Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (http://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycling/)
-   -   Two local cyclist hit and killed this morning. Very sad. (http://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycling/937970-two-local-cyclist-hit-killed-morning-very-sad.html)

Clipped_in 03-12-14 07:17 PM

Two local cyclist hit and killed this morning. Very sad.
 
NEWS STORY

Sincere condolences to family and friends.

This occured at what can be a tricky intersection. Be careful out there!

Location Map

rpenmanparker 03-12-14 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clipped_in (Post 16572632)
NEWS STORY

Sincere condolences to family and friends.

This occured at what can be a tricky intersection. Be careful out there!

Location Map

Terribly sad and scary too. Please, everyone, stop riding in the dark. Nearly every car bike accident I have heard about in the last few months happened in the dark. No matter what precautions are taken, it just can't be done safely. That's not what we want to hear, but I believe it to be true.

waters60 03-13-14 07:11 AM

We use blinking red lights on the backs of our bikes and sometimes flashing or headlights, but night vision for drivers is far worse than we would like to admit. It sounds like this was a tragic lapse of judgement on the part of the riders, the same type of bad judgement that severely injured a fellow bike rider many years ago, another rider with many thousands of miles of experience. Perhaps the blinkies should also have side flashers?

chaadster 03-13-14 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rpenmanparker (Post 16572674)
Terribly sad and scary too. Please, everyone, stop riding in the dark. Nearly every car bike accident I have heard about in the last few months happened in the dark. No matter what precautions are taken, it just can't be done safely. That's not what we want to hear, but I believe it to be true.

Dude, seriously??

Jiggle 03-13-14 08:39 AM

That's terrible. I'm never riding my bicycle again.

AndyK 03-13-14 08:44 AM

Very sad.

But, it does sound like they turned in front of a truck - maybe they didn't see the pickup, maybe the road had a slight incline/blind spot?

That's my rationalization, because I ride early in the morning in the dark!

RaleighSport 03-13-14 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jiggle (Post 16573900)
That's terrible. I'm never riding my bicycle again.

Send your bikes to me for proper disposal.

KJL 03-13-14 09:04 AM

Sometimes I feel more visible riding at night - reflective clothing, blinking lights, headlight. Intersections would probably be the exception if the car is blowing through a light. RIP Brothers -

rpenmanparker 03-13-14 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chaadster (Post 16573745)
Dude, seriously??

Yeah, deadly seriously. If it's not being invisible (so you have lights, reflectors, etc.), it poorer night vision. If it's not that, it's more inebriated drivers at night than during the day. If it is not that, it is road hazards that the bike rider can't see or nocturnal animals crossing the road that you can't see until too late. On and on. Fools game.

3alarmer 03-13-14 10:25 AM

...ibtl

3alarmer 03-13-14 10:28 AM

.
...If I could not ride in the dark, I'd end up walking home a lot.

I like to pretend that I'm invisible to motorists when i ride my bike, so light or dark is not much different.
It turns out a lot of the time, I'm not pretending.

MikeyBoyAz 03-13-14 10:35 AM

Sorry to hear. That intersection looks awful.

RJM 03-13-14 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rpenmanparker (Post 16572674)
Terribly sad and scary too. Please, everyone, stop riding in the dark. Nearly every car bike accident I have heard about in the last few months happened in the dark. No matter what precautions are taken, it just can't be done safely. That's not what we want to hear, but I believe it to be true.

Yeah, just stop commuting by bike. :rolleyes:






Sorry to hear about the cyclists killed.

longbeachgary 03-13-14 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rpenmanparker (Post 16572674)
Terribly sad and scary too. Please, everyone, stop riding in the dark. Nearly every car bike accident I have heard about in the last few months happened in the dark. No matter what precautions are taken, it just can't be done safely. That's not what we want to hear, but I believe it to be true.

Quote:

Originally Posted by waters60 (Post 16573664)
We use blinking red lights on the backs of our bikes and sometimes flashing or headlights, but night vision for drivers is far worse than we would like to admit. It sounds like this was a tragic lapse of judgement on the part of the riders, the same type of bad judgement that severely injured a fellow bike rider many years ago, another rider with many thousands of miles of experience. Perhaps the blinkies should also have side flashers?

Didn't take long at all to blame the riders.

therhodeo 03-13-14 10:44 AM

I'd blame the person who designed that disaster of an interchange.

Slackerprince 03-13-14 10:47 AM

FWIW, I use this tail light:

Robot Check

It shoots red lights to the sides.
These threads never go well. My "Amazon Exec" thread, for example.

S

longbeachgary 03-13-14 10:47 AM

When people speculate about things that they know nothing about it just makes them look like jerks. You don't know, you were not there so just shut up.

rpenmanparker 03-13-14 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RJM (Post 16574305)
Yeah, just stop commuting by bike. :rolleyes:

Man, I have seen stupid posted to bf before, but this one takes the cake.




Sorry to hear about the cyclists killed.

Or it could be you just don't want to hear what you don't want to hear. Denial doesn't change the truth.

3alarmer 03-13-14 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rpenmanparker (Post 16574430)
Or it could be you just don't want to hear what you don't want to hear. Denial doesn't change the truth.

http://victorypi.com/wp-content/uplo...tExitSmall.jpg

RJM 03-13-14 11:23 AM

It isn't the truth because you say it is.




Reminds me of all mountain bike only people who say you can't ride on the road safely because of all the cars.

3alarmer 03-13-14 11:26 AM

...what it appears to ignore is the numbers of folks who get killed on bikes in the brightest of daylight.

RJM 03-13-14 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3alarmer (Post 16574460)
...what it appears to ignore is the numbers of folks who get killed in cars in the brightest of daylight.

Or this too.

BillyD 03-13-14 11:29 AM

If we can't keep this a civil discussion, we can continue this thread in the A&S forum.

BillyD 03-13-14 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slackerprince (Post 16574342)
These threads never go well.
S

Correct. But I try to give them a chance.

rpenmanparker 03-13-14 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RJM (Post 16574445)
It isn't the truth because you say it is.




Reminds me of all mountain bike only people who say you can't ride on the road safely because of all the cars.

Cuts both ways.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:34 PM.