Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 42
  1. #1
    Senior Member rekon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    297
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Is this a good deal?

    I've been looking at road bikes for my wife. She wants to get into road cycling to improve fitness.

    Cannondale CAAD9

    What do you guys think of this CAAD 9. I know it's a "men's bike" but I figure I can change the saddle... I'm not sure what else is different on women bikes.

    Anyways. the guy selling the CAAD 9 said he will let it go for $600 if I pick it up today. My initial thought is it's a little steep but i'm not sure... Thoughts?
    His: 2014 Giant Talon 27.5 5; 2013 Motobecane Fantom CX Outlaw; 2011 Cannondale CAAD 10
    Hers: 2013 Diamondback Airen 2; 2012 Sea Breeze Cruiser

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    275
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2009 Cannondale CAAD9 6 - New and Used Bike Value

    is this the bike... they value it at 433.

  3. #3
    Senior Member rekon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    297
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by calgarc View Post
    2009 Cannondale CAAD9 6 - New and Used Bike Value

    is this the bike... they value it at 433.
    hmm.. he said it was a 2010.
    His: 2014 Giant Talon 27.5 5; 2013 Motobecane Fantom CX Outlaw; 2011 Cannondale CAAD 10
    Hers: 2013 Diamondback Airen 2; 2012 Sea Breeze Cruiser

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Orange County, CA
    Posts
    2,345
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    $600 is a decent price given that you are in OC and in the middle of the season.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    275
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rekon View Post
    hmm.. he said it was a 2010.

    DOH lol

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Glendale, CA
    My Bikes
    2013 Giant TCR Advanced SL4, 1989 Centurion Ironman Master Dave Scott
    Posts
    2,630
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by calgarc View Post
    2009 Cannondale CAAD9 6 - New and Used Bike Value

    is this the bike... they value it at 433.
    I bought a 2010 CAAD9 frame (with upgraded fork and carbon seat post) for $450 a few months ago in L.A. Good luck getting a complete in nice condition in this area for $433. With pedals and computer and upgraded saddle, $600 sounds like a decent price. Right now is the prime time for sellers not buyers so you won't get a much better deal
    http://www.pedalroom.com/members/rms13

  7. #7
    L-I-V-I-N dtrain's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Stafford, OR
    Posts
    3,264
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Decent deal at $600, yes. I'd consider $525-550 'good' for the buyer. You could maybe do a little better, but not much.
    "The older you do get, the more rules they're gonna try to get you to follow. You just gotta keep livin', man, L-I-V-I-N." - Wooderson

    '14 Cannondale Synapse (carbon) - '04 Bianchi Imola (steel) - '99 Gary Fisher Big Sur (mtn)

  8. #8
    Senior Member rekon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    297
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dtrain View Post
    Decent deal at $600, yes. I'd consider $525-550 'good' for the buyer. You could maybe do a little better, but not much.
    Thanks. I guess my next question would be... is this a decent bike for a women?
    His: 2014 Giant Talon 27.5 5; 2013 Motobecane Fantom CX Outlaw; 2011 Cannondale CAAD 10
    Hers: 2013 Diamondback Airen 2; 2012 Sea Breeze Cruiser

  9. #9
    Senior Member rekon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    297
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Or, Should I just her this Scott Contessa? Brand new at $622... Scott Contessa Speedster 45 Women's Bike - 2013 at REI.com
    His: 2014 Giant Talon 27.5 5; 2013 Motobecane Fantom CX Outlaw; 2011 Cannondale CAAD 10
    Hers: 2013 Diamondback Airen 2; 2012 Sea Breeze Cruiser

  10. #10
    L-I-V-I-N dtrain's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Stafford, OR
    Posts
    3,264
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No idea on that, hard to know. My wife does fine on a 'unisex' or men's bike rather than a women's. I should probably shim her brake levers for a shorter reach. She has a Terry Butterfly saddle and shorter stem (and that's about all)...but she's above 5'7". Seems like the WSD mods are more important at smaller sizes.
    Last edited by dtrain; 06-24-14 at 12:39 PM.
    "The older you do get, the more rules they're gonna try to get you to follow. You just gotta keep livin', man, L-I-V-I-N." - Wooderson

    '14 Cannondale Synapse (carbon) - '04 Bianchi Imola (steel) - '99 Gary Fisher Big Sur (mtn)

  11. #11
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Toronto
    My Bikes
    Currently building a Bianchi, Trek 330, formerly Monshee Nomad, Favorit, Bianchi Sport SX, Frankenbike
    Posts
    380
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It depends on fit. There are sometimes shorter top tubes for women than men. The advantage of the new bike is that you can try the different sizes.

  12. #12
    Senior Member lsberrios1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Atlanta GA
    My Bikes
    '13 Spech Roubaix SL4 Expert
    Posts
    2,188
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just paid $480 for this baby with 25 miles on it. 2013 Felt F85. I took the reflectors and all the poop that came with it. I also changed the saddle since my fiancee thought that the other one was too hard... :/



    That being said I wouldn't pay more than $600 for the cannondale. It is nice but it's also 5 years old.
    Cat 6 going on PRO....

  13. #13
    Senior Member rekon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    297
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lsberrios1 View Post
    I just paid $480 for this baby with 25 miles on it. 2013 Felt F85. I took the reflectors and all the poop that came with it. I also changed the saddle since my fiancee thought that the other one was too hard... :/



    That being said I wouldn't pay more than $600 for the cannondale. It is nice but it's also 5 years old.
    Sounds like my wife... complaining about saddles lol

    I found this one: 2012 Scott Contessa Speedster45 Womens Road Bike



    I offered her $400 for it. We'll see if she accepts. If so, I think i'll pick it up today. Seems decent.
    His: 2014 Giant Talon 27.5 5; 2013 Motobecane Fantom CX Outlaw; 2011 Cannondale CAAD 10
    Hers: 2013 Diamondback Airen 2; 2012 Sea Breeze Cruiser

  14. #14
    Senior Member seymour1910's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Hampton, VA
    My Bikes
    CAAD7
    Posts
    2,050
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am partial to CAAD and prefer them over most other bikes but I have to be honest. I think $600 is a bit much even if it is fair markat value over there. You can get a brand new bike with 10 speed Tiagra, not the 9 speed for the same money if not cheaper. That way you have a warranty. Not trying to tell you how to spend your hard earned dollars but just trying to help.

    This bike is a new 2013 with 10 speed Tiagra for $599
    GT Bikes GTR Series 3 Women's Bike 2013 > Complete Bikes > Road Bikes | Jenson USA

    You can order online, or if you would rather ride it first the Riverside store has it in stock.

    1615 Eastridge Ave
    Riverside, CA 92507
    (951) 344-1010

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Western PA
    Posts
    738
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Men's bike vs Women's bike, explained.

    Besides the paint, and possibly the saddle...

    The average woman will have a relatively shorter torso than a man. The average woman will also have relatively longer legs. So, a women-specific bike will typically have a shorter top-tube for a given size, so it's easier for her to reach the bars. Some manufacturers have a more compact geometry (seat tube and effective top tube same size) so there is no need for a women-specific model. Buying a men's bike is fine, as long as it isn't from a manufacturer with a longer top-tube.

    Lots of women don't even like the women-specific bikes because they are too girly with pinks and purples and flowers and the like.

    I'd let her decide... if that isn't an option, at least you have a year to make a return to REI if you get it wrong. Go with REI.
    No one can tell you the correct size, we can't even give a ball-park estimate without knowing her height and inseam.

  16. #16
    Senior Member rekon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    297
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by headloss View Post
    Men's bike vs Women's bike, explained.

    Besides the paint, and possibly the saddle...

    The average woman will have a relatively shorter torso than a man. The average woman will also have relatively longer legs. So, a women-specific bike will typically have a shorter top-tube for a given size, so it's easier for her to reach the bars. Some manufacturers have a more compact geometry (seat tube and effective top tube same size) so there is no need for a women-specific model. Buying a men's bike is fine, as long as it isn't from a manufacturer with a longer top-tube.

    Lots of women don't even like the women-specific bikes because they are too girly with pinks and purples and flowers and the like.

    I'd let her decide... if that isn't an option, at least you have a year to make a return to REI if you get it wrong. Go with REI.
    No one can tell you the correct size, we can't even give a ball-park estimate without knowing her height and inseam.
    She's 5'4. Not sure about inseam...
    His: 2014 Giant Talon 27.5 5; 2013 Motobecane Fantom CX Outlaw; 2011 Cannondale CAAD 10
    Hers: 2013 Diamondback Airen 2; 2012 Sea Breeze Cruiser

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Boulder, CO
    Posts
    7,494
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    52 cm caad 9 is too big for 5'4" woman. I'm 5'2" and am just happy on the 48cm CAAD, with a short stem and aggressive saddle-bar drop.
    ...

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Boulder, CO
    Posts
    7,494
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Scott makes good small bikes. 47cm or 49cm contessa, CR1, Addict all should work.
    ...

  19. #19
    Senior Member lsberrios1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Atlanta GA
    My Bikes
    '13 Spech Roubaix SL4 Expert
    Posts
    2,188
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looking at the classifieds in CL for your area I can see that the prices are terrible. I like Seymour's option best. You want to make sure that it fits her good, otherwise she won't ride it.
    Cat 6 going on PRO....

  20. #20
    Senior Member rekon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    297
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lsberrios1 View Post
    Looking at the classifieds in CL for your area I can see that the prices are terrible. I like Seymour's option best. You want to make sure that it fits her good, otherwise she won't ride it.
    I'm in the Los Angeles (Woodland Hills) area... I'm going to check local stores for the GTR. If not, I think i'll go to Riverside to pick it up.
    His: 2014 Giant Talon 27.5 5; 2013 Motobecane Fantom CX Outlaw; 2011 Cannondale CAAD 10
    Hers: 2013 Diamondback Airen 2; 2012 Sea Breeze Cruiser

  21. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Glendale, CA
    My Bikes
    2013 Giant TCR Advanced SL4, 1989 Centurion Ironman Master Dave Scott
    Posts
    2,630
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rekon View Post
    I'm in the Los Angeles (Woodland Hills) area... I'm going to check local stores for the GTR. If not, I think i'll go to Riverside to pick it up.
    You have a Performance Bike. Might want to check there and have her test ride. They always have sales going on.
    http://www.pedalroom.com/members/rms13

  22. #22
    Senior Member rekon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    297
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rms13 View Post
    You have a Performance Bike. Might want to check there and have her test ride. They always have sales going on.
    Thanks! I just called them. They have a few scattante tiagara bikes for $599. I'm going to check them out with my wife...
    His: 2014 Giant Talon 27.5 5; 2013 Motobecane Fantom CX Outlaw; 2011 Cannondale CAAD 10
    Hers: 2013 Diamondback Airen 2; 2012 Sea Breeze Cruiser

  23. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    My Bikes
    Trek Madone 4.5, Trek FX 7.6
    Posts
    132
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rekon View Post
    Sounds like my wife... complaining about saddles lol

    I found this one: 2012 Scott Contessa Speedster45 Womens Road Bike



    I offered her $400 for it. We'll see if she accepts. If so, I think i'll pick it up today. Seems decent.
    That looks very nice! Women like pretty things.

  24. #24
    Senior Member lsberrios1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Atlanta GA
    My Bikes
    '13 Spech Roubaix SL4 Expert
    Posts
    2,188
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rekon View Post
    Thanks! I just called them. They have a few scattante tiagara bikes for $599. I'm going to check them out with my wife...
    Go get it! That's a good deal.
    Cat 6 going on PRO....

  25. #25
    Senior Member rekon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    297
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jsjcat View Post
    That looks very nice! Women like pretty things.
    This girl agreed to sell her bike for $400... ahh decisions, decisions..!
    His: 2014 Giant Talon 27.5 5; 2013 Motobecane Fantom CX Outlaw; 2011 Cannondale CAAD 10
    Hers: 2013 Diamondback Airen 2; 2012 Sea Breeze Cruiser

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •