Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Road Cycling It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle. -- Ernest Hemingway

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-14-14, 04:00 AM   #1
bruce19
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
bruce19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Lebanon (Liberty Hill), CT
Bikes: MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel
Posts: 4,458
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
This bike for my GF?

My LBS has a Trek 5.2 Domane for sale at $2500. It's all Ultegra with Bontrager Race Light wheels. It's also $1000 off the retail price. Just wondering if anyone knows about this bike. It looks to me like a very nice bike at a very good price.
bruce19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-14, 05:01 AM   #2
kleng
Senior Member
 
kleng's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Perth, Australia and sometimes Penang Malaysia
Bikes: Litespeed L1r, Litespeed Ghisallo 07, TCR Advanced Team SL 0 ISP, Giant TCR Advanced SL, Giant TCR Advanced Team - T-Mobile, Giant Propel Advanced SL
Posts: 1,916
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It would be a good deal if it fits her, women have proportionally shorter torso's and longer legs, so a mens frame may not fit as well. You may need to factor into the equation that parts may need to be changed out to get her the best fit e.g stem, saddle and bar etc.

Might be better to go for a WSD.

Last edited by kleng; 05-14-14 at 06:56 AM.
kleng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-14, 05:08 AM   #3
WestPablo
Banned.
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Bikes:
Posts: 1,557
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If it fits her, grab it!

That's a really sweet deal!
WestPablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-14, 06:32 AM   #4
zymphad
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Bikes: Super Cheap gc3 approved Bike
Posts: 1,778
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce19 View Post
My LBS has a Trek 5.2 Domane for sale at $2500. It's all Ultegra with Bontrager Race Light wheels. It's also $1000 off the retail price. Just wondering if anyone knows about this bike. It looks to me like a very nice bike at a very good price.
Very nice present! I'm a little jealous you have a gf who enjoys cycling that much. I'm ordering tennis raquets today since that's the only thing I can get her to do for physical activity outside.
zymphad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-14, 06:42 AM   #5
valygrl
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Boulder, CO
Bikes:
Posts: 8,321
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
As a person who's boyfriend bought her a bike that didn't fit - don't do this without her test riding it.

If it's the H2 or H3 fit, that is probably good for a woman, the H1 fit is quite long and low, and even as a racer is too long for me. YMMV, all depends on the person's particular proportions. ... after writing that I went and looked at the web site, they don't do H2/H3 for that model, but the reach and stack looks female-friendly.
valygrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-14, 07:13 AM   #6
bruce19
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
bruce19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Lebanon (Liberty Hill), CT
Bikes: MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel
Posts: 4,458
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
This is a women's bike and the owner of the LBS did a fit for her previously. He's an ex-engineer who is a bit anal about fit and has taken all sorts of fit sessions from Trek to Serotta and beyond. His wife and co-owner rides this very bike. She loves hers. They've agreed to hold the bike until we can get there on Friday and determine if it fits her per her previous fit kit session. If it does a new bike fitting comes with the sale to fine tune the fit.
bruce19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-14, 07:17 AM   #7
JohnJ80
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Minnesota
Bikes: N+1=5
Posts: 2,808
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Then it sounds like a major winner. My daughter has a Domane and loves it.

j.
JohnJ80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-14, 07:18 AM   #8
bruce19
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
bruce19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Lebanon (Liberty Hill), CT
Bikes: MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel
Posts: 4,458
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by valygrl View Post
As a person who's boyfriend bought her a bike that didn't fit - don't do this without her test riding it.

If it's the H2 or H3 fit, that is probably good for a woman, the H1 fit is quite long and low, and even as a racer is too long for me. YMMV, all depends on the person's particular proportions. ... after writing that I went and looked at the web site, they don't do H2/H3 for that model, but the reach and stack looks female-friendly.
This is good advice. About ten yrs ago after 8 yrs off the bike I got back into it. Sloping TTs and indexed shifting were all new to me. My GF had never ridden but wanted to start. We went to a different LBS and bought two bikes (mine a Masi and hers a Fuji Team Sport) based on the advice of the LBS owner. Turns out both bikes were too big for us. We could ride them pretty well but they were never perfect. Hence my new Guru steel and her desire to check out this bike.
bruce19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-14, 07:25 AM   #9
merlinextraligh
pan y agua
 
merlinextraligh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Jacksonville
Bikes: Wilier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Co-Motion Robusta; Schwinn Paramount; Motobecane Phantom Cross; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Calfee Dragonfly Tandem
Posts: 29,126
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kleng View Post
It would be a good deal if it fits her, women have proportionally shorter torso's and longer legs, so a mens frame may not fit as well. You may need to factor into the equation that parts may need to be changed out to get her the best fit e.g stem, saddle and bar etc.

Might be better to go for a WSD.
This actually isn't true. Women tend to be shorter, but as a population have the same proportions for torso and leg length

Hey bike industry, we aren?t Barbie dolls | Taking the Lane

Of course you're not buying a bike for a population. So the only way you'll know what works for her is fo her to try it out, as valygrl has said.
__________________
You could fall off a cliff and die.
You could get lost and die.
You could hit a tree and die.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
merlinextraligh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-14, 07:28 AM   #10
JohnJ80
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Minnesota
Bikes: N+1=5
Posts: 2,808
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce19 View Post
This is good advice. About ten yrs ago after 8 yrs off the bike I got back into it. Sloping TTs and indexed shifting were all new to me. My GF had never ridden but wanted to start. We went to a different LBS and bought two bikes (mine a Masi and hers a Fuji Team Sport) based on the advice of the LBS owner. Turns out both bikes were too big for us. We could ride them pretty well but they were never perfect. Hence my new Guru steel and her desire to check out this bike.
It's all about the fit for sure. If this fitter is good, and if this bike fits, it would be a winner for her.

J
JohnJ80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-14, 10:15 PM   #11
RobertL
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Maple Grove, MN
Bikes:
Posts: 559
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce19 View Post
My LBS has a Trek 5.2 Domane for sale at $2500. It looks to me like a very nice bike at a very good price.
You are correct!
RobertL is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:05 AM.