Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    61
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Best Helmet Under 100?

    Hello guys,

    I know amazon and ebay will always be cheaper but buying a helmet is my utmost important thing to check off.

    Tomorrow I will be going down to my local shop to pick up a helmet. Instead of looking like a kid in a candy store, I was hoping my unbiased peer could help me pick out a helmet.

    Find Adult Bike Helmets: The Best Bike Helmets From Performance Bike

    I know I can always google but again, I feel like some reviewers become swayed by the free items they receive. From the list from the link above, which do you guys recommend that is in the 50-100 bracket.

    Not to sound ignorant but are the helmets in the 150 range really 50-80 dollars better?

  2. #2
    Senior Member halfspeed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    SE Minnesota
    My Bikes
    are better than yours.
    Posts
    10,829
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by isuckatbiking View Post
    Hello guys,

    I know amazon and ebay will always be cheaper but buying a helmet is my utmost important thing to check off.

    Tomorrow I will be going down to my local shop to pick up a helmet. Instead of looking like a kid in a candy store, I was hoping my unbiased peer could help me pick out a helmet.

    Find Adult Bike Helmets: The Best Bike Helmets From Performance Bike

    I know I can always google but again, I feel like some reviewers become swayed by the free items they receive. From the list from the link above, which do you guys recommend that is in the 50-100 bracket.

    Not to sound ignorant but are the helmets in the 150 range really 50-80 dollars better?
    The best one is the one that fits you best. More expensive helmets may look better and ventilate better. All helmets must meet the same minimum safety standards, but there's no way to tell which ones exceed that standard or by how much.
    Telemachus has, indeed, sneezed.

  3. #3
    Senior Member megalowmatt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    North County San Diego
    Posts
    1,546
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought the Bell Alchera helmet in that link a couple
    weeks ago. It fits well and is much better ventilated than my Bell Citi helmet I've used for the past 5 years. And it's white vs black.

  4. #4
    Portland Fred banerjek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    My Bikes
    Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid
    Posts
    10,486
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also like the Alchera. Cheap helmets can protect you just fine, but the ventilation is often hopeless and some are hard to adjust.

    The Alchera is a well balanced choice that can be had for a decent price.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Clarksville, TN
    My Bikes
    Cannondale SuperSix
    Posts
    11
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm a big fan of Giro when it comes to helmets. From their $40 line to the $90 Savant. My recommendation is, if you can, get a cheap helmet for now and wait till January-March to catch 2014 models on sale. A few months ago I saw several Atmos on sale for around $70, but I am happy with my current helmet. As other have said, the more you spend the better ventilation and lighter the helmet becomes.

  6. #6
    Senior Member MagicHour's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    254
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like my Alchera too, a lot of helmet for $40 or so; if I ever am in the market for a new helmet I may try one of Bells higher end models, just to try something new. I just bought my girlfriend a Giro Sonnet (ladies model) they make nice helmets too.

    Quote Originally Posted by banerjek View Post
    I also like the Alchera. Cheap helmets can protect you just fine, but the ventilation is often hopeless and some are hard to adjust.

    The Alchera is a well balanced choice that can be had for a decent price.

  7. #7
    Senior Member floridamtb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    My Bikes
    Trek Madone 4.5, Trek Mountain Bike
    Posts
    257
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last year when I was looking for a new helmet I tried on a lower end Specialized Propero, it fit nice, very comfortable and the Specialized's have a great little grill like vent system in the front. Now when I say I can really judge ventilation I mean it, first of all I shave my head so I can really feel the air flow and I live in steamy South Florida. So after trying on the Propero the sales guy hands me another helmet and says try this. I tried it on and since it felt better and more comfortable than the Propero I thought for sure it was the next model up and was a lot more $. I was wrong, it was the middle tier Echelon for about $79 I believe it was. It had better padding and again it has great ventilation. The only thing I will say negative about the Spesh's is the shell seems to look larger than other brands.
    Kevin S

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    6,241
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Costco has some Bell road helmets for about $25 right now in Houston. 21 vents and the "dial" retention system in the back. To me they look like $150 helmets. Just sayin'.
    Robert

    "Wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then." (Bob Seger, "Against the Wind")

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Haunchyville
    Posts
    5,899
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can usually find Lazer O2s for under $100 and I find them to be much better vented than the Bells I have tried.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    61
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ended up going with a Performance brand Scorpione. Usually I don't go for products that are so expensive when its a store brand but the helmet looked and fit the best on me, oddly enough.

  11. #11
    Senior Member busygizmo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    263
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by alwaysonjohn View Post
    I'm a big fan of Giro when it comes to helmets. From their $40 line to the $90 Savant. My recommendation is, if you can, get a cheap helmet for now and wait till January-March to catch 2014 models on sale. A few months ago I saw several Atmos on sale for around $70, but I am happy with my current helmet. As other have said, the more you spend the better ventilation and lighter the helmet becomes.
    Always wanted a Giro helmt but they never fit quite right but then tried the Atmos and loved it. Bought a previous year's model for well under $100. Best helmet I've ever had, light and well ventilated.

    Like several people have said go try some on and find one that fits, that is the most important thing.

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Northern N.J.
    Posts
    1,777
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by busygizmo View Post
    Always wanted a Giro helmt but they never fit quite right but then tried the Atmos and loved it. Bought a previous year's model for well under $100. Best helmet I've ever had, light and well ventilated.

    Like several people have said go try some on and find one that fits, that is the most important thing.
    I agree, Giro usually is too round for my oval head, but the Atmos works for me too! Leaves a dent in my forehead though - I may search for a different helmet because of it.
    '10 CAAD9
    '02 De Rosa Planet - for sale
    '77 Cinelli SC
    '79 Paris Sport (Dave Moulton) under construction
    '10 Diamondback Sorrento

  13. #13
    Banned.
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    523
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad you found a nice helmet! $60 is a bit higher than I would expect from performance/nashbar brand, I will admit. Perhaps it's got some high end features?

    Performance needs to fire the marketing guy in charge of product names. Scattante? Scorpione? The faux italian names are just ridiculous.

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Haunchyville
    Posts
    5,899
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by roadandmountain View Post

    Performance needs to fire the marketing guy in charge of product names. Scattante? Scorpione? The faux italian names are just ridiculous.
    I guess names just aren't their forte.

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    61
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Update. Returned the PB brand helmet and went with a Giro Savant. Just fit better overall.

    Side question. I have a Fuji Pro SL1 SE. Colors are mostly white, has some black and red as well. The only available color was red/black/white for the savant. Do you guys find it to be a bit cheesy to wear a matching helmet?

    I wanted all black but it was sold out until the 28th. Thoughts? Also, would the red/black/white get less hot than the all black because it has portions of white on it or is the white so minimal, it wouldn't really matter when it comes to absorbing heat.

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Glendale, CA
    My Bikes
    2010 Cannondale CAAD9, 1989 Centurion Ironman Master Dave Scott
    Posts
    2,227
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by isuckatbiking View Post
    Update. Returned the PB brand helmet and went with a Giro Savant. Just fit better overall.

    Side question. I have a Fuji Pro SL1 SE. Colors are mostly white, has some black and red as well. The only available color was red/black/white for the savant. Do you guys find it to be a bit cheesy to wear a matching helmet?

    I wanted all black but it was sold out until the 28th. Thoughts? Also, would the red/black/white get less hot than the all black because it has portions of white on it or is the white so minimal, it wouldn't really matter when it comes to absorbing heat.
    I think most people strive to have everything match the bike from helmet to jersey and shorts and shoes and bottle cage etc
    http://www.pedalroom.com/members/rms13

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •