriceps and hip muscles work most. So, it is easy to tell these muscles need most of stretching and if you don't do it you will end up with kneecap maltracking like myself. I'll do the necessary stretches and get them back to their normal length again. Hopefully all the pain will go away by that.
    riding with pretty ****ed up knees since 2012
    http://www.strava.com/athletes/924895

  6. #6
    Senior Member hillcrawler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Turkiye
    My Bikes
    '10 Scott Speedster Ltd, A hybrid and an MTB
    Posts
    325
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Machka View Post
    Start going to yoga and/or pilates classes.


    The quads work the most while cycling. I suspect the "force" you're referring to is more commonly known as the quadriceps tendon. Be very careful with tendons ... if you damage them, recovery can take months.

    If you're going to do this all yourself, rather than relying on medical professionals, take a class. You might start with Anatomy.
    Thanks Machka again but i am not a social person so i will follow the videos on youtube at home. I don't think i need a class for that anyway. What i don't understand what is the difference between the yoga and basic stretching? As far as i checked the moves are the same. If you do the moves in front of a buddha picture it is called yoga. If you do them in a gym it is stretching. Right?
    riding with pretty ****ed up knees since 2012
    http://www.strava.com/athletes/924895

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    No Va but ride also in So Md
    My Bikes
    Cervelo SLC-SL, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX
    Posts
    8,401
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is much more involved with knee pain that tight quads and hips. You seem to have your mind made up even though medical advice you sought tells you something different. Quite a few things affect knee pain and you need to be sure what it is in your specific case before you start playing around. A good experienced medical professional will give you a thorough exam with tests for flexibility and strength.
    You're just trying to start an argument to show how smart you are.

  8. #8
    Senior Member jdon's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    4,154
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hillcrawler View Post
    Thanks a lot. Everything is clear now. As i thought, quadriceps and hip muscles work most. So, it is easy to tell these muscles need most of stretching and if you don't do it you will end up with kneecap maltracking like myself. I'll do the necessary stretches and get them back to their normal length again. Hopefully all the pain will go away by that.
    Just don't stretch them cold. Use your muscles, then stretch them. Good luck with your issue.

  9. #9
    Senior Member IANative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Midwest
    My Bikes
    Orbea Orca Rival, Specialized Roubaix SL2 Rival, Specialized CrossTrail Sport
    Posts
    255
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I suggest a foam roller on the IT-band as part of your stretching routine.

  10. #10
    Long Distance Cyclist Machka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    I ride where the thylacine roamed!
    My Bikes
    Lots
    Posts
    38,371
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hillcrawler View Post
    Thanks Machka again but i am not a social person so i will follow the videos on youtube at home. I don't think i need a class for that anyway. What i don't understand what is the difference between the yoga and basic stretching? As far as i checked the moves are the same. If you do the moves in front of a buddha picture it is called yoga. If you do them in a gym it is stretching. Right?
    Wrong! A Buddha picture??? I've done 3 years of yoga and have yet to see a Buddha picture.

    Yoga consists of certain types of stretching and also poses that require focus ... but there's nothing "religious" about it. At least, there hasn't been in any of the classes I've taken.

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    No Va but ride also in So Md
    My Bikes
    Cervelo SLC-SL, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX
    Posts
    8,401
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another thing to consider is bike fit. A lot of knee pain is eliminated by a proper fit.
    You're just trying to start an argument to show how smart you are.

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    133
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also recommend yoga, I take a class once a week with my wife. It actually helps my cycling and makes my better half happy.

  13. #13
    Senior Member hillcrawler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Turkiye
    My Bikes
    '10 Scott Speedster Ltd, A hybrid and an MTB
    Posts
    325
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IANative View Post
    I suggest a foam roller on the IT-band as part of your stretching routine.
    Yes, i know that i need it badly and just ordered it now. Together with a yoga mat. Here i come Buddha! (joking)
    riding with pretty ****ed up knees since 2012
    http://www.strava.com/athletes/924895

  14. #14
    Long Distance Cyclist Machka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    I ride where the thylacine roamed!
    My Bikes
    Lots
    Posts
    38,371
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hillcrawler View Post
    Thanks Machka again but i am not a social person so i will follow the videos on youtube at home. I don't think i need a class for that anyway. What i don't understand what is the difference between the yoga and basic stretching? As far as i checked the moves are the same. If you do the moves in front of a buddha picture it is called yoga. If you do them in a gym it is stretching. Right?
    Step away from the computer, and take a class!

    I'm not a social person either, but I still take classes. Classes are much better than videos. A good yoga or pilates instructor can give you appropriate, personal advice ... a video can't do that. A good yoga or pilates instructor can tell you if you're doing the stretch right or wrong, and if you're doing it wrong, they can tell you how to fix it. A video won't comment on your form.

    If you get it wrong, at best you won't benefit ... at worst, you can hurt yourself.


    And I'm serious about taking an Anatomy class too. With every post you make, you sound more confused than ever. Either get professional help ... or start taking classes. The computer is not an appropriate source of information for all these things.

  15. #15
    Senior Member hillcrawler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Turkiye
    My Bikes
    '10 Scott Speedster Ltd, A hybrid and an MTB
    Posts
    325
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Machka View Post
    Step away from the computer, and take a class!

    I'm not a social person either, but I still take classes. Classes are much better than videos. A good yoga or pilates instructor can give you appropriate, personal advice ... a video can't do that. A good yoga or pilates instructor can tell you if you're doing the stretch right or wrong, and if you're doing it wrong, they can tell you how to fix it. A video won't comment on your form.

    If you get it wrong, at best you won't benefit ... at worst, you can hurt yourself.


    And I'm serious about taking an Anatomy class too. With every post you make, you sound more confused than ever. Either get professional help ... or start taking classes. The computer is not an appropriate source of information for all these things.
    I know i will never accomplish anything fully through the computer screen. I know my steps are scrambled but they are still steps forward. You can think of me as someone who is living in the outskirts of USA. Internet is the only source of information i have. I mentioned on other ocassions; this country is not like yours. Let me try to explain you this way. 9 out of 10 people have no speciality here. And 7 out of this 9 people have no interest in having a speciality. They are just ordinary people who don't have any serious hobby in life or anything. So, there is no demand for the specialities. Thus, if you have a speciality you sell it with a big price. Cycling... In the whole ****ing city -consist of 2 million people- there are only few hundreds who are serious or let's say passionate about it. Out of these few hundred people there are only one or two people who might have proper knowledge on bike fit. So, how can i find a professional bike fit here? I can't. So, i'll dig it on the internet.

    I'm trying to say that you can't find professionals here for every speciality you like. Even if you do it will cost you a dear. I am %99 sure there is no yoga class in my city. I have no budget to spare for that anyway.
    Last edited by hillcrawler; 01-13-14 at 02:10 AM.
    riding with pretty ****ed up knees since 2012
    http://www.strava.com/athletes/924895

  16. #16
    Long Distance Cyclist Machka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    I ride where the thylacine roamed!
    My Bikes
    Lots
    Posts
    38,371
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hillcrawler View Post
    I know i will never accomplish anything fully through the computer screen. I know my steps are scrambled but they are still steps forward. You can think of me as someone who is living in the outskirts of USA. Internet is the only source of information i have. I mentioned on other ocassions; this country is not like yours. Let me try to explain you this way. 9 out of 10 people have no speciality here. And 7 out of this 9 people have no interest in having a speciality. They are just ordinary people who don't have any serious hobby in life or anything. So, there is no demand for the specialities. Thus, if you have a speciality you sell it with a big price. Cycling... In the whole ****ing city -consist of 2 million people- there are only few hundreds who are serious or let's say passionate about it. Out of these few hundred people there are only one or two people who might have proper knowledge on bike fit. So, how can i find a professional bike fit here? I can't. So, i'll dig it on the internet.

    I'm trying to say that you can't find professionals here for every speciality you like. Even if you do it will cost you a dear. I am %99 sure there is no yoga class in my city. I have no budget to spare for that anyway.
    1. I'm not from the USA.

    2. You never know until you look.

    3. When I say "professional help", I'm talking about professional medical help. And realising that you're having trouble finding a good doctor ... I'm suggesting that you go to the local university and take an anatomy class.

  17. #17
    RidingLikeCrazy! rangerdavid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Boone, North Carolina
    My Bikes
    2009 Cannondale CAAD9-6
    Posts
    4,918
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    started doing yoga a couple of months ago. it works great for me!!!
    *********************************

    Rangerdavid

    2009 Cannondale CAAD 9-6
    2005 Raleigh M40


    Riding the mountains of North Carolina

    I do today what you don't , so I can do tomorrow what you can't

    "Absolutely imbecilic. But typical." ..... pcad

  18. #18
    Senior Member hillcrawler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Turkiye
    My Bikes
    '10 Scott Speedster Ltd, A hybrid and an MTB
    Posts
    325
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Machka View Post
    1. I'm not from the USA.

    2. You never know until you look.

    3. When I say "professional help", I'm talking about professional medical help. And realising that you're having trouble finding a good doctor ... I'm suggesting that you go to the local university and take an anatomy class.
    I forgot that you were from Canada, sorry. I would really like to have an anatomy class. Maybe i can find an online course on the internet? (joking)

    I started a new thread on the kneeguru.com now. I've explained everything, let's see how they will help me.
    riding with pretty ****ed up knees since 2012
    http://www.strava.com/athletes/924895

  19. #19
    Senior Member hillcrawler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Turkiye
    My Bikes
    '10 Scott Speedster Ltd, A hybrid and an MTB
    Posts
    325
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rangerdavid View Post
    started doing yoga a couple of months ago. it works great for me!!!
    Really? What was your problem? Please give some details.
    riding with pretty ****ed up knees since 2012
    http://www.strava.com/athletes/924895

  20. #20
    Long Distance Cyclist Machka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    I ride where the thylacine roamed!
    My Bikes
    Lots
    Posts
    38,371
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hillcrawler View Post
    I forgot that you were from Canada, sorry.
    I'm a Canadian in Australia.

  21. #21
    Senior Member hillcrawler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Turkiye
    My Bikes
    '10 Scott Speedster Ltd, A hybrid and an MTB
    Posts
    325
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Machka View Post
    I'm a Canadian in Australia.
    That sounds even more cool
    riding with pretty ****ed up knees since 2012
    http://www.strava.com/athletes/924895

  22. #22
    Senior Member hillcrawler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Turkiye
    My Bikes
    '10 Scott Speedster Ltd, A hybrid and an MTB
    Posts
    325
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I sorted it out. I figured it out for the good. No more words need to be spoken. No more researches. End of the maze. Thank you for all the collaborations.

    It is the tight IT band and weak VMO muscles (I might be wrong though)
    riding with pretty ****ed up knees since 2012
    http://www.strava.com/athletes/924895

  23. #23
    Senior Member topflightpro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    2,818
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OP, it's all connected. If your hips are tight, they pull on the quads, which pull on the knees. Tight calves pull on the hamstrings, which then pull on the back....

    If you are having issues, you need to start stretching everything. PM me and I'll send you my stretching regimen. I've been doing it for more than a year now since I partially tore a tendon in my knee.

  24. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    My Bikes
    Diamondback Centurion Expert TG
    Posts
    67
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, stretching one muscle may help the problem you have today, but then you will just have a new problem as your biomechanics change. Stretching and strengthening are never bad ideas, but you've got to stretch everything and strengthen whatever is weak. The thing about knees is all kinds of muscles connect there and there are many different issues that can all cause similar pain.

    I also second the foam roller. Those things are magic (in a painful but helpful way).

  25. #25
    Senior Member donrhummy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    3,484
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Get a foam roller: http://www.amazon.com/b?ie=UTF8&node=3407871

    watch this for how to use it:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •