Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 46
  1. #1
    Senior Member totalnewbie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    taiwan
    My Bikes
    Giant Defy Comp3
    Posts
    101
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Pioneer Cyclo-Sphere power meter - version 2 to be out this Spring

    I went to taipei cycling show today and noticed a booth marketing Pioneer Cyclo-Sphere Power Meter, which combines trip computer, power meter and analyzer for pedaling efficiency. Apparently the version one has been on sale for a while. and now they are coming out with version 2 at much lower price (less than US$1900 for both crank meter and computer.) Garmin Vector seems to get a lot of press as a new entry in the power meter field, but apparently this gizmo can do much more. Very excited about this.

  2. #2
    Senior Member mkadam68's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    30 minutes North-West of Los Angeles.
    My Bikes
    2012 MotorHouse road bike. No. You can't get one.
    Posts
    3,541
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by totalnewbie View Post
    I went to taipei cycling show today and noticed a booth marketing Pioneer Cyclo-Sphere Power Meter, which combines trip computer, power meter and analyzer for pedaling efficiency. Apparently the version one has been on sale for a while. and now they are coming out with version 2 at much lower price (less than US$1900 for both crank meter and computer.) Garmin Vector seems to get a lot of press as a new entry in the power meter field, but apparently this gizmo can do much more. Very excited about this.
    I've been following Pioneer's efforts for a couple months now, and a lower price would be nice. I've been playing with their related website, Cyclo-Sphere, for data upload/analysis, but if you neglect the left/right power data, there are better ones out there (personal fav is Cycling Analytics out of Australia) or Strava just because it helps track improvement over specific segments.


    Visit The C-Blog : the blog about cycling.

  3. #3
    Thread Killer
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Posts
    3,466
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, I think the 12 point per side output analysis would be very interesting to track for training purposes. The display, though, and the Cyclosphere look clunky though. Unfortunately, I can't see myself needing power data on that level, so I'll probably never get the system (unless my income spikes dramatically!).
    Chaad--'95 DeKerf Team SL, '02 Lemond Buenos Aires, '05 Novara Buzz, '73 Schwinn Collegiate, '06 Mountain Cycle Rumble, '09 Dahon Mariner D7, '12 Mercier Nano, '12 Breezer Venturi

  4. #4
    Professional Fuss-Budget Bacciagalupe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    6,292
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by totalnewbie View Post
    Garmin Vector seems to get a lot of press as a new entry in the power meter field, but apparently this gizmo can do much more. Very excited about this.
    The Garmin units should be capable of doing this; the data collection process is the same. Hopefully, at some point Garmin will bother to implement it in their software and head units.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Silvercivic27's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Dayton, OH
    My Bikes
    Scott addict, Colnago asso, Cervelo S5
    Posts
    1,415
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mkadam68 View Post
    I've been following Pioneer's efforts for a couple months now, and a lower price would be nice. I've been playing with their related website, Cyclo-Sphere, for data upload/analysis, but if you neglect the left/right power data, there are better ones out there (personal fav is Cycling Analytics out of Australia) or Strava just because it helps track improvement over specific segments.
    Still cheaper?! They're not going to give it away, you know? 1900 for PM PLUS computer. That's pretty damn good. You have to also understand where this PM fits in the market, which is as a top tier PM to compete with SRM. It's not an alternative for stages. In that light, and for guys like me who really really wish they could ride shimano chainrings and don't want to drop down thousands on Archaic technology like the SRM, this is an awesome option. Try to price a DA9000 SRM and a PC8. It's going to be a little more than $1900. I'm actually happy now with my Quarq Elsa and praxis rings, but if anything ever happened to one of my Quarqs, they better give me a killer deal on a new one, or I'm jumping ship and going to Pioneer. Finally, Strava is FAR from the best power analysis software out there.

  6. #6
    Professional Fuss-Budget Bacciagalupe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    6,292
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Silvercivic27 View Post
    Still cheaper?! They're not going to give it away, you know? 1900 for PM PLUS computer. That's pretty damn good.
    That depends on your disposable income and/or how badly you need it.

    While I accept that these items are not cheap, I can also see how $2000 is a lot of scratch for a lot of people. And of course, there is always a lot of pressure to lower prices, that's just normal behavior.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    128
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Power meters are part of the cycling rip off conspiracy. There is no reason why they should cost more than 300$, after all they serve one single purpose, unlike a smartphone, for example. the technology is not space age either.
    nice to see more and more players in the game tho, will out pressure on the current producers to lower prices.

  8. #8
    Professional Fuss-Budget Bacciagalupe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    6,292
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Urymoto View Post
    Power meters are part of the cycling rip off conspiracy. There is no reason why they should cost more than 300$, after all they serve one single purpose....
    For Pioneer, they're selling you a crankset, two very precise strain gauges, a wireless GPS-enabled head unit, and software. With Ultegra, that's $1550 -- and at least $200 of that is probably just for the crankset.

    Nor does "single purpose" mean it ought to be cheap. Users demand that they be highly accurate, robust, and impervious to bad weather. This not only means high tolerances in manufacturing, but extensive R&D. They also have to market the device, and manufacture enough to meet demand -- which could be well below their expectations. None of this is cheap.

    Plus, the target market is small, and relatively inelastic. Even if power meters were $300, they probably wouldn't sell that much more than they do now. They're too complicated and hard to use for most cyclists.

    Let's not forget that a lot of "multipurpose" devices, like smartphones, are frequently subsidized by the cell carrier. E.g. an iPhone 5s would cost you around $650 without a contract. The reason it "only" costs $200 with a contract is because the remaining $450 comes out of your monthly fees during that 2 year term.

    Last but not least: If someone really could make a highly accurate, weather-proof, robust power meter with a head unit and software, and sell it for $300, and make a profit, then someone would do it by now. There is simply no way there could be an international conspiracy to charge people unjustifiable prices for power meters.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    128
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bacciagalupe View Post
    For Pioneer, they're selling you a crankset, two very precise strain gauges, a wireless GPS-enabled head unit, and software. With Ultegra, that's $1550 -- and at least $200 of that is probably just for the crankset.

    Nor does "single purpose" mean it ought to be cheap. Users demand that they be highly accurate, robust, and impervious to bad weather. This not only means high tolerances in manufacturing, but extensive R&D. They also have to market the device, and manufacture enough to meet demand -- which could be well below their expectations. None of this is cheap.

    Plus, the target market is small, and relatively inelastic. Even if power meters were $300, they probably wouldn't sell that much more than they do now. They're too complicated and hard to use for most cyclists.

    Let's not forget that a lot of "multipurpose" devices, like smartphones, are frequently subsidized by the cell carrier. E.g. an iPhone 5s would cost you around $650 without a contract. The reason it "only" costs $200 with a contract is because the remaining $450 comes out of your monthly fees during that 2 year term.

    Last but not least: If someone really could make a highly accurate, weather-proof, robust power meter with a head unit and software, and sell it for $300, and make a profit, then someone would do it by now. There is simply no way there could be an international conspiracy to charge people unjustifiable prices for power meters.
    Im not includi g the subsidy for the multi purpose devices...i said 300 but yeah more like 600, still FAR cry from some powermeters
    you other arguments stand except the last one.
    because cycling demand is inelastic, kinda like the demand for bugattis, you said it and i totally agree, ppl dont care what they spend, and that is why the power meter developers are charging so high. Cyclists are a rich bunch, especially the type A boys who train with power....
    BUT
    you could easily develop a weatherproof, shockproof etc oower meter for 300$, THAT IS A FACT

  10. #10
    Senior Member Silvercivic27's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Dayton, OH
    My Bikes
    Scott addict, Colnago asso, Cervelo S5
    Posts
    1,415
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, what are you doing sitting around posting in forums? Develop and market that puppy and join Uli and the ladies in the hot tub!!

  11. #11
    Senior Member reef58's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Wilmington, NC
    My Bikes
    Serotta Nove
    Posts
    1,633
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Economy of scale? Everyone has a smartphone.

  12. #12
    Senior Member WhyFi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Got a castle in - er, Minneapolis, that's where I dwell!
    My Bikes
    2009 Jamis Xenith
    Posts
    8,785
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Urymoto View Post
    you could easily develop a weatherproof, shockproof etc oower meter for 300$, THAT IS A FACT
    You are talking out of your ass, THAT IS A FACT.
    Quote Originally Posted by RollCNY View Post
    I would wager that not riding in Minnesota is just as fatiguing as not riding in New York.

  13. #13
    pan y agua merlinextraligh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Jacksonville
    My Bikes
    Wilier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Co-Motion Robusta; Schwinn Paramount; Motobecane Phantom Cross; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er
    Posts
    27,139
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Zip ties for 2k equal fail.
    You could fall off a cliff and die.
    You could get lost and die.
    You could hit a tree and die.
    OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.

  14. #14
    pan y agua merlinextraligh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Jacksonville
    My Bikes
    Wilier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Co-Motion Robusta; Schwinn Paramount; Motobecane Phantom Cross; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er
    Posts
    27,139
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WhyFi View Post
    You are talking out of your ass, THAT IS A FACT.
    Really? Have you priced oower meters?
    You could fall off a cliff and die.
    You could get lost and die.
    You could hit a tree and die.
    OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.

  15. #15
    Upgrading my engine DXchulo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Reno
    Posts
    5,610
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by merlinextraligh View Post
    Zip ties for 2k equal fail.
    Zip ties are gone on the new version.
    centuryperweek.blogspot.com

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    My Bikes
    Specialized Sirrus Comp
    Posts
    500
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This one is currently my favorite option, unless Garmin comes out with a Speedplay version of the Vector. And if you know the history you know that's totally do-able.

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    4,945
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Urymoto View Post
    Power meters are part of the cycling rip off conspiracy. There is no reason why they should cost more than 300$, after all they serve one single purpose, unlike a smartphone, for example. the technology is not space age either.
    nice to see more and more players in the game tho, will out pressure on the current producers to lower prices.
    You're probably too young to remember the portable (and I use that term loosely) cell phones which sold for approx $4,000 in the early '80s. After the industry has collectively sold a few hundred million powermeters they'll be as inexpensive as smartphones.

  18. #18
    Newbie?
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Grenoble, France
    Posts
    46
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lots of misinformation here...

    1. SRM is archa´c technology? SRM is focused on accuracy and reliability, which is what really matters when you spend up to 10h a week on the trainer (like I do for some reason)...

    2. Yes, a power meter is certainly not rocket science and my Powertap Elite+ is proof of that (four years and 1000's of hours). And yes, I'm a software engineer having direct experience with this kind of devices.

    *But* the comparison to smartphone is bogus (anyone who has tried to seriously use a smartphone to log and display power data knows better)... And obviously economics of scale apply...

  19. #19
    pan y agua merlinextraligh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Jacksonville
    My Bikes
    Wilier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Co-Motion Robusta; Schwinn Paramount; Motobecane Phantom Cross; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er
    Posts
    27,139
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JakiChan View Post
    This one is currently my favorite option, unless Garmin comes out with a Speedplay version of the Vector. And if you know the history you know that's totally do-able.
    No technical reason it can't be done, but it may never be done because it's extremely difficult to deal with Richard Byrne.
    You could fall off a cliff and die.
    You could get lost and die.
    You could hit a tree and die.
    OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.

  20. #20
    pan y agua merlinextraligh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Jacksonville
    My Bikes
    Wilier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Co-Motion Robusta; Schwinn Paramount; Motobecane Phantom Cross; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er
    Posts
    27,139
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Urymoto View Post
    Power meters are part of the cycling rip off conspiracy.
    Saris, SRM, SRAM, Pioneer, Garmin, Power to Max, Rotor, Wellgo, Stages and Brim are all conspiring to fix prices?

    If anyone could make a power meter and sell it at a profit for $300, they would make a heck of a lot of money.

    In addition to antitrust laws, such cartels just don't work due to the different economic incentives, and cost structures of the players. Take introductory Macro Economics.
    You could fall off a cliff and die.
    You could get lost and die.
    You could hit a tree and die.
    OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.

  21. #21
    2 Fat 2 Furious contango's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    England
    My Bikes
    2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc, 2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    Posts
    3,977
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Urymoto View Post
    you could easily develop a weatherproof, shockproof etc oower meter for 300$, THAT IS A FACT
    If it's so easy go ahead and do it.

    A reliable power meter that interfaces with an affordable head unit is something that would fly off the shelves.

    If I could find a power meter built into a rear hub, that was weatherproof, shockproof, reliable etc and it cost $300 I'd have ordered one by now. The only reason I don't use a powermeter on my bike is because I don't want to pay north of $1000 for the hub alone.
    "For a list of ways technology has failed to improve quality of life, press three"

  22. #22
    pan y agua merlinextraligh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Jacksonville
    My Bikes
    Wilier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Co-Motion Robusta; Schwinn Paramount; Motobecane Phantom Cross; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er
    Posts
    27,139
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by contango View Post
    If I could find a power meter built into a rear hub, that was weatherproof, shockproof, reliable etc and it cost $300 I'd have ordered one by now. The only reason I don't use a powermeter on my bike is because I don't want to pay north of $1000 for the hub alone.
    Wired Powertaps in good condition, with a complete wheel routinely sell for under $300.

    You can get a wireless PowerTap G3 Hed Belgium C2 Rear Wheel new from Excel sports right now for $889.
    You could fall off a cliff and die.
    You could get lost and die.
    You could hit a tree and die.
    OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.

  23. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    128
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by merlinextraligh View Post
    Saris, SRM, SRAM, Pioneer, Garmin, Power to Max, Rotor, Wellgo, Stages and Brim are all conspiring to fix prices?

    If anyone could make a power meter and sell it at a profit for $300, they would make a heck of a lot of money.

    In addition to antitrust laws, such cartels just don't work due to the different economic incentives, and cost structures of the players. Take introductory Macro Economics.
    Wtf are you talking about?

  24. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    128
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by contango View Post
    If it's so easy go ahead and do it.

    A reliable power meter that interfaces with an affordable head unit is something that would fly off the shelves.

    If I could find a power meter built into a rear hub, that was weatherproof, shockproof, reliable etc and it cost $300 I'd have ordered one by now. The only reason I don't use a powermeter on my bike is because I don't want to pay north of $1000 for the hub alone.
    Google strain gauge. Thats all it is, more or less
    and look at what stages has done with their new unit. Its like 700$. Well get there, in 2-4 years ill bet

  25. #25
    pan y agua merlinextraligh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Jacksonville
    My Bikes
    Wilier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Co-Motion Robusta; Schwinn Paramount; Motobecane Phantom Cross; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er
    Posts
    27,139
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chaadster View Post
    Yes, I think the 12 point per side output analysis would be very interesting to track for training purposes.
    Why? What are you going to do with the data?

    I've had right/left Power balance for over a year, and don't track it. My power balance is typically within a fraction of 1% of even. All the power meters on the market have a greater margin of error than that.

    I've talked to Chris Carmichael, and other CTS coaches about power balance, and they don't find it useful, unless there's a major descrepency, such as from an injury, but you'd know that without a power meter.

    Drilling down further into phases of the pedal stroke seems even less productive.

    There's lab data in other threads on here that show that precise pedal mechanics (pulling up, ankling, etc.) don't change performance of the rider.

    So I think you're going to get some gee wiz data with this, that isn't going to affect how you train.
    You could fall off a cliff and die.
    You could get lost and die.
    You could hit a tree and die.
    OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •