Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (http://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycling/)
-   -   Giant TCR 1 road frame (http://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycling/947394-giant-tcr-1-road-frame.html)

calgarc 05-10-14 12:20 PM

Giant TCR 1 Build
 
Hey, new here. been lurking around for years, i finally made an account lol.

Anyway, i recently snagged a Giant TCR-1 frame (2008) with no fork for 35 bucks. The frame is missing a race on the steerer tube. I will find out tomorrow exactly whats missing.

what do you guys know about these frames? I do know that giant generally makes great bikes.

rpenmanparker 05-11-14 10:31 AM

If there is no fork, there is no steerer tube. Do you mean head tube? And what do you mean "missing a race"? Did the frame come with a part of a headset installed? Don't worry about that, you will likely want a complete new one anyway. Barring any crash problems, it should be quite good.

dtrain 05-11-14 10:40 AM

Pretty darn good headsets (like a CC Forty) are available cheap.

calgarc 05-11-14 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rpenmanparker (Post 16748271)
If there is no fork, there is no steerer tube. Do you mean head tube? And what do you mean "missing a race"? Did the frame come with a part of a headset installed? Don't worry about that, you will likely want a complete new one anyway. Barring any crash problems, it should be quite good.

lol sorry, i was going of what the guy told me on the phone. the frame is missing the top fork sleeve on the headtube lol. eitherway a super nice frame. weighs just over 2lb

have the frame now and like it alot.

calgarc 05-11-14 04:47 PM

cc forty was on my list as well as some FSA's

f4rrest 05-11-14 06:22 PM

Is it your size, though?

calgarc 05-11-14 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by f4rrest (Post 16749343)
Is it your size, though?

i baught i because it was my size lol. maybe a touch on the small end, but should fit me nicely once built and setup

calgarc 05-11-14 07:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Looks like the frame was a 2006 model not a 2008 model. here is a picture of the frame

rpenmanparker 05-12-14 05:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by calgarc (Post 16749102)
lol sorry, i was going of what the guy told me on the phone. the frame is missing the top fork sleeve on the headtube lol. eitherway a super nice frame. weighs just over 2lb

have the frame now and like it alot.

That's great. So we have one mystery solved. Still no sure what a top fork sleeve is and where you will get a replacement. Not to be contrary, but I can't see how that frame could weigh just a little over 2 lb (908 g). That is world class carbon territory. Are you sure you don't mean 3 lb? How are you weighing it?

IthaDan 05-12-14 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by calgarc (Post 16749577)
Looks like the frame was a 2006 model not a 2008 model. here is a picture of the frame

Where's your rd hanger? Where do the shift cables go? What size seatpost? Do you have a collar?

Is it aluminum? If it were me, I'd be looking for another guy to sell it to and get your $35 back, because getting this rideable could be a lot more money than you'd think, as well BIG can of worms regarding compatibility.

calgarc 05-12-14 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IthaDan (Post 16750577)
Where's your rd hanger? Where do the shift cables go? What size seatpost? Do you have a collar?

Is it aluminum? If it were me, I'd be looking for another guy to sell it to and get your $35 back, because getting this rideable could be a lot more money than you'd think, as well BIG can of worms regarding compatibility.

i baught it so i can build my own bike... i love building bikes. i've built everything from chopper cruisers to ultegra road bikes :D

IthaDan 05-12-14 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by calgarc (Post 16750835)
i baught it so i can build my own bike... i love building bikes. i've built everything from chopper cruisers to ultegra road bikes :D

That's great, but if you're going to be needing a ton of small parts that will be expensive and difficult to track down, there are a LOT of better foundations out there than this one. For instance, start with a complete frameset- I have a feeling that anything but the oem fork will look pretty goofy with that giant headtube.

E:You sure it's not a 2001?- http://www.bikepedia.com/quickbike/B...nt&model=TCR+1

What I'm getting at is you're going to have a BEAR of a time finding an integrated 1" headset as well as a 1" fork that won't look 10 ways out of place.

E2: the proximity of those slip pivot pliers to the frame makes me wonder about your mechanical skillset as well, but that's a different story all together.

ConGrUenCy 05-12-14 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rpenmanparker (Post 16750339)
That's great. So we have one mystery solved. Still no sure what a top fork sleeve is and where you will get a replacement. Not to be contrary, but I can't see how that frame could weigh just a little over 2 lb (908 g). That is world class carbon territory. Are you sure you don't mean 3 lb? How are you weighing it?

It's without a fork and headset.

calgarc 05-12-14 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IthaDan (Post 16751035)
That's great, but if you're going to be needing a ton of small parts that will be expensive and difficult to track down, there are a LOT of better foundations out there than this one. For instance, start with a complete frameset- I have a feeling that anything but the oem fork will look pretty goofy with that giant headtube.

E:You sure it's not a 2001?- 2001 Giant TCR 1 - BikePedia

What I'm getting at is you're going to have a BEAR of a time finding an integrated 1" headset as well as a 1" fork that won't look 10 ways out of place.

E2: the proximity of those slip pivot pliers to the frame makes me wonder about your mechanical skillset as well, but that's a different story all together.

positive. i checked and measured the fame before i baught it. it takes a 1-1/8 threadless headset. which means ins 2003/5/6 frame, and i have built plenty of bikes over the years. I also get discounts on parts through a friend :D

rpenmanparker 05-12-14 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ConGrUenCy (Post 16751094)
It's without a fork and headset.

Yeah but I have a 2009 TCR Advanced carbon frame without fork and headset that weighs 1200 g. No way the straight TCR weighs ony 900 or a little more. At least I don't think so.

calgarc 05-12-14 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rpenmanparker (Post 16752130)
Yeah but I have a 2009 TCR Advanced carbon frame without fork and headset that weighs 1200 g. No way the straight TCR weighs ony 900 or a little more. At least I don't think so.

it weighs almost 1100 last i checked...

calgarc 05-13-14 01:39 PM

I got it measured a second time at the LBS as well as a matching carbon fork. it is def a 1-1/8 frame and will take an FSA orbit headset :D

dtrain 05-13-14 01:48 PM

Okay - have fun. Pop back in with some pic's when you are done.

calgarc 05-13-14 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dtrain (Post 16755540)
Okay - have fun. Pop back in with some pic's when you are done.

i have progress pics of my franken bike :D

need to figure out what type of lightweight crank to get... preferably something affordable

calgarc 05-14-14 02:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)
so here is what the geometry of the frameset looks like.


The next step is to paint the fork/frame to match. Probably gonna paint it white.

RobertL 05-14-14 10:03 PM

I think it look pretty nice right there. Unless the paint is in poor condition I'd leave it alone.

calgarc 05-14-14 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobertL (Post 16760068)
I think it look pretty nice right there. Unless the paint is in poor condition I'd leave it alone.

it just seems odd to have a fork that does not match... lol the artist side of me has to OCD on that.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:32 AM.