Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (http://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycling/)
-   -   What is your dominant hand and leg? (http://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycling/947523-what-your-dominant-hand-leg.html)

whitemax 05-11-14 10:17 AM

What is your dominant hand and leg?
 
While on the trainer this morning, it occurred to me that I am left handed but I'd say my right leg is the more dominant. I wonder if this is typical to have dominant hand and leg be opposite like that. Others?

raqball 05-11-14 10:20 AM

I am also left handed but right leg dominate..

I always just thought I was weird.. Well I am but.... :p

ConGrUenCy 05-11-14 10:28 AM

Left hand, right leg.

gregf83 05-11-14 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whitemax (Post 16748237)
While on the trainer this morning, it occurred to me that I am left handed but I'd say my right leg is the more dominant. I wonder if this is typical to have dominant hand and leg be opposite like that. Others?

You sound like you're not quite sure which leg is dominant. What leg do you kick a ball with?

whitemax 05-11-14 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregf83 (Post 16748297)
You sound like you're not quite sure which leg is dominant. What leg do you kick a ball with?

Hadn't thought about the kick but left leg for that. If sitting and want to make a quick acceleration, definitely start with the right leg. If standing for a sprint, I reckon I go more with the left. Hmmm

daihard 05-11-14 11:21 AM

I'm left-handed and kick a ball with my left leg.

impulsivegreg 05-11-14 11:31 AM

I'm right handed and my right leg is dominant. Been doing isolated leg training to try to get my left leg close(r) to the strength of my right.

Long Tom 05-11-14 11:33 AM

Right hand, right leg (for kicking) BUT a right hip injury in the late 80's has led to a lifetime of protecting that leg from impact. I come off steps onto my left leg, etc. That in turn led to noticeable atrophy and dis-symmetry between the two quads. Cycling has somewhat addressed that.

awfulwaffle 05-11-14 11:35 AM

Right-right for me.

Campag4life 05-11-14 11:40 AM

The leg that dominated my thinking and actions when I was younger was neither left or right.

TrojanHorse 05-11-14 11:42 AM

Right hand, left leg, and a gaggle of right knee injuries has exacerbated that.

I'd say left leg dominant people are fairly unusual. My daughter is also right handed, left-legged and soccer teams she's not on recruit her all the time. :)

DOS 05-11-14 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by awfulwaffle (Post 16748443)
Right-right for me.

I am right handed and always clip out at lights and such with my left foot so I suppose that means I am right legged since I want to start pedaling with my right leg. Also, am breaking a new leather saddle and am noticing deeper sits bones impression on right side than on left, meaning I am right cheeked as well since clearly I even carry more of my weight on my right side.

awfulwaffle 05-11-14 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DOS (Post 16748461)
I am right handed and always clip out at lights and such with my left foot so I suppose that means I am right legged since I want to start pedaling with my right leg.

This is a valid point. Now that you mention it, I think my tendency is also to unclip my left foot at stops.

Will Goes Boing 05-11-14 05:56 PM

Right hand, left leg.

alexaschwanden 05-11-14 06:00 PM

Right hand and right leg.

Homebrew01 05-11-14 06:58 PM

Right handed, left legged.

FBinNY 05-11-14 07:01 PM

I might be a natural lefty since both my left hand and leg are stronger. But I write with my right hand. In most neutral tasks, the left side is steady Eddy, but the right side has more fine control. So go figure.

vstkrc 05-11-14 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Campag4life (Post 16748454)
The leg that dominated my thinking and actions when I was younger was neither left or right.

This guy knows what he's talking about:thumb: On a more serious note, right-right. I'm surprise how many people here are left-handed.

patrickgm60 05-11-14 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DOS (Post 16748461)
Also, am breaking a new leather saddle and am noticing deeper sits bones impression on right side than on left, meaning I am right cheeked as well since clearly I even carry more of my weight on my right side.

That could also mean left leg is working harder, placing more weight on the right side.

I'm right- handed, but my left leg is stronger (per one-legged spin drill wattage data), although I've Always kicked with my right leg.

bleui 05-12-14 01:37 AM

when/if ever you play skateboard, is the leg on the front side of the board always your dominant leg?

FIVE ONE SIX 05-12-14 02:52 AM

me personally, i'm lefty, but right arm and right leg are both dominant. and like others, i always unclip my left foot when i have to stop. always has been that way...

Russell Fontain 05-12-14 02:59 AM

i thik ligh hand
http://dailydigitaldeals.info/wp-con...1/34/smile.gif

dbf73 05-12-14 12:59 PM

Left handed for writing, eating and throwing but mainly kick with right foot and bat and golf right handed - probably from using hand me down golf equipment but that doesn't explain the batting. Click out with left foot when stopping.

Machka 05-13-14 02:56 AM

Ambidextrous.


But ... when I started cycling, I rode with toe clips and, for whatever reason, I removed my left foot and put it on the ground when I came to a stop. I don't know why ... it just felt natural.

When I got clipless pedals, several people told me that I must learn to unclip with my right foot instead of the left foot. They told me it would be easier to unclip and clip with that foot ... perhaps they presumed it was my dominant foot. So I retrained myself to unclip and clip with my right foot. I fell 3 times in that process.

Of course now I realise that it didn't matter, and I should not have believed those people. I could have kept unclipping with my left foot, and could have saved myself 3 falls.

Nevertheless, I now feel more comfortable unclipping and clipping with my right foot.


What side of the bicycle do you stand on when you are preparing to get on your bicycle ... and a related question, which leg do you throw over the bicycle first?

daihard 05-13-14 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Machka (Post 16753761)
What side of the bicycle do you stand on when you are preparing to get on your bicycle ... and a related question, which leg do you throw over the bicycle first?

Always on the left side of the bike and throw my right leg over the bike to get on. That's what I learnt to do as a kid, and it hasn't changed till today.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:58 AM.