Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 105
  1. #26
    Can'tre Member 3alarmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    ,location, location...
    My Bikes
    old ones
    Posts
    7,737
    Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyD View Post
    I try to give them a chance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Terrierman View Post
    No wonder everybody hates you.

  2. #27
    Can'tre Member 3alarmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    ,location, location...
    My Bikes
    old ones
    Posts
    7,737
    Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rpenmanparker View Post
    Cuts both ways.
    ...you can't safely ride single track because of all the clueless mountain bikers ?
    Quote Originally Posted by Terrierman View Post
    No wonder everybody hates you.

  3. #28
    WEK
    WEK is offline
    Senior Member WEK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    My Bikes
    KHS Flite 747, Specialized Hardrock
    Posts
    119
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeyBoyAz View Post
    Sorry to hear. That intersection looks awful.
    It is. Terrifying is the word I would use to describe it. I avoid it altogether now.

  4. #29
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    6,870
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One statistic suggests about a third of cycling fatalities occur at night. Nowhere near that fraction of cycling occurs at night. Do the math.
    Robert

    "Wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then." (Bob Seger, "Against the Wind")

  5. #30
    Can'tre Member 3alarmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    ,location, location...
    My Bikes
    old ones
    Posts
    7,737
    Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rpenmanparker View Post
    One statistic suggests about a third of cycling fatalities occur at night. Nowhere near that fraction of cycling occurs at night. Do the math.
    ...I'm sorry, but I don't get it. Can you show me your equation please ?
    It does seem we're headed in the direction of simply giving up bicycling altogether.
    Quote Originally Posted by Terrierman View Post
    No wonder everybody hates you.

  6. #31
    pan y agua merlinextraligh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Jacksonville
    My Bikes
    Wilier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Co-Motion Robusta; Schwinn Paramount; Motobecane Phantom Cross; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er
    Posts
    27,318
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rpenmanparker View Post
    One statistic suggests about a third of cycling fatalities occur at night. Nowhere near that fraction of cycling occurs at night. Do the math.
    Problem is that the data isn't detailed enough to determine how much of that is from improperly lilluminated cyclists, how much is from cyclists riding the wrong direction, which is particularly dangerous without lights, how much is from drunk drivers, and how much is from drunk cyclists.

    I think it's open to debate how safe it is to ride at night with proper lights, reflective materials, and sober.
    Personally, I try to avoid it, but don't think it is unreasonably unsafe.


    In the case at hand, no one knows what actually happened, but it appears that either the truck or the cyclists ran a red light, whcih may not have had much to do with whether it was dark.
    You could fall off a cliff and die.
    You could get lost and die.
    You could hit a tree and die.
    OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.

  7. #32
    Has a magic bike Heathpack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles
    My Bikes
    2014 BMC GF01 & 2013 Trek Madone
    Posts
    2,661
    Mentioned
    272 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I understand this thread may get shut down, but I wish it wouldn't because I struggle with what I should do with this very issue.

    I work Mon-Thur, need to leave for work at 7:10 and right now sunrise is 7am. I ride 4 days a week and my training works best with only Sat-Sun back-to-back rides; for the weekday rides I try to leave a day's recovery in between. My work day does not end at any regular time and if I schedule a weekday ride for after work, there's only about a 20% chance it will happen because I get stuck late at work a lot. So I ride before dawn usually. I'm a woman and I ride alone in the mornings. My choices are: 1. ride on bike paths alone in the dark, but our bike paths are along dry river beds and under road overpasses, exactly where creepy people hang out. I usually make a point of always riding on the road before dawn, but Tues AM, I broke my own rule, got on a bike path, went under a bridge and whizzed past a creepy guy standing quietly under that bridge in the dark. Of course, I can't let a situation develop such that the creepy guy under the bridge figures out that I'll be coming by every Tuesday morning at 5:40 am, 2. ride on the roads, where I risk being run over, 3. ride my trainer, which will work for one of my weekday rides but not the other (hill climbing) ride, 4. miss 80% of my weekday hill climbing rides if I need to put this in as a PM ride (some of which would also wind up being in the dark anyway).

    Obviously there is no good answer here. Makes me sad.


    H

  8. #33
    pan y agua merlinextraligh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Jacksonville
    My Bikes
    Wilier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Co-Motion Robusta; Schwinn Paramount; Motobecane Phantom Cross; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er
    Posts
    27,318
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Heathpack View Post
    Well, I understand this thread may get shut down, but I wish it wouldn't because I struggle with what I should do with this very issue.


    H
    Is riding at lunch an option?

    As for riding in the dark, high quality front light on helmet and bars; high quality flashing rear tailight, and lots of reflective clothing, and/or reflective material on the bike.

    Chose your routes to avoid particularly dangerous roads; and ride like you're invisible to cars, and I don't think you're taking an unreasonable risk.
    You could fall off a cliff and die.
    You could get lost and die.
    You could hit a tree and die.
    OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.

  9. #34
    Senior Member longbeachgary's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Beautiful Long Beach California
    My Bikes
    Eddy Merckx MXL; 2012 CAAD10; 2013 CAAD10 - The Silver and Black; Cannondale CAAD10 DI2 - The Black Dahlia; 2013 Cannondale CAAD10 DI2, The Black Mambo
    Posts
    3,273
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rpenmanparker View Post
    One statistic suggests about a third of cycling fatalities occur at night. Nowhere near that fraction of cycling occurs at night. Do the math.
    Just make stuff up - no one will notice.

  10. #35
    pan y agua merlinextraligh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Jacksonville
    My Bikes
    Wilier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Co-Motion Robusta; Schwinn Paramount; Motobecane Phantom Cross; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er
    Posts
    27,318
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by longbeachgary View Post
    Just make stuff up - no one will notice.
    That's not made up.

    Table 103 in this link. http://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/Pubs/811754AR.pdf

    The question is what are the factors that are driving that number
    Last edited by merlinextraligh; 03-13-14 at 12:16 PM. Reason: add link
    You could fall off a cliff and die.
    You could get lost and die.
    You could hit a tree and die.
    OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.

  11. #36
    Can'tre Member 3alarmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    ,location, location...
    My Bikes
    old ones
    Posts
    7,737
    Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Heathpack View Post
    Well, I understand this thread may get shut down, but I wish it wouldn't because I struggle with what I should do with this very issue.

    I work Mon-Thur, need to leave for work at 7:10 and right now sunrise is 7am. I ride 4 days a week and my training works best with only Sat-Sun back-to-back rides; for the weekday rides I try to leave a day's recovery in between. My work day does not end at any regular time and if I schedule a weekday ride for after work, there's only about a 20% chance it will happen because I get stuck late at work a lot. So I ride before dawn usually. I'm a woman and I ride alone in the mornings. My choices are: 1. ride on bike paths alone in the dark, but our bike paths are along dry river beds and under road overpasses, exactly where creepy people hang out. I usually make a point of always riding on the road before dawn, but Tues AM, I broke my own rule, got on a bike path, went under a bridge and whizzed past a creepy guy standing quietly under that bridge in the dark. Of course, I can't let a situation develop such that the creepy guy under the bridge figures out that I'll be coming by every Tuesday morning at 5:40 am, 2. ride on the roads, where I risk being run over, 3. ride my trainer, which will work for one of my weekday rides but not the other (hill climbing) ride, 4. miss 80% of my weekday hill climbing rides if I need to put this in as a PM ride (some of which would also wind up being in the dark anyway).

    Obviously there is no good answer here. Makes me sad.


    H
    ...the only workable answer I've come up with (and prior to retirement, I commuted
    for many years, to a number of different jobs, in different locations, many in various
    towns here in California,) is my strategy of pretending that drivers do not see me.

    Unless I've made eye contact (which you cannot do in the dark), I am presumed invisible.

    Obviously, this changes your style of riding with the conditions.

    I, too, given your description, would choose roads over creepy guys under the bridge, were I you.


    My last job was 24 hour shifts, so i could ride each way at 7 or 8 in the morning, but even so I got
    caught by the time change at certain points in the year. And the lights available now are a quantum
    leap over what I had available to me as a commuter. Carpe diem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Terrierman View Post
    No wonder everybody hates you.

  12. #37
    Can'tre Member 3alarmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    ,location, location...
    My Bikes
    old ones
    Posts
    7,737
    Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by merlinextraligh View Post
    That's not made up.


    "Nearly half of all cycling deaths nationally involve cyclists riding at night without lights, although only 3% of biking occurs after dark."

    The question is what are the factors that are driving that number
    ...and one of those might be whether lights make a difference.
    Quote Originally Posted by Terrierman View Post
    No wonder everybody hates you.

  13. #38
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    433
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by merlinextraligh View Post
    The question is what are the factors that are driving that number
    I'm m going to say darkness, final answer...

  14. #39
    I'm doing it wrong. RJM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    My Bikes
    Rivendell Roadeo, Rivendell Sam Hillborne.
    Posts
    1,951
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by merlinextraligh View Post
    That's not made up.

    Table 103 in this link. http://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/Pubs/811754AR.pdf

    The question is what are the factors that are driving that number
    Most of the salmoning drunkards sans lights I see riding around happens to be at night.
    "Even people opposed to religion need calm minds and compassion to make their work more effective."

  15. #40
    Can'tre Member 3alarmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    ,location, location...
    My Bikes
    old ones
    Posts
    7,737
    Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wheelreason View Post
    I'm m going to say darkness, final answer...
    ...so why do so many people on bikes get hit and killed by cars in daylight ? There must be a reason. What could it be ?
    Quote Originally Posted by Terrierman View Post
    No wonder everybody hates you.

  16. #41
    pan y agua merlinextraligh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Jacksonville
    My Bikes
    Wilier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Co-Motion Robusta; Schwinn Paramount; Motobecane Phantom Cross; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er
    Posts
    27,318
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RJM View Post
    Most of the salmoning drunkards sans lights I see riding around happens to be at night.
    Looking at the numbers, drunk, ninja, and/or salmons account for about 23% of fatalities. Not sure that completely explains night time fatalities.

    Problem is that the data just aren't very reliable with regard to actual accident causes, with many listed as uknown, and the data on how many miles are ridden is not very good, and certainly not good for how many before and after dark.
    You could fall off a cliff and die.
    You could get lost and die.
    You could hit a tree and die.
    OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.

  17. #42
    Senior Member MattFoley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Arlington, VA
    Posts
    568
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rpenmanparker View Post
    Yeah, deadly seriously. If it's not being invisible (so you have lights, reflectors, etc.), it poorer night vision. If it's not that, it's more inebriated drivers at night than during the day. If it is not that, it is road hazards that the bike rider can't see or nocturnal animals crossing the road that you can't see until too late. On and on. Fools game.
    By this logic, drivers shouldn't drive at night and pedestrians shouldn't walk. So I guess we should only leave our homes during daylight hours!
    Cars man, whyyyyyy?!?!?!?!

  18. #43
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    433
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 3alarmer View Post
    ...so why do so many people on bikes get hit and killed by cars in daylight ? There must be a reason. What could it be ?
    Is your argument that because cyclists get hit and killed during the day, riding at night is not inherently more dangerous?

  19. #44
    I'm doing it wrong. RJM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    My Bikes
    Rivendell Roadeo, Rivendell Sam Hillborne.
    Posts
    1,951
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by merlinextraligh View Post
    Looking at the numbers, drunk, ninja, and/or salmons account for about 23% of fatalities. Not sure that completely explains night time fatalities.

    Problem is that the data just aren't very reliable with regard to actual accident causes, with many listed as uknown, and the data on how many miles are ridden is not very good, and certainly not good for how many before and after dark.
    Exactly....it isn't good data and doesn't prove or disprove anything. Riding at night can be very safe, but that assumes you are practicing it safely. Many, many, many cyclists don't ride safely during the day and when they don't do it at night they aren't giving drivers a chance to even see them. A bright flashing rear light and good headlight do wonders for cycling safety.

    Our club gave out light kits to local commuters (people who don't have a pot to piss in and use a bike to get to their micky-d's job at all hours of the day) because they just don't have the money to get some.
    "Even people opposed to religion need calm minds and compassion to make their work more effective."

  20. #45
    I'm doing it wrong. RJM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    My Bikes
    Rivendell Roadeo, Rivendell Sam Hillborne.
    Posts
    1,951
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wheelreason View Post
    Is your argument that because cyclists get hit and killed during the day, riding at night is not inherently more dangerous?
    If darkness is killing people, then daylight should keep them alive....right.


    And your argument is that it can't be done safely, which isn't true.



    It's been my experience that riding during rush hour is inherently more dangerous than riding at night.
    "Even people opposed to religion need calm minds and compassion to make their work more effective."

  21. #46
    Senior Member Nachoman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Point Loma, CA
    My Bikes
    Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)
    Posts
    12,848
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slackerprince View Post
    FWIW, I use this tail light:

    Robot Check

    It shoots red lights to the sides.
    These threads never go well. My "Amazon Exec" thread, for example.

    S
    That seems like a good design for a rear blinkie.
    .
    .

    Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.

  22. #47
    Has a magic bike Heathpack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles
    My Bikes
    2014 BMC GF01 & 2013 Trek Madone
    Posts
    2,661
    Mentioned
    272 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by merlinextraligh View Post
    Is riding at lunch an option?

    As for riding in the dark, high quality front light on helmet and bars; high quality flashing rear tailight, and lots of reflective clothing, and/or reflective material on the bike.

    Chose your routes to avoid particularly dangerous roads; and ride like you're invisible to cars, and I don't think you're taking an unreasonable risk.
    Lol on the "lunch" comment. There is the eating of food but no lunch hour. No one should feel too sorry for me, I make the schedule and could schedule lunch if I wanted (but I could not ride, no shower at work and not enough time for a meaningful ride and a shower too. plus my bike is at home one hour away from my job). If I schedule lunch, I will get home even later- my job ends when I am done for the day, whenever that might be, 4pm or 10pm. FYI, I am no slave driver, all my people get a lunch break, just not me.

    I do have good lights. No reflectors though and light but non-reflective clothes, so I could definitely make improvements there.

    H

  23. #48
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    6,870
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RJM View Post
    If darkness is killing people, then daylight should keep them alive....right.


    And your argument is that it can't be done safely, which isn't true.



    It's been my experience that riding during rush hour is inherently more dangerous than riding at night.
    Your attempts to discredit established facts have become ridiculous. Just give it a rest.
    Robert

    "Wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then." (Bob Seger, "Against the Wind")

  24. #49
    pan y agua merlinextraligh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Jacksonville
    My Bikes
    Wilier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Co-Motion Robusta; Schwinn Paramount; Motobecane Phantom Cross; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er
    Posts
    27,318
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^ Riding at lunch may be more workable than you think. Bring the bike with you on the car. You don't have to take a shower after; towel off, baby wipes suffice.

    And with the right set of intervals you can accomplish a lot in 45 minutes. So, if you schedule your day with a mid day break, you'll get home a little later, but you'll also have your ride for day done when you do get home.
    You could fall off a cliff and die.
    You could get lost and die.
    You could hit a tree and die.
    OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.

  25. #50
    I'm doing it wrong. RJM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    My Bikes
    Rivendell Roadeo, Rivendell Sam Hillborne.
    Posts
    1,951
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rpenmanparker View Post
    Your attempts to discredit established facts have become ridiculous. Just give it a rest.
    Like your fact that you can't ride safely at night? That fact?
    "Even people opposed to religion need calm minds and compassion to make their work more effective."

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •