Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 144
  1. #1
    Senior Member Adrianinkc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,474
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Project Roubaix Debadging

    Here's the story, I've had this Roubaix for over a year and really like the bike so I decided to change it up a bit. While looking for paint scheme's and ideas, no matter where I would look a ton of lawsuits would come up. We all know Specialized is pretty lawsuit happy (they might even be looking here, shhh) although I love the company's products . . . Being a custom painter by trade I got the idea of debadging the bike as well as the components so it wouldn't look like a nascar vehicle. Found a couple nice pics of Parlee's without logos and really liked the idea, also a 2014 De Rosa King RS really helped me in my decision to do this. Lets get started...

    First up some pics of my bike before





    Last edited by BillyD; 04-20-14 at 08:12 AM. Reason: Simmer down.

  2. #2
    Senior Member Adrianinkc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,474
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First up the cranks

    Before sand paper



    After sand paper before clear coat


  3. #3
    ka maté ka maté ka ora pdedes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    wessex
    My Bikes
    novo bosberg - red, pedal force cg1 - red, neuvation f-100 - da, devinci phantom - xt, miele piste - miche/campy, bianchi reparto corse sbx, concorde squadra tsx - da, miele team issue sl - ultegra
    Posts
    3,745
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like where you're going with this. I have a pedal force that is a blank canvas and could use some ideas.
    By the time you're experienced enough to get something germane out of a test ride, you won't need a test ride.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Adrianinkc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,474
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On to the fork



    Zertz



    Not much to it


  5. #5
    Senior Member Adrianinkc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,474
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fork before sandpaper



    After sandpaper (was just soaked in water thats why its not dull)




  6. #6
    Senior Member Adrianinkc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,474
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pdedes View Post
    I like where you're going with this. I have a pedal force that is a blank canvas and could use some ideas.
    Thanks. Stay tuned.

  7. #7
    Senior Member Adrianinkc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,474
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)





  8. #8
    Senior Member Adrianinkc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,474
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

  9. #9
    Senior Member Adrianinkc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,474
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)





  10. #10
    Senior Member Looigi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    7,603
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looking at the pix of that Zertz thingie it kinda makes me wonder what or how much it does. I have an older Roubaix where the Zertz elastomer insert extends through holes that pass through the fork legs, seat stays and seat post. Not sure they do much there either.
    Ride more. Fret less.

  11. #11
    \/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\ SumoMuffin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    SW Virginia
    My Bikes
    Specialized Tarmac
    Posts
    219
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is awesome, keep posting updates. One of my friends has this same bike, its neat to see a new spin on it.

  12. #12
    Senior Member YOJiMBO20's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    My Bikes
    2010 Litespeed Icon, 1987 Nishiki Olympic 12
    Posts
    1,413
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not a big fan of orange, but I like this a lot!

    What colour are you going to use for the accents?
    2010 Litespeed Icon, Rival
    1987 Nishiki Olympic 12, commuterized

  13. #13
    Senior Member Nachoman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Point Loma, CA
    My Bikes
    Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)
    Posts
    12,973
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like it too. Keep posting.
    .
    .

    Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.

  14. #14
    has a Large Member Campag4life's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    9,029
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is very cool. I completely agree with why you are doing this. Specialized as good as their bikes are to me are desecrated with this badging. So well done on taking this initiative.

    Not all Specialized bikes are the same as you know. I love the Expert level of bike you have but they are among the worse in terms of aesthetics due to what I consider to be a pitiful billboarding of their brand. The Pro and Sworks are less obscene generally...on my bike for example the Specialized graphic is way more understated. Also once in a while Specialized has a model that is more monochrome...below is an example of their flag ship Sworks Roubaix SL4 for 2014 in candy red...which isn't too much different for your choice of orange base coat.

    A few questions please if you would take the time to answer:
    1. What grit sand/wet paper do you use to scuff the factory clear/gel coat? Or do you use Scothbrite pads?...if so what color pad...green?
    2. What kind of paint do you suggest for primer, top and clear coat? Water based acrylic enamel? What kind of base/clear do you suspect that Specialized shoots on the carbon frame from the factory?
    3. What kind of *** are you shooting the paint with? Are you using a pro level booth or a home rig?
    4. Do you plan on painting the rubber Zertz inserts? If so will you add an elastomer to the paint to allow flex without cracking?

    I look forward to your results. I bet it will be stunning.

    Thanks for sharing your talent.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Campag4life; 04-20-14 at 02:18 PM.

  15. #15
    Senior Member Adrianinkc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,474
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Crank arm cleared



    Q-Ring is etched so unless I wanted to fill it in with primer the logos will stay barely.


    At least the Q-Rings match the zertz

  16. #16
    Senior Member Adrianinkc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,474
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by YOJiMBO20 View Post
    I'm not a big fan of orange, but I like this a lot!

    What colour are you going to use for the accents?
    Everything will be orange or black.

    Quote Originally Posted by Campag4life View Post
    This is very cool. I completely agree with why you are doing this. Specialized as good as their bikes are to me are desecrated with this badging. So well done on taking this initiative.

    Not all Specialized bikes are the same as you know. I love the Expert level of bike you have but they are among the worse in terms of aesthetics due to what I consider to be a pitiful billboarding of their brand. The Pro and Sworks are less obscene generally...on my bike for example the Specialized graphic is way more understated. Also once in a while Specialized has a model that is more monochrome...below is an example of their flag ship Sworks Roubaix SL4 for 2014 in candy red...which isn't too much different for your choice of orange base coat.

    A few questions please if you would take the time to answer:
    1. What grit sand/wet paper do you use to scuff the factory clear/gel coat? Or do you use Scothbrite pads?...if so what color pad...green?
    2. What kind of paint do you suggest for primer, top and clear coat? Water based acrylic enamel? What kind of base/clear do you suspect that Specialized shoots on the carbon frame from the factory?
    3. What kind of *** are you shooting the paint with? Are you using a pro level booth or a home rig?
    4. Do you plan on painting the rubber Zertz inserts? If so will you add an elastomer to the paint to allow flex without cracking?

    I look forward to your results. I bet it will be stunning.

    Thanks for sharing your talent.
    Love the Candy Red Roubaix.

    1. Started with 400 grit sand paper finished off with red scotchbrite pad .
    2. My personal opinion no primer needed as long as you don't bust through the carbon, I used adhesion promoter and went straight to white base coat followed by the orange pearl. As far as paint, it all works I'm a big fan of house of kolor. The clear I used is uc35 from house of kolor, it is poly urethane instead of most clear coat's which are urethane. Poly urethane dries faster and harder and is very durable against rock chips. As far as what specialized uses that's a good question, seems like base coat clear coat job but I'm not sure.
    3. I used my favorite *** a Sata 3000 RP and used the booth at the body shop.
    4. The zertz rubber inserts are not getting painted but the black piece with the logo did, as you can see from the pic the logo stayed underneath the matte black.
    Last edited by Adrianinkc; 04-20-14 at 04:31 PM.

  17. #17
    has a Large Member Campag4life's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    9,029
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrianinkc View Post
    Everything will be orange or black.



    Love the Candy Red Roubaix.

    1. Started with 400 grit sand paper finished off with red scotchbrite pad .
    2. My personal opinion no primer needed as long as you don't bust through the carbon, I used adhesion promoter and went straight to white base coat followed by the orange pearl. As far as paint, it all works I'm a big fan of house of kolor. The clear I used is uc35 from house of kolor, it is poly urethane instead of most clear coat's which are urethane. Poly urethane dries faster and harder and is very durable against rock chips. As far as what specialized uses that's a good question, seems like base coat clear coat job but I'm not sure.
    3. I used my favorite *** a Sata 3000 RP and used the booth at the body shop.
    4. The zertz rubber inserts are not getting painted but the black piece with the logo did, as you can see from the pic the logo stayed underneath the matte black.
    Thanks. I look forward to your progress.

  18. #18
    Senior Member dwatson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    MD
    Posts
    384
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Love the color. Can't to see it complete.

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Basye, VA
    My Bikes
    Trek Domane 5 series, Dura Ace 9070, November Rail 52's
    Posts
    1,395
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ditto! I'm considering something similar as well. Looks great and thanks for the tips

  20. #20
    a77impala a77impala's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Western South Dakota
    Posts
    1,249
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Looigi View Post
    Looking at the pix of that Zertz thingie it kinda makes me wonder what or how much it does. I have an older Roubaix where the Zertz elastomer insert extends through holes that pass through the fork legs, seat stays and seat post. Not sure they do much there either.
    I can't believe they do anything with that design. Looks like a gimmick to me, that ridge through the middle would act to stiffen the fork, not absorb anything!
    Treks, 85-420, 87-560, 90-930,92-970, 95-930, 96-1220, LeMonds, 2000 Zurich, 05-Etape, 06-Versailles

  21. #21
    a77impala a77impala's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Western South Dakota
    Posts
    1,249
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by a77impala View Post
    I can't believe they do anything with that design. Looks like a gimmick to me, that ridge through the middle would act to stiffen the fork, not absorb anything!

    Nice project though, I like what the OP is doing.

    I meant to edit my post, not quote myself, sorry! It's Monday!
    Treks, 85-420, 87-560, 90-930,92-970, 95-930, 96-1220, LeMonds, 2000 Zurich, 05-Etape, 06-Versailles

  22. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Texas
    My Bikes
    KOMobile
    Posts
    124
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is it going to be a completely blank bike from a logo standpoint? That would be pretty cool.

  23. #23
    SuperGimp TrojanHorse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Whittier, CA
    My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix
    Posts
    8,037
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by a77impala View Post
    I can't believe they do anything with that design. Looks like a gimmick to me, that ridge through the middle would act to stiffen the fork, not absorb anything!
    Results speak for themselves, I guess. It doesn't seem like it should work but it does, and pretty well.

    Adrian - I don't think you revealed that you are a custom painter when you started talking about this, I'd say that explains part of your interest. Looking good so far!

  24. #24
    Senior Member Ricanfred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Madison, WI
    My Bikes
    Yes, I ride an aluminum Trek!
    Posts
    491
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Subscribed! Awesome project; please keep the pics flowing!!
    2011 Trek 2.3

  25. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Frisco, TX (Dallas)
    My Bikes
    Specialized Allez cromoly, Fisher Paragon 29er
    Posts
    107
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricanfred View Post
    Subscribed! Awesome project; please keep the pics flowing!!

    Dude hurry up!! Just kidding, cant wait.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •