Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1. #1
    Long Distance Cyclist Machka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    I ride where the thylacine roamed!
    My Bikes
    Lots
    Posts
    39,190
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Weekend Cycling Reports - March 15/16

    Happy St Patrick's Day!! Tell us about your cycling adventures this weekend ... near, far, solo, group, organised, disorganised ...




    Saturday - Rowan and I cycled from home to Opossum Bay and back. Beautiful route!! Tough route!! I didn't think it was going to be quite that challenging. I've done parts of it before with varying degrees of success, and thought I might be ready for the whole thing. We did it, and I liked parts of it ... but it was slow and I walked several hills.

    I can clip along fairly well on the downhills and flat ground, but hills are still a challenge for me.

    Today was a warm day (25C) with a mix of weather ... wind, sun, scattered showers, a few wild moments.

    84.83 km







  2. #2
    Has a magic bike Heathpack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles
    My Bikes
    2014 BMC GF01 & 2013 Trek Madone
    Posts
    2,862
    Mentioned
    291 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did not have much time to ride today. But I did manage 30 miles, 2500 ft of climbing with my friend Bruce.

    We climbed up this winding road, it was a nice morning:


  3. #3
    Long Distance Cyclist Machka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    I ride where the thylacine roamed!
    My Bikes
    Lots
    Posts
    39,190
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We've got a climb looming over our city tempting me and laughing at me all at the same time. One minute I think I could do it, the next I'm asking myself if I've gone crazy. It's about 20 km up, and the climb starts very close to home.

  4. #4
    Has a magic bike Heathpack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles
    My Bikes
    2014 BMC GF01 & 2013 Trek Madone
    Posts
    2,862
    Mentioned
    291 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Machka View Post
    We've got a climb looming over our city tempting me and laughing at me all at the same time. One minute I think I could do it, the next I'm asking myself if I've gone crazy. It's about 20 km up, and the climb starts very close to home.
    Well the nice thing about climbing is if you can only do part of the climb you get to turn around and coast home. So what do you have to lose by attempting say the first quarter, then coasting home?



    H

  5. #5
    Has a magic bike Heathpack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles
    My Bikes
    2014 BMC GF01 & 2013 Trek Madone
    Posts
    2,862
    Mentioned
    291 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Today was another climbing day, 55 miles & 3500 ft with my friend Neil. I can't believe I look so happy in this shot, this is about 22 miles into a relentless 28 mile climb. Maybe it was that I could finally see the gas station that was our planned stop.



    H

  6. #6
    Senior Member Jakedatc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Lil Rhody
    Posts
    2,112
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sat: about 16mi with my gf with 50F temps. she is recovering from a cut on her foot so we had to go short and easy. still nice to get out and ride with her. plus i reclaimed a KOM that i had lost

    a few pics from last week another friend took.

    happy about warm temps.


    the profile people see while trying to catch what little draft i provide
    Last edited by Jakedatc; 03-16-14 at 10:08 PM.
    2007 CSK
    199? Trek 1420 ** 15% Off Hammer Nutrition Referral Code **

  7. #7
    Senior Member ConGrUenCy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    My Bikes
    C'dale CAAD 10
    Posts
    150
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Heathpack View Post
    Today was another climbing day, 55 miles & 3500 ft with my friend Neil. I can't believe I look so happy in this shot, this is about 22 miles into a relentless 28 mile climb. Maybe it was that I could finally see the gas station that was our planned stop.

    H
    Really, a 28 mile climb with only 1067m of altitude gain?

  8. #8
    Has a magic bike Heathpack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles
    My Bikes
    2014 BMC GF01 & 2013 Trek Madone
    Posts
    2,862
    Mentioned
    291 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ConGrUenCy View Post
    Really, a 28 mile climb with only 1067m of altitude gain?
    GOOD LORD, I have never been given more grief about my wording describing a ride than I have in @Machka's threads. Ok, let me rephrase: the total ride was 55 miles. The total elevation change was 3500 ft. The point at which the downhill started was 28 miles in. This picture was taken 22 miles in, within sight of our rest stop. The first 10 miles are a very gradual incline. The next 18 miles are an actual climb. Hows that? Am I now being 100% accurate?
    @ConGrUenCy, how about posting what rides you did this weekend, which is the actual point of this thread!

    H

  9. #9
    Farmer tan f4rrest's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Burbank, CA
    My Bikes
    Allez
    Posts
    1,567
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Heathpack View Post
    GOOD LORD, I have never been given more grief about my wording describing a ride than I have in @Machka's threads. Ok, let me rephrase: the total ride was 55 miles. The total elevation change was 3500 ft. The point at which the downhill started was 28 miles in. This picture was taken 22 miles in, within sight of our rest stop. The first 10 miles are a very gradual incline. The next 18 miles are an actual climb. Hows that? Am I now being 100% accurate?
    @ConGrUenCy, how about posting what rides you did this weekend, which is the actual point of this thread!

    H
    Whereabouts?

  10. #10
    just another gosling Carbonfiberboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Everett, WA
    My Bikes
    CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004
    Posts
    8,181
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Stoker and I rode our first ACP 200k brevet on the tandem this Saturday. 126.2 miles, 5560' climbing, 10:45 ET. Decent weather for a change: cloudy, cool, and only rained a little. Free chili and beer at the finish. The Racing Limo at the finish controle:

  11. #11
    Has a magic bike Heathpack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles
    My Bikes
    2014 BMC GF01 & 2013 Trek Madone
    Posts
    2,862
    Mentioned
    291 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by f4rrest View Post
    Whereabouts?
    My house to my meeting point with Neil to San Fransquito Cyn to Spunky Cyn to Bouquet Cyn, back to the meeting point, then home.

    Lol, you weren't in that group of 4 guys that we passed on the way up, we're you?

    G

  12. #12
    Farmer tan f4rrest's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Burbank, CA
    My Bikes
    Allez
    Posts
    1,567
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Heathpack View Post
    My house to my meeting point with Neil to San Fransquito Cyn to Spunky Cyn to Bouquet Cyn, back to the meeting point, then home.

    Lol, you weren't in that group of 4 guys that we passed on the way up, we're you?

    G
    Nope, looks like a nice area though.

  13. #13
    Long Distance Cyclist Machka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    I ride where the thylacine roamed!
    My Bikes
    Lots
    Posts
    39,190
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ConGrUenCy View Post
    Really, a 28 mile climb with only 1067m of altitude gain?
    Quote Originally Posted by Heathpack View Post
    @ConGrUenCy, how about posting what rides you did this weekend, which is the actual point of this thread!
    +1 Heathpack ...


    ConGrUenCy,
    This thread is for posting about your rides and chatting to others about their rides ... but not criticising other's rides or giving them grief about what they've posted.

    Please ... tell us about your rides this weekend.

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Cherry Hill, NJ
    My Bikes
    2011 CAAD 10 4
    Posts
    262
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did my usual club ride on Saturday, a nice, fast 57 mile outing.

    Sunday was colder than expected, just 32F when I left the house at 7:45am. I decided to do a local fast ride that I hadn't been to since November. We had a small group that got smaller along the way, but I was glad I went out. After 63 miles I was definitely ready for a long, hot shower.

    Saturday- Bike Ride Profile | Summit ride, Cherry Hill, NJ near Cherry Hill | Times and Records | Strava

    Sunday - Bike Ride Profile | Costco +, Cherry Hill, NJ near Cherry Hill | Times and Records | Strava

  15. #15
    Senior Member bikecrate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    LF, APMAT
    Posts
    739
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I only got in one 40 mile bike ride on Saturday, but the weather was once again very nice. On Sunday we went on a kayaking trip on Silver River in Ocala. The State Park recently bought out the tacky local tourist spot next door and we always wanted to check out the spring head they had on their part of the river. Monday was a wash out with all day rain.

  16. #16
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    79
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bikecrate View Post
    I only got in one 40 mile bike ride on Saturday, but the weather was once again very nice. On Sunday we went on a kayaking trip on Silver River in Ocala. The State Park recently bought out the tacky local tourist spot next door and we always wanted to check out the spring head they had on their part of the river. Monday was a wash out with all day rain.
    See any monkeys? my favorite place to kayak down there is juniper springs.

    As for me, 55 mike solo ride on Saturday, 74 group ride on Sunday.

  17. #17
    Senior Member bikecrate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    LF, APMAT
    Posts
    739
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by J_Boogie View Post
    See any monkeys? my favorite place to kayak down there is juniper springs.

    As for me, 55 mike solo ride on Saturday, 74 group ride on Sunday.
    No monkeys this trip, but we have in the past. We'll be at Juniper Springs at the end of the summer. I usually take my bike with me and ride to the springs. My family meets up with me via the car. Nothing feels better than a dip in the springs after a hot summer bike ride.

  18. #18
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    79
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bikecrate View Post
    No monkeys this trip, but we have in the past. We'll be at Juniper Springs at the end of the summer. I usually take my bike with me and ride to the springs. My family meets up with me via the car. Nothing feels better than a dip in the springs after a hot summer bike ride.
    That would make a pretty cool ride... A century that ends at the Ichetucknee in July, then everybody floats the river. Although, you'd have to start awfully early to get there before the park fills up, or do it on a Tuesday. Hmmmmmmmmm...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •