Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-15-14, 06:17 PM   #51
PaulRivers
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Bikes:
Posts: 5,406
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velo Vol View Post
Who are you quoting?
Wikipedia, though apparently I typed it slightly wrong -
Usain Bolt - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Widely regarded as the fastest person ever, he is the first man to hold both the 100 metres and 200 metres world records since fully automatic time measurements became mandatory in 1977. Along with his teammates, he also set the world record in the 4×100 metres relay. He is the reigning Olympic champion in these three events, the first man to win six Olympic gold medals in sprinting, and an eight-time World champion. He was the first to achieve a "double double" by winning 100 m and 200 m titles at consecutive Olympics (2008 and 2012), and topped this through the first "double triple" (including 4×100 m relays).
PaulRivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-14, 06:29 PM   #52
aggst1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Bikes: 1996 Marinoni Leggero, 1978 Bianchi Superleggera, 1987 Nishiki Prestige, 2007 Specialized Rockhopper
Posts: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by gl98115 View Post
I hope you all realize why... The soccer player exaggerates an injury to gain a favorable call by the ref. The cyclist has no advantage whatsoever to do so. The average cyclist is not any tougher than the average soccer player.
aggst1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-14, 06:38 PM   #53
bruce19
Senior Member
 
bruce19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Lebanon (Liberty Hill), CT
Bikes: MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel
Posts: 4,373
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velo Vol View Post
Who are you quoting?
Not sure either but it's really in the numbers no?
bruce19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-14, 06:51 PM   #54
rousseau
Senior Member
 
rousseau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Southwestern Ontario
Bikes:
Posts: 2,602
[video=youtube;T8-JYSXDp9k]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8-JYSXDp9k[/video]
rousseau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-14, 07:03 PM   #55
Jseis 
Grating member
 
Jseis's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: SW Washington state on the ocean!
Bikes: 1973 Motobecane Grand Jubilee, 1981 Centurion Super LeMans, 2010 Gary Fisher Wahoo, 2003 Colnago Dream Lux, 2015 Framed Bikes Minnesota 3.0, several older family Treks
Posts: 1,401
I played a lot of soccer in college, commuted by bike, some SCUBA, hiking, climbing, racquetball etc. My thighs would barely fit my jeans. What developed upper body? House framing & farming. A soccer player who starts doing body blocking gets tossed from the team.
__________________
Make Amerika Grate Again
Jseis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-14, 07:04 PM   #56
laf
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Bikes:
Posts: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
Because football is the greatest game in the world?
Because its easily one of the most accessibles sport to play.

Not that bad to play, but absolutely unwatchable. Too incredibly boring. Cant believe so many people can watch this. Must be a cultural thing.
laf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-14, 07:14 PM   #57
BoSoxYacht
Banned
 
BoSoxYacht's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: take your time, enjoy the scenery, it will be there when you get to it
Bikes: 07 IRO BFGB fixed-gear, 07 Pedal Force RS
Posts: 7,282
Quote:
Originally Posted by aggst1 View Post
I hope you all realize why... The soccer player exaggerates an injury to gain a favorable call by the ref. The cyclist has no advantage whatsoever to do so. The average cyclist is not any tougher than the average soccer player.
Faking is faking. No matter what the reason is, it's just wrong.
BoSoxYacht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-14, 07:22 PM   #58
rousseau
Senior Member
 
rousseau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Southwestern Ontario
Bikes:
Posts: 2,602
Quote:
Originally Posted by laf View Post
Because its easily one of the most accessibles sport to play.

Not that bad to play, but absolutely unwatchable. Too incredibly boring. Cant believe so many people can watch this. Must be a cultural thing.
Like clockwork. Every time football gets mentioned, Americans come out of the woodwork to declare how much they hate it. As if billions of people are waiting to hear your opinion on it. Or explain to us why it's "boring" (hint: it's not). Or why we like it.

Minds changed by Americans declaring that they don't like football: zero.
Eyes rolling at the incredibly tedious spectacle of American keyboard warriors declaring that they don't like football in every gawd-damned thread where football is mentioned: all.

Here's a suggestion to Americans who don't like football: Instead of opening your mouth and removing all doubt of your stupidity, why not keep it shut?
rousseau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-14, 07:23 PM   #59
Nachoman
Senior Member
 
Nachoman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Point Loma, CA
Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)
Posts: 13,948
Quote:
Originally Posted by aggst1 View Post
I hope you all realize why... The soccer player exaggerates an injury to gain a favorable call by the ref. The cyclist has no advantage whatsoever to do so. The average cyclist is not any tougher than the average soccer player.
Define tougher, tough guy.
__________________
.
.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Nachoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-14, 08:09 PM   #60
halfspeed
Senior Member
 
halfspeed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: SE Minnesota
Bikes: are better than yours.
Posts: 12,276
Quote:
Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
Because football is the greatest game in the world?
Right, but what does that have to do with soccer?
__________________
Telemachus has, indeed, sneezed.
halfspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-14, 08:22 PM   #61
halfspeed
Senior Member
 
halfspeed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: SE Minnesota
Bikes: are better than yours.
Posts: 12,276
Quote:
Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
Like clockwork. Every time football gets mentioned, Americans come out of the woodwork to declare how much they hate it. As if billions of people are waiting to hear your opinion on it. Or explain to us why it's "boring" (hint: it's not). Or why we like it.

Minds changed by Americans declaring that they don't like football: zero.
Eyes rolling at the incredibly tedious spectacle of American keyboard warriors declaring that they don't like football in every gawd-damned thread where football is mentioned: all.

Here's a suggestion to Americans who don't like football: Instead of opening your mouth and removing all doubt of your stupidity, why not keep it shut?
Soccer fans bring the ridicule on themselves when they insist on claiming that "it's the greatest sport in the world."

We've heard it, we've tried watching it, we've grown up playing it, we've carted our kids to games, and we still don't like it. Give it a rest.
__________________
Telemachus has, indeed, sneezed.
halfspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-14, 08:38 PM   #62
StanSeven
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: No Va but ride also in So Md
Bikes: Cervelo SLC-SL, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX
Posts: 11,683
Quote:
Originally Posted by aggst1 View Post
I hope you all realize why... The soccer player exaggerates an injury to gain a favorable call by the ref.
Nope. Kids are taught soccer skills young like six years old. The problem is no one tells them to stop crying as they get older.
StanSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-14, 08:53 PM   #63
BoSoxYacht
Banned
 
BoSoxYacht's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: take your time, enjoy the scenery, it will be there when you get to it
Bikes: 07 IRO BFGB fixed-gear, 07 Pedal Force RS
Posts: 7,282
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfspeed View Post
Soccer fans bring the ridicule on themselves when they insist on claiming that "it's the greatest sport in the world."

We've heard it, we've tried watching it, we've grown up playing it, we've carted our kids to games, and we still don't like it. Give it a rest.
even worse is when they talk down to you because we don't understand the beautiful game.
BoSoxYacht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-14, 08:58 PM   #64
gl98115
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Bikes:
Posts: 311
Quote:
Originally Posted by aggst1 View Post
The soccer player exaggerates an injury to gain a favorable call by the ref.
And that's why it's the greatest game in the world?
gl98115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-14, 08:59 PM   #65
rousseau
Senior Member
 
rousseau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Southwestern Ontario
Bikes:
Posts: 2,602
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfspeed View Post
We've heard it, we've tried watching it, we've grown up playing it, we've carted our kids to games, and we still don't like it. Give it a rest.
That's just too awesome.

OP: Cycling and soccer / football are two sports where little guys can do well....Why do the soccer guys have much bigger pecs / arms / upper bodies?
You and other idiots: I don't like soccer....blah blah blah...Give it a rest.

You can't make this stuff up!

Honestly, as soon as you saw this thread was about football, why did you feel led to share with the world that you don't like the sport? What's your motivation? Who peed in your corn flakes?
rousseau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-14, 09:07 PM   #66
BoSoxYacht
Banned
 
BoSoxYacht's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: take your time, enjoy the scenery, it will be there when you get to it
Bikes: 07 IRO BFGB fixed-gear, 07 Pedal Force RS
Posts: 7,282
Quote:
Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
That's just too awesome.

OP: Cycling and soccer / football are two sports where little guys can do well....Why do the soccer guys have much bigger pecs / arms / upper bodies?
You and other idiots: I don't like soccer....blah blah blah...Give it a rest.

You can't make this stuff up!

Honestly, as soon as you saw this thread was about football, why did you feel led to share with the world that you don't like the sport? What's your motivation? Who peed in your corn flakes?
When are you going to figure out that Americans will never care about what you have to say? You are Canadian, and your opinion means nothing to us.
BoSoxYacht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-14, 09:08 PM   #67
lsberrios1 
Senior Member
 
lsberrios1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Atlanta GA
Bikes: '13 Spech Roubaix SL4 Expert
Posts: 2,469
Quote:
Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
That's just too awesome.

OP: Cycling and soccer / football are two sports where little guys can do well....Why do the soccer guys have much bigger pecs / arms / upper bodies?
You and other idiots: I don't like soccer....blah blah blah...Give it a rest.

You can't make this stuff up!

Honestly, as soon as you saw this thread was about football, why did you feel led to share with the world that you don't like the sport? What's your motivation? Who peed in your corn flakes?
Soccer is for girls > girls like abs and soap operas > abs + soap operas = soccer > there are more girls in the world than guys > more people watch soccer than cycling.
__________________
Cat 6 going on PRO....
lsberrios1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-14, 09:17 PM   #68
aggst1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Bikes: 1996 Marinoni Leggero, 1978 Bianchi Superleggera, 1987 Nishiki Prestige, 2007 Specialized Rockhopper
Posts: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by gl98115 View Post
And that's why it's the greatest game in the world?
No, it is the greatest and most popular game in the world because of its simplicity. About 2/3 of the population on this planet follow it one way or another. Can't say the same about any other sport. Only Americans find it boring. If billions of people around the globe find it interesting and a couple hundred million people in the us find it boring (millions of folks in the us do like soccer especially foreign born citizens), what does that say about the latter? Simple, they don't like something they don't know. Humans always tend to dislike something unfamiliar. Instead they make fun of it because it elevates their ego, makes them feel better.... After all they are real 'mericans!
aggst1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-14, 09:21 PM   #69
aggst1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Bikes: 1996 Marinoni Leggero, 1978 Bianchi Superleggera, 1987 Nishiki Prestige, 2007 Specialized Rockhopper
Posts: 141
OP, why do you think soccer players are little guys? The average soccer player is just average in size, height, and weight. Little compared to what? Linebackers on NFL?
aggst1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-14, 09:22 PM   #70
lsberrios1 
Senior Member
 
lsberrios1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Atlanta GA
Bikes: '13 Spech Roubaix SL4 Expert
Posts: 2,469
Quote:
Originally Posted by aggst1 View Post
No, it is the greatest and most popular game in the world because of its simplicity. About 2/3 of the population on this planet follow it one way or another. Can't say the same about any other sport. Only Americans find it boring. If billions of people around the globe find it interesting and a couple hundred million people in the us find it boring (millions of folks in the us do like soccer especially foreign born citizens), what does that say about the latter? Simple, they don't like something they don't know. Humans always tend to dislike something unfamiliar. Instead they make fun of it because it elevates their ego, makes them feel better.... After all they are real 'mericans!
Agree with you. In a simpler way, two VERY common denominators make this sport way too popular. Country + ball = formula for soccer success. Most likely everybody in the world has kicked a ball once (balls nowadays are very accessible) and a lot of people come from countries so it's very easy to understand although it's a sport very hard to master.
__________________
Cat 6 going on PRO....
lsberrios1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-14, 09:24 PM   #71
aggst1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Bikes: 1996 Marinoni Leggero, 1978 Bianchi Superleggera, 1987 Nishiki Prestige, 2007 Specialized Rockhopper
Posts: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nachoman View Post
Define tougher, tough guy.
As in both cyclists and soccer players can sustain injuries and continue on equally, smart guy!
aggst1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-14, 09:25 PM   #72
halfspeed
Senior Member
 
halfspeed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: SE Minnesota
Bikes: are better than yours.
Posts: 12,276
Quote:
Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
That's just too awesome.

OP: Cycling and soccer / football are two sports where little guys can do well....Why do the soccer guys have much bigger pecs / arms / upper bodies?
You and other idiots: I don't like soccer....blah blah blah...Give it a rest.

You can't make this stuff up!

Honestly, as soon as you saw this thread was about football, why did you feel led to share with the world that you don't like the sport? What's your motivation? Who peed in your corn flakes?
Honestly, as soon as you saw this thread was about soccer, why did you feel led to share with the world that you think it's the greatest game in the world? What's your motivation? Are you somehow threatened by contrary opinions?
__________________
Telemachus has, indeed, sneezed.
halfspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-14, 09:29 PM   #73
aggst1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Bikes: 1996 Marinoni Leggero, 1978 Bianchi Superleggera, 1987 Nishiki Prestige, 2007 Specialized Rockhopper
Posts: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsberrios1 View Post
Agree with you. In a simpler way, two VERY common denominators make this sport way too popular. Country + ball = formula for soccer success. Most likely everybody in the world has kicked a ball once (balls nowadays are very accessible) and a lot of people come from countries so it's very easy to understand although it's a sport very hard to master.
Dont even need a real ball. In some countries, kids kick a coke can around in a play yard. I wouldn't call it harder to master than other sports. Hard to be a top level player, well yes. The same way it is hard to be the top quarterback etc...
aggst1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-14, 09:31 PM   #74
Mountain Mitch
Senior Member
 
Mountain Mitch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Back-of-beyond, Kootenays, BC
Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Expert Road and Specialized Stump Jumper FS Mountain
Posts: 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by aggst1 View Post
I hope you all realize why... The soccer player exaggerates an injury to gain a favorable call by the ref. The cyclist has no advantage whatsoever to do so. The average cyclist is not any tougher than the average soccer player.
So it's the sport that is BS not the player?

I really like soccer but I'm really getting pushed to the edge by all the crap calls and faking that is going on. I ended up losing interest in the World Cup as a result. Something needs to be done or it will lose all credibility.

Now biking has its own demons (Lance, where are you?) but at least the cheating that goes on in biking usually has the decency to hide off the road. May not be a big improvement but it helps a bit...and I think (hope) that there's a real effort to deal with it.
Mountain Mitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-14, 09:31 PM   #75
rousseau
Senior Member
 
rousseau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Southwestern Ontario
Bikes:
Posts: 2,602
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfspeed View Post
Honestly, as soon as you saw this thread was about soccer, why did you feel led to share with the world that you think it's the greatest game in the world? What's your motivation? Are you somehow threatened by contrary opinions?
Are you serious? Ha ha...this thread is just too much. In case you're not trolling, here's how it went:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoSoxYacht
If you are a straight man, why are you watching soccer in the first place?
Quote:
Originally Posted by rousseau
Because football is the greatest game in the world?
The idiots in this thread can go on and on about how football is "gay" and "boring," but I make one tiny comment in response to the most cretinous of the anti-football morons, and all of a sudden I'm a zealous football fanatic going around shoving it in people's faces, eh?

The stupid is powerful in this thread. And it just keeps on giving!
rousseau is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:33 AM.