Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-17-14, 10:26 PM   #51
Drew Eckhardt
Senior Member
 
Drew Eckhardt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Sunnyvale, CA USA
Bikes:
Posts: 5,186
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by spdoran View Post
I'm not above buying a Rapha jersey if it means highest quality. I need something that I won't have to buy a new jersey for a while, which means I will need to be happy with my buy. So, what's the best one to buy? Preferably something to keep cool in the Mississippi summer.
Jerseys aren't too different once you get past long vs short sleeve, long vs short zipper, and race or club cut.

Size tags which survive many washings are significant too so buying more of the same brand doesn't require visiting a fitting room.

I'm fond of my favorite beer, 1997-1999 Campagnolo Record titanium derailleur, and Litespeed head badge jerseys. I also think I need Rush Fly by Night and 2112 jerseys.



For unpleasantly warm situations I recommend something that's mostly white to reflect sunlight.

(Shiny silver would be cooler if that was possible on a breathable jersey fabric)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg arrogant_bastard.jpg (103.9 KB, 10 views)

Last edited by Drew Eckhardt; 05-17-14 at 10:30 PM.
Drew Eckhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-14, 10:28 PM   #52
lsberrios1 
Senior Member
 
lsberrios1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Atlanta GA
Bikes: '13 Spech Roubaix SL4 Expert
Posts: 2,502
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gc3 View Post
Shirtless in the southern summer... is the only way to go
Agreed. I think my six pack says more than any jersey could.
__________________
Cat 6 going on PRO....
lsberrios1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-14, 10:34 PM   #53
lsberrios1 
Senior Member
 
lsberrios1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Atlanta GA
Bikes: '13 Spech Roubaix SL4 Expert
Posts: 2,502
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce19 View Post
Hey...get back on ducati.ms where you belong.
ever since they stopped taking me seriously i had to find other grounds to be cool! Turns out it had to be a place where shaving your legs is a status quo. between you and me, i still ride motorized two wheel contaptions. I'm just a little bit slower, a little bit skinnier and a little less drunk
__________________
Cat 6 going on PRO....
lsberrios1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-14, 11:02 PM   #54
CuriousGeorge
Junior Member
 
CuriousGeorge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Los Angeles
Bikes: Soma Smoothie ES
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Buy Voler!!
Made in the USA, nice fitting, great material
Once my current shorts disintegrate I will buy the matching bibs for my jersey
Great Customer service and sent me 2 tootsie rolls with my order
So good
CuriousGeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-14, 01:50 AM   #55
bruce19
Senior Member
 
bruce19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Lebanon (Liberty Hill), CT
Bikes: MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel
Posts: 4,574
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsberrios1 View Post
ever since they stopped taking me seriously i had to find other grounds to be cool! Turns out it had to be a place where shaving your legs is a status quo. between you and me, i still ride motorized two wheel contaptions. I'm just a little bit slower, a little bit skinnier and a little less drunk
I've got a whole story about this year's ECM in Fontana but I won't bore you with it. I find I am having more fun and getting more out of cycling. Last July I crashed on my Masi during a group ride and ended up having C1 & C2 fused. It was painful and I was laid up for months but back on the bike by Nov. And, this year I am better than ever on the bike. Just bought a Guru steel and have decided life is too short not to have great stuff like Assos gear. Just a change of perspective after a near death experience.
bruce19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-14, 05:05 AM   #56
clausen
Senior Member
 
clausen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Northern Ontario
Bikes: Colnago Master XL, Bianchi Via Nirone 7, Marinoni Fango
Posts: 3,659
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Eckhardt View Post
Jerseys aren't too different once you get past long vs short sleeve, long vs short zipper, and race or club cut.
This is just plain wrong. The material used, combination of materials used, different cuts and pocket layout of each brand make huge differences in a jersey comfort and performance. A short sleeve jersey that is great in hot conditions, won't be the best choice in temperatures just above when you would take arm warmers off. Pocket layout vary from great to non functional as in too small or stuff falls out.
clausen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-14, 07:11 AM   #57
kvnrvn
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Bikes:
Posts: 50
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuriousGeorge View Post
Buy Voler!!
Made in the USA, nice fitting, great material
Once my current shorts disintegrate I will buy the matching bibs for my jersey
Great Customer service and sent me 2 tootsie rolls with my order
So good
I second this. I have 3 or 4. All really high quality and American made. Price is reasonable too.
kvnrvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-14, 09:00 AM   #58
spdoran
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Bikes:
Posts: 46
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So, I got lucky and got the new Castelli Aero Race 5.0 as a graduation gift. It has a bazillion different materials and fits perfect everywhere except right at the peak of my bicep on the right arm (no low rep curls for a while). The jersey is great, but I can't answer my own question because it is the only decent one I own. I will say it is amazing though. Don't think I would shell out my own money on it at the same time.
spdoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-14, 09:04 AM   #59
Canadian_giant
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Montreal, QC. Canada
Bikes: 1995 Giant Yukon, 2012 Giant TCR Comp 1, 2014 Giant Anyroad
Posts: 190
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Bibs, no jersey. The only way to ride
Canadian_giant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-14, 09:15 AM   #60
just dank
Cult Classic Cycling Club
 
just dank's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Hamilton, ON
Bikes: 3
Posts: 683
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sale racks have tons
just dank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-14, 09:31 AM   #61
rpenmanparker 
Senior Member
 
rpenmanparker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Houston, TX
Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build
Posts: 21,613
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1555 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by clausen View Post
This is just plain wrong. The material used, combination of materials used, different cuts and pocket layout of each brand make huge differences in a jersey comfort and performance. A short sleeve jersey that is great in hot conditions, won't be the best choice in temperatures just above when you would take arm warmers off. Pocket layout vary from great to non functional as in too small or stuff falls out.
Hey, I know you are adamant about how important are the differences among jerseys, and how one has to buy way up the line to have a satisfactory product, and that's fine. We all have our opinions, and I, for one, am in no position to say you are wrong WITH REGARD TO YOUR OWN NEEDS. I think you can see, however, that a great many folks disagree. As evidenced in this thread, many believe that once you get a technical wicking fabric of one kind or another, a decorative print design you can live with, and one or more brands that offer a size that works for you (which for many folks is just about every brand), it isn't necessary to look any further. And since so many jerseys that fit that description are available heavily discounted at both the LBS and online, spending over $100 for one just isn't necessary. If you can only be fit or otherwise satisfied by the crème-de-la-crème, so be it. I for one have owned some of the best and many of the better and just don't see the value in them compared to close out goods with the necessary fundamental properties I listed above. From what I can see, lot's of folks share this opinion.

I should also mention that I have never encountered a jersey at any price point on which the back pockets were so badly designed or executed that I had to give it any thought at all.
__________________
Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAJ View Post
No matter where I go, here I am...
rpenmanparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-14, 10:01 AM   #62
Lanterne Rogue
Senior Member
 
Lanterne Rogue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 205
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Merino wool has been great for me, especially on tours when you have to go days without a washing. Merino jerseys don't itch and they don't stink, even after repeated wearings. (And I sweat a lot.) Just did a four-day southern Utah trip with temps in 80s, and the jerseys never felt hot, which is weird, because the jerseys look like sweaters. You can get them on clearance for as little as $50 at this place (my only connnection is that I am a happy customer): Portland Cyclewear - highest quality & best prices on merino wool cycling jerseys
Lanterne Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-14, 10:19 AM   #63
rpenmanparker 
Senior Member
 
rpenmanparker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Houston, TX
Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build
Posts: 21,613
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1555 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanterne Rogue View Post
Merino wool has been great for me, especially on tours when you have to go days without a washing. Merino jerseys don't itch and they don't stink, even after repeated wearings. (And I sweat a lot.) Just did a four-day southern Utah trip with temps in 80s, and the jerseys never felt hot, which is weird, because the jerseys look like sweaters. You can get them on clearance for as little as $50 at this place (my only connnection is that I am a happy customer): Portland Cyclewear - highest quality & best prices on merino wool cycling jerseys
At first when I wrote "once you get a technical wicking fabric" above, I was tempted to include the limiting adjective "synthetic" but then didn't on purpose. As far as I am concerned, Merino wool is indeed just that kind of material.
__________________
Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAJ View Post
No matter where I go, here I am...
rpenmanparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-14, 11:32 AM   #64
Slackerprince
Redefining Lazy
 
Slackerprince's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Tampa via PDX, Summers on LV-426
Bikes: 2013 Cannondale Synapse 5 105, 2013 Giant Escape 3
Posts: 1,907
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
This is a good deal:

Garmin-Sharp Team Cycling Jersey by Castelli

Don't know if you're into the team thing, but I bought a couple of
team jerseys from them, made by Santini, and they've lasted me
many years.
I always wash my kit in Woolite for Darks and hang them to dry.

S
Slackerprince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-14, 12:39 PM   #65
snidely 
Senior Member
 
snidely's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Bikes:
Posts: 378
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Assos. I never understood their pricing, until I bought one. I still will never pay full price, but when they are half off I am happy to pay that for the quality.

I have many other quality brands and styles, but none compare to the material and fit of the three Assos jerseys that I have.

My wife has just bought a couple of Assos pieces, and she agrees.

For the record, I do consider them an absolute luxury and not a necessity to enjoy cycling. To each their own.
snidely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-14, 05:52 PM   #66
spdoran
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Bikes:
Posts: 46
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My personal view (and this will get shot down) is that if I am going to spend $100 on just about any jersey new, then I might as well spend $120-$140 on a top of the line jersey on sale. if anyone has questions about the differences between a $30 jersey and $100 jersey I can go n for hours about why too cheap is truly too cheap at some point. I'm going to continue the search for the perfect point on the curve between quality and price. I might try to find something with an antimicrobial lining so it really never stinks. I have a Dakine fleece jacket with the lining for mountain biking and no amount of sweat will ever make it stink.

It is good to know that some team jerseys are less expensive because the $210 price tag on the Team Sky Rapha jersey is a little ridiculous. The garmin sharp jersey looks pretty slick and all of my castelli gear is top notch. Another castelli I'm interested in is the scratch labs climbers jersey.
spdoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-14, 06:12 PM   #67
rpenmanparker 
Senior Member
 
rpenmanparker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Houston, TX
Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build
Posts: 21,613
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1555 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by snidely View Post
Assos. I never understood their pricing, until I bought one. I still will never pay full price, but when they are half off I am happy to pay that for the quality.

I have many other quality brands and styles, but none compare to the material and fit of the three Assos jerseys that I have.

My wife has just bought a couple of Assos pieces, and she agrees.

For the record, I do consider them an absolute luxury and not a necessity to enjoy cycling. To each their own.
Somebody please explain to me how price relates to fit. If everybody is shaped differently, how can there be any concensus about which brand fits best? So how can there be any correlation between good fit and high price if only a fraction of the customer base will agree that the fit is good?
__________________
Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAJ View Post
No matter where I go, here I am...
rpenmanparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-14, 06:38 PM   #68
snidely 
Senior Member
 
snidely's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Bikes:
Posts: 378
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpenmanparker View Post
Somebody please explain to me how price relates to fit. If everybody is shaped differently, how can there be any concensus about which brand fits best? So how can there be any correlation between good fit and high price if only a fraction of the customer base will agree that the fit is good?
Sorry, let me clarify:

On MY body, the Assos material and style fits ME the best, in MY opinion. MY other jerseys tend to gather in places that can bother ME. MY Assos jerseys do not do this. Therefore it is MY opinion that MY Assos jerseys fit ME better than MY others, which equals better quality to ME.

If YOU want to see if it fits YOU well, then spend YOUR money to get YOUR own opinion. This is just MY opinion.

Jeeebus, is this the old Hot R' Not thread?
snidely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-14, 07:26 PM   #69
spdoran
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Bikes:
Posts: 46
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Nicer materials will tend to fit better on a broader range of builds because they will be designed to stretch more and form to skin better.
spdoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-14, 07:26 PM   #70
rpenmanparker 
Senior Member
 
rpenmanparker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Houston, TX
Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build
Posts: 21,613
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1555 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by snidely View Post
Sorry, let me clarify:

On MY body, the Assos material and style fits ME the best, in MY opinion. MY other jerseys tend to gather in places that can bother ME. MY Assos jerseys do not do this. Therefore it is MY opinion that MY Assos jerseys fit ME better than MY others, which equals better quality to ME.

If YOU want to see if it fits YOU well, then spend YOUR money to get YOUR own opinion. This is just MY opinion.

Jeeebus, is this the old Hot R' Not thread?
No, your explanation is completely sensible. That's exactly my point. If you want a good fit, you try on jerseys, you don't check to see if they are expensive enough.
__________________
Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAJ View Post
No matter where I go, here I am...
rpenmanparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:34 PM.