Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1
    Senior Member awfulwaffle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Glendale, WI
    My Bikes
    Franken-mountain bike, 2013 Gravity Liberty 3, 1990 Cannondale ST400
    Posts
    469
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    What the crap did I just buy? (Titanium frame content)

    Hiya folks,

    So a while back I discovered that, potentially from a standing-on-the-trainer related fault of my own, the rear triangle on my road frame was wonked to the NDS by about 3mm. Still tracked just fine, but I figured I'd take the opportunity to shop around and see what I could find in the way of a frame in my size. I stumbled across a Ti frame on the eBays, which the seller claimed was made by the same contractor to whom many manufacturers sourced their Ti frames. He called them Performance Sports, but to me this description says TST. I waited for the frame to relist and drop to a price that I was comfortable paying, and made my move.

    Now, I'm hoping someone might recognize it and help identify exactly what it is. Considered contacting TST directly, but thought I'd ask here first. I'm no expert in these things, but the welds look like they may be a bit under par relative to what I've seen on TST frames on the web (though I really have no idea what they should look like on a titanium frame, and they're leaps and bounds ahead of the ones on my China special aluminum frame), and I haven't found one with a brake bridge like the one mine's got either. The look of the metal is consistent with what I've seen on titanium frames, and I may have the option of contacting one of the other labs at work to have the alloy checked out. Anyways, the pics:


















    Thanks for any insight!

  2. #2
    Slogging along rubic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    San Fernando Valley, SoCal
    My Bikes
    Cannondale Synapse '06, Mongoose titanium road bike '00--my commuter. Yes, Mongoose once made a decent ti road bike.
    Posts
    1,130
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't recognize the manufacturer. However, the standard tubes will assure you that your frame will behave like a noodle on those downhill canyon curves.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    6,615
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The welds look okay. The surface finish is a lite rough though.
    Robert

    "Wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then." (Bob Seger, "Against the Wind")

  4. #4
    Senior Member awfulwaffle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Glendale, WI
    My Bikes
    Franken-mountain bike, 2013 Gravity Liberty 3, 1990 Cannondale ST400
    Posts
    469
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @rubic Thankfully, there's nothing that resembles a canyon round these parts, then Seriously though, is it that bad? I read into the characteristics of titanium before making the purchase and did see some discussion regarding how different cross-section tubes will affect it, but came to the conclusion that it'd still be better than what I've been riding. I do a fair share of out of the saddle efforts, and realize that it will be "springy", but I'd also read about the fact that the energy loss from such a frame is usually overstated. I guess I'll have to see for myself.

    @rpenmanparker Is that to say they're in keeping with what you've seen on TST frames? As for the finish, this frame has certainly seen some use. I just caved and paid the LBS to chase the grease/sand out of the BB threads after blowing at it with compressed air and wiping it with paper towel for an hour
    Last edited by awfulwaffle; 09-08-14 at 06:38 PM.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    6,615
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by awfulwaffle View Post
    @rubic Thankfully, there's nothing that resembles a canyon round these parts, then Seriously though, is it that bad? I read into the characteristics of titanium before making the purchase and did see some discussion regarding how different cross-section tubes will affect it, but came to the conclusion that it'd still be better than what I've been riding. I do a fair share of out of the saddle efforts, and realize that it will be "springy", but I'd also read about the fact that the energy loss from such a frame is usually overstated. I guess I'll have to see for myself.

    @rpenmanparker Is that to say they're in keeping with what you've seen on TST frames? As for the finish, this frame has certainly seen some use. I just caved and paid the LBS to chase the grease/sand out of the BB threads after blowing at it with compressed air and wiping it with paper towel for an hour
    I don't know TST. Just saying the finish doesn't look brushed or satin or dressed up in any way. No effect on ride or longevity.
    Robert

    "Wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then." (Bob Seger, "Against the Wind")

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Haunchyville
    Posts
    5,997
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by awfulwaffle View Post
    @rubic Thankfully, there's nothing that resembles a canyon round these parts, then Seriously though, is it that bad? I read into the characteristics of titanium before making the purchase and did see some discussion regarding how different cross-section tubes will affect it, but came to the conclusion that it'd still be better than what I've been riding. I do a fair share of out of the saddle efforts, and realize that it will be "springy", but I'd also read about the fact that the energy loss from such a frame is usually overstated. I guess I'll have to see for myself.
    Maybe he means going down Beach to the witch's house.

  7. #7
    Senior Member awfulwaffle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Glendale, WI
    My Bikes
    Franken-mountain bike, 2013 Gravity Liberty 3, 1990 Cannondale ST400
    Posts
    469
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by canam73 View Post
    Maybe he means going down Beach to the witch's house.
    It took me multiple Google searches to figure out what you just said It appears the Witch's House is being moved to Sheboygan. Never been on Beach, but it doesn't look particularly canyon-y to me. I suppose I could go fight my way up Holy Hill and see how noodly it gets on the way down.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Haunchyville
    Posts
    5,997
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by awfulwaffle View Post
    It took me multiple Google searches to figure out what you just said It appears the Witch's House is being moved to Sheboygan. Never been on Beach, but it doesn't look particularly canyon-y to me. I suppose I could go fight my way up Holy Hill and see how noodly it gets on the way down.
    No, not a canyon. But as I'm sure you know between the various bluff roads and the Holy Hill area we don't have anything to decend. And even those are hardly worth mentioning.

  9. #9
    Senior Member awfulwaffle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Glendale, WI
    My Bikes
    Franken-mountain bike, 2013 Gravity Liberty 3, 1990 Cannondale ST400
    Posts
    469
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyone?

  10. #10
    Senior Member GP's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    7,172
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rubic View Post
    I don't recognize the manufacturer. However, the standard tubes will assure you that your frame will behave like a noodle on those downhill canyon curves.
    I've got a lot of miles on my Litespeed and it's not noodly.

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Northern VA
    Posts
    2,209
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GP View Post
    I've got a lot of miles on my Litespeed and it's not noodly.
    Then you are not riding hard enough

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    6,615
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GP View Post
    I've got a lot of miles on my Litespeed and it's not noodly.
    Yes, but you likely have butted, shaped tubes to provide stiffness without too much weight increase. The straight gauge, straight tubes will either weigh a lot or be somewhat flexible.
    Robert

    "Wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then." (Bob Seger, "Against the Wind")

  13. #13
    Senior Member GP's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    7,172
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rpenmanparker View Post
    Yes, but you likely have butted, shaped tubes to provide stiffness without too much weight increase. The straight gauge, straight tubes will either weigh a lot or be somewhat flexible.
    Hell, I don't know. It's got two wheels and some other stuff on it.

  14. #14
    Senior Member awfulwaffle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Glendale, WI
    My Bikes
    Franken-mountain bike, 2013 Gravity Liberty 3, 1990 Cannondale ST400
    Posts
    469
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On the above notes, I looked at the downtube and the cross-section transitions to an ellipse (major axis parallel to BB axis) where it joins with the BB shell, presumably for some extra lateral stiffness. Not too easy to see in the pics I provided, nor is it too extreme a transition. This is making me more anxious to see how it rides

  15. #15
    Senior Member awfulwaffle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Glendale, WI
    My Bikes
    Franken-mountain bike, 2013 Gravity Liberty 3, 1990 Cannondale ST400
    Posts
    469
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wellp, methinks I've figured it out. This appears to be a Performance TR1000 frame. The bikes in the following frame match mine to a tee as far as I can tell: Help identifying mid-90s Performance Ti frame?

    The dropouts are the only match I've been able to find, the place where the seatstays join the seat tube looks right, and the little "titanium" decals that mine still has are clearly visible in the first picture in the thread. The third picture in the thread (upside down one) looks like the brake bridge is consistent as well! Hooray!

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    No Va but ride also in So Md
    My Bikes
    Cervelo SLC-SL, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX
    Posts
    8,493
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by awfulwaffle View Post
    Wellp, methinks I've figured it out. This appears to be a Performance TR1000 frame. The bikes in the following frame match mine to a tee as far as I can tell: Help identifying mid-90s Performance Ti frame?

    The dropouts are the only match I've been able to find, the place where the seatstays join the seat tube looks right, and the little "titanium" decals that mine still has are clearly visible in the first picture in the thread. The third picture in the thread (upside down one) looks like the brake bridge is consistent as well! Hooray!
    I didn't look at the thread that closely. The titanium decal is clearly Performance. I remember looking at them in the store when they came out.
    You're just trying to start an argument to show how smart you are.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •