Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    5
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    brand new to road bikes. need some tips

    Hello everyone. I'm extremely new to road bikes and I could use help. I'm going to be doing about 60 mile rides eventually as my first goal (city to city with mostly flats with minor hills). Due to my financial situation with paying med bills I have a budget of about 400$. What would be a decent road bike to start with? I'd plan to upgrade parts etc. I realize the price is quite absurdly low but any decent bike in my price range would help out tons. Especially one that could handle the distances ill be required to ride.

  2. #2
    Senior Member buffalowings's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    700
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shorae View Post
    Hello everyone. I'm extremely new to road bikes and I could use help. I'm going to be doing about 60 mile rides eventually as my first goal (city to city with mostly flats with minor hills). Due to my financial situation with paying med bills I have a budget of about 400$. What would be a decent road bike to start with? I'd plan to upgrade parts etc. I realize the price is quite absurdly low but any decent bike in my price range would help out tons. Especially one that could handle the distances ill be required to ride.
    $400 is a tight budget, craigslist or bikesdirect.com would be a good bet. Word of advice, "upgrade" when parts actually break, at this price point, the frame, wheels, everything will be pretty hefty, replacing parts on a bike will cost way more then buying a pricier and better equipped bike in the first place.
    Make sure you buy a correctly sized bike too, very important.
    Noooooo! My thread!! -_________- http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php/896498-Do-you-pack-quot-heat-quot-while-cycling

  3. #3
    LET'S ROLL 1nterceptor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    WEST NEW YORK, USA
    My Bikes
    2013 Scott CR1 Pro carbon, 2013 Brompton S6L-X titanium, 2013 Citizen Tokyo steel
    Posts
    3,136
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Roadbikes usually cost more than hybrids. So if budget is an issue;
    you may want to think it over if you need to have a roadie to do a
    60 mile ride. A lot of bikers have done 100 mile rides on non roadie
    bikes; hybrids, folders, mountainbikes, etc. If you have a bike now;
    there may be improvements that you can do to make it easier to go
    on longer rides. If you really feel that only a roadbike fits your needs;
    my suggestion is used. Try a bike coop/kitchen, Craigslist, thrift
    shops, etc.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    5
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm going to see about adding about 200 or so to the budget. Ive heard extremely different things about BD. The main reason I'm on such a tight budget is cause I had my car stolen and wrecked, right when Im having to go 60 miles out of town every week for dr appointments. I have the best luck ever aha

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    5
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1nterceptor View Post
    Roadbikes usually cost more than hybrids. So if budget is an issue;
    you may want to think it over if you need to have a roadie to do a
    60 mile ride. A lot of bikers have done 100 mile rides on non roadie
    bikes; hybrids, folders, mountainbikes, etc. If you have a bike now;
    there may be improvements that you can do to make it easier to go
    on longer rides. If you really feel that only a roadbike fits your needs;
    my suggestion is used. Try a bike coop/kitchen, Craigslist, thrift
    shops, etc.
    Im in a small city north of Chattanooga so theres not many bike places around here. Ive had to pretty much sell everything I own to pay for my med bills. Hell, im even sleeping on a friends couch atm to help pay it off. So any recommendations would be wonderful lol

  6. #6
    Senior Member buffalowings's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    700
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shorae View Post
    Im in a small city north of Chattanooga so theres not many bike places around here. Ive had to pretty much sell everything I own to pay for my med bills. Hell, im even sleeping on a friends couch atm to help pay it off. So any recommendations would be wonderful lol
    Have you rode 60 miles before? It'll be a mission, if you average 15mph (very doable) it will take 4 hours.
    Noooooo! My thread!! -_________- http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php/896498-Do-you-pack-quot-heat-quot-while-cycling

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    5
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by buffalowings View Post
    Have you rode 60 miles before? It'll be a mission, if you average 15mph (very doable) it will take 4 hours.
    I'm not new to long distances like this in the least. Its been a while tho after the surgeries I've had. So I know what to expect there . I just havent invested in the proper bike till now

  8. #8
    Senior Member link0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles
    My Bikes
    '11 Merlin Extralight, '98 Dean Castanza, '89 Schwinn Prologue
    Posts
    428
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try looking on craigslist for bikes around your size that are relatively recent models. You can post links here for us to evaluate.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    My Bikes
    Super Cheap gc3 approved Bike
    Posts
    1,201
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shorae View Post
    I'm not new to long distances like this in the least. Its been a while tho after the surgeries I've had. So I know what to expect there . I just havent invested in the proper bike till now
    Damn, 4 hour bike rides for Dr. Appts. That will suck. I hope that's 60 miles both ways, not one way.

    I would recommend Craigslist. Only buy in person and take the bike for a spin for fitting.
    - Don't be afraid to email or contact and just ask them if they are willing to buy for less, offer a price. Often, on Craigslist they just want to get rid of it and sell it fast, not wait for months for the right price if they ever get it.

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    5
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    New Jamis 58cm Road bike

    This one good? Its the only one that hasnt sold. And its 60 one way. Id crash with a friend and head back the next day.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •