Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

View Poll Results: Road bike

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

    1 6.67%
  • No.

    3 20.00%
  • Save more.

    6 40.00%
  • Get a trek better.

    1 6.67%
  • Get a better brand. Vilano sucks

    4 26.67%
Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Hamilton, NY
    Posts
    9
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Going to save money

    Hi guys I decided to save money. I was at Walmart and target today and I now know why you guys say they're not bike professionals. does anyone know if dick sporting goods offer good bikes? I found a vilano cheap and I think I can save that amount of money. Does anyone know what is integrated brake lever shifters? This the bike I want to get down below.

    Should I get a disc break road bike?
    Attached Images Attached Images

  2. #2
    Galveston County Texas 10 Wheels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    In The Wind
    My Bikes
    GTO
    Posts
    26,238
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Best to talk with the mechanics at the store.
    [SIZE=1][B]What I like about Texas[/B]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGukLuXzH1E

    Set F1re To The Ra1n ( NY Night Rain Ride)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7jfcWEkSrI

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Hamilton, NY
    Posts
    9
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will going to my local bike shop this coming week. Let's see what they offer me

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    30
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Need to try harder

  5. #5
    Senior Member Jiggle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Somewhere in TX
    My Bikes
    CAAD 9
    Posts
    1,183
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd get a GMC Denali.

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Hamilton, NY
    Posts
    9
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I already have $300 saved up. GMC was horrible when I rode it

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Hamilton, NY
    Posts
    9
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    SoCal
    My Bikes
    89 Schwinn 754, 90 Trek 1100, 93 Trek 2300, 94 Trek 930, 97 Trek 1400
    Posts
    522
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Buy a used 10-15 year old Trek with the $300 you have saved up already. It will be a better bike than any new $600-$800 bike you can find.

  9. #9
    Old Weak Slow & Fredly!
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Bumpkinsville
    My Bikes
    '97 Klein Quantum Race; '13 Spec. Venge Expert
    Posts
    693
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RoadGuy View Post
    Buy a used 10-15 year old Trek with the $300 you have saved up already. It will be a better bike than any new $600-$800 bike you can find.
    ^This. Or Bikesdirect. But the used will be better, assuming there are decent used bikes on the market in your area. Forget Walmat; Dick's; etc. and you'll get nothing of any higher quality at an LBS for $300.
    Stucky's Universally Undeniable Rules Of Cycling:#1: No matter how long you ride into that unrelenting headwind it will shift 180 degrees at the exact same time you turn around.

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    New Berlin, WI
    Posts
    19
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Either get a used bike or increase your budget a bit. Both bikes below are on sale today and around $800. These are probably the best new bikes you'll find for sub $1k. Bikes Direct probably has a similar bike for the price.

    Fuji Roubaix 1.3 C Road Bike - 2014
    Nashbar 105 Road Bike

  11. #11
    . bbattle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Rocket City, No'ala
    My Bikes
    2014 Trek Domane 5.2, 1985 Pinarello Trevisio, 1991 Colnago Master, '06 Bianchi San Jose, 1987 Moulton Fuso, 1990 Gardin Shred, '82 John Howard(Dave Tesch)
    Posts
    12,179
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Classic and Vintage Forum can help you find a nice used bike that will be a much better ride than anything from Wal-mart or Dick's Sporting Goods.

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Northern San Diego
    My Bikes
    A Tomassini Super Prestige SLX all Campy circa 1986, A Trek 510 Ishiwata 022 Road frame set up for touring circa 1979, a Specialized 2006 Hardrock Sport Mtn Bike, and a Cannondale build that's my winter project
    Posts
    418
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bbattle View Post
    The Classic and Vintage Forum can help you find a nice used bike that will be a much better ride than anything from Wal-mart or Dick's Sporting Goods.
    Anyone with a budget under $500 is much better served buying used than new. You can get a perfectly useful used bike for $100-150, a very good used bike for $200-300, and an excellent one for $500 if you know what you're looking for.

  13. #13
    Super Moderator BillyD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Hudson Valley, NY
    My Bikes
    Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92; Schwinn Continental '76.
    Posts
    13,212
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bbattle View Post
    The Classic and Vintage Forum can help you find a nice used bike that will be a much better ride than anything from Wal-mart or Dick's Sporting Goods.
    +1
    Where else but the internet can a bunch of cyclists go and be the tough guy? - - jdon
    Titanium Division

  14. #14
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Hamilton, NY
    Posts
    9
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stucky View Post
    ^This. Or Bikesdirect. But the used will be better, assuming there are decent used bikes on the market in your area. Forget Walmat; Dick's; etc. and you'll get nothing of any higher quality at an LBS for $300.
    What are the difference between 1.2 and 1.5? I could save up to $1000 because I don't want to buy one now. It's winter where I live and the temperatures are really low. I'm planning on buying during the summer. Any bike brands suggestions that will be greatful. Have a good one.

  15. #15
    Senior Member kbarch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    New York City
    My Bikes
    Felt AR4, Casati Laser La Speciale
    Posts
    560
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't put one worry in front of another. Your say you won't be buying until summer (more like spring, maybe?), and that you can continue to save. Good. When you are ready to buy, THAT'S when you want to decide, and you probably won't need any advice by then.

  16. #16
    Bike Junkie roccobike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC
    My Bikes
    Giant OCR-C, Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 05 Rockhopper, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 01 Bianchi Campione, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 97 Lemond
    Posts
    9,087
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Geo Zegarra, I'm going to disagree with some of the folks here and say that, in general, the bikes at Dicks are much better than Wally World or the Big Zero. Dicks has folks who have at least some knowledge of bike assembly and in some instances, are very good bike mechanics, as was said before, it depends on the individual Dicks store. This assumes you are picking up an assembled bike at a Dicks store. The bikes at Dicks are OK quality, although, I'd prefer a LBS brand. If you're going to buy new, I'd get a bike that has integrated shifters and at least 8 speed. I'd stay away from the 7 speed setups with new bikes as these are usually low quality components that are problematic. (As a former bike flipper, I've owned a few and they are a pain to get working smoothly.) If you are buying on line, the recommendation to go with bikes direct instead of ebay or Dicks is a good recommendation. Bikes Direct deals only with bicycles and know what they are doing and they are helpful if the bike has a problem component. None of the on-line folks will help you assemble the bike, so consider you may have to take the bike to a LBS and pay them to assemble.
    As for used, if you're spending less than $500, craigslist is probably the best way to go. Consider you can ride the bike to be sure it fits correctly and you can check out the components. You should disclose your location in your profile and allow that to be shared. Maybe a BF member on this forum or the C & V forum can help you. Some of the guys over in Classic & Vintage are flippers, guys who buy bikes, repair them and sell them. A good flipper will sell you bike that's in good running condition and will help if repairs are needed. I used to allow 30 days after a sale, to repair any problem with a bike or give them their money back, but that's just me. One last comment, on older bikes, I'd be OK with 7 speed rear or even 6 speed as the older components with these setups were much better quality than the new 7 speed bikes. Hope this helps.
    Roccobike BF Official Thread Terminator

  17. #17
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Hamilton, NY
    Posts
    9
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by roccobike View Post
    Geo Zegarra, I'm going to disagree with some of the folks here and say that, in general, the bikes at Dicks are much better than Wally World or the Big Zero. Dicks has folks who have at least some knowledge of bike assembly and in some instances, are very good bike mechanics, as was said before, it depends on the individual Dicks store. This assumes you are picking up an assembled bike at a Dicks store. The bikes at Dicks are OK quality, although, I'd prefer a LBS brand. If you're going to buy new, I'd get a bike that has integrated shifters and at least 8 speed. I'd stay away from the 7 speed setups with new bikes as these are usually low quality components that are problematic. (As a former bike flipper, I've owned a few and they are a pain to get working smoothly.) If you are buying on line, the recommendation to go with bikes direct instead of ebay or Dicks is a good recommendation. Bikes Direct deals only with bicycles and know what they are doing and they are helpful if the bike has a problem component. None of the on-line folks will help you assemble the bike, so consider you may have to take the bike to a LBS and pay them to assemble.
    As for used, if you're spending less than $500, craigslist is probably the best way to go. Consider you can ride the bike to be sure it fits correctly and you can check out the components. You should disclose your location in your profile and allow that to be shared. Maybe a BF member on this forum or the C & V forum can help you. Some of the guys over in Classic & Vintage are flippers, guys who buy bikes, repair them and sell them. A good flipper will sell you bike that's in good running condition and will help if repairs are needed. I used to allow 30 days after a sale, to repair any problem with a bike or give them their money back, but that's just me. One last comment, on older bikes, I'd be OK with 7 speed rear or even 6 speed as the older components with these setups were much better quality than the new 7 speed bikes. Hope this helps.
    thank you this really helped me out. I added my location hopefully that helps. For me I really want with disc break and has you say integrated shifters. I will be researching again until I find the right bike. I have six months probably my budget ($310 now) will be in the $600. Good thing I will be working during the summer. I'll reach $800-$1000 by then. Fiji, trek are my favorite brands. Are there any like them?

  18. #18
    Bike Junkie roccobike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC
    My Bikes
    Giant OCR-C, Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 05 Rockhopper, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 01 Bianchi Campione, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 97 Lemond
    Posts
    9,087
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Geo, Within your budget, and assuming you want a road bike with road geometry and drop bars, I doubt you will find a bike with disc brakes. Having said that, I'd look for a bike with a carbon fork and at least 16 speed (8 speed rear or higher). Try different brands and look at their websites. Some provide prices, some don't. Specialized Secteur Double has the minimum components that I'd settle for, but other brands may have the same components or better at a lower price. Giant, Trek and Specialized are the big three and tend to have higher prices than some other brands. Fuji and Raleigh tend to cost a little less. The Felt Z100 is $800 with a carbon fork, alloy frame and integrated shifters. Do some research, go to some local bike shops to determine what you can buy. Also, try to find out what frame size is correct for you. Buying the correct frame size is very important. Also, try to communicate with the folks over on the C&V forum. See if there's someone there that can help you with your decision or help with a used bike.
    Roccobike BF Official Thread Terminator

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •