Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
Results 101 to 125 of 172
  1. #101
    Senior Member RPK79's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    SE MN
    My Bikes
    Fuji Roubaix Pro
    Posts
    3,785
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Soccer fans sure are passionate about a silly game.

  2. #102
    Senior Member RPK79's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    SE MN
    My Bikes
    Fuji Roubaix Pro
    Posts
    3,785
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Just_Ride View Post
    Some cyclists stand at 6.3 and way just 10.9 st. Cyclists on average are very skinny, the all rounder riders anyway, they don't work on core strength because they don't need to, but footballers, like any athlete who plays in a contact sport has to develop their core strength.
    Core strength is actually very important for cyclists when it comes to endurance.

  3. #103
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    UK
    My Bikes
    Ventura CP50. It's not too bad.
    Posts
    9
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RPK79 View Post
    Core strength is actually very important for cyclists when it comes to endurance.
    Google Image Result for

    Clearly not that much.
    A cycle a day keeps the doctor away.

  4. #104
    Senior Member RPK79's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    SE MN
    My Bikes
    Fuji Roubaix Pro
    Posts
    3,785
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Just_Ride View Post
    Google Image Result for

    Clearly not that much.
    You can have a strong core without it being massive.

  5. #105
    Senior Member ISPringle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Connecticut
    My Bikes
    Trek MTB, Fit Bike Co. Mac 3, Shogun 100
    Posts
    72
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the comment that it may have something to do with image is close to the answer.

    My friends on our D1 soccer team at school are pretty scrawny/lanky and a few of them also ride. Maybe the guys who get paid to play are more developed because a part of their money comes from sponsorships, which require that they look good so that women like your wife buy their products.

  6. #106
    Senior Member halfspeed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    SE Minnesota
    My Bikes
    are better than yours.
    Posts
    11,063
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
    I'm not "accusing" you of going emotionally overboard. You are.
    Take a deep breath, Frenchy. When your argument devolves to "You are", you aren't winning any points any more.

    Every single time football is mentioned, every single time, no matter what the context, Americans line up to declare how much they don't like it. This thread was a question about the difference in body types between footballers and cyclists. And what is your response to the question?

    "I don't like football. Stop trying to shove football down our throats."
    Actually, the response was some mild humor at the expense of soccer, followed by absurd statements and worlds of drama from you.

    Over and over again. Ad nauseum. You have a psychological problem about football. I have a suggestion: When someone talks about some aspect of football in a thread on a discussion forum on the internet? A game you hate?

    Ignore it. This is obviously not a discussion forum dedicated to football, so the footie stuff will go away.
    Point taken. Now here's a suggestion for you: Don't get bent out of shape over a joke. If you don't like the fact that Americans find grownups obsessed with soccer funny, then you might want to pass on soccer threads on English speaking forums dominated by Americans.

    If that doesn't do the trick, watch some NASCAR with a Happy Meal and a bag of Doritos. If that still doesn't solve the problem, seek help.
    Tsk, tsk, such condescension doesn't look good at all. Not at all.
    Telemachus has, indeed, sneezed.

  7. #107
    Senior Member WhyFi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Got a castle in - er, Minneapolis, that's where I dwell!
    My Bikes
    2009 Jamis Xenith
    Posts
    9,294
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by halfspeed View Post
    Take a deep breath, Frenchy. When your argument devolves to "You are", you aren't winning any points any more.
    "Any more"? Pfft. Now he's going to think that he's actually won a point or two which, because he's a soccer fan, he'll interpret as a scoring extravaganza in a landslide victory. Ugh.
    Quote Originally Posted by RollCNY View Post
    I would wager that not riding in Minnesota is just as fatiguing as not riding in New York.

  8. #108
    Beer >> Sanity bikerjp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Colorado
    My Bikes
    2014 Evo DA2, 2010 Caad9-4, 2011 Synapse-4, 2013 CaadX-disc
    Posts
    3,449
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rousseau View Post

    Every single time football is mentioned, every single time, no matter what the context, Americans line up to declare how much they don't like it. This thread was a question about the difference in body types between footballers and cyclists. And what is your response to the question?
    Not sure why I keep reading this thread. Maybe the argument is entertaining. However, I'd like to point out that it seems the football (to use the preferred term) fans are the ones going ape s--t over any perceived criticism of their sport. Why do you even care what people think? It's just a sport. It's not like it's really all that important in the grand scheme of things. If I say I think knitting is boring I wonder if all the knitters will freak out and start talking about how knitting is some zen form of art and those who don't get it are just ignorant. To be honest, I kind of like football and will happily watch it, but in general I don't follow it nor really care.

    Maybe it would be good to just log off for while and go start a riot - I think your team lost.
    Climbs like a stone, descends like two...

  9. #109
    Senior Member RPK79's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    SE MN
    My Bikes
    Fuji Roubaix Pro
    Posts
    3,785
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerjp View Post
    Not sure why I keep reading this thread. Maybe the argument is entertaining. However, I'd like to point out that it seems the football (to use the preferred term) fans are the ones going ape s--t over any perceived criticism of their sport. Why do you even care what people think? It's just a sport. It's not like it's really all that important in the grand scheme of things. If I say I think knitting is boring I wonder if all the knitters will freak out and start talking about how knitting is some zen form of art and those who don't get it are just ignorant. To be honest, I kind of like football and will happily watch it, but in general I don't follow it nor really care.

    Maybe it would be good to just log off for while and go start a riot - I think your team lost.

  10. #110
    Senior Member lsberrios1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Atlanta GA
    My Bikes
    '13 Spech Roubaix SL4 Expert
    Posts
    2,001
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Just_Ride View Post
    Google Image Result for

    Clearly not that much.
    Power to weight is key. They probably have more power relative to their weight vs any other dude in sports. Put them on a boxing match and pure power will most likely win though.
    Cat 6 going on PRO....

  11. #111
    Beer >> Sanity bikerjp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Colorado
    My Bikes
    2014 Evo DA2, 2010 Caad9-4, 2011 Synapse-4, 2013 CaadX-disc
    Posts
    3,449
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RPK79 View Post
    I don't get it.
    Climbs like a stone, descends like two...

  12. #112
    Senior Member RPK79's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    SE MN
    My Bikes
    Fuji Roubaix Pro
    Posts
    3,785
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerjp View Post
    I don't get it.
    ...angry knitting fan.

  13. #113
    Beer >> Sanity bikerjp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Colorado
    My Bikes
    2014 Evo DA2, 2010 Caad9-4, 2011 Synapse-4, 2013 CaadX-disc
    Posts
    3,449
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RPK79 View Post
    ...angry knitting fan.
    Ah, I thought the dolls were supposed to be football fans or something ready to do battle over whose team is better.

    Those rambunctious knitters. So I did anger one. Better don flame suit.
    Climbs like a stone, descends like two...

  14. #114
    Senior Member halfspeed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    SE Minnesota
    My Bikes
    are better than yours.
    Posts
    11,063
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerjp View Post
    Ah, I thought the dolls were supposed to be football fans or something ready to do battle over whose team is better.

    Those rambunctious knitters. So I did anger one. Better don flame suit.
    It's a bit strange. It doesn't take much of a search to find people "hating on" football, baseball, or other American ball sports in this forum and nobody gets bent out of shape. Make a joke about soccer and based on the response from soccer fans you'd think someone was cat juggling.
    Telemachus has, indeed, sneezed.

  15. #115
    Senior Member GhostSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Hawaii
    My Bikes
    2012 Switch Performance BlackSkin LE Urban, 2014 Retrospec Mantra, 2013 Leader 725, '93 Giant Allegre
    Posts
    239
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    rousseau is infamous for America bashing, almost all of his posts that I can remember involve trolling in one way or another. Just let him be, we aren't going to change his mind regardless of well thought out responses or reciprocated mud slinging.

  16. #116
    Senior Member mustang1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    London, UK
    My Bikes
    2006 Allez, 2012 Mares
    Posts
    2,683
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cyclists look like stick insects.
    1992 Peugeot mtb, gone
    2006 Specialized Allez
    2008 Specialized HotWalk, son's bike
    2009 Specialized Tricross, gone
    2010 Ridgeback Honey, daughter's bike
    2012 Islabikes Beinn, daughter's 2nd bike
    2012 Focus Mares
    2012 Cannondale SuperSix

  17. #117
    Super Moderator BillyD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Hudson Valley, NY
    My Bikes
    Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92; Schwinn Continental '76.
    Posts
    12,125
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lsberrios1 View Post
    Power to weight is key. They probably have more power relative to their weight vs any other dude in sports.
    Who, cyclists? Please don't say cyclists.
    Where else but the internet can a bunch of cyclists go and be the tough guy? - - jdon
    Titanium Division

  18. #118
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    84
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rousseau View Post


    In the end you can't argue against personal preference. But if you had to use one metric to define the greatness of a sport, popularity would probably be the best one to use. And that obviously points to football.
    More people in the world play table tennis than play soccer, so therefore table tennis is more "popular" than soccer. And much more exciting as well.

  19. #119
    Senior Member lsberrios1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Atlanta GA
    My Bikes
    '13 Spech Roubaix SL4 Expert
    Posts
    2,001
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyD View Post
    Who, cyclists? Please don't say cyclists.
    Curlers
    Cat 6 going on PRO....

  20. #120
    Senior Member halfspeed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    SE Minnesota
    My Bikes
    are better than yours.
    Posts
    11,063
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kini62 View Post
    More people in the world play table tennis than play soccer, so therefore table tennis is more "popular" than soccer. And much more exciting as well.
    What I'd really like to see on TV is Irish Hurling. THAT is an insane (and entertaining) sport.

    Last edited by halfspeed; 07-16-14 at 05:16 PM.
    Telemachus has, indeed, sneezed.

  21. #121
    Senior Member halfspeed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    SE Minnesota
    My Bikes
    are better than yours.
    Posts
    11,063
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RPK79 View Post
    ...angry knitting fan.
    There's laughter behind that scowl.
    Telemachus has, indeed, sneezed.

  22. #122
    covered in cat fur katsrevenge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Willkes-Barre, PA
    My Bikes
    '85 Schwinn World Tourist, 2014 Windsor Kensington 8
    Posts
    386
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lanterne Rogue View Post
    Cycling and soccer / football are two sports where little guys can do well. They also are two sports that require (relatively) little upper body strength. Watching the World Cup made me wonder: Why do the soccer guys have much bigger pecs / arms / upper bodies?

    I am a straight man, but my wife always wanted to watch the end of World Cup matches just to see the jerseys come off. She has never been interested in seeing jerseys come off at the end of the TDF. Wouldn't the extra weight of a developed upper body hurt the explosive speed of a soccer player just as much as a cyclist? Is it just the culture of the sport, or is there a better reason why so many cyclists look like the guys who get sand kicked on them at the beach?
    I played soccer in HS. I was generally rear guard, sometimes mid-field. Can't speak for world class soccer... but in the games I played in it was pretty full body contact. It wasn't unheard of to have been slammed into at a dead run two or three times per game. I'm short and stocky. I wasn't the one who fell.

    And, those World Cup players pretty much are the spitting image of what most women find attractive, body-wise. Muscular, but not overly so, some body fat and can run for miles. My poor guy had to deal with all the pretty men of soccer on my FB feed (and most females he- and for that matter I- know) for weeks.

    ... I will miss them.

    Cycalists are in Spandex (not flattering well cut uniforms) and are rather scrawny looking in comparison. And, I don't think they kiss each other after winning a race.
    Just one of those dirty pinko commies some people worry about.

  23. #123
    Senior Member THSdrummer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Missouri
    My Bikes
    '12 CAAD10 3, '88 Raleigh Talon
    Posts
    643
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TrojanHorse View Post
    You guys are crazy... cyclists look like concentration camp survivors with their shirts off. I wouldn't pick a cyclist in a boxing match unless the opponent was a 9 year old girl.

    I wouldn't even wager on that unless it was an 8 year old girl.

    Wait, climber or rouleur?
    -THSdrummer
    Saving for: -
    Current Rides: 2012 Cannondale CAAD10 3
    1988 Raleigh Talon (my dad's)
    Cycling Fan - NCAA DII Runner - Looking to finally join the cycling community

  24. #124
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Incheon, South Korea
    My Bikes
    Nothing amazing... cheap old 21 speed mtb
    Posts
    2,584
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aggst1 View Post
    No, it is the greatest and most popular game in the world because of its simplicity. About 2/3 of the population on this planet follow it one way or another. Can't say the same about any other sport. Only Americans find it boring. If billions of people around the globe find it interesting and a couple hundred million people in the us find it boring (millions of folks in the us do like soccer especially foreign born citizens), what does that say about the latter? Simple, they don't like something they don't know. Humans always tend to dislike something unfamiliar. Instead they make fun of it because it elevates their ego, makes them feel better.... After all they are real 'mericans!
    I'm not American. I even played soccer as a kid and I have to say.... bar test cricket its the most boring game ever to watch. I don't mind playing it but watching it? No thanks.

  25. #125
    Senior Member patrickgm60's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Northern CA
    Posts
    292
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RPK79 View Post
    Ah, the angry knitting fan. Man, that's a group you do not want to pi** off. She looks like she could, uh, unravel, at any time.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •