Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 23 of 23
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Go Ducks!
    Posts
    1,332
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    What do you like in a wet-pavement 28mm road tire for longish rides?

    So, I want to put a set of good 28's on my winter bike. It's for recreational rides in the wet, 30-50 miles. Snow and ice are not in the mission; just want a 28mm tire that is efficient and excels on wet pavement.

    Suggestions?
    Every time that wheel turn 'round,
    Bound to cover just a little more ground!

  2. #2
    just another gosling Carbonfiberboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Everett, WA
    My Bikes
    CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004
    Posts
    8,080
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Best I've personally run is the Michelin PRO4 Endurance in 25mm, which when inflated measures just a hair shy of 28mm. I've now run these 2 winters in the PNW, riding almost every week.

  3. #3
    Senior Member Kopsis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    444
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I run Panaracer T-Serv Protex 28s when I use my CX bike as a rain bike during the spring/summer. I'm pretty happy with them (used 'em on a 35 mile group ride yesterday), but I don't have a lot to compare them with.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Adrianinkc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,467
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Conti 4 seasons
    2013 Specialized Roubaix SL4

  5. #5
    Redefining Lazy Slackerprince's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Tampa via PDX, Summers on LV-426
    My Bikes
    2013 Cannondale Synapse 5 105, 2013 Giant Escape 3
    Posts
    1,564
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Conti Super Sport Plus-Fast, cheap, great puncture protection.

    Continental SuperSport Plus at BikeTiresDirect

    S
    Shut up, everything

  6. #6
    Senior Member grolby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    BOSTON BABY
    Posts
    6,778
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can do worse than the Panaracer Pasela, for more money. The one downside of these tires is the lack of a folding bead option in most sizes (including 28). If you don't care about having a wire bead - which is fine, just a little heavier and less foldable than Kevlar - than it's a very fast, sticky, comfy tire for the price.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    1,393
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used Conti Gatorskins in 28 this past winter. They were smoother and seemed to have less rolling resistance than the Pasela TG I used before. I've put the GP4000S in 25 back on now and like them much better. I understand those will be available soon in 28.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Eugene, Oregon
    Posts
    4,626
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ride many of the same roads as the OP. Here in Lane County, the roads department has this wonderfully sharp grit they put down in the winter. It's not just gravel, it's like obsidian. I have found that the Conti GP 4 Seasons seam to hold up the best to this stuff.

    Of course, if you head off onto state or federally maintained roads, they don't seem to have the same sharp grit, so you can get by with a less-tough tire. But who wants a flat on Roman Nose?

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Go Ducks!
    Posts
    1,332
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am usually out in the Warthen/ Sheffler/ Poodle Creek/ Lawrence/ Butler/ Kirk area unless I'm with a buddy; then we are out west of Junction City. Anyway, the sharpness of gravel hasn't been an issue for me, but just the presence of it in the winter as well as all manner of storm debris has me liking the notion of 28's just for a bit more stability.

    B. Carfree: Butler is a great, and very pretty, conditioning ride...
    Every time that wheel turn 'round,
    Bound to cover just a little more ground!

  10. #10
    Senior Member grolby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    BOSTON BABY
    Posts
    6,778
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shelbyfv View Post
    I used Conti Gatorskins in 28 this past winter. They were smoother and seemed to have less rolling resistance than the Pasela TG I used before. I've put the GP4000S in 25 back on now and like them much better. I understand those will be available soon in 28.
    The TG Paselas are slower than the non-TG version. I tend to avoid tires with flat protection layers, as I don't flat enough to justify the penalty in speed and comfort, but YMMV. If the GP4000S is indeed coming in 700x28, that's really exciting - that's a great tire.

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Seattle
    My Bikes
    80s Rodriguez handmade lugged steel road, 1996 Bianchi Reparto Corse cyclocross, 1982 Cyclepro mountain bike, Xtracycle
    Posts
    444
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm running 28s, a Conti Gatorskin in the rear and a Pasela Tourguard up front. The Pasela has a little more tread so I thought I'd put it up front. Probably not the lightest or smoothest tires, but I'm *training* right? And I don't want to flat. I know somebody with GP 4-seasons and like 'em they're a little lighter and more performance oriented. I've been told the GP4000S is great tire but a bit more of a summer tire. BTW I don't think tread really matters in a tire of this diameter (still skinny). The tire is not going to hydroplane, the contact patch is too small with too much pressure on it.

  12. #12
    Senior Member Jiggle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Somewhere in TX
    My Bikes
    CAAD 9
    Posts
    585
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kenda Kwest. Cheap and Durable. Perfect tire for the bike you bash around.

  13. #13
    Senior Member Jay Olson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Kanata, Ontario, Canada
    My Bikes
    Colnago EPS, Time Edge RS, Cinelli Mystic Rats
    Posts
    132
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Schwalbe Marathon Supreme are also good.

  14. #14
    Senior Member Tim_Iowa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Cedar Rapids, IA
    My Bikes
    1997 Rivendell Road Standard (tourer), 1997 Giordana XL-Eco (gofast), 2006 Cannondale F400 (MTB), 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10 (gravel grinder)
    Posts
    324
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love the Grand Bois Cerf tires. Fast, comfy, durable.

    The Cerf Green is 29mm, if your bike can fit it.
    The Cerf Blue is 27mm, if you can't fit the green.

  15. #15
    Senior Member grolby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    BOSTON BABY
    Posts
    6,778
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Niloc View Post
    I'm running 28s, a Conti Gatorskin in the rear and a Pasela Tourguard up front. The Pasela has a little more tread so I thought I'd put it up front. Probably not the lightest or smoothest tires, but I'm *training* right? And I don't want to flat. I know somebody with GP 4-seasons and like 'em they're a little lighter and more performance oriented. I've been told the GP4000S is great tire but a bit more of a summer tire. BTW I don't think tread really matters in a tire of this diameter (still skinny). The tire is not going to hydroplane, the contact patch is too small with too much pressure on it.
    I ride the GP4000S year-round. I'm not sure what the heck anyone means by a "winter tire" when discussing bike tires, other than tires with actual studs in them.

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Go Ducks!
    Posts
    1,332
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, for myself I'm talking about a tire optimized for what I deal with here in the winter. I don't ride on ice or snow so that means I'm talking about gravel on the roads from when it did snow, lots of tree debris (twigs and slippery small pine needle "slurry" being the main offenders; obviously I miss any big branches) and wet pavement.

    Summer condition have none of that. So as long as I'm going all OCD on it thinking a slightly tougher 28mm tire at least sounds ideal. I reserve the right to be wrong.

    Frame clearance was mentioned. I have a huge amount as well as long-reach brakes. I should be able to run even up to 42mm tires- I think 35's with fenders will work. But I'm thinking 28's will be plenty for my conditioning rides.
    Every time that wheel turn 'round,
    Bound to cover just a little more ground!

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    NZ
    My Bikes
    More than 1, but, less than S-1
    Posts
    3,368
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Conti GP 4 Seasons
    Birth Certificate, Passport, Marriage License Driver's License and Residency Permit all say I'm a Fred. I guess there's no denying it.

  18. #18
    Senior Member metalheart44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Sierra Foothills, NorCal
    My Bikes
    Holland Exogrid
    Posts
    400
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is worth a quick look 28mm Tire Shootout - Slowtwitch.com

  19. #19
    I'm doing it wrong. RJM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    My Bikes
    Rivendell Roadeo, Rivendell Sam Hillborne.
    Posts
    1,902
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Long Tom View Post
    Well, for myself I'm talking about a tire optimized for what I deal with here in the winter. I don't ride on ice or snow so that means I'm talking about gravel on the roads from when it did snow, lots of tree debris (twigs and slippery small pine needle "slurry" being the main offenders; obviously I miss any big branches) and wet pavement.

    Summer condition have none of that. So as long as I'm going all OCD on it thinking a slightly tougher 28mm tire at least sounds ideal. I reserve the right to be wrong.

    Frame clearance was mentioned. I have a huge amount as well as long-reach brakes. I should be able to run even up to 42mm tires- I think 35's with fenders will work. But I'm thinking 28's will be plenty for my conditioning rides.
    I use 32mm Compass Stampede Pass tires on my Roadeo now, after riding the last couple of weeks on these tires I can say I am totally hooked on them. So comfy and feel quick, stick to the road in turns. The 28mm tires are called the Chinook Pass and I would imagine they are just as good. Compass Bicycles: 700C Tires

    I honestly have felt absolutely no difference with speed going from 25s (Conti 4000s) to the 32s on the Roadeo. I do feel a comfort difference.
    "Rivendells do not rock; they jamboree."
    "I love the bike. Itís my meditation. I think I am Ďbike-sexual." - Robin Williams
    "East coast intellectuals have degrees in everything. Sort of a blanket coverage kind of thing."

  20. #20
    .
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Hillsboro, Oregon
    My Bikes
    2010 Moots Psychlo-x ybb, 2013 Soma ES, 89 Trek 950
    Posts
    3,682
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim_Iowa View Post
    I love the Grand Bois Cerf tires. Fast, comfy, durable.

    The Cerf Green is 29mm, if your bike can fit it.
    The Cerf Blue is 27mm, if you can't fit the green.
    Excellent tires. I run the 32 mm version and these are the best tires I've ever had. Not cheap though.
    Demented internet tail wagging imbicile.

  21. #21
    .
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Hillsboro, Oregon
    My Bikes
    2010 Moots Psychlo-x ybb, 2013 Soma ES, 89 Trek 950
    Posts
    3,682
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RJM View Post
    I use 32mm Compass Stampede Pass tires on my Roadeo now, after riding the last couple of weeks on these tires I can say I am totally hooked on them. So comfy and feel quick, stick to the road in turns. The 28mm tires are called the Chinook Pass and I would imagine they are just as good. Compass Bicycles: 700C Tires

    I honestly have felt absolutely no difference with speed going from 25s (Conti 4000s) to the 32s on the Roadeo. I do feel a comfort difference.
    This is what surprised me as well. I totally expected to be bored with the ride, but they aren't any slower than my "race" tires. But a major increase in comfort. I routinely take them down gravel roads and they are even smooth on that type of road.
    Demented internet tail wagging imbicile.

  22. #22
    enthusiast JamieElenbaas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Kirkland, WA
    My Bikes
    2010 BMC SL 01 Roadracer, 2012 Davidson Tandem
    Posts
    498
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Best I've personally run is the Michelin PRO4 Endurance in 25mm, which when inflated measures just a hair shy of 28mm. I've now run these 2 winters in the PNW, riding almost every week.
    I'll second the Pro4 recommendation. There may be tougher tires out there, but these are sticky in wet conditions, roll well, and have a nice supple ride quality. Maybe it's a rainy PNW thing.

  23. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Go Ducks!
    Posts
    1,332
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think those and the Cerf are most intriguing.
    Every time that wheel turn 'round,
    Bound to cover just a little more ground!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •