Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-21-14, 07:26 AM   #1
xtrout1
Member
Thread Starter
 
xtrout1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: plainfield, Illinois
Bikes:
Posts: 47
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
garmin edge 1000

Has anyone purchased the new Garmin edge 1000 cycling computer yet? Thoughts?
xtrout1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-14, 07:42 AM   #2
bonz50
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Antioch, IL
Bikes: 2013 Synapse 4
Posts: 2,086
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I don't think they are shipping yet
bonz50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-14, 08:32 AM   #3
Nebby10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Bikes:
Posts: 182
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Definitely hasn't shipped yet. Garmin's own store has a pre-order that says that it "Ships in 2nd quarter"; clevertraining.com has a pre-order that says "Ships early June".
Nebby10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-14, 09:00 AM   #4
raqball
Senior Member
 
raqball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Bikes:
Posts: 693
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My 810 is a buggy pile of junk.. I am going to pass on the 1000.

As soon as the Polar V650 comes out I am going to get it and sell my 810.

Polar V650. The wireless bike computer with GPS | Polar Global
raqball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-14, 09:17 AM   #5
Silvercivic27
Senior Member
 
Silvercivic27's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Bikes: Colnago, Cervelo, Scott
Posts: 2,064
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
I've already got an iPhone, k, thx.
Silvercivic27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-14, 09:49 AM   #6
RJM
I'm doing it wrong.
 
RJM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Bikes:
Posts: 4,558
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by raqball View Post
My 810 is a buggy pile of junk.. I am going to pass on the 1000.

As soon as the Polar V650 comes out I am going to get it and sell my 810.

Polar V650. The wireless bike computer with GPS | Polar Global
What's wrong with it?
RJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-14, 09:52 AM   #7
raqball
Senior Member
 
raqball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Bikes:
Posts: 693
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJM View Post
What's wrong with it?
The software is a mess on it... Garmin apparently has already abandoned it... The official Garmin 810 forums are full of complaints and problems that Garmin just ignores..

Don't think I will ever buy another Garmin..
raqball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-14, 10:01 AM   #8
RJM
I'm doing it wrong.
 
RJM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Bikes:
Posts: 4,558
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by raqball View Post
The software is a mess on it... Garmin apparently has already abandoned it... The official Garmin 810 forums are full of complaints and problems that Garmin just ignores..

Don't think I will ever buy another Garmin..
Good to know...I was thinking of buying one.

My 500 has been working fine so far but was looking for an upgrade.
RJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-14, 10:04 AM   #9
TrojanHorse 
SuperGimp
 
TrojanHorse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Whittier, CA
Bikes: Specialized Roubaix
Posts: 11,237
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJM View Post
Good to know...I was thinking of buying one.

My 500 has been working fine so far but was looking for an upgrade.
Then get an 800 - they're a nice upgrade to the 500 and work well. And cheaper!

I can't figure out what vast improvement the 1000 is supposed to offer to prompt me to get off my wallet. Live challenges... wut? Maybe a bigger screen, which is not exactly the direction I'm looking for a bike computer.

Polar is the king of vaporware, good luck with that one.
__________________
"No self-respecting man rides 70 miles and has salad at a pizza joint!" - PhotoJoe
"I like SoCal a lot better than New Jersey" - RubeRad
TrojanHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-14, 11:02 AM   #10
gregf83 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Vancouver, BC
Bikes:
Posts: 7,389
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse View Post
Then get an 800 - they're a nice upgrade to the 500 and work well. And cheaper!

I can't figure out what vast improvement the 1000 is supposed to offer to prompt me to get off my wallet. Live challenges... wut? Maybe a bigger screen, which is not exactly the direction I'm looking for a bike computer.

Polar is the king of vaporware, good luck with that one.
I would stick with the 500. I have the 800 and it gives you maps which I seldom use and a few more metrics on the display. The display is not great in the sun and that supposedly is one of the key benefits of the new 1000 but at ~$600 it's not worth it to me. I think you're mostly paying for the ability to have your wife send you encouraging messages (ride faster honey) while you're in the middle of a race.
gregf83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-14, 11:19 AM   #11
RJM
I'm doing it wrong.
 
RJM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Bikes:
Posts: 4,558
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Mine would send me messages to pick up a loaf of bread and a sixer of beer while out on a group ride.
RJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-14, 11:30 AM   #12
rangerdavid
Senior Member
 
rangerdavid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Boone, North Carolina
Bikes: 2009 Cannondale CAAD9-6 2014 Trek Domaine 5.9
Posts: 5,093
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
no issues with my 810 at all. I'm keeping it
rangerdavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-14, 12:44 PM   #13
RPK79
Senior Member
 
RPK79's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: SE MN
Bikes: Fuji Roubaix Pro & Fuji Track Classic
Posts: 8,276
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 545 Post(s)
Amazon.com: Garmin Edge 1000: Clothing

Amazon has them "in stock June 15th". I'm surprised there are no reviews yet claiming it the best thing since sliced bread or the worst thing since Null Winds Upper Wheel Fairings.

edit: apparently it is considered clothing on Amazon.
RPK79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-14, 12:48 PM   #14
TrojanHorse 
SuperGimp
 
TrojanHorse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Whittier, CA
Bikes: Specialized Roubaix
Posts: 11,237
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregf83 View Post
I would stick with the 500. I have the 800 and it gives you maps which I seldom use and a few more metrics on the display. The display is not great in the sun and that supposedly is one of the key benefits of the new 1000 but at ~$600 it's not worth it to me. I think you're mostly paying for the ability to have your wife send you encouraging messages (ride faster honey) while you're in the middle of a race.
if you use the routing features, the 800 is a nice upgrade over the 500, and the touch screen is good too. The computer driving the unit is also noticeably faster (to me) which makes it a little more usable than the 500. I don't really have a problem with it in bright sun and it IS nice that the backlight will turn on momentarily when you tap the screen after garmin thinks the sun has gone down. I got my 800 for about $210 during last year's rebate so I'm possibly less critical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJM View Post
Mine would send me messages to pick up a loaf of bread and a sixer of beer while out on a group ride.
__________________
"No self-respecting man rides 70 miles and has salad at a pizza joint!" - PhotoJoe
"I like SoCal a lot better than New Jersey" - RubeRad
TrojanHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-14, 01:00 PM   #15
bonz50
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Antioch, IL
Bikes: 2013 Synapse 4
Posts: 2,086
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse View Post
if you use the routing features, the 800 is a nice upgrade over the 500, and the touch screen is good too. The computer driving the unit is also noticeably faster (to me) which makes it a little more usable than the 500. I don't really have a problem with it in bright sun and it IS nice that the backlight will turn on momentarily when you tap the screen after garmin thinks the sun has gone down. I got my 800 for about $210 during last year's rebate so I'm possibly less critical.
what TrojanHorse said. I had the opportunity to get a 500 or an 800, glad I went 800 considering the price (bought at the same time last year)
bonz50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-14, 01:27 PM   #16
gregf83 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Vancouver, BC
Bikes:
Posts: 7,389
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse View Post
I got my 800 for about $210 during last year's rebate so I'm possibly less critical.
Well that explains it! I paid $220 last year and expected more. Seriously, it's a decent device and I won't be switching to anything else anytime soon. When I said it was hard to read in the sun that was mainly the turn by turn route directions when I was following a route. Could be my eyes also. I don't have any trouble seeing the primary data I have displayed.
gregf83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-14, 01:47 PM   #17
TrojanHorse 
SuperGimp
 
TrojanHorse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Whittier, CA
Bikes: Specialized Roubaix
Posts: 11,237
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregf83 View Post
When I said it was hard to read in the sun that was mainly the turn by turn route directions when I was following a route. Could be my eyes also. I don't have any trouble seeing the primary data I have displayed.
OK, I agree with that. I can't read that map for ***. I know my eyes are lame (cursed reading glasses!) but the map isn't great and the colors are low contrast IMO. The pop up turns are plenty visible though.
__________________
"No self-respecting man rides 70 miles and has salad at a pizza joint!" - PhotoJoe
"I like SoCal a lot better than New Jersey" - RubeRad
TrojanHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-14, 02:03 PM   #18
Bacciagalupe
Professional Fuss-Budget
 
Bacciagalupe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 6,438
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm not having any issues with my 810 (yet).

Garmin hasn't "abandoned" the 810; they put out a new firmware in February. They've never been particularly responsive to forum complaints, across all product lines.
Bacciagalupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-14, 04:51 PM   #19
daven
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Apex, NC
Bikes: Scattante Team (race) , Sette Forza (training), Klein Race Comp MTB
Posts: 76
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Here is my prediction - based on experience with the 500 and 510:

1). the 1000 comes out and a few well-heeled early adopters jump on it
2). Within a week, the Garmin forum lights up with complaints of half-baked features, bugs, and other issues.
3). #2 continues for weeks or months with no official acknowledgement from Garmin
4). A series of firmware updates are released at an agonizingly slow pace. For a while each release fixes one or more issues and breaks something that had been working just fine
5). A year or more after the initial release, a firmware update comes out that manages to deliver on all of the original promised features and doesn't break anything. The hint finally works!
6). The Garmin 1200 is announced with a host of really cool features that the well-heeled early adopters will want to jump on.


I am am staying with my 510 and will not buy another Garmin unit until the entire cycle above is complete.
daven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-14, 06:23 PM   #20
TheSame
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: SF Bay Area
Bikes: Specialized Tarmac / Santa Cruz Blur LTC
Posts: 148
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
looks like DC rainmaker has a review.

First look at the new Garmin Edge 1000 | DC Rainmaker
TheSame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-14, 06:28 PM   #21
longbeachgary
Senior Member
 
longbeachgary's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Beautiful Long Beach California
Bikes: Eddy Merckx Sallanches 64 (2); Eddy Merckx MXL; 2012 CAAD10; 2013 Cannondale CAAD10 DI2, The Black Mambo
Posts: 3,398
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
I waited and waited to get a GPS computer and bought the Garmin Edge 500 this month. I absolutely love it for what I do. To be able to customize the display is just the neatest thing. All of that data on one screen just makes me tingle.....
longbeachgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-14, 06:31 PM   #22
buckwheat987
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: NJ
Bikes: Bianchi Sempre; CAAD 10
Posts: 142
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
sticking with my 500 or even my 200 for less intense rides...(no cadence or HR)
buckwheat987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-14, 07:15 PM   #23
inspclouseau
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Central Florida
Bikes:
Posts: 293
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by daven View Post
Here is my prediction - based on experience with the 500 and 510:

1). the 1000 comes out and a few well-heeled early adopters jump on it
2). Within a week, the Garmin forum lights up with complaints of half-baked features, bugs, and other issues.
3). #2 continues for weeks or months with no official acknowledgement from Garmin
4). A series of firmware updates are released at an agonizingly slow pace. For a while each release fixes one or more issues and breaks something that had been working just fine
5). A year or more after the initial release, a firmware update comes out that manages to deliver on all of the original promised features and doesn't break anything. The hint finally works!
6). The Garmin 1200 is announced with a host of really cool features that the well-heeled early adopters will want to jump on.


I am am staying with my 510 and will not buy another Garmin unit until the entire cycle above is complete.
Yah, this is a product release cycle. Typical of EVERY hardware & software vendor in existence.
inspclouseau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-14, 07:17 PM   #24
gc3 
Falls Downalot
 
gc3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: DC
Bikes: Now I Got Two
Posts: 3,102
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerdavid View Post
no issues with my 810 at all. I'm keeping it
+1

ref the 1000...whatever dcrainmaker says...
__________________
"I tried being reasonable, I didn‘t like it."
"I understand. I just don't care"
"I don't give a f*ck" if they remember me at all" (F. Zappa)
gc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-14, 07:21 PM   #25
thechemist
In the Pain Cave
 
thechemist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Nashville, TN
Bikes:
Posts: 1,669
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
As soon as I find another device for power I'm done with garmin
thechemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:25 AM.