Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-22-14, 06:05 AM   #51
Bob Dopolina 
Mr. Dopolina
 
Bob Dopolina's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Taiwan
Bikes: KUUPAS, Simpson VR
Posts: 9,945
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrianinkc View Post
I see what you're saying but I don't think the lighting helps that one, or the blue one for that matter.
That's partially true but it does hi light my point.

Spend some time with Photoshop and use some lighter greys to give dimension before you pull the trigger on another sprayer. Include the group set.
__________________
BLOG of BOB: Old Guy Racer
BDop Cycling Company Ltd.: bdopcycling.com, facebook
Bob Dopolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-14, 06:16 AM   #52
Bob Dopolina 
Mr. Dopolina
 
Bob Dopolina's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Taiwan
Bikes: KUUPAS, Simpson VR
Posts: 9,945
Actually, I have another question.

Instead of using a solid, single colour on the frame have you considered using a second orange colour to highlight the interesting contours of the frame?

Single colours make sense on round steel tubes but with all the shapes found on a carbon frame there are a lot of interesting possibilities to experiment with contours, light and shape.

I could see a lighter orange in small qty on different parts of the frame that would really play with the shapes already there.
__________________
BLOG of BOB: Old Guy Racer
BDop Cycling Company Ltd.: bdopcycling.com, facebook
Bob Dopolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-14, 07:34 AM   #53
Adrianinkc 
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Adrianinkc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 1,543
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dopolina View Post
Actually, I have another question.

Instead of using a solid, single colour on the frame have you considered using a second orange colour to highlight the interesting contours of the frame?

Single colours make sense on round steel tubes but with all the shapes found on a carbon frame there are a lot of interesting possibilities to experiment with contours, light and shape.

I could see a lighter orange in small qty on different parts of the frame that would really play with the shapes already there.
I was thinking of something similar but I have a buddy with a two tone orange Klein and didn't want to copy too much.
Adrianinkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-14, 07:53 AM   #54
himespau 
Senior Member
 
himespau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Louisville, KY
Bikes:
Posts: 9,356
Interesting. I think some black pinstriping (with maybe some smaller white pinstripes) on the frame would could up the all orange and give some accents to the cool curvature of the frame. Probably be a huge pain in the ass to get it just right, but I think it'd really make it pop. I agree that the logos were a bit over the top on the original.
himespau is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-14, 01:56 PM   #55
BENZ28
Senior Member
 
BENZ28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Lake Jackson, Texas
Bikes: 2007 S-Works Tarmac, 2013 Venge, 2012 Secteur
Posts: 103
Great project so far! I'm in the middle of a similar project.
Couple questions to the OP.
1. Did you spray in any type of controlled environment, booth/prep-station? How bad were the nibs? Did it really need cut/buff or are you just particular? 2. What were your concerns with Spesh, I know they are sticklers with regards to their copyrights, but not sure if that is what you were referring to.


Keep us posted I'm excited to see more custom paint jobs on bikes.
BENZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-14, 04:19 PM   #56
pdedes
ka maté ka maté ka ora
 
pdedes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: wessex
Bikes: breezer venturi - red novo bosberg - red, pedal force cg1 - red, neuvation f-100 - da, devinci phantom - xt, miele piste - miche/campy, bianchi reparto corse sbx, concorde squadra tsx - da, miele team issue sl - ultegra
Posts: 4,365
additional question for OP. what is "adhesion promoter"?
pdedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-14, 06:35 PM   #57
Adrianinkc 
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Adrianinkc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 1,543
Quote:
Originally Posted by BENZ28 View Post
Great project so far! I'm in the middle of a similar project.
Couple questions to the OP.
1. Did you spray in any type of controlled environment, booth/prep-station? How bad were the nibs? Did it really need cut/buff or are you just particular? 2. What were your concerns with Spesh, I know they are sticklers with regards to their copyrights, but not sure if that is what you were referring to.

Keep us posted I'm excited to see more custom paint jobs on bikes.
Paint booth, not so much nibs just really picky and love the wet look. I don't like the way they push around the little guy, products are awesome though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdedes View Post
additional question for OP. what is "adhesion promoter"?
It's a clear liquid that you spray on for better adhesion, mainly used on bumpers so the paint does not flake off when the bumper flexes.



Little update still waiting on PRO stem so I painted a Zipp service course stem and the PRO seatpost, looks great the stem is a bit short but it will work for now until my order shows up from Ribble. No pics till tomorrow.
Adrianinkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-14, 09:26 PM   #58
Bob Dopolina 
Mr. Dopolina
 
Bob Dopolina's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Taiwan
Bikes: KUUPAS, Simpson VR
Posts: 9,945
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrianinkc View Post
I was thinking of something similar but I have a buddy with a two tone orange Klein and didn't want to copy too much.
What about using the some colour but in a gloss (as you already have) and accenting with the same colour but matte? You could do some funky stuff with the tubing shapes.
__________________
BLOG of BOB: Old Guy Racer
BDop Cycling Company Ltd.: bdopcycling.com, facebook
Bob Dopolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-14, 01:54 PM   #59
scott967
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Oahu, HI
Bikes: 89 Paramount OS 84 Fuji Touring Series III New! 2013 Focus Izalco Ergoride
Posts: 546
Was watching the Amstel Gold and CCC Polsat continental team is on orange/black Guerciotti bikes. Maybe a little busy with the black accents but with the orange team kit too it was a little much overall for me.

scott s.
.
scott967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-14, 06:28 PM   #60
Adrianinkc 
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Adrianinkc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 1,543
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dopolina View Post
What about using the some colour but in a gloss (as you already have) and accenting with the same colour but matte? You could do some funky stuff with the tubing shapes.
Thanks for all the suggestions decided to leave it like it is for now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott967 View Post
Was watching the Amstel Gold and CCC Polsat continental team is on orange/black Guerciotti bikes. Maybe a little busy with the black accents but with the orange team kit too it was a little much overall for me.

scott s.
.
So should I cancel the giro empires in black and orange ?
Adrianinkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-14, 07:02 PM   #61
BikeAnon
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Bikes:
Posts: 176
I dig what you're doing.

I debadged/dezertz-logoed mine. Mostly covered up with 3M 680C reflective tape. BBQ spray paint for the stem. The added weight of the stickers was offset by the weight of the Zertz logos (15 grams of pot-metal).

Quote:

Last edited by BikeAnon; 04-24-14 at 07:24 AM.
BikeAnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-14, 07:36 PM   #62
Adrianinkc 
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Adrianinkc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 1,543
Quote:
Originally Posted by BikeAnon View Post
I dig what you're doing.

I debadged/dezertz-logoed mine. Mostly covered up with 3M 680C reflective tape. BBQ spray paint for the stem. The added weight of the stickers was offset by the weight of the Zertz logos (16 grams of pot-metal).

Before:



--with flash--
Looks good thanks for sharing. I had the same bike before this one.
Adrianinkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-14, 07:37 PM   #63
Adrianinkc 
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Adrianinkc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 1,543
Adrianinkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-14, 07:53 PM   #64
Slackerprince
Redefining Lazy
 
Slackerprince's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Tampa via PDX, Summers on LV-426
Bikes: 2013 Cannondale Synapse 5 105, 2013 Giant Escape 3
Posts: 1,904
When do you think you'll have it assembled?


S
Slackerprince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-14, 08:27 PM   #65
Bob Dopolina 
Mr. Dopolina
 
Bob Dopolina's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Taiwan
Bikes: KUUPAS, Simpson VR
Posts: 9,945
Like.
__________________
BLOG of BOB: Old Guy Racer
BDop Cycling Company Ltd.: bdopcycling.com, facebook
Bob Dopolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-14, 04:55 AM   #66
Campag4life
Banned.
 
Join Date: May 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 10,655
Sounds like you completely removed the Zertz for the sake of vanity...versus say even repainting them to blend with the frame. To me this is a bad decision on two levels.
1. you lose the function of them. They do mitigate high frequency road disturbances because they have to by physics.
2. no Zertz has to look worse than with Zertz inserts.

Apparently you feel differently.

Second comment, purely about aesthetics is...not uncommon to cover up the large, garish Specialized logo with tape. But to not have any detail or contrast on the bike aka make it all monochrome to me makes the bike bland.
Good news is...everything you have done is reversible and at some point you may change your view.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikeAnon View Post
I dig what you're doing.

I debadged/dezertz-logoed mine. Mostly covered up with 3M 680C reflective tape. BBQ spray paint for the stem. The added weight of the stickers was offset by the weight of the Zertz logos (16 grams of pot-metal).

Before:



--with flash--

Last edited by Campag4life; 04-24-14 at 05:49 AM.
Campag4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-14, 07:46 AM   #67
BikeAnon
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Bikes:
Posts: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campag4life View Post
Sounds like you completely removed the Zertz ....
I removed the Zertz logos. The Zertz poly thingees remain in the frame.

Quote:
These just pry out. I was surprised to find that they are metal, and not plastic.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Campag4life View Post
[Zertz] mitigate high frequency road disturbances because they have to by physics....
Zertz has a lot more to do with THIS, than THIS.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Campag4life View Post
....Good news is...everything you have done is reversible and at some point you may change your view.
That was a part of my decision process. The 3M tape claims a seven year exterior life, with the ability to remove with no residue.

My mono-chrome look all started because I couldn't stand the graphics of the FSA cranks, but didn't have the bravery/skill that Adrianinkc showed, when he brought out the sandpaper for his FSAs!
BikeAnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-14, 08:05 AM   #68
canam73
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Haunchyville
Bikes:
Posts: 6,370
[video=youtube;xCIF6JF1O5U]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCIF6JF1O5U[/video]
canam73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-14, 09:04 AM   #69
primov8
V8s all day
 
primov8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: NYC--->Rockville Centre--->NYC
Bikes:
Posts: 775
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrianinkc View Post
The zertz inserts, along with the seat post collar and groupset will provide the right amount of subtle contrast on this custom paint job. Excited to see it finally completed.
primov8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-14, 10:16 AM   #70
Campag4life
Banned.
 
Join Date: May 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 10,655
Quote:
Originally Posted by BikeAnon View Post
I removed the Zertz logos. The Zertz poly thingees remain in the frame.



These just pry out. I was surprised to find that they are metal, and not plastic.



Zertz has a lot more to do with THIS, than THIS.


That was a part of my decision process. The 3M tape claims a seven year exterior life, with the ability to remove with no residue.

My mono-chrome look all started because I couldn't stand the graphics of the FSA cranks, but didn't have the bravery/skill that Adrianinkc showed, when he brought out the sandpaper for his FSAs!
Can you explain how the elastomer is held in place if you removed the pot metal frame screwed to the seat stays?
Do you have a close up of what you did?
Thanks
Campag4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-14, 10:31 AM   #71
BikeAnon
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Bikes:
Posts: 176
Campag4life, below is not my pic, but it illustrates what I did. My Zertz are not wrap-around, they are press-fit into openings in the frame. The logo-metal I removed is pressed into the Zerts, using the pins you see in my pic.

You can flick the logos out (with a bit of work) with the tip of a small screwdriver. It turned out to be less work to press out the entire Zertz, remove logo, press Zertz back in. I then filled the space where the logo was with the 3M reflective tape.

Quote:
BikeAnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-14, 11:02 AM   #72
DXchulo
Upgrading my engine
 
DXchulo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Reno
Bikes:
Posts: 5,913
Quote:
Originally Posted by primov8 View Post
The zertz inserts, along with the seat post collar and groupset will provide the right amount of subtle contrast on this custom paint job. Excited to see it finally completed.
I agree. Keep the bars & saddle black and it's going to look great.
DXchulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-14, 11:24 AM   #73
Adrianinkc 
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Adrianinkc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 1,543
Thanks guys for the comments, I just dropped everything off at the LBS to build, saddle and handlebar are staying black. I'll post pics as soon as I get it.
Adrianinkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-14, 11:36 AM   #74
zymphad
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Bikes: Super Cheap gc3 approved Bike
Posts: 1,764
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrianinkc View Post
Thanks guys for the comments, I just dropped everything off at the LBS to build, saddle and handlebar are staying black. I'll post pics as soon as I get it.
If drivers can't see you now... Would have been fun if you added some of that glow in the dark stuff into the paint, then you can shine both during the day and night.
zymphad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-14, 12:21 PM   #75
Adrianinkc 
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Adrianinkc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 1,543
Quote:
Originally Posted by zymphad View Post
If drivers can't see you now... Would have been fun if you added some of that glow in the dark stuff into the paint, then you can shine both during the day and night.
I've never have had good luck with glow in the dark paint, it's better to use a white base and the effect doesn't last.
Adrianinkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:55 AM.