Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 11 of 11
BikesDirect.com
  1. #1
    Climbing: Ropes or Wheels PiLigand's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Unied States, Maine
    My Bikes
    2012 Scott Foil 30, Homebrew Windsor Fens Build, 2015 Fuji Touring, 1980 Univega
    Posts
    380
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    What's happening to the Scott bikes?

    Another question for industry:

    Scott used to have a whole line of Foils from 40 up through 10, then team, primo, etc. Now on their website they've got exactly three models. They're not phasing them out to be replaced by addicts or Solace; I can't imagine that would make any sense. Same with the CR1.

    Thoughts?
    Uh oh. I'm looking at Ebay again...

  2. #2
    Senior Member BigJeff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Pacific NW
    Posts
    557
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They look at what sells for the year and change up what doesn't sell so well.

    You don't need that many tiers of foil, when it is no longer a new model.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Posts
    408
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We sell Scott in our shop and the Addict/Solace are far more popular than the Foil. In the same way the Domane was more popular than the Madone, the Defy more popular than the TCR. Heck we sell more GF01s than SLR01s.

    Most people that walk through our doors are looking for comfort, endurance and "having some fun" on the bike. The majority of those people aren't looking for an aero bike.

    Although, ironically, we sell far more S-series Cervelos to R-series.

    Most of the customers that come in and want an aero bike will know exactly what they want and we special order it in. We use to stock the Propel and the two we had on the floor were about to be charged for rent. We pull the bike off the floor... we've special ordered in a dozen in the last 6-months.
    Quote Originally Posted by bt View Post
    no reason to be rude.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Northern VA
    Posts
    2,682
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by softreset View Post
    We sell Scott in our shop and the Addict/Solace are far more popular than the Foil. In the same way the Domane was more popular than the Madone, the Defy more popular than the TCR. Heck we sell more GF01s than SLR01s.

    Most people that walk through our doors are looking for comfort, endurance and "having some fun" on the bike. The majority of those people aren't looking for an aero bike.

    Although, ironically, we sell far more S-series Cervelos to R-series.

    Most of the customers that come in and want an aero bike will know exactly what they want and we special order it in. We use to stock the Propel and the two we had on the floor were about to be charged for rent. We pull the bike off the floor... we've special ordered in a dozen in the last 6-months.
    It's a testament to how good the new S2/3 are... they are as comfortable as the R, but with aero benefit. The weight increase from S to R is also negligible.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Posts
    408
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dalava View Post
    It's a testament to how good the new S2/3 are... they are as comfortable as the R, but with aero benefit. The weight increase from S to R is also negligible.
    Completely agree. Plus the S2/S3 looks a whole loot 'cooler' than the R-series. Most people gravitate to the Cervelo S-series in our shop just because it looks cool and then they ask what this.
    Quote Originally Posted by bt View Post
    no reason to be rude.

  6. #6
    token triathlete Bah Humbug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    On the trainer
    My Bikes
    Cervelo New P3 Cervelo S1
    Posts
    7,187
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dalava View Post
    It's a testament to how good the new S2/3 are... they are as comfortable as the R, but with aero benefit. The weight increase from S to R is also negligible.
    And, a lot of Cervelo fans are in it because of believing in aero. I see way more Ps and Ses around Austin than Rs.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2manybikes View Post
    It's hard not to be happy around a happy dog.

  7. #7
    Senior Member WxGuesser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    O'Fallon Il/St Louis
    My Bikes
    2015 Cervelo S3, Fuji SL1, Felt TK2, Cervelo P2C
    Posts
    804
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been riding for a while now... notice my join date. One thing that interesting to me these days is that no major pro teams are riding Cervelo, yet the S3s are selling very well. Comments on that? P.S. I'm still waiting for my S3 to make it across the border!
    http://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/bigwx_both_cond/language/www/US/IL/O%27FALLON.gif

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Rockland County, NY
    My Bikes
    Giant TCR SL3 and Trek 1.5
    Posts
    1,259
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WxGuesser View Post
    I've been riding for a while now... notice my join date. One thing that interesting to me these days is that no major pro teams are riding Cervelo, yet the S3s are selling very well. Comments on that? P.S. I'm still waiting for my S3 to make it across the border!
    Not saying Cervelos aren't good bikes, but they're a brand purchased by people who tend to like to "show" their money. You don't really need to market to those people. They know what they want and they buy it.

  9. #9
    Falls Downalot gc3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    DC
    My Bikes
    Now I Got Two
    Posts
    3,045
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cafzali View Post
    Not saying Cervelos aren't good bikes, but they're a brand purchased by people who tend to like to "show" their money.. .
    More accurate, in my opinion, would be to say "purchased by people that don't mind dropping a decentchunk of change on an ugly bike".... just saying....
    "I tried being reasonable, I didn‘t like it."
    "I understand. I just don't care"
    "I don't give a f*ck" if they remember me at all" (F. Zappa)

  10. #10
    Senior Member ussprinceton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Durham, NC 27705 USA
    Posts
    474
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wish they would sell online

  11. #11
    Senior Member KantoBoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    652
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ussprinceton View Post
    I wish they would sell online
    I never got the idea of just selling to retailers but don't have anything to demo.

    I live in Toronto where there's rarely any place that will let you demo anything unless you're a friend of the store.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •