Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 51 to 73 of 73
  1. #51
    Powered by Borscht ovoleg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    SoCal
    My Bikes
    Russian Vodka
    Posts
    8,344
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rpenmanparker View Post
    In general it is accepted that there are very fine Al frames. But it is also widely accepted that Al cannot provide the same desired balance of stiffness and comfort that can be achieved with CF composite. If you are more pleased by the idea of riding a metal frame than the notion of having the current ultimate in stiffness-comfort balance, then likely Al is for you.
    You want comfort? Stop pumping up your tires to 120 psi. My CAAD10 is just as comfortable as any carbon frame I've ridden. But I don't notice comfort, I'm usually not going that slow.
    -Cat-3-o-meter: TBD :/

  2. #52
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Rep. of Dallas
    Posts
    839
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ovoleg View Post
    You want comfort? Stop pumping up your tires to 120 psi. My CAAD10 is just as comfortable as any carbon frame I've ridden. But I don't notice comfort, I'm usually not going that slow.
    There's a Super Six Evo (2012), Synapse, CAAD10, and other bicycles in my family. I have no plans to replace my CAAD10, ever. It's probably for the best, it keeps Al bicycles cheap for people like me that don't enjoy burning cash.

  3. #53
    Senior Member link0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles
    My Bikes
    '11 Merlin Extralight, '98 Dean Castanza, '89 Schwinn Prologue
    Posts
    450
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The price on that alum BMC is ridiculous. The whole point of buying Alum is that they are cheaper, but almost as good.

  4. #54
    Arrogant Roadie Punk save10's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    California
    Posts
    2,105
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The e5 smartweld is a sick frame....awesome race bike. i'd post mine again, but i only bust it out on special occasions....this thread is not it.

  5. #55
    Powered by Borscht ovoleg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    SoCal
    My Bikes
    Russian Vodka
    Posts
    8,344
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by link0 View Post
    The price on that alum BMC is ridiculous. The whole point of buying Alum is that they are cheaper, but almost as good.
    My CAAD10 is stiffer and handles better than my carbon Supersix. I don't think Carbon > AL. BMC Make really really good bikes, just outside my price range.
    Quote Originally Posted by save10 View Post
    The e5 smartweld is a sick frame....awesome race bike. i'd post mine again, but i only bust it out on special occasions....this thread is not it.
    just show us brah
    -Cat-3-o-meter: TBD :/

  6. #56
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    1,037
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JamieElenbaas View Post
    OK, I'll justify the BMC.

    I have an SLO 1 from the last last year they made the aluminum frame. I love this bike. It's as stiff I need, not particularly buzzy, and looks as good now as it did new thousands of rainy, snowy, crappy miles ago.

    I ride with someone who loves her BMC Grand Fondo just as much.

    At this level, there really are no bad bikes. If you like the bike and can afford it, why would you ask the folks here for permission?
    Thanks for letting me know about your friends experience with this bike.

    The problem is at this level there are so many good bikes, I was wondering if I should be discounting this one because for the money carbon would be better or if it was still a viable option.

  7. #57
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    1,037
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I went into a shop today and tried out the frame with a lower end spec on it. The back end felt pretty nice and plush but the front was pretty rough. I went ahead and ordered in the higher spec version to try as it comes with carbon bars to see if with that it turns into a nicer ride.

    Standing up and sprinting wise it sure didn't have the feeling of instant power transfer that one of the bianchis I tried had but it definitely felt much more stable, and maybe the higher spec with lighter wheels etc will feel a bit snappier.

  8. #58
    Arrogant Roadie Punk save10's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    California
    Posts
    2,105
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ovoleg View Post


    just show us brah

    its in hot-or-not somewhere.

  9. #59
    Senior Member whitemax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,842
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ovoleg View Post
    You want comfort? Stop pumping up your tires to 120 psi. My CAAD10 is just as comfortable as any carbon frame I've ridden. But I don't notice comfort, I'm usually not going that slow.
    I totally agree. My CAAD 7 (with carbon fork) is one of the best bikes I've ever ridden. I actually like the road feel more than my Evo Hi Mod frame.

  10. #60
    Powered by Borscht ovoleg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    SoCal
    My Bikes
    Russian Vodka
    Posts
    8,344
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by save10 View Post
    its in hot-or-not somewhere.
    what a tease...
    -Cat-3-o-meter: TBD :/

  11. #61
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Rep. of Dallas
    Posts
    839
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dheorl View Post
    The problem is at this level there are so many good bikes, I was wondering if I should be discounting this one because for the money carbon would be better or if it was still a viable option.
    You are right, there is pretty much no such thing as a bad bicycle these days. Can you buy a metal bicycle and be happy with it? People ask me if my bicycle is a Super Six all the time, I saw it's a CAAD10 and they turn-up their nose and say things like "it must be harsh/rough" or "why didn't you get [carbon frame]?" I rode a 2012 SS Evo and CAAD10 back and forth on the same ride, over and over, then went and ordered the aluminum frame. There was no question in my mind on how to spend the money, even with all the people belittling me for not buying a composite frame.

  12. #62
    South Carolina Ed
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Greer, SC
    My Bikes
    Family pool bikes - 73 Holdsworth Super Mistral, 79(?) Macario, 86 Bianchi Brava, 93 Viner Nemo, 07 Bottecchia Euro Team, 07 Windsor Fens, 07 Tommasso Mistral
    Posts
    3,100
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aluminum really is a wonder material because it's so light, formable and cheap. It just took the very technologically slow moving bike industry an extra 50 years to figure out how to use it for structures, and they're still at it. A lot of aluminum made it into planes, missiles, and outer space during that time.

  13. #63
    USMC Veteran qcpmsame's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Pensacola, Florida
    Posts
    7,221
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dheorl View Post
    Well I went into a shop today and tried out the frame with a lower end spec on it. The back end felt pretty nice and plush but the front was pretty rough. I went ahead and ordered in the higher spec version to try as it comes with carbon bars to see if with that it turns into a nicer ride.

    Standing up and sprinting wise it sure didn't have the feeling of instant power transfer that one of the bianchis I tried had but it definitely felt much more stable, and maybe the higher spec with lighter wheels etc will feel a bit snappier.
    Good for you, its your money and you can do what you like. Some pics and a ride report will be nice, when you get the new goodies on the road.

    Bill
    "I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me" Philippians 4:13

    "We can't control that we have Parkinson's, but we can control how we live with Parkinson's" Davis Phinney

  14. #64
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    My Bikes
    S5 VWD
    Posts
    3,451
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by link0 View Post
    The price on that alum BMC is ridiculous. The whole point of buying Alum is that they are cheaper, but almost as good.
    That is not what the op wants to hear. He wants to buy the BMC.

  15. #65
    Senior Member topflightpro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    2,959
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually, carbon bikes these days are probably more durable than aluminum ones.

    Manufacturers have been making the aluminum thinner and thinner to reduce weight. As a result, it's pretty easy to dent an aluminum frame. Aluminum does not like being dented and after awhile will crack. And aluminum cannot be repaired. That said, one can still ride a dented aluminum frame until a crack forms, and the frame is unlikely to fail catastrophically.

    I know this from experience, having dented my old S-Works E5 aluminum frame in a crash. It took about six weeks of racing for a crack to form. The frame is now wall art in my office.

    I've also cracked a carbon frame in a crash. I could have had it repaired, but I got a replacement under warranty instead.

  16. #66
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    1,037
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by v70cat View Post
    That is not what the op wants to hear. He wants to buy the BMC.
    Actually I'd like to buy a Condor Baracchi but it will be a lot harder for me to buy, will cost more and I'd still have to skimp on things like wheels to get it in under budget.

  17. #67
    Senior Member link0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles
    My Bikes
    '11 Merlin Extralight, '98 Dean Castanza, '89 Schwinn Prologue
    Posts
    450
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by topflightpro View Post
    Actually, carbon bikes these days are probably more durable than aluminum ones.

    Manufacturers have been making the aluminum thinner and thinner to reduce weight. As a result, it's pretty easy to dent an aluminum frame. Aluminum does not like being dented and after awhile will crack. And aluminum cannot be repaired. That said, one can still ride a dented aluminum frame until a crack forms, and the frame is unlikely to fail catastrophically.

    I know this from experience, having dented my old S-Works E5 aluminum frame in a crash. It took about six weeks of racing for a crack to form. The frame is now wall art in my office.

    I've also cracked a carbon frame in a crash. I could have had it repaired, but I got a replacement under warranty instead.
    Yes. Carbon should fair far better in a serious crash. In regards to crashing, aluminum is only better than carbon in abrasion resistance.

  18. #68
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    My Bikes
    S5 VWD
    Posts
    3,451
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dheorl View Post
    Actually I'd like to buy a Condor Baracchi but it will be a lot harder for me to buy, will cost more and I'd still have to skimp on things like wheels to get it in under budget.
    Just purchase a Cad 10

  19. #69
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Oz
    My Bikes
    2013 Norco Valence C3 w/Soul s2.0 23mm
    Posts
    38
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hanging around the mtbr forums, I've read about Trek's Alpha Platinum? al mtbr frames and how some have mentioned how good they are compared to carbon. I think the new mtb frame material/design has come across from these al road bike frames. Might be worth checking out.

  20. #70
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    My Bikes
    Jamis Quest (105), 2014 Jamis Xenith Race
    Posts
    15
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vfrjo View Post
    Dont rule out Jamis either. I rode a caad10 5 (and a felt f75), but when I tried the jamis, it was it for me. The icon elite (ultegra) or icon pro (105).
    I was set on the caad 10, ended up with the Jamis, ymmv.
    I have been riding a Jamis Quest 105 for over 2 years now...my first road bike as well. I am looking to get into something lighter and a bit faster and was thinking of the Icon Elite. I rode it briefly last week and it definitively felt swift and responsive, but not sure how harsh the ride will be compared to my steel Quest. I am planning on riding the STP (200 mile ride from seattle to portland) in July and was hoping to do it on a new bike. What is your experience on long rides with the Icon? Thank you much!
    Last edited by juanebici; 05-06-14 at 12:24 AM.

  21. #71
    bt
    bt is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    1,356
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rpenmanparker View Post
    In general it is accepted that there are very fine Al frames. But it is also widely accepted that Al cannot provide the same desired balance of stiffness and comfort that can be achieved with CF composite. If you are more pleased by the idea of riding a metal frame than the notion of having the current ultimate in stiffness-comfort balance, then likely Al is for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by ovoleg View Post
    You want comfort? Stop pumping up your tires to 120 psi. My CAAD10 is just as comfortable as any carbon frame I've ridden. But I don't notice comfort, I'm usually not going that slow.

    but but that's what i read on the internet that al is uncomfortable
    Last edited by bt; 05-06-14 at 12:41 AM.

  22. #72
    Senior Member 2702's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    My Bikes
    14 Specialized Sirrus Expert Disc, 15 Giant Fastroad SLR
    Posts
    350
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am verrrry pleased with my new CAAD 8. The power efficiency is terrific so much that I wonder how I can resist a CAAD 10 later on.

  23. #73
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Western North Carolina, U.S.
    My Bikes
    '98 Schwinn Super Sport; '13 Jamis Icon Pro
    Posts
    87
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Longer rides are ok. I'm good for about four hours before I start to feel every ripple. That's about my limit anyway (endurance wise). Shouldn't be a problem at the stp.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •