Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 5 of 5
  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    7
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Value of Mercier Orion frameset?

    Hey,

    I'm thinking of picking up a Mercier Orion frameset from a guy in my neighborhood. He's selling it for around $250. Does that seem like a good deal? Does anyone have experience with this frame? It's listed as Reynolds 520 with a chromoly fork.

    Opinions?

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    RT
    RT is offline
    The Weird Beard RT's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    COS
    Posts
    8,528
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by goodhousekeapin View Post
    Hey,

    I'm thinking of picking up a Mercier Orion frameset from a guy in my neighborhood. He's selling it for around $250. Does that seem like a good deal? Does anyone have experience with this frame? It's listed as Reynolds 520 with a chromoly fork.

    Opinions?

    Thanks!
    You can get a brand new Windsor frameset for $199 at Bike Island. At that level, these frames behave relatively the same, if not exactly so. I have a Gravity frame that I love from BI. If this is a used frameset, talk him down or order new.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Glendale, CA
    My Bikes
    2013 Giant TCR Advanced SL4, 1989 Centurion Ironman Master Dave Scott
    Posts
    2,341
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is that a vintage Mercier frame or a bikesdirect frame? If it's a newer bikesdirect frame than he's trying to rip you off. Reynolds 520 is nothing special. If you shop around on ebay you could probably find a used 520 frameset for $100
    http://www.pedalroom.com/members/rms13

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    7
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rms13 View Post
    Is that a vintage Mercier frame or a bikesdirect frame? If it's a newer bikesdirect frame than he's trying to rip you off. Reynolds 520 is nothing special. If you shop around on ebay you could probably find a used 520 frameset for $100
    Looks like it's from BD. As I'm planning to convert to SS seems like it might be good to get a new Kilo or similar.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Glendale, CA
    My Bikes
    2013 Giant TCR Advanced SL4, 1989 Centurion Ironman Master Dave Scott
    Posts
    2,341
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by goodhousekeapin View Post
    Looks like it's from BD. As I'm planning to convert to SS seems like it might be good to get a new Kilo or similar.
    Yeah buy a new Kilo TT from BD for $400 or a Windsor the Hour for $300. If you really want to build you could get a Pake Rum Rummer or Fyxation Eastide frameset for $200-250 new
    http://www.pedalroom.com/members/rms13

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •