Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 76 to 100 of 172
  1. #76
    Senior Member halfspeed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    SE Minnesota
    My Bikes
    are better than yours.
    Posts
    11,109
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
    Are you serious? Ha ha...this thread is just too much. In case you're not trolling, here's how it went:




    The idiots in this thread can go on and on about how football is "gay" and "boring," but I make one tiny comment in response to the most cretinous of the anti-football morons, and all of a sudden I'm a zealous football fanatic going around shoving it in people's faces, eh?

    The stupid is powerful in this thread. And it just keeps on giving!
    You have difficulty with humor, don't you?
    Telemachus has, indeed, sneezed.

  2. #77
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    My Bikes
    1996 Marinoni Leggero, 1978 Bianchi Superleggera, 1987 Nishiki Prestige, 2007 Specialized Rockhopper
    Posts
    121
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BoSoxYacht View Post
    When are you going to figure out that Americans will never care about what you have to say? You are Canadian, and your opinion means nothing to us.
    Opinions like this mean nothing to a lot of us Americans too...

  3. #78
    Beer >> Sanity bikerjp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Colorado
    My Bikes
    2014 Evo DA2, 2010 Caad9-4, 2011 Synapse-4, 2013 CaadX-disc
    Posts
    3,449
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
    Here's a suggestion to Americans who don't like football: Instead of opening your mouth and removing all doubt of your stupidity, why not keep it shut?
    To be fair, American's aren't stupid - humans are.
    Climbs like a stone, descends like two...

  4. #79
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    My Bikes
    2014 Giant Defy 1, Ancient Trek 820 Mt Bike.
    Posts
    23
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you look at track and field sprinters--I mean 100m, 200m, etc--pretty much all those guys and girls are stocky and muscular as hell, lower and upper. Sprinting involves A LOT of upper movement and power; I posit that this is the reason footballers are built similarly: lots of sprinting.

  5. #80
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    My Bikes
    1996 Marinoni Leggero, 1978 Bianchi Superleggera, 1987 Nishiki Prestige, 2007 Specialized Rockhopper
    Posts
    121
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Mitch View Post
    So it's the sport that is BS not the player?

    I really like soccer but I'm really getting pushed to the edge by all the crap calls and faking that is going on. I ended up losing interest in the World Cup as a result. Something needs to be done or it will lose all credibility.

    Now biking has its own demons (Lance, where are you?) but at least the cheating that goes on in biking usually has the decency to hide off the road. May not be a big improvement but it helps a bit...and I think (hope) that there's a real effort to deal with it.
    Actually this years WC had zero yellow/red cards for diving. In fact I can't say I saw one fake dive and I watched the majority of the games. People don't realize that players tackle each other constantly so they fall by design in order to go for the ball. Sometimes the timing is off and instead they clip the other player. Hits like that hurt like hell. I agree that sometimes the players exaggerate a bit, it is obvious. One reason is they try to get a favorable call and win the ball back. Another is simply they are out of breath and they stay on the ground 10 seconds extra to recover.

    Bad calls by the refs is a reality. IMHO only technology can help reduce bad calls. For example, Mexico had two goals taken away as offside calls when they played Brazil but the replays showed they were true goals. I would like to see a limited number of play reviewing by the fourth ref. he should be empowered to do much more than holding the stupid sign during player substitutions. FIFA however does not want to change the game at all. Heck it took them 20 years of discussions to install goal line technology...

  6. #81
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Oakmont, PA
    Posts
    125
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To join with a couple of other questioners, are footballers really the same height as cyclists? A couple of times I've stayed in hotels where pro soccer teams were staying, and I was surprised. I'm 6'4" and not many seemed shorter than me.

  7. #82
    Senior Member WhyFi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Got a castle in - er, Minneapolis, that's where I dwell!
    My Bikes
    2009 Jamis Xenith
    Posts
    9,346
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aggst1 View Post
    what does that say about the latter? Simple, they don't like something they don't know.
    Um, how to put this delicately? No.

    It's a wee bit illogical to say that we don't like it because we don't understand it while arguing under the premise that the beauty of the game lies in the simplicity of the game. Further, stating that it's something that we just don't know is a little silly when you consider the sport has been popular with young kids for decades. In fact, "soccer is really going to take off in the US with this next generation of kids," has probably been said about each of the last 3 or so generations. Nope, hasn't happened yet.

    Also, if you're going to take the "they don't like what they don't know" tack, the US is the LAST place where you would want to argue it. We've literally made sports out of watching sports - we're exposed to a *huge* variety of sports, yet the popularity of soccer still lags, comparatively. Who is more of a connoisseur - the person that's sampled a wide variety or the person that has access to relatively few choices? Your "they don't like what they don't know," argument works against your point, rather than for it, and demonstrates how silly it is to equate popularity with greatness.
    Quote Originally Posted by RollCNY View Post
    I would wager that not riding in Minnesota is just as fatiguing as not riding in New York.

  8. #83
    Senior Member lsberrios1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Atlanta GA
    My Bikes
    '13 Spech Roubaix SL4 Expert
    Posts
    2,000
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WhyFi View Post
    Um, how to put this delicately? No.

    It's a wee bit illogical to say that we don't like it because we don't understand it while arguing under the premise that the beauty of the game lies in the simplicity of the game. Further, stating that it's something that we just don't know is a little silly when you consider the sport has been popular with young kids for decades. In fact, "soccer is really going to take off in the US with this next generation of kids," has probably been said about each of the last 3 or so generations. Nope, hasn't happened yet.

    Also, if you're going to take the "they don't like what they don't know" tack, the US is the LAST place where you would want to argue it. We've literally made sports out of watching sports - we're exposed to a *huge* variety of sports, yet the popularity of soccer still lags, comparatively. Who is more of a connoisseur - the person that's sampled a wide variety or the person that has access to relatively few choices? Your "they don't like what they don't know," argument works against your point, rather than for it, and demonstrates how silly it is to equate popularity with greatness.
    To say Basketball is the hand version of soccer. That is why I don't like either sucker or basketball...
    Cat 6 going on PRO....

  9. #84
    Senior Member Mountain Mitch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Back-of-beyond, Kootenays, BC
    My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix Expert Road and Specialized Stump Jumper FS Mountain
    Posts
    213
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aggst1 View Post
    Actually this years WC had zero yellow/red cards for diving. In fact I can't say I saw one fake dive and I watched the majority of the games.
    Didja miss Robben admitting that he dove? Or the fact that magic spray or little rub made it all better as soon as the ref stopped paying attention to the boo-boo? The fact that there were no cards for it just highlights the problem. They HAVE to deal with it or the average fan is going to stop watching.

  10. #85
    Senior Member rousseau's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Southern Ontario
    Posts
    2,324
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WhyFi View Post
    Um, how to put this delicately? No.

    It's a wee bit illogical to say that we don't like it because we don't understand it while arguing under the premise that the beauty of the game lies in the simplicity of the game. Further, stating that it's something that we just don't know is a little silly when you consider the sport has been popular with young kids for decades. In fact, "soccer is really going to take off in the US with this next generation of kids," has probably been said about each of the last 3 or so generations. Nope, hasn't happened yet.

    Also, if you're going to take the "they don't like what they don't know" tack, the US is the LAST place where you would want to argue it. We've literally made sports out of watching sports - we're exposed to a *huge* variety of sports, yet the popularity of soccer still lags, comparatively. Who is more of a connoisseur - the person that's sampled a wide variety or the person that has access to relatively few choices? Your "they don't like what they don't know," argument works against your point, rather than for it, and demonstrates how silly it is to equate popularity with greatness.
    You're drawing an ignorant caricature of the rest of the world outside of North America as being full of saps too poor to play anything other than football. Not every football player/fan lives in the favela or sub-Saharan Africa. The rest of the world participates in and is exposed to just as wide a variety of sports as North Americans (if not the same sports), and yet the majority still prefer football over all.

    And you can flip your weak caricature on its head and claim that a lot of the African-American players in American sports leagues grow up without the opportunity to play very many sports, which is why they tend to be concentrated in the NFL, NBA and baseball.

    In the end you can't argue against personal preference. But if you had to use one metric to define the greatness of a sport, popularity would probably be the best one to use. And that obviously points to football.

    Which seems to bother a lot of Americans on this site who can't accept the merest mention of football/soccer without throwing a hissy fit. There's something weird going on with that. Seems like a sort of psychosis.
    The pleasure is momentary, the position ridiculous, and the expense damnable.

  11. #86
    don't misunderestimate me BoSoxYacht's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    take your time, enjoy the scenery, it will be there when you get to it
    My Bikes
    07 IRO BFGB fixed-gear, 07 Pedal Force RS
    Posts
    4,832
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    McDonalds is the most popular restaurant in the world, so their food must be great.

  12. #87
    Senior Member lsberrios1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Atlanta GA
    My Bikes
    '13 Spech Roubaix SL4 Expert
    Posts
    2,000
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nobody here wishes america had more soccer. Our biggest hissy fit is seeing how it has become one of the lamest sports in the world only second to wrestling. Soccer players nowadays are better off going to acting school rather than training. The sport has lost it's dignity and it's players are nothing but modern sex symbols that represent a mass of people. The sport is pure and requires a great deal of skill but the players are far from tough with very little sportsmanship.
    Cat 6 going on PRO....

  13. #88
    Senior Member rousseau's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Southern Ontario
    Posts
    2,324
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lsberrios1 View Post
    Nobody here wishes america had more soccer. Our biggest hissy fit is seeing how it has become one of the lamest sports in the world only second to wrestling. Soccer players nowadays are better off going to acting school rather than training. The sport has lost it's dignity and it's players are nothing but modern sex symbols that represent a mass of people. The sport is pure and requires a great deal of skill but the players are far from tough with very little sportsmanship.
    Such breathtaking ignorance. It's amazing.

    First of all, not all footballers dive. It's the Italians and the South Americans who are famous for diving. And certain other characters like Arjen Robben, whose own teammates have expressed displeasure with his histrionics. Did you see any diving by the Germans in the final? Or by most of the other teams? No.

    There was even that famous commercial making fun of the Italians for diving, fer chrissakes.



    Second of all, footballers not tough? That's just completely ridiculous. They run 10 km a game, and get smacked all over their legs by other footballers with powerful legs intent on getting to the ball first. That seriously bloody hurts. Every human being person who gets kicked anywhere in the legs is going to go down. Everyone. Watch some martial arts some time. That's what footballers are contending with all game, except that they have exponentially more power in their legs than martial arts practitioners.

    Third of all, you have to be taking the piss about sportsmanship. My gawd, that is a breathtaking thing to say. I mean, where to begin? When a player goes down and looks like he's staying down, the player with the ball will kick it out of bounds, and then the opposing team will send the free throw back down to the team who originally had the ball when play resumes. It's not in the rule book, and the referee doesn't enforce it. It's just a part of the tradition of the game. How often in the NBA or NFL do players help players on the opposing team up off the floor, or go to them and apologize for a rough play? Never. In football the referee will force two players to shake hands after an altercation. The game must proceed with the spirit of sportsmanship intact. When do you see that in North American sports?

    The ignorance in this thread is unbelievable. I mean, nobody cares if you don't like football, but at least get your facts straight.
    The pleasure is momentary, the position ridiculous, and the expense damnable.

  14. #89
    don't misunderestimate me BoSoxYacht's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    take your time, enjoy the scenery, it will be there when you get to it
    My Bikes
    07 IRO BFGB fixed-gear, 07 Pedal Force RS
    Posts
    4,832
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
    Such breathtaking ignorance. It's amazing.

    First of all, not all footballers dive. It's the Italians and the South Americans who are famous for diving. And certain other characters like Arjen Robben, whose own teammates have expressed displeasure with his histrionics. Did you see any diving by the Germans in the final? Or by most of the other teams? No.

    There was even that famous commercial making fun of the Italians for diving, fer chrissakes.



    Second of all, footballers not tough? That's just completely ridiculous. They run 10 km a game, and get smacked all over their legs by other footballers with powerful legs intent on getting to the ball first. That seriously bloody hurts. Every human being person who gets kicked anywhere in the legs is going to go down. Everyone. Watch some martial arts some time. That's what footballers are contending with all game, except that they have exponentially more power in their legs than martial arts practitioners.

    Third of all, you have to be taking the piss about sportsmanship. My gawd, that is a breathtaking thing to say. I mean, where to begin? When a player goes down and looks like he's staying down, the player with the ball will kick it out of bounds, and then the opposing team will send the free throw back down to the team who originally had the ball when play resumes. It's not in the rule book, and the referee doesn't enforce it. It's just a part of the tradition of the game. How often in the NBA or NFL do players help players on the opposing team up off the floor, or go to them and apologize for a rough play? Never. In football the referee will force two players to shake hands after an altercation. The game must proceed with the spirit of sportsmanship intact. When do you see that in North American sports?

    The ignorance in this thread is unbelievable. I mean, nobody cares if you don't like football, but at least get your facts straight.
    the ignorance in your post is quite believable.

    It's obvious that you don't watch NFL games very often, because opponents helping each other up after tackles is common.

    BTW forcing players to shake hands is not proof of good sportsmanship.

  15. #90
    Still can't climb
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Limey in Taiwan
    Posts
    20,505
    Mentioned
    363 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    my wife is no racist....

    but she blames the italians for all the diving.
    coasting, few quotes are worthy of him, and of those, even fewer printable in a family forum......quote 3alarmer

  16. #91
    don't misunderestimate me BoSoxYacht's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    take your time, enjoy the scenery, it will be there when you get to it
    My Bikes
    07 IRO BFGB fixed-gear, 07 Pedal Force RS
    Posts
    4,832
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by coasting View Post
    my wife is no racist....

    but she blames the italians for all the diving.
    last time I checked, Italian is a nationality, not a race of people.

  17. #92
    Still can't climb
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Limey in Taiwan
    Posts
    20,505
    Mentioned
    363 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    they still dive a lot.
    coasting, few quotes are worthy of him, and of those, even fewer printable in a family forum......quote 3alarmer

  18. #93
    Senior Member WHOOOSSHHH...'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    RVA
    Posts
    6,136
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bruce19 View Post
    Don't confuse body type with toughness. Toughness can come in all body types.
    I trained Marines at Parris Island..you are 100% correct! Never judge toughness using the eyeball test.

  19. #94
    don't misunderestimate me BoSoxYacht's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    take your time, enjoy the scenery, it will be there when you get to it
    My Bikes
    07 IRO BFGB fixed-gear, 07 Pedal Force RS
    Posts
    4,832
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by coasting View Post
    they still dive a lot.
    It's part of the beautiful game


  20. #95
    Senior Member GhostSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Hawaii
    My Bikes
    2012 Switch Performance BlackSkin LE Urban, 2014 Retrospec Mantra, 2013 Leader 725, '93 Giant Allegre
    Posts
    244
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Americans already follow baseball, which is boring enough without having to keep up with soccer on top of that.

    All kidding aside, yeah cyclist don't have the most attractive physique but they are certainly athletic. Look at some Lighter division boxers for example, they don't look ripped either but I bet neither a cyclist or soccer player could last 12 rounds punching much less having someone punch them in the face back.





    Like said on the previous page, looks aren't an indicator of toughness or athleticism.
    Last edited by GhostSS; 07-16-14 at 03:53 AM.

  21. #96
    Senior Member bruce19's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Lebanon (Liberty Hill), CT
    My Bikes
    MASI Gran Criterium S & Guru steel
    Posts
    3,075
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WHOOOSSHHH... View Post
    I trained Marines at Parris Island..you are 100% correct! Never judge toughness using the eyeball test.
    The human spirit is an amazing thing isn't it? Sometimes people don't even know they have it until they are tested. Despite all my years of football, baseball,etc. it has been cycling that has taught me to suffer, overcome and be, in some sense, a "warrior." I wasn't expecting to discover that part of me in my 60's. Just one more thing you can learn through cycling.

  22. #97
    Senior Member WhyFi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Got a castle in - er, Minneapolis, that's where I dwell!
    My Bikes
    2009 Jamis Xenith
    Posts
    9,346
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
    You're drawing an ignorant caricature of the rest of the world outside of North America as being full of saps too poor to play anything other than football.
    I take it you missed the part where I didn't introduce those points and was using them against the guy that did? If you have a problem with the "ignorant caricature," take it up with your soccer bro.

    Quote Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
    And you can flip your weak caricature on its head and claim that a lot of the African-American players in American sports leagues grow up without the opportunity to play very many sports, which is why they tend to be concentrated in the NFL, NBA and baseball.
    No, actually you can't.

    Quote Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
    In the end you can't argue against personal preference.
    Then why have you spent much of the thread doing so?

    Quote Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
    But if you had to use one metric to define the greatness of a sport, popularity would probably be the best one to use.
    Nonsense.

    Quote Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
    Which seems to bother a lot of Americans on this site who can't accept the merest mention of football/soccer without throwing a hissy fit. There's something weird going on with that. Seems like a sort of psychosis.
    Hissy fit? Seems to me that most of the verbal flailing about is coming from those arguing the point of "soccer is the greatest sport in the world," where as the rest of the folks are expressing a rather non-emotional, "nah - you can keep it," stance. It's funny, though, that you're accusing us of going emotionally overboard about a sport that Americans can't find a reason to become emotionally invested in (despite decades of exposure from an early age).
    Quote Originally Posted by RollCNY View Post
    I would wager that not riding in Minnesota is just as fatiguing as not riding in New York.

  23. #98
    Senior Member rousseau's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Southern Ontario
    Posts
    2,324
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WhyFi View Post
    Hissy fit? Seems to me that most of the verbal flailing about is coming from those arguing the point of "soccer is the greatest sport in the world," where as the rest of the folks are expressing a rather non-emotional, "nah - you can keep it," stance. It's funny, though, that you're accusing us of going emotionally overboard about a sport that Americans can't find a reason to become emotionally invested in (despite decades of exposure from an early age).
    I'm not "accusing" you of going emotionally overboard. You are.

    Every single time football is mentioned, every single time, no matter what the context, Americans line up to declare how much they don't like it. This thread was a question about the difference in body types between footballers and cyclists. And what is your response to the question?

    "I don't like football. Stop trying to shove football down our throats."

    Over and over again. Ad nauseum. You have a psychological problem about football. I have a suggestion: When someone talks about some aspect of football in a thread on a discussion forum on the internet? A game you hate?

    Ignore it. This is obviously not a discussion forum dedicated to football, so the footie stuff will go away.

    If that doesn't do the trick, watch some NASCAR with a Happy Meal and a bag of Doritos. If that still doesn't solve the problem, seek help.
    The pleasure is momentary, the position ridiculous, and the expense damnable.

  24. #99
    Free Velo Vol! Velo Vol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    My Bikes
    Velo Volmobile
    Posts
    19,854
    Mentioned
    184 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lsberrios1 View Post
    To say Basketball is the hand version of soccer. That is why I don't like either sucker or basketball...
    wut

  25. #100
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    UK
    My Bikes
    Ventura CP50. It's not too bad.
    Posts
    9
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some cyclists stand at 6.3 and way just 10.9 st. Cyclists on average are very skinny, the all rounder riders anyway, they don't work on core strength because they don't need to, but footballers, like any athlete who plays in a contact sport has to develop their core strength.
    A cycle a day keeps the doctor away.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •