Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    5
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Need opinions before purchasing

    I'm going to need your opinions! About 10 days ago, my fixed gear bike was stolen. I have decided that should I not find it, I will buy a brand new road bike and possibly compete. I was wondering what BF thought of my wish list for the summer. Keep in mind I'm brand new and any criticism is welcome.


    Here's the list of the items I will be ordering from amazon since they aren't really in my price range at my local bike store.




    The bike in question. I'm also debating whether to get this one or the 2014 model for $60 more.



    And 39.99 for the Specialized align helmet seems like a good deal.

    Overall, what do you guys think?

  2. #2
    Senior Member RPK79's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    SE MN
    My Bikes
    Fuji Roubaix Pro
    Posts
    3,825
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What about shoes? You ride a 49 frame but wear a large bib/jersey? Might want some spare tubes too and possibly some gloves...

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    5
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm short and decently muscular so I ride a 49, I'm sure a medium would fit me too. I'm not buying shoes either because I already have them from my last bike that was stolen, it had my spd pedals on there

  4. #4
    Climbing: Ropes or Wheels PiLigand's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Unied States, Maine
    My Bikes
    2012 Scott Foil 30, 1980 Univega
    Posts
    160
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Worth the $60 IMO for the 2014. The allez is a nice bike. Good call on that one.

    I assume you already have shoes & helmet from your fixiing? Otherwise, $40 isn't bad for a helmet.

    I wouldn't quite say you NEED a GPS computer. I carry my phone with me and occasionally check a map when I'm on a new route, but I don't consider GPS a necessity. You could probably save about $100-$60 there if you just got a basic computer. Otherwise, looks like a good setup.
    Uh oh. I'm looking at Ebay again...

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    My Bikes
    Super Cheap gc3 approved Bike
    Posts
    1,201
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I suggest getting fitted for your bike. No excuse to not get fitted on a Specialized, they seem to me the most popular bike sold in LBS. And Allez one of the most popular bikes on the road. Good chance nearly any shop you walk into will have a Specialized Allez for you to try out.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Central Cali
    My Bikes
    The Cult
    Posts
    608
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PiLigand View Post
    Worth the $60 IMO for the 2014. The allez is a nice bike. Good call on that one.

    I assume you already have shoes & helmet from your fixiing? Otherwise, $40 isn't bad for a helmet.

    I wouldn't quite say you NEED a GPS computer. I carry my phone with me and occasionally check a map when I'm on a new route, but I don't consider GPS a necessity. You could probably save about $100-$60 there if you just got a basic computer. Otherwise, looks like a good setup.
    I would go with the 2014 as well. 60$ is nothing and you have more of a choice.

    gps is not needed, the fun part of biking is doing some exploring.

    The only thing I want a gps for is looking at my route after a ride. but a basic 30$ computer will get the job done. I had a wired and liked it. I never hooked up the cadence but having a wire coiled down the front brake cable was nothing.

    money can be saved w/bottle cages as well....the cheap metal ones do just as good of a job as the carbon ones.

    w/a 49cm frame make sure your bottles will fit in the frame, larger bottles may not.

    I have a small basic saddle bag, big enough for a tube, 3 levers, pk patch kit (glued patches), multitool, and my keys.

    I have the topeak pocket rocket and love it.

    Basic pedals get the job done, you may want to bite the bullet and get 105 pedals. I noticed 105 were FAR smoother than the basic pedals.

    I can see what else is in that picture...

    But those are just my thoughts.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    My Bikes
    Super Cheap gc3 approved Bike
    Posts
    1,201
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Team Sarcasm View Post
    I would go with the 2014 as well. 60$ is nothing and you have more of a choice.

    gps is not needed, the fun part of biking is doing some exploring.

    The only thing I want a gps for is looking at my route after a ride. but a basic 30$ computer will get the job done. I had a wired and liked it. I never hooked up the cadence but having a wire coiled down the front brake cable was nothing.

    money can be saved w/bottle cages as well....the cheap metal ones do just as good of a job as the carbon ones.

    w/a 49cm frame make sure your bottles will fit in the frame, larger bottles may not.

    I have a small basic saddle bag, big enough for a tube, 3 levers, pk patch kit (glued patches), multitool, and my keys.

    I have the topeak pocket rocket and love it.

    Basic pedals get the job done, you may want to bite the bullet and get 105 pedals. I noticed 105 were FAR smoother than the basic pedals.

    I can see what else is in that picture...

    But those are just my thoughts.
    You can get a larger image of it...

    Portable pump and bib suit stuff. I would suggest looking into using CO2 cartridges so you're not sitting there pumping away furiously with a tiny pump. You can get carbon water bottle cages for $20 with free shipping for two. And at least for me, I wouldn't bother with patch kits. Just buy tubes since they are so cheap. Probably easier to just throw on a new tube than to try to patch one, looking for the hole.

    Since starting to cycle everywhere I go, I haven't used a GPS yet, except for what's on my phone. Sometimes it just takes an extra 5 minutes to look up directions before heading out, not a big deal. Though the garmin thing might be cool for other features or if you care about strava.
    Last edited by zymphad; 04-01-14 at 11:49 AM.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Central Cali
    My Bikes
    The Cult
    Posts
    608
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zymphad View Post
    You can get a larger image of it...

    Portable pump and bib suit stuff. I would suggest looking into using CO2 cartridges so you're not sitting there pumping away furiously with a tiny pump. You can get carbon water bottle cages for $20 with free shipping for two. And at least for me, I wouldn't bother with patch kits. Just buy tubes since they are so cheap. Probably easier to just throw on a new tube than to try to patch one, looking for the hole.
    It's not "furiously pumping away". Takes maybe 4 minutes to pump up a tire with the pump.

    Patches take maybe 5 minutes to apply if you wait the entire time for the glue to do its thing before applying the patch.

    And if you patch it correctly (always use patches w/glue an AVOID glue-less patches) you don't have to swap tubes. I have had tubes w/6-7 patches that have held up fine.

    Plus, what happens if you have 2 cartilages and you get 3 flats?


    And for what it's worth, the frame pump weighs as much as 2 cartridges and the applicator.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    My Bikes
    Super Cheap gc3 approved Bike
    Posts
    1,201
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    3 flats? That would be a crappy day. I'd quit and call a cab and scream at the sky. I've been biking everyday for commuting, about 150 miles a week, not that much, but still, haven't had a single flat yet. So I would be surprised if you got one flat, if you got 3, then there is a gremlin littering the road ahead of you :/

    @roninpwns do you know that your Allez comes with aluminum fork? The older Allez models came with carbon forks and some of the nicer came with full carbon with carbon steerer. I for $800 try to buy a used Specialized Allez with nicer components for same price. Maybe Shimano 105 or SRAM Rival.
    Last edited by zymphad; 04-01-14 at 12:05 PM.

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    44
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you happen to live in NYC or anywhere near I knew bunch of shops having clearance sale for the 2013 Allez for low $600s.

  11. #11
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    5
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are the 105's a groupset or just the pedals? I don't really have any experience changing groupsets unless they're just simply just remove the old groupset and drop the new on in?
    I've also decided to drop the GPS which gives me an extra $130.

    Edit: I'm going to assume it's the pedals because the groupset is $625

  12. #12
    Climbing: Ropes or Wheels PiLigand's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Unied States, Maine
    My Bikes
    2012 Scott Foil 30, 1980 Univega
    Posts
    160
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Team Sarcasm View Post
    Plus, what happens if you have 2 cartilages and you get 3 flats?
    Quote Originally Posted by zymphad View Post
    3 flats? That would be a crappy day. I'd quit and call a cab and scream at the sky. I've been biking everyday for commuting, about 150 miles a week, not that much, but still, haven't had a single flat yet. So I would be surprised if you got one flat, if you got 3, then there is a gremlin littering the road ahead of you :/
    This has happened. To me. It was within the first 40 miles of a charity century. And it was some serious BS. Only flats I've ever gotten.
    But I still only carry a tube and CO2. I'm fine with being an anomaly, but if it happens again, I'm just quitting regardless of what tools I have available at the time.
    Uh oh. I'm looking at Ebay again...

  13. #13
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    5
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Decided to bump up the bike to a 2014 Specialized Allez sport for $899.99. Hopefully I can find an older allez with better specs by the time I decide to buy.

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Central Cali
    My Bikes
    The Cult
    Posts
    608
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by roninpwns View Post
    Are the 105's a groupset or just the pedals? I don't really have any experience changing groupsets unless they're just simply just remove the old groupset and drop the new on in?
    I've also decided to drop the GPS which gives me an extra $130.

    Edit: I'm going to assume it's the pedals because the groupset is $625
    Pedals

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Central Cali
    My Bikes
    The Cult
    Posts
    608
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PiLigand View Post
    This has happened. To me. It was within the first 40 miles of a charity century. And it was some serious BS. Only flats I've ever gotten.
    But I still only carry a tube and CO2. I'm fine with being an anomaly, but if it happens again, I'm just quitting regardless of what tools I have available at the time.
    I ran over some glass and it got the tube good enough to change in a new one. 3 miles later more glass was in the road that I could not avoid and got both tires. Thankfully the second set of flats cold be patched cause I only carry 1 tube.

    And to the OP, a pump is cheaper. the pocket rocket was like 18$ or something? only takes a few flats for co2 to become much more expensive just to save a few minutes out on the road (which when you get home you have to air down your tires and air them back up with real air anyways because co2 leaks through the tubes/tires easily)

  16. #16
    L-I-V-I-N dtrain's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Stafford, OR
    Posts
    2,978
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    +1 on the budget bump to the 'sport' and the suggestion of 105 pedals > r540's (though the r550's might be alright).
    "The older you do get, the more rules they're gonna try to get you to follow. You just gotta keep livin', man, L-I-V-I-N." - Wooderson

    '11 Fuji SL - '04 Bianchi Imola - '99 Gary Fisher Big Sur

  17. #17
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    5
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What's the difference between my old shimanos vs the 105? I didn't see a big problem

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Central Cali
    My Bikes
    The Cult
    Posts
    608
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They are smoother in both the pedal stroke as well as cleat float. They hold your cleats better and overall just feel more refined. idk if there is much difference between the 105 and the 105c (besides weight) but I have no complaints with my normal 105.

    If you're on a budget, all pedals will do the same thing so if you already have pedals you can use those and choose to upgrade later on if you wish. I am not saying you have to buy them, they are just nice

  19. #19
    L-I-V-I-N dtrain's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Stafford, OR
    Posts
    2,978
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not a big problem, I just think r540's are outdated and wouldn't pay too much for them. They are narrower than the newer models and the plastic middle piece will wear out quickly. You should be able to find alloy 105's or those resin r550's for just a few bucks more. I grabbed carbon 105's for $25 more than the pedals in your cart image (from Ribble last week).
    "The older you do get, the more rules they're gonna try to get you to follow. You just gotta keep livin', man, L-I-V-I-N." - Wooderson

    '11 Fuji SL - '04 Bianchi Imola - '99 Gary Fisher Big Sur

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •