Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 28
  1. #1
    Junior Member Deiph's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    20
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Four from the "Big" Four

    This is arguably better done as a poll, but frankly I'm more interested in the comments, rather than the decision, so I think a thread is better.

    Here's the premise:
    I don't know about you, but I enjoy riding different bikes. I currently have a Giant Defy 1 (first road bike) and a Trek Madone 5.2. Maybe I'm like the old Mounds/Almond Joy commercial, but sometimes I fell like a nut, sometimes I don't.

    In any case, at my current level of riding, I don't feel any need for a groupset above Ultegra, and frankly that's probably overkill - 105 seems fine for the most part. So let's $ limit to the $3k - 4k-ish level. So, here's the question...

    If you had a somewhat unlimited budget, and you could only buy 1 bike from each of the 4 "major" brands - Specialized, Cannondale, Trek and Giant - and you had to end up with 2 "racing" geometry bikes and 2 "endurance" geometry bikes, which would you choose? (Note: I'm not trying to start a religious war here. Where I live, these are clearly the 'major" (not necessarily best) brands. I know there are many other great bikes out there, and if I could, I'd have one of each.)

    I apologize in advance if this is confusing. Perhaps if I show you my tentative choices, you'll get the idea:

    Specialized: Tarmac (race)
    Cannondale: Synapse (endurance)
    Trek: Madone (race)
    Giant: Defy (endurance)

    So, where have I gone awry? Certainly the Roubaix, SuperSix Evo, Domane and TCR are good choices.

    What say you?

  2. #2
    Senior Member gc3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    DC
    My Bikes
    Now I Got Two
    Posts
    2,808
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)


    If I had an unlimited budget, buying from any one of those four companies is pretty much the very very very very last thing I'd do...
    Last edited by gc3; 06-30-14 at 10:47 PM.
    "I tried being reasonable, I didn‘t like it."

    "I understand. I just don't care"

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Above ground, Walnut Creek, Ca
    My Bikes
    7 single speed road
    Posts
    4,184
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    are we going to be tested on this?

  4. #4
    Junior Member Deiph's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    20
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hueyhoolihan View Post
    are we going to be tested on this?
    Yes!.... well, no.

    Should I rephrase the question as one of the below?:

    a) Why don't people wave to me when I wave to them?
    b) What's the best road bike for a beginner?
    c) Should I buy this bike from Craigslist?'
    d) Is my bike hot?
    e) What should I do if people don't wave to me when I wave to them?
    f) How much should I drink?
    g) How much should I eat?
    h) How do I spell Google?

    Sorry, my bad for trying to come up with an admittedly ridiculous question. I just got tired of reading the above.

    Ok, ok. I'm lying. I just need to get my number of posts up. I always worked on the premise that "if you're talking (typing), ya ain't learnin'. So I thought I'd do some typing for a change.

  5. #5
    Still can't climb
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Limey in Taiwan
    Posts
    20,979
    Mentioned
    414 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gc3 View Post


    If I had an unlimited budget, buying from any one of those four companies is pretty much the very very very very last thing I'd do...

    why? too common? would you go custom?
    coasting, few quotes are worthy of him, and of those, even fewer printable in a family forum......quote 3alarmer

    No @coasting, you should stay 100% as you are right now, don't change a thing....quote Heathpack

  6. #6
    Junior Member Deiph's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    20
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gc3 View Post


    If I had an unlimited budget, buying from any one of those four companies is pretty much the very very very very last thing I'd do...

    My point exactly. Since I have that budget, that's the FIRST thing I MIGHT do. Tell me why I'm an idoit [sic], please.

  7. #7
    Senior Member coppercook62's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Northern CA
    My Bikes
    Crumpton SL Crumpton Type 5
    Posts
    689
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Custom

  8. #8
    Senior Member gc3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    DC
    My Bikes
    Now I Got Two
    Posts
    2,808
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by coasting View Post
    why? too common? would you go custom?
    Probably not, just get something with equivalent performance at that price point and that you won't see a million of every day on the road. What can I say, I'm just a bike snob.

    Quote Originally Posted by Deiph View Post
    My point exactly. Since I have that budget, that's the FIRST thing I MIGHT do. Tell me why I'm an idoit [sic], please.
    If you must......
    Race = Tarmac
    Endurance = Defy Advanced
    In my mind these epitomize those categories and represent best value....then move on
    "I tried being reasonable, I didn‘t like it."

    "I understand. I just don't care"

  9. #9
    Junior Member Deiph's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    20
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by coppercook62 View Post
    Custom
    Like this?


    FLIZ_pedal-less_bicycle_jpeg_662x0_q100_crop-scale.jpg

  10. #10
    Junior Member Deiph's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    20
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gc3 View Post
    Probably not, just get something with equivalent performance at that price point and that you won't see a million of every day on the road. What can I say, I'm just a bike snob.



    If you must......
    Race = Tarmac
    Endurance = Defy Advanced
    In my mind these epitomize those categories and represent best value....then move on
    Excellent. I guess that's my un-asked question. To what?

  11. #11
    Still can't climb
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Limey in Taiwan
    Posts
    20,979
    Mentioned
    414 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    why isnt it big 5 ...scott
    coasting, few quotes are worthy of him, and of those, even fewer printable in a family forum......quote 3alarmer

    No @coasting, you should stay 100% as you are right now, don't change a thing....quote Heathpack

  12. #12
    Mostly Harmless rjones28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Chittenango, NY
    My Bikes
    Have two wheels
    Posts
    23,822
    Mentioned
    163 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Deiph View Post
    This is arguably better done as a poll, but frankly I'm more interested in the comments, rather than the decision, so I think a thread is better.

    Here's the premise:
    I don't know about you, but I enjoy riding different bikes. I currently have a Giant Defy 1 (first road bike) and a Trek Madone 5.2. Maybe I'm like the old Mounds/Almond Joy commercial, but sometimes I fell like a nut, sometimes I don't.

    In any case, at my current level of riding, I don't feel any need for a groupset above Ultegra, and frankly that's probably overkill - 105 seems fine for the most part. So let's $ limit to the $3k - 4k-ish level. So, here's the question...

    If you had a somewhat unlimited budget, and you could only buy 1 bike from each of the 4 "major" brands - Specialized, Cannondale, Trek and Giant - and you had to end up with 2 "racing" geometry bikes and 2 "endurance" geometry bikes, which would you choose? (Note: I'm not trying to start a religious war here. Where I live, these are clearly the 'major" (not necessarily best) brands. I know there are many other great bikes out there, and if I could, I'd have one of each.)

    I apologize in advance if this is confusing. Perhaps if I show you my tentative choices, you'll get the idea:

    Specialized: Tarmac (race)
    Cannondale: Synapse (endurance)
    Trek: Madone (race)
    Giant: Defy (endurance)

    So, where have I gone awry? Certainly the Roubaix, SuperSix Evo, Domane and TCR are good choices.

    What say you?
    No variety. These bikes aren't different enough. How about different bikes from different riding disciplines?
    Quote Originally Posted by truckstop View Post
    getting banned from trollheim. does that mean you win?

  13. #13
    Senior Member coppercook62's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Northern CA
    My Bikes
    Crumpton SL Crumpton Type 5
    Posts
    689
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The new cervelo s3 are nice if you want to stick to BIG Brands

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    275
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if i had unlimited budget i would be retiring to a beach somewhere, probably in the Balearic sea, a pair of headphones and a single road bike would be all i would need haha

  15. #15
    Junior Member Deiph's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    20
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by calgarc View Post
    if i had unlimited budget i would be retiring to a beach somewhere, probably in the Balearic sea, a pair of headphones and a single road bike would be all i would need haha
    +1

  16. #16
    Junior Member Deiph's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    20
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rjones28 View Post
    No variety. These bikes aren't different enough. How about different bikes from different riding disciplines?
    My bad. What different riding disciplines did you have in mind?

  17. #17
    Middle-Aged Member MikeyBoyAz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Mesa, AZ
    My Bikes
    Bianchi Infinito CV 2014, TREK HIFI 2011
    Posts
    1,813
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by calgarc View Post
    if i had unlimited budget i would be retiring to a beach somewhere, probably in the Balearic sea, a pair of headphones and a single road bike would be all i would need haha
    Those better be some Grados.
    I HEARD YOU'RE IDEA'S AND THEIR DEFINATELY GOOD.
    xkcd.com / 1238

  18. #18
    Senior Member coppercook62's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Northern CA
    My Bikes
    Crumpton SL Crumpton Type 5
    Posts
    689
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice headphones

  19. #19
    Senior Member vwchad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Everett, Washington
    My Bikes
    2013 Focus Izalco Pro, 2012 Focus Mares AX 2.0
    Posts
    565
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rjones28 View Post
    No variety. These bikes aren't different enough. How about different bikes from different riding disciplines?
    +1

    I'll take a crack at this. I'd want a modern carbon fiber racey type road bike, a vintage steel road bike, a cyclocross bike, an endurance road bike, a touring bike, a hard tail mountain bike, a full suspension downhill mountain bike, a beach cruiser, a commuter, and a track bike.

  20. #20
    Senior Member Garfield Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Huntington Beach, CA
    My Bikes
    Cervelo Prodigy
    Posts
    5,204
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not all of those "Big 4" brands have exactly comparable sizes, per their own geometry charts. The decision would not be two of each. The decision would only be one of each. The decision would be from my own "frame of reference" (no pun intended). I would still go Dura Ace and skip the Ultegra because I decide not getting two of each.

    My frame of reference is about my own sizing and how I would go to my bike fitter who knows me better than I do, from her frame of reference.

  21. #21
    Mostly Harmless rjones28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Chittenango, NY
    My Bikes
    Have two wheels
    Posts
    23,822
    Mentioned
    163 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Deiph View Post
    My bad. What different riding disciplines did you have in mind?
    Quote Originally Posted by vwchad View Post
    +1

    I'll take a crack at this. I'd want a modern carbon fiber racey type road bike, a vintage steel road bike, a cyclocross bike, an endurance road bike, a touring bike, a hard tail mountain bike, a full suspension downhill mountain bike, a beach cruiser, a commuter, and a track bike.
    Something like this.

    Keepiing with the "Big" Four theme, I'd probably just go with; racing geometry roadie, single speed, mountain bike, cyclocross/commuter.
    Quote Originally Posted by truckstop View Post
    getting banned from trollheim. does that mean you win?

  22. #22
    Senior Member RPK79's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    SE MN
    My Bikes
    Fuji Roubaix Pro
    Posts
    4,133
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd go with Deloitte.

  23. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    NoVA
    My Bikes
    CAAD10
    Posts
    150
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll play.


    Tarmac
    TCR
    CAAD10
    Synapse

  24. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    275
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeyBoyAz View Post
    Those better be some Grados.
    I am a producer, i would need something with a flat response, some Sennheisers or Audio Technicas would do

  25. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Above ground, Walnut Creek, Ca
    My Bikes
    7 single speed road
    Posts
    4,184
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Deiph View Post
    My point exactly. Since I have that budget, that's the FIRST thing I MIGHT do. Tell me why I'm an idoit [sic], please.
    nothing wrong with the french spelling.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •