Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-03-14, 05:41 PM   #276
Ramona_W
Casually Deliberate
 
Ramona_W's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Where the deer and the antelope take their business very seriously
Bikes: 1995 Trek 820
Posts: 2,948
Quote:
Originally Posted by gc3 View Post
Don't feel bad, it could be much much worse....you could have the Cubs as your home team...
I started watching that game. Did they lose to the Cardinals?
Ramona_W is offline  
Old 05-03-14, 05:46 PM   #277
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike
 
Heathpack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Los Angeles
Bikes: 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone
Posts: 7,348
Mr. H did not come hiking with us today, our engine has an air leak and he has been troubleshooting that. He met us ashore when we finished our hike and we all made merry at the bar, to the extent that we never even watched the Derby. In the dinghy on the way back, Mr. H says to me, "I have a surprise for you."



I bought him that hammock for Christmas two years ago. It's a special hammock with three attachment points which makes it more stable on a sailboat. The surprise for me is that he found that awning at Costco of all places and he rigged up the awning so that I could take a post-hike nap in the shade. So here I lie:



Very nice, I will say.
Heathpack is offline  
Old 05-03-14, 05:52 PM   #278
RollCNY
Speechless
 
RollCNY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Central NY
Bikes: Felt Brougham, Lotus Prestige, Cinelli Xperience,
Posts: 8,714
So here is the scoop:

102 miles, 4567 ft of climbing, 6:33 riding time. Slow, I know. Head wind the whole time.

Since I couldn't do the full week, I looked for something that would take two days of the weekend, and not kill me with weather. Both days calling for internittent showers, thunderstorms Saturday, and wind from the west on both days: 7-12 Saturday, 18-35 on Sunday. So I headed for Geneseo and ideally Letchworth State Park, the Grand Canyon of NY. I have never seen it.

So I packed everything in my Tangle frame bag, a large seat bag, my Osprey hydration pack, and a 2.5L dry bag under the seat bag. It appears much of what I brought could be described as "dead weight". Left at 6:15, stopped for coffee, and was off like a herd of turtles.

I did not have a cue sheet. I do not have a GPS. I do not have a smart phone. Navigation was a total frigging nightmare. I have offline open source maps on my tablet, and they blow monkey chunks. I tried to memorize the route, and I knew the roads to take, but I had no mile markers, so I started second guessing my memory, and getting impatient to turn. I never back tracked, but there was a lot of rerouting. I have to fix that before the long trip.

I made the choice to use the fusion rims, and not my hand builts. I mounted an 18t freewheel, so I rode 47x16. I knew there was a ton of hills in the last fifty miles, and a headwind the whole way, so I figured I would go ino easy. The downside is it makes my cruising speed 18-19 mph.

I did the first 20 miles on my normal group ride route, so that was easy, wind was mild, and showers were minimal. By memory, I got to Montezuma National Wildlife preserve. I totally dodged Auburn, which is a pain to ride through, so I was pleased. I used backroads, even though "NY Bike Route 5" runs parallel. Montezuma is essentially a giant swamp, with birds in it. I have pics, if I can figure them out.

From there, I got to Geneva easily, but had to use Rt 20, which is where glass bottles go to die. I don't think I have dodged that much glass in my life. I was able to Dodge all of Geneva as well, and found a road that was a straight level shot to Canandaigua. There, I went out of my way to the lake, and watched a slew of sailboats out woking in the wind. I don't know if it was a group of Lazers, as they were to far away to see. I have a bad shot of that too.

Oh, i forgot! I stopped in Senecaf Falls and got some Women's Rights photos, to show support [MENTION=193942]truckstop[/MENTION], [MENTION=351576]Heathpack[/MENTION], and Miss Ramona. While I was there, I saw my former boss, who retired two years ago. He lives that way, was headed to the bank, and the timing intersected. Small world.

Anyway, after Canandaigua, things kindof went to crap. I kept picking the wrong roads,stopping and planning a new route, and missing turns again. The wind picked up, the showers got closer together, andit got a titch colder. And the flats ended. I learned that street names with "Hill Rd" in them include hills. I was cutting across the valleys at this point, going down and up, and down and up. I was slow, and had several back to back 30 rpm climbs.

But I got on a straight line route that looked like it was going to work. And then it turned to a dirt road. And presented a steep hill. I was standing to climb it, and struggling to maintain rear wheel traction. On the rained on dirt road. So I chickened out and walked it. But the route worked out, and plopped me back where I wanted to be.

At mile 90, I hit the town of Livonia. In my head, I thought I still had to pass Honeyoye Falls, which is a narrow and brutally steep valley, and I didn't have a lot of leg left. So I stop at a convenience store, and ask the guy there how far to Honeyoye. He tells me ten minutes, but points back the way I came. Apparently, my dirt road passed by that little stretch of horro, and the hill I walked was the northern side of the same valley. So 12 miles later, and I am at the Quality Inn.

I have to make a decision in the morning. Go 30 mileround trip to see the gorge. This is roughly 2000 feet of climbing in 15 miles. Then ride home after. Or just ride home.

tldr: I rode my bike and had swordfish for dinner.
RollCNY is offline  
Old 05-03-14, 05:53 PM   #279
BillyD
Super Moderator
Thread Starter
 
BillyD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hudson Valley, NY
Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92
Posts: 17,074
Sweet!
__________________
See, this is why we can't have nice things. - - smarkinson
Where else but the internet can a bunch of cyclists go and be the tough guy? - - jdon
Titanium Division
BillyD is offline  
Old 05-03-14, 05:56 PM   #280
Herbie53
Senior Member
 
Herbie53's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Texas
Bikes:
Posts: 7,062
I'm sure there is a good reason I sold all of my sailboats and just race bicycles for fun now.
Herbie53 is offline  
Old 05-03-14, 06:00 PM   #281
Rowan
Has opinion, will express
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Bikes:
Posts: 14,566
Quote:
Originally Posted by RollCNY View Post
So here is the scoop:

102 miles, 4567 ft of climbing, 6:33 riding time. Slow, I know. Head wind the whole time.

Since I couldn't do the full week, I looked for something that would take two days of the weekend, and not kill me with weather. Both days calling for internittent showers, thunderstorms Saturday, and wind from the west on both days: 7-12 Saturday, 18-35 on Sunday. So I headed for Geneseo and ideally Letchworth State Park, the Grand Canyon of NY. I have never seen it.

So I packed everything in my Tangle frame bag, a large seat bag, my Osprey hydration pack, and a 2.5L dry bag under the seat bag. It appears much of what I brought could be described as "dead weight". Left at 6:15, stopped for coffee, and was off like a herd of turtles.

I did not have a cue sheet. I do not have a GPS. I do not have a smart phone. Navigation was a total frigging nightmare. I have offline open source maps on my tablet, and they blow monkey chunks. I tried to memorize the route, and I knew the roads to take, but I had no mile markers, so I started second guessing my memory, and getting impatient to turn. I never back tracked, but there was a lot of rerouting. I have to fix that before the long trip.

I made the choice to use the fusion rims, and not my hand builts. I mounted an 18t freewheel, so I rode 47x16. I knew there was a ton of hills in the last fifty miles, and a headwind the whole way, so I figured I would go ino easy. The downside is it makes my cruising speed 18-19 mph.

I did the first 20 miles on my normal group ride route, so that was easy, wind was mild, and showers were minimal. By memory, I got to Montezuma National Wildlife preserve. I totally dodged Auburn, which is a pain to ride through, so I was pleased. I used backroads, even though "NY Bike Route 5" runs parallel. Montezuma is essentially a giant swamp, with birds in it. I have pics, if I can figure them out.

From there, I got to Geneva easily, but had to use Rt 20, which is where glass bottles go to die. I don't think I have dodged that much glass in my life. I was able to Dodge all of Geneva as well, and found a road that was a straight level shot to Canandaigua. There, I went out of my way to the lake, and watched a slew of sailboats out woking in the wind. I don't know if it was a group of Lazers, as they were to far away to see. I have a bad shot of that too.

Oh, i forgot! I stopped in Senecaf Falls and got some Women's Rights photos, to show support @truckstop, @Heathpack, and Miss Ramona. While I was there, I saw my former boss, who retired two years ago. He lives that way, was headed to the bank, and the timing intersected. Small world.

Anyway, after Canandaigua, things kindof went to crap. I kept picking the wrong roads,stopping and planning a new route, and missing turns again. The wind picked up, the showers got closer together, andit got a titch colder. And the flats ended. I learned that street names with "Hill Rd" in them include hills. I was cutting across the valleys at this point, going down and up, and down and up. I was slow, and had several back to back 30 rpm climbs.

But I got on a straight line route that looked like it was going to work. And then it turned to a dirt road. And presented a steep hill. I was standing to climb it, and struggling to maintain rear wheel traction. On the rained on dirt road. So I chickened out and walked it. But the route worked out, and plopped me back where I wanted to be.

At mile 90, I hit the town of Livonia. In my head, I thought I still had to pass Honeyoye Falls, which is a narrow and brutally steep valley, and I didn't have a lot of leg left. So I stop at a convenience store, and ask the guy there how far to Honeyoye. He tells me ten minutes, but points back the way I came. Apparently, my dirt road passed by that little stretch of horro, and the hill I walked was the northern side of the same valley. So 12 miles later, and I am at the Quality Inn.

I have to make a decision in the morning. Go 30 mileround trip to see the gorge. This is roughly 2000 feet of climbing in 15 miles. Then ride home after. Or just ride home.

tldr: I rode my bike and had swordfish for dinner.
Roads named Mt Pleasant aren't all that pleasant on a bicycle. And every town in Australia seems to have one.

Go to the gorge. (a) it must be worth seeing and (b) you will talk most about the climbing challenge.

See, hills and trying to get up them and succeeding or not make a trip report more interesting (not that your trip report wasn't interesting apart from the hills).

And not fast with a 6:33 ride-time century? On a single-speed? In hills? You undersell yourself.
Rowan is offline  
Old 05-03-14, 06:02 PM   #282
BillyD
Super Moderator
Thread Starter
 
BillyD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hudson Valley, NY
Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92
Posts: 17,074
@Roll, I'm glad you reminded me of Montezuma, I've been meaning to get there for a couple of years. Maybe this week.

Gotta check out that Letchworth S. Park too, never heard of that one.




@HP, that hammock setup looks sweet, too!
__________________
See, this is why we can't have nice things. - - smarkinson
Where else but the internet can a bunch of cyclists go and be the tough guy? - - jdon
Titanium Division
BillyD is offline  
Old 05-03-14, 06:03 PM   #283
Rowan
Has opinion, will express
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Bikes:
Posts: 14,566
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbie53 View Post
I'm sure there is a good reason I sold all of my sailboats and just race bicycles for fun now.
For all the fun I've had sailing, I've never actually owned a sail boat. There were two dinghy yachts in the family when I was a kid, but that was it.

Much better to crew, in my opinion.
Rowan is offline  
Old 05-03-14, 06:15 PM   #284
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike
 
Heathpack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Los Angeles
Bikes: 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone
Posts: 7,348
[MENTION=236201]RollCNY[/MENTION], awesome.

1. Yes, you must go to the gorge in the morning.

2. No, you were not slow. You had a headwind. And anyway, it's not about the speed.

3. Can't wait to see the pics.

Well done!

H
Heathpack is offline  
Old 05-03-14, 06:17 PM   #285
gc3 
Falls Downalot
 
gc3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: DC
Bikes: Now I Got Two
Posts: 3,102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbie53 View Post
a gently rolling swamp?

IME it's more flatter east and south, with more gravity to the north and west (generally). Where were you riding?
All true. I live in Columbia Heights. Was coming up out of Beach Drive across 16th by Military Rd then up to 14th.
__________________
"I tried being reasonable, I didn‘t like it."
"I understand. I just don't care"
"I don't give a f*ck" if they remember me at all" (F. Zappa)
gc3 is offline  
Old 05-03-14, 06:26 PM   #286
halfspeed
Senior Member
 
halfspeed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: SE Minnesota
Bikes: are better than yours.
Posts: 12,276
This one is about to get good: Broken DA 9000 cables?
__________________
Telemachus has, indeed, sneezed.
halfspeed is offline  
Old 05-03-14, 06:42 PM   #287
ls01
he said member
 
ls01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: location, location!
Bikes: are smarter than your bikes
Posts: 7,918
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbie53 View Post
I'm sure there is a good reason I sold all of my sailboats and just race bicycles for fun now.
There were.
ls01 is offline  
Old 05-03-14, 06:43 PM   #288
RollCNY
Speechless
 
RollCNY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Central NY
Bikes: Felt Brougham, Lotus Prestige, Cinelli Xperience,
Posts: 8,714
Talked to the wife, and she doesn't care if I end up adding a day, so it sounds like I go for the gorge. Provided legs work in the morning, of course.
RollCNY is offline  
Old 05-03-14, 06:57 PM   #289
3alarmer
Can'tre Member
 
3alarmer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: The Big Tomato
Bikes: old ones
Posts: 13,655
Quote:
Originally Posted by coasting View Post
I was once invited by a sailing friend to be a member of crew on his boat. He said they needed someone to serve the drinks.
...he was too polite to tell you they needed more in the way of ballast.
3alarmer is offline  
Old 05-03-14, 06:58 PM   #290
ls01
he said member
 
ls01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: location, location!
Bikes: are smarter than your bikes
Posts: 7,918
My dad had a lump in his cheak. The dr. removed the lump last week. The lab says it is cancer. He is scheduled to have his salivary gland removed and exploritory/ reconstruction for the 12th. I can't write about it any more than that. He isnt in any danger from the cancer, so thet say,just his other health problems.
ls01 is offline  
Old 05-03-14, 06:59 PM   #291
WhyFi
Senior Member
 
WhyFi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Got a castle in - er, Minneapolis, that's where I dwell!
Bikes: 2009 Jamis Xenith
Posts: 12,865
Weird - if I'm surfing addiction on my phone, Pharrel's "Happy" video will show up (usually in the first post of the page) and start playing. It's not an ad or anything, either - just the video... weird.
WhyFi is offline  
Old 05-03-14, 07:01 PM   #292
WhyFi
Senior Member
 
WhyFi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Got a castle in - er, Minneapolis, that's where I dwell!
Bikes: 2009 Jamis Xenith
Posts: 12,865
Ugh, sorry to hear, ls01. Best wishes.
WhyFi is offline  
Old 05-03-14, 07:04 PM   #293
3alarmer
Can'tre Member
 
3alarmer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: The Big Tomato
Bikes: old ones
Posts: 13,655
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramona_W View Post
Dude. This is Ayn Rand territory. Is that arch made of Rearden metal?
...like Auschwitz, Modesto ought to be visited at least once by everyone. It's not American Graffiti any more, Toto.
3alarmer is offline  
Old 05-03-14, 07:06 PM   #294
RollCNY
Speechless
 
RollCNY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Central NY
Bikes: Felt Brougham, Lotus Prestige, Cinelli Xperience,
Posts: 8,714
Quote:
Originally Posted by ls01 View Post
My dad had a lump in his cheak. The dr. removed the lump last week. The lab says it is cancer. He is scheduled to have his salivary gland removed and exploritory/ reconstruction for the 12th. I can't write about it any more than that. He isnt in any danger from the cancer, so thet say,just his other health problems.
Sorry to hear,and best of luck.
RollCNY is offline  
Old 05-03-14, 07:08 PM   #295
3alarmer
Can'tre Member
 
3alarmer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: The Big Tomato
Bikes: old ones
Posts: 13,655
Quote:
Originally Posted by surgeonstone View Post
I was out there once. Went into some fancy coffee place. Every single person was drop dead beautiful.
...You're right, it's hard to be beautiful and hang with these people if you're from somewhere else.



Here's me with one of the local celebrities. I know I'm stylin', but how can I hope to compare with the likes of her ?
3alarmer is offline  
Old 05-03-14, 07:15 PM   #296
halfspeed
Senior Member
 
halfspeed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: SE Minnesota
Bikes: are better than yours.
Posts: 12,276
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyFi View Post
Weird - if I'm surfing addiction on my phone, Pharrel's "Happy" video will show up (usually in the first post of the page) and start playing. It's not an ad or anything, either - just the video... weird.
You have a Windows phone, right? That's a feature.
__________________
Telemachus has, indeed, sneezed.
halfspeed is offline  
Old 05-03-14, 07:16 PM   #297
BillyD
Super Moderator
Thread Starter
 
BillyD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hudson Valley, NY
Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92
Posts: 17,074
Best wishes for your dad, ls01.
__________________
See, this is why we can't have nice things. - - smarkinson
Where else but the internet can a bunch of cyclists go and be the tough guy? - - jdon
Titanium Division
BillyD is offline  
Old 05-03-14, 07:22 PM   #298
Dudelsack 
A might bewildered...
 
Dudelsack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Loovul
Bikes: Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires
Posts: 6,345
Well, everyone in Loovul knows Jennifer Lawrence. Except me. And my daughters were her camp counselors. Even by local standards I'm pitiful.

And Johnny Depp*, Tom Cruise, Hunter Thompson, and whatshername Scherzer? All from Loovul.

It was a good Derby. A win by the favorite is rare here, but Chrome had a clean ride and looked good.

I had a restaurant owner over for dinner and tried ribs again. This time, perfecto. It was the tastiest thing I've ever cooked, which must imply something about my gender preference, NTTAWWT.

My flank is killing me, so I popped an opioid of choice, which means I better stop posting lest I say something even dumber than my normal output.


*oops, my bad. Depp was from Owensboro. Close enough.
__________________
Signature line for rent.

Last edited by Dudelsack; 05-03-14 at 07:26 PM.
Dudelsack is offline  
Old 05-03-14, 07:26 PM   #299
3alarmer
Can'tre Member
 
3alarmer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: The Big Tomato
Bikes: old ones
Posts: 13,655
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudelsack View Post

My flank is killing me, so I popped an opioid of choice, which means I better stop posting
lest I say something even dumber than my normal output.
...lots of great writers were addicted to opiates. Maybe you could turn out an abbreviated version of "The Telltale Heart."
3alarmer is offline  
Old 05-03-14, 07:27 PM   #300
3alarmer
Can'tre Member
 
3alarmer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: The Big Tomato
Bikes: old ones
Posts: 13,655
Quote:
Originally Posted by ls01 View Post
My dad had a lump in his cheak. The dr. removed the lump last week. The lab says it is cancer. He is scheduled to have his salivary gland removed and exploritory/ reconstruction for the 12th. I can't write about it any more than that. He isnt in any danger from the cancer, so thet say,just his other health problems.
...bummer to watch someone you love get cancer. Stay strong.
3alarmer is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:47 AM.