Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (http://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycling/)
-   -   Wtf! (http://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycling/938606-wtf.html)

vandutch 03-16-14 11:08 PM

Wtf!
 
I've got about 120 miles under my belt, increased my miles every ride (longest ride so far is 25 miles) and all has been great but the last two rides my calf's are cramping up about 4 miles into the ride, should I take a break? ride on and muscle pass this? I've made sure my hydration is good (my urine is light) I've been working on my cadence and pedal technic and since the cramping has started any thoughts or suggestions?

Space Pope 03-16-14 11:17 PM

Try stretching. I'll admit that I don't always stretch but it is always best to do so before any athletic activity to avoid injuries, or in your case, cramps.

gamby 03-16-14 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Space Pope (Post 16584215)
Try stretching. I'll admit that I don't always stretch but it is always best to do so before any athletic activity to avoid injuries, or in your case, cramps.

I hate to be contrarian, but pre-activity stretching has be frowned upon for quite some time now. Post-activity stretching is a different story--do that.

Cramping at 4 miles is puzzling. That's WAY too soon to cramp. Maybe do some easy spinning for the first 4 or 5 miles until you're fully warmed up.

Space Pope 03-16-14 11:26 PM

Not it sure where you've heard that but if you notice in just about every sport, athletes stretch and warm up prior to their events. You don't want to work out cold/stiff muscles.


Quote:

Originally Posted by gamby (Post 16584221)
I hate to be contrarian, but pre-activity stretching has be frowned upon for quite some time now. Post-activity stretching is a different story--do that.

Cramping at 4 miles is puzzling. That's WAY too soon to cramp. Maybe do some easy spinning for the first 4 or 5 miles until you're fully warmed up.


Jakedatc 03-16-14 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gamby (Post 16584221)
I hate to be contrarian, but pre-activity stretching has be frowned upon for quite some time now. Post-activity stretching is a different story--do that.

Cramping at 4 miles is puzzling. That's WAY too soon to cramp. Maybe do some easy spinning for the first 4 or 5 miles until you're fully warmed up.

not contrarian.. just correct. i will do some stretches part way through a ride and at any rest/snack stops.

4mi in is strange. i'd agree that you might have been going too hard out of the gate. back off a bit to start and maybe eat a banana beforehand :)

Jakedatc 03-16-14 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Space Pope (Post 16584235)
Not it sure where you've heard that but if you notice in just about every sport, athletes stretch and warm up prior to their events. You don't want to work out cold/stiff muscles.

in most every sport now they do some sort of active warm up that does not include static stretching. usually light jogging, large range of motion movements, sport specific range of motion, moving up to game speed activities.

welcome to the modern world.

BoSoxYacht 03-16-14 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gamby (Post 16584221)
I hate to be contrarian, but pre-activity stretching has be frowned upon for quite some time now. Post-activity stretching is a different story--do that.

thank you for correcting Space Pope before the OP took the advice and hurt himself.

Pre-activity warmup is helpful to prevent injury. Take a few minutes to get the muscles loose and warm before increasing the intensity. On most rides I'll JRA a little bit to get the blood moving. 15-20 minutes should be enough.

vandutch 03-16-14 11:39 PM

Thanks! I'm guilty about jumping on the bike and riding and its up a long hill right from the start I will try warming up first.

Cookiemonsta 03-17-14 04:36 AM

Cramps within 4 miles probably means you are going all out from the start. The obvious first suggestion would be to do a warm up. Treat the first 2-4 miles as a warmup to get ready for the rest of the ride. See how you go from there.

Dudelsack 03-17-14 05:21 AM

Dang those warm ups. They play havoc with the average moving speed.

bmontgomery87 03-17-14 05:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jakedatc (Post 16584242)
in most every sport now they do some sort of active warm up that does not include static stretching. usually light jogging, large range of motion movements, sport specific range of motion, moving up to game speed activities.

welcome to the modern world.

+1
Pretty much, if you see a sports team doing static stretching before an event, you can rest assured that their coach hasn't kept up with science or training for quite a while.

dynamic warmups are important, static stretching is nearly useless.

a77impala 03-17-14 07:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cookiemonsta (Post 16584424)
Cramps within 4 miles probably means you are going all out from the start. The obvious first suggestion would be to do a warm up. Treat the first 2-4 miles as a warmup to get ready for the rest of the ride. See how you go from there.

+10

canam73 03-17-14 07:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dudelsack (Post 16584453)
Dang those warm ups. They play havoc with the average moving speed.

Lap button.

Dudelsack 03-17-14 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by canam73 (Post 16584679)
Lap button.

Lap dancing.

canam73 03-17-14 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dudelsack (Post 16584800)
Lap dancing.

Dudelsack.

Icculus21 03-17-14 08:20 AM

Dehydration can cause cramps, especially in extremities. Maybe you're not drinking enough before you go.

therhodeo 03-17-14 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Icculus21 (Post 16584816)
Dehydration can cause cramps, especially in extremities. Maybe you're not drinking enough before you go.

Not likely after 4 miles.

valygrl 03-17-14 09:00 AM

are you wearing sneakers?

Dudelsack 03-17-14 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by canam73 (Post 16584807)
Dudelsack.

canam73

RollCNY 03-17-14 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by canam73 (Post 16584807)
Dudelsack.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dudelsack (Post 16584965)
canam73

Qft.

Dudelsack 03-17-14 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RollCNY (Post 16584990)
Qft.

Hey, mind your own beeswax. We're having a bromance or something.

aubiecat 03-17-14 09:44 AM

Some people swear by pickle juice.

banerjek 03-17-14 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aubiecat (Post 16585091)
Some people swear by pickle juice.

I've been using it for years. But that's on endurance days.

Overwhelming odds are that OP is just trying to do too much too fast and he has no problem that will prevent him from finding speed or distance later. Or even on the same ride for that matter.

merlinextraligh 03-17-14 09:50 AM

The data on what causes cramping is pretty limited. There's not good data to support either dehydration or electrolyte depletion as cuases.

Best theory is your working your muscles beyond what they're trained for. 4 miles in does seem often early. But if you're pushing hard from the gun with no warm up that could be the explanation.

So try warminig up. And if you do cramp early into a ride, back off your pace, recover, and gradually increase your effort after the cramps go away.

merlinextraligh 03-17-14 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Space Pope (Post 16584215)
Try stretching. I'll admit that I don't always stretch but it is always best to do so before any athletic activity to avoid injuries, or in your case, cramps.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Space Pope (Post 16584235)
Not it sure where you've heard that but if you notice in just about every sport, athletes stretch and warm up prior to their events. You don't want to work out cold/stiff muscles.

You are a bit behnd the times on this subject.

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/0...ype=blogs&_r=0

Pretty much consensus now is warm up, don't stretch pre activity.

Stretch post activity, but even there the data is mixed on how useful stretching is.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:00 AM.