Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 72
  1. #26
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    201
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cafzali View Post
    I thought Giant discontinued the SL3 once the Propel came out, consolidating to just two models in that line. I have a 2011 TCR Advanced SL3 and love it, but I don't see that name marketed anymore. Am I wrong in regard to them discontinuing it?
    You're correct, the Propel Advanced SL 3 (Ultegra non Di2) was available in 2013 and not in 2014. The TCR line still carries the 'Advanced SL 3' model but not the Propel.

    I just bought a 2014 TCR Advanced SL 3 w/ Ultegra 11 speed. (pictured above)

    *In the United States anyway.
    Last edited by ColtJ; 03-14-14 at 03:07 PM.
    Giant Propel Advanced SL 2
    Giant TCR Advanced SL 3

  2. #27
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    SW Fl.
    My Bikes
    2 Paramounts, CAAD8, Giant Propel Advanced SL3
    Posts
    1,301
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ColtJ View Post
    You're correct, the Propel Advanced SL 3 (Ultegra non Di2) was available in 2013 and not in 2014. The TCR line still carries the 'Advanced SL 3' model but not the Propel.

    I just bought a 2014 TCR Advanced SL 3 w/ Ultegra 11 speed. (pictured above)
    Actually, Giant Canada shows Propel Advanced SL3 as a 2014 model $4,899 Can.

    Propel Advanced SL 0 (2014) - Bikes | Giant Bicycles | Canada

    I feel fortunate to have bought a 2013 Propel Advanced SL3 at a GREAT price.

  3. #28
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    201
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OldTryGuy View Post
    Actually, Giant Canada shows Propel Advanced SL3 as a 2014 model $4,899 Can.

    Propel Advanced SL 0 (2014) - Bikes | Giant Bicycles | Canada

    I feel fortunate to have bought a 2013 Propel Advanced SL3 at a GREAT price.
    Good to know, wish they continued them here in the US.

    Thanks.
    Giant Propel Advanced SL 2
    Giant TCR Advanced SL 3

  4. #29
    Redefining Lazy Slackerprince's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Tampa via PDX, Summers on LV-426
    My Bikes
    2013 Cannondale Synapse 5 105, 2013 Giant Escape 3
    Posts
    1,675
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The latest Road Bike Action Magazine is an aero issue.
    Some interesting articles in it, if you're interested.
    Nice Giant. Enjoy.

    S
    Too fat for Castelli

  5. #30
    Member Phillyfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    38
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What taillight were you using on you're old TCR? I'm trying to find one that fits the aero Giant seat post.

  6. #31
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    201
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillyfan View Post
    What taillight were you using on you're old TCR? I'm trying to find one that fits the aero Giant seat post.
    This one in Black. https://www.serfas.com/products/view...%7Ctail-lights
    Giant Propel Advanced SL 2
    Giant TCR Advanced SL 3

  7. #32
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    96
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey folks,

    Sorry to resurrect this theads, but I was at my LBS and he said that I could get a 2014 Propel Advanced 2 for $2400 + tax. What do you guys think of the price?

    Propel Advanced 2 (2014) | Giant Bicycles | Canada

  8. #33
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Weston, FL
    My Bikes
    '92 Merlin Extralight, '14 Giant Propel Advanced 2
    Posts
    93
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sw686blue View Post
    Hey folks,

    Sorry to resurrect this theads, but I was at my LBS and he said that I could get a 2014 Propel Advanced 2 for $2400 + tax. What do you guys think of the price?

    Propel Advanced 2 (2014) | Giant Bicycles | Canada
    That's a GREAT price. I paid $4,300 US (10% off) last November. Looks like pricing has changed. Figures......my luck.
    Mal

  9. #34
    Senior Member Darth Steele's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    My Bikes
    2013 SuperSix Ultegra
    Posts
    310
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ColtJ View Post
    Hello,

    Got a chance to ride a Giant Propel Advanced for the first time this morning.

    For the past year i've been riding a Giant TCR and really like it but i've been drooling over the Propel for some time.

    Only rode ~30 miles this morning but thought I would share my first impressions for those that may be interested.

    Its pretty windy and flat in Miami and I noticed the "Aero" properties immediately. Riding over 20 mph felt easier almost, just took less effort. Compared to my TCR it also carries speed better, riding along feels smoother.

    I was surprised to find it quite comfortable. Looking forward to getting some more miles in, will post more over the next few days.

    Not sure how many other members are into cars but it feels like driving a big turbo supra (insert favorite high horsepower big turbo make and model).

    ** doubt this info is useful to anyone but here is the strava activity from this morning. link: Bike Ride Profile | - Propel First Ride near Miami | Times and Records | Strava

    Pic of TCR:


    Pictures of Propel:


    Sorry for edits but recently learned a new trick in photoshop.
    I am drooling over the rims. what/how much are they?

  10. #35
    Senior Member TexMac's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    My Bikes
    Felt F5, Giant Propel Advanced
    Posts
    840
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They are definately nice.
    below is a my current setting of the same bike with diff wheelset.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcRdhyDf8gk

  11. #36
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    96
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Apparently Giant is offering a great discount to move their 2014 stock. I am so tempted!!

  12. #37
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    201
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Steele View Post
    I am drooling over the rims. what/how much are they?
    They're Zipp 404's with Continental 4000s II's (transparent color).

    Not to bring this thread back to life but I now have a Giant Propel Advanced SL and a Giant TCR Advanced SL, in case anyone wondered what my final decision was.
    Giant Propel Advanced SL 2
    Giant TCR Advanced SL 3

  13. #38
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    SW Fl.
    My Bikes
    2 Paramounts, CAAD8, Giant Propel Advanced SL3
    Posts
    1,301
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ColtJ View Post
    .........I now have a Giant Propel Advanced SL and a Giant TCR Advanced SL,.........
    sweet X 2

  14. #39
    Stand and Deliver FLvector's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Tampa Bay
    My Bikes
    Cannondale R1000, Giant TCR Advanced, Giant TCR Advanced SL
    Posts
    1,672
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ColtJ View Post
    Not to bring this thread back to life but I now have a Giant Propel Advanced SL and a Giant TCR Advanced SL, in case anyone wondered what my final decision was.
    And which one do you prefer and why?

  15. #40
    Senior Member bbbean's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Missouri
    My Bikes
    Giant Defy Composite 0, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima
    Posts
    794
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FLvector View Post
    And which one do you prefer and why?
    What he said.
    www.beancotton.com
    Formerly Fastest of the Slow Riders, Currently Slowest of the Fast Riders



    http://veloviewer.com/athlete/2615827/

  16. #41
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    201
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)




    Honestly, I really like them both. They're very different.

    I love the handling of the TCR, it's snappy and I love how it feels when I try to accelerate. It feels like it just skips on the road up to whatever speed i'm trying to achieve. To me it feels like a stout 400 hp all wheel drive car.

    The Propel is amazing at speed, I do a lot of A+ group rides and when you're already moving at a good speed, it always feels effortless to advance or to try to and break away. Kinda like driving a powerful car on the highway, you think you're doing 60 but you're really doing 90, the speed feels deceptive in a good way.

    Sorry for car references but thats the only way I can try to describe them accurately. On any given week, i'll ride both a few times or just one but I always switch back and forth. It's fun to feel the other bike all over again a few times a month.
    Giant Propel Advanced SL 2
    Giant TCR Advanced SL 3

  17. #42
    Senior Member bbbean's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Missouri
    My Bikes
    Giant Defy Composite 0, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima
    Posts
    794
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ColtJ View Post




    Honestly, I really like them both. They're very different.

    I love the handling of the TCR, it's snappy and I love how it feels when I try to accelerate. It feels like it just skips on the road up to whatever speed i'm trying to achieve. To me it feels like a stout 400 hp all wheel drive car.

    The Propel is amazing at speed, I do a lot of A+ group rides and when you're already moving at a good speed, it always feels effortless to advance or to try to and break away. Kinda like driving a powerful car on the highway, you think you're doing 60 but you're really doing 90, the speed feels deceptive in a good way.

    Sorry for car references but thats the only way I can try to describe them accurately. On any given week, i'll ride both a few times or just one but I always switch back and forth. It's fun to feel the other bike all over again a few times a month.
    Thanks. That's what I suspected. FWIW, I feel bad for you having to wrestle with the "which bike to ride" decision all teh time, so if you want to send one of the bikes to me, I'll simplify your life. Either one would be fine.
    www.beancotton.com
    Formerly Fastest of the Slow Riders, Currently Slowest of the Fast Riders



    http://veloviewer.com/athlete/2615827/

  18. #43
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    201
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OldTryGuy View Post
    sweet X 2
    Thanks.
    Giant Propel Advanced SL 2
    Giant TCR Advanced SL 3

  19. #44
    Senior member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    wine country
    My Bikes
    2012 Giant Defy Advanced 2; 2014 Giant Propel Advanced SL1
    Posts
    66
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just bought a 2014 Propel Advanced SL1. It's light, quick and cuts through the wind nicely. It came with an aluminum arm(s) brake upgrade (2015) and I haven't noticed any weakness that's been described with the older carbon brake arms. Nice bike, just adding finishing touches...

  20. #45
    Bike rider alexaschwanden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Palo Alto
    My Bikes
    2014 Felt Z5 carbon bike
    Posts
    2,628
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How many miles do have them?
    2013 Felt 960 MTB 1625.4 miles
    2014 Felt Z5 carbon 301.7 miles

  21. #46
    Senior member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    wine country
    My Bikes
    2012 Giant Defy Advanced 2; 2014 Giant Propel Advanced SL1
    Posts
    66
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by alexaschwanden View Post
    How many miles do have them?
    Defy - 3,000 miles
    Propel - 200 miles

  22. #47
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    SW Fl.
    My Bikes
    2 Paramounts, CAAD8, Giant Propel Advanced SL3
    Posts
    1,301
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by itsnevertoolate View Post
    I just bought a 2014 Propel Advanced SL1. It's light, quick and cuts through the wind nicely. It came with an aluminum arm(s) brake upgrade (2015) and I haven't noticed any weakness that's been described with the older carbon brake arms. Nice bike, just adding finishing touches...
    My 2013 Propel Advanced SL3 came with aluminum arms.

    2013 riding was 5,000 miles, including 2013 Ironman 70.3 Florida and 2013 Ironman Florida Panama City Beach

    2014 riding is 4,000 miles so far with 122 miles yesterday, 115 miles 8/2, 130 miles 7/26, 135 miles 7/13, 2014 Gator 70.3 and 2014 Ironman Florida on November 1st

    Just in case it's not clear, I really, REALLY enjoy riding this bike even as a 64 year OldTryGuy.

  23. #48
    has a Large Member Campag4life's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    9,038
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ColtJ View Post
    Well, i rode the Propel pictured above for ~70 miles and ended up buying a TCR Advanced SL 3.

    Reason being is, I was really looking for a TCR ++ (if that makes sense) in the Propel over my 2013 TCR Composite 2.

    I found the Propel to be an awesome bike but I personally knew after riding it that I wanted a better TCR not a Propel.

    I think only you'll know what you really want.

    They're different but I don't think you can go wrong with either.

    My new TCR:
    Just curious what qualities of the TCR do you prefer to the Propel?

  24. #49
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    221
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ColtJ View Post
    They're Zipp 404's with Continental 4000s II's (transparent color).

    Not to bring this thread back to life but I now have a Giant Propel Advanced SL and a Giant TCR Advanced SL, in case anyone wondered what my final decision was.
    NUTSO! But in a good way...

  25. #50
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    8
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am able to get a Giant Propel Advanced SL 3 for 4500$ plus tax. Good deal? and is this bike recommended or are there better choices in this price range?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •