Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
Results 126 to 150 of 172
  1. #126
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Incheon, South Korea
    My Bikes
    Nothing amazing... cheap old 21 speed mtb
    Posts
    2,590
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mustang1 View Post
    Cyclists look like stick insects.
    The pros do anyway. My wife tells me off for looking too thin but I'm nopthing compared to them.

  2. #127
    covered in cat fur katsrevenge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Willkes-Barre, PA
    My Bikes
    '85 Schwinn World Tourist, 2014 Windsor Kensington 8
    Posts
    386
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerjp View Post
    Not sure why I keep reading this thread. Maybe the argument is entertaining. However, I'd like to point out that it seems the football (to use the preferred term) fans are the ones going ape s--t over any perceived criticism of their sport. Why do you even care what people think? It's just a sport. It's not like it's really all that important in the grand scheme of things. If I say I think knitting is boring I wonder if all the knitters will freak out and start talking about how knitting is some zen form of art and those who don't get it are just ignorant. To be honest, I kind of like football and will happily watch it, but in general I don't follow it nor really care.

    Maybe it would be good to just log off for while and go start a riot - I think your team lost.
    Never anger a knitter. Those sticks we carry are quite sharp and the yarn makes for a fine garrote.

    That said, most fiber-loving folks don't mind if you aren't into their obsession. More yarn for me, I mean, them.
    Just one of those dirty pinko commies some people worry about.

  3. #128
    Senior Member halfspeed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    SE Minnesota
    My Bikes
    are better than yours.
    Posts
    11,109
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GhostSS View Post
    rousseau is infamous for America bashing, almost all of his posts that I can remember involve trolling in one way or another. Just let him be, we aren't going to change his mind regardless of well thought out responses or reciprocated mud slinging.
    Are you kidding? He's quite entertaining when he gets wound up!
    Telemachus has, indeed, sneezed.

  4. #129
    Senior Member mrodgers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Western PA
    My Bikes
    2014 Giant Escape 1, Junk Walmart Job - Mongoose DXR mountain bike
    Posts
    899
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerjp View Post
    Football players seem to have really delicate bodies and low pain thresholds. They are constantly getting hurt and writhing in pain. Pro cyclists crash and jump back on the bike without blinking and even ride with broken bones and concussions. In a boxing match between the two I'd bet on the cyclist every time, but they do often look pathetic with their jersey off (and sometimes even on).
    After watching some of the tour de france, I think this is quite true. I've never watched cycle racing before. I was amazed at some of the pileups and twisting and bouncing bodies just to jump up and grab the bike and take off again.

    Quote Originally Posted by lsberrios1 View Post
    As a hockey fan, this reminds me of the Alexander Semin's fight that went around youtube a while back. Hillarious.

    An embarrassment to hocky fights right here, LOL...

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujv_sls5rjg
    Ride no faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!

  5. #130
    Senior Member lsberrios1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Atlanta GA
    My Bikes
    '13 Spech Roubaix SL4 Expert
    Posts
    2,000
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The more i think about it the more i think futbol players are full of crap. I've had 3 motorcycle accidents, one at 70mph in which i slid and tumbled into a ditch and another one when i t-boned a car and flew over it at 35mph onto concrete about 15 feet later. Both accidents i got up instantly and walked away. Granted the car one i had to sit down after but i dont thing hitting the grass at 20mph is the same as hitting a non moving car at 36mph with the momentum of a motorcycle. This doesnt apply to me solely, i've seen many in my motorcycling days.
    Cat 6 going on PRO....

  6. #131
    Senior Member bruce19's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Lebanon (Liberty Hill), CT
    My Bikes
    MASI Gran Criterium S & Guru steel
    Posts
    3,075
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lsberrios1 View Post
    The more i think about it the more i think futbol players are full of crap. I've had 3 motorcycle accidents, one at 70mph in which i slid and tumbled into a ditch and another one when i t-boned a car and flew over it at 35mph onto concrete about 15 feet later. Both accidents i got up instantly and walked away. Granted the car one i had to sit down after but i dont thing hitting the grass at 20mph is the same as hitting a non moving car at 36mph with the momentum of a motorcycle. This doesnt apply to me solely, i've seen many in my motorcycling days.
    Well as someone who totalled a Triumph on the BRP (3 broken ribs) and, as you know, crashed on my Masi and ended up with a C1-C2 fusion I can say that **** hurts like hell. Both after the age of 60 btw. Playing football in college I fractured an ankle then played three games with it just taped up thanks to the coach who lied and told me I had a sprained ankle. I was the starting QB and he didn't want me out. That hurt like hell too. The only thing I can say for the futbol guys is they don't really have any protective gear. OTOH some of that rolling around and moaning is pretty pathetic. Maybe someone should send them a vid of Contador trying to ride with a broken leg.

  7. #132
    Free Velo Vol! Velo Vol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    My Bikes
    Velo Volmobile
    Posts
    19,854
    Mentioned
    184 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bruce19 View Post
    OTOH some of that rolling around and moaning is pretty pathetic.
    Some of it?

  8. #133
    Senior Member lsberrios1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Atlanta GA
    My Bikes
    '13 Spech Roubaix SL4 Expert
    Posts
    2,000
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bruce19 View Post
    Well as someone who totalled a Triumph on the BRP (3 broken ribs) and, as you know, crashed on my Masi and ended up with a C1-C2 fusion I can say that **** hurts like hell. Both after the age of 60 btw. Playing football in college I fractured an ankle then played three games with it just taped up thanks to the coach who lied and told me I had a sprained ankle. I was the starting QB and he didn't want me out. That hurt like hell too. The only thing I can say for the futbol guys is they don't really have any protective gear. OTOH some of that rolling around and moaning is pretty pathetic. Maybe someone should send them a vid of Contador trying to ride with a broken leg.
    Yeah that C1-C2 Fusion makes me think twice about racing bikes. I remember you describing the pain and it was vivid enough to make me cringe.
    Cat 6 going on PRO....

  9. #134
    Still on training wheels
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    NNJ
    My Bikes
    CAAD 10
    Posts
    34
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you talk about boring, baseball takes the cake!

    Football (soccer) isn't popular in the US because of the lack of coverage from the major broadcast stations. The lack of commercials doesn't make it profitable in the US business model.

  10. #135
    don't misunderestimate me BoSoxYacht's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    take your time, enjoy the scenery, it will be there when you get to it
    My Bikes
    07 IRO BFGB fixed-gear, 07 Pedal Force RS
    Posts
    4,832
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lsberrios1 View Post
    Yeah that C1-C2 Fusion makes me think twice about racing bikes. I remember you describing the pain and it was vivid enough to make me cringe.
    I broke C1, C2, and C3 while descending at about 48mph. After I became conscious the only pain I had was from the road rash.

  11. #136
    don't misunderestimate me BoSoxYacht's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    take your time, enjoy the scenery, it will be there when you get to it
    My Bikes
    07 IRO BFGB fixed-gear, 07 Pedal Force RS
    Posts
    4,832
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by iLuveketchup View Post
    If you talk about boring, baseball takes the cake!

    Football (soccer) isn't popular in the US because of the lack of coverage from the major broadcast stations. The lack of commercials doesn't make it profitable in the US business model.
    there's plenty of advertising in soccer(all over the field and uniforms), but nobody watches the sport here so we'll never see the advertisements.

  12. #137
    Senior Member WhyFi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Got a castle in - er, Minneapolis, that's where I dwell!
    My Bikes
    2009 Jamis Xenith
    Posts
    9,346
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BoSoxYacht View Post
    there's plenty of advertising in soccer(all over the field and uniforms), but nobody watches the sport here so we'll never see the advertisements.
    Correct. Saying that it doesn't work well with commercials is putting the cart before the horse.
    Quote Originally Posted by RollCNY View Post
    I would wager that not riding in Minnesota is just as fatiguing as not riding in New York.

  13. #138
    Senior Member mrodgers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Western PA
    My Bikes
    2014 Giant Escape 1, Junk Walmart Job - Mongoose DXR mountain bike
    Posts
    899
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by iLuveketchup View Post
    If you talk about boring, baseball takes the cake!

    Football (soccer) isn't popular in the US because of the lack of coverage from the major broadcast stations. The lack of commercials doesn't make it profitable in the US business model.
    The commercials lack because there is not coverage. Soccer lacks coverage from the major broadcast stations because it isn't popular in the US. I think you wrote it wrong. If it was popular, it would be all over the broadcast stations and the advertisers would be all over getting their spot.
    Ride no faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!

  14. #139
    A might bewildered... Dudelsack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Loovul
    My Bikes
    Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires
    Posts
    6,290
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gl98115 View Post
    This thread is epic, which means it is one whine away from being locked.

    Who is the cyclist in this picture? It's an awesome photo.

  15. #140
    Senior Member bruce19's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Lebanon (Liberty Hill), CT
    My Bikes
    MASI Gran Criterium S & Guru steel
    Posts
    3,075
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BoSoxYacht View Post
    I broke C1, C2, and C3 while descending at about 48mph. After I became conscious the only pain I had was from the road rash.
    I totally trashed C2 and fractured three others. I didn't feel pain either until after the first ( 5 hr.) operation. The follow up operation (4 hr.) sucked just as bad. FWIW I also chipped two teeth and managed to put them through my lower lip, had 1 1/2 hr. surgery to repair my nose, about 5 stitches in my hand, and a couple other little "hurts."

  16. #141
    Senior Member bruce19's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Lebanon (Liberty Hill), CT
    My Bikes
    MASI Gran Criterium S & Guru steel
    Posts
    3,075
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Velo Vol View Post
    Some of it?
    I thought Neymar was pretty legit, no?

  17. #142
    don't misunderestimate me BoSoxYacht's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    take your time, enjoy the scenery, it will be there when you get to it
    My Bikes
    07 IRO BFGB fixed-gear, 07 Pedal Force RS
    Posts
    4,832
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bruce19 View Post
    I totally trashed C2 and fractured three others. I didn't feel pain either until after the first ( 5 hr.) operation. The follow up operation (4 hr.) sucked just as bad. FWIW I also chipped two teeth and managed to put them through my lower lip, had 1 1/2 hr. surgery to repair my nose, about 5 stitches in my hand, and a couple other little "hurts."
    I was pretty lucky and only needed to wear the halo for 7 weeks, and an Aspen neck brace for another 5 weeks.

  18. #143
    Senior Member bruce19's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Lebanon (Liberty Hill), CT
    My Bikes
    MASI Gran Criterium S & Guru steel
    Posts
    3,075
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BoSoxYacht View Post
    I was pretty lucky and only needed to wear the halo for 7 weeks, and an Aspen neck brace for another 5 weeks.
    Isn't it fun trying to sleep?

  19. #144
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    UK
    My Bikes
    Ventura CP50. It's not too bad.
    Posts
    9
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lsberrios1 View Post
    Power to weight is key. They probably have more power relative to their weight vs any other dude in sports. Put them on a boxing match and pure power will most likely win though.
    The guy who knows how to box would win.
    A cycle a day keeps the doctor away.

  20. #145
    don't misunderestimate me BoSoxYacht's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    take your time, enjoy the scenery, it will be there when you get to it
    My Bikes
    07 IRO BFGB fixed-gear, 07 Pedal Force RS
    Posts
    4,832
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bruce19 View Post
    Isn't it fun trying to sleep?
    Imagine living on a 30ft boat with a 5'6" tall shower/head.

  21. #146
    Senior Member bruce19's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Lebanon (Liberty Hill), CT
    My Bikes
    MASI Gran Criterium S & Guru steel
    Posts
    3,075
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BoSoxYacht View Post
    Imagine living on a 30ft boat with a 5'6" tall shower/head.
    Clearly you are self abusive.

  22. #147
    Senior Member lsberrios1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Atlanta GA
    My Bikes
    '13 Spech Roubaix SL4 Expert
    Posts
    2,000
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think this explains the nature of soccer to a T...

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMK74OX63sU
    Cat 6 going on PRO....

  23. #148
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    7
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dudelsack View Post
    This thread is epic, which means it is one whine away from being locked.

    Who is the cyclist in this picture? It's an awesome photo.
    It is Adriano Malori at the 2014 Giro di Italia.

  24. #149
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    My Bikes
    1996 Marinoni Leggero, 1978 Bianchi Superleggera, 1987 Nishiki Prestige, 2007 Specialized Rockhopper
    Posts
    121
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lsberrios1 View Post
    I think this explains the nature of soccer to a T...

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMK74OX63sU
    Not really. That nature fits better with american football. Let's think... Wearing tights, bend over, having a QB sniffing their backs...

  25. #150
    don't misunderestimate me BoSoxYacht's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    take your time, enjoy the scenery, it will be there when you get to it
    My Bikes
    07 IRO BFGB fixed-gear, 07 Pedal Force RS
    Posts
    4,832
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aggst1 View Post
    having a QB sniffing their backs...
    you really have no idea WTF you are talking about do you?

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •