Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 116
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Point Pleasant Boro, NJ
    My Bikes
    Voodoo Canzo, BMC Granfondo
    Posts
    155
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Chinese Carbon Road Bars

    Hey guys I really like some Bontrager Carbon Aero bars I saw at a LBS but at $300 I wouldn't be able to afford them so for the hell of it I looked at eBay and say an identical pair for $60. Of course I was like wow so I ordered them. They look identical and weight the same. Anybody have any experience with chinese handlebars. I just don't want them to Crack on me from maybe some gravel grinding.
    Full Carbon Fiber Road Mountain Bike Bicycle Drop Handlebar 400mm 420mm 440mm | eBay

    Just tough for me to under why 1 American Company and 1 Chinese Company.
    Both companies make identical item, both companies manufacturer the item in the same country (china) but one company chargers $300 and the other $50. I totally rather support an American Company but I don't like to get guilted into buying American and getting over charged on top of it.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Philly
    My Bikes
    Custom Engin Ti, Custom IF SCC SE, Custom Friday NWT, Surly LHT. My other bike is your mom.
    Posts
    5,105
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Diablito View Post
    Both companies make identical item....
    Identical in what way? Looks alone?

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Point Pleasant Boro, NJ
    My Bikes
    Voodoo Canzo, BMC Granfondo
    Posts
    155
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Identical meaning the flat top mounts. They aren't round, more flat so easier on the palms of my hands. They are 200grams also like the Bontrager bars

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Point Pleasant Boro, NJ
    My Bikes
    Voodoo Canzo, BMC Granfondo
    Posts
    155
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Identical meaning the flat top mounts. They aren't round, more flat so easier on the palms of my hands. They are 200grams also like the Bontrager bars

  5. #5
    bt
    bt is online now
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    2,012
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Identical meaning the flat top mounts. They aren't round, more flat so easier on the palms of my hands. They are 200grams also like the Bontrager bars

  6. #6
    Senior Member seymour1910's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Hampton, VA
    My Bikes
    CAAD
    Posts
    2,329
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^^^^

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Point Pleasant Boro, NJ
    My Bikes
    Voodoo Canzo, BMC Granfondo
    Posts
    155
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My dam phone is going whacky. Done sent the same reply twice

  8. #8
    Senior Member mkadam68's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    30 minutes North-West of Los Angeles.
    My Bikes
    2012 MotorHouse road bike. No. You can't get one.
    Posts
    3,651
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just because they look the same, doesn't mean they're identical.
    Just because they have the same features doesn't men they're identical.
    Just because they weigh the same doesn't mean they're identical.

    The American version also has:
    • Innovative research
    • Proprietary molds developed via that research
    • Warranty built in
    • Customer service
    • Automatic, (probably) no questions-asked support if should something should go wrong.


    All that adds up financially.

    Now, that's not to say the Chinese version will break on you or won't last as long. It very well may. I have some bomb-proof Chinese carbon rim wheels that I adore. But I knew their limitations going in.

    Visit The C-Blog : the blog about cycling.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Point Pleasant Boro, NJ
    My Bikes
    Voodoo Canzo, BMC Granfondo
    Posts
    155
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess I can't go wrong for the price. Speaking of wheels I was looking at those also $470 for carbon disc road clinchers. That will probably be my next purchase for road wheels.

  10. #10
    Senior Member ussprinceton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Durham, NC 27705 USA
    Posts
    468
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I say get these Chinese carbon road bars and write a review

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Point Pleasant Boro, NJ
    My Bikes
    Voodoo Canzo, BMC Granfondo
    Posts
    155
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They are already on the way. I will definitely write a review since I already have the Bontrager Aluminum Aero bars which weight 350 grams
    Losing 150 grams for $50 isn't too shabby.

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Philly
    My Bikes
    Custom Engin Ti, Custom IF SCC SE, Custom Friday NWT, Surly LHT. My other bike is your mom.
    Posts
    5,105
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Diablito View Post
    Identical meaning the flat top mounts. They aren't round, more flat so easier on the palms of my hands. They are 200grams also like the Bontrager bars
    So looks/design of one part. That doesn't mean the items are "identical" as you claim. Two different cars can have identical looking wheels, for example, but that does not mean the wheels are the same in every other respect except outward appearance. Before you can claim two items are "identical" and ask who one costs $250 more than the other you need to know a lot about more about the two items.
    "I've wanted you to succeed, but watching you find excuse after excuse after excuse and then laugh it off as the loveable, quirky, chubby guy is getting old."--Ill.Clyde

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Philly
    My Bikes
    Custom Engin Ti, Custom IF SCC SE, Custom Friday NWT, Surly LHT. My other bike is your mom.
    Posts
    5,105
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Diablito View Post
    My dam phone is going whacky. Done sent the same reply twice
    Sent by the identical person but under two different user names. Which one of you was made in China?

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Point Pleasant Boro, NJ
    My Bikes
    Voodoo Canzo, BMC Granfondo
    Posts
    155
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by indyfabz View Post
    So looks/design of one part. That doesn't mean the items are "identical" as you claim. Two different cars can have identical looking wheels, for example, but that does not mean the wheels are the same in every other respect except outward appearance. Before you can claim two items are "identical" and ask who one costs $250 more than the other you need to know a lot about more about the two items.
    This too deep for me haha. I just wanted to know if anybody has these or has seen someone with them. Any feedback would have been fine. Thanks

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Philly
    My Bikes
    Custom Engin Ti, Custom IF SCC SE, Custom Friday NWT, Surly LHT. My other bike is your mom.
    Posts
    5,105
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Diablito View Post
    I just wanted to know if anybody has these or has seen someone with them.
    Actually, you didn't ask that (or any) question. You did, however, state that you find it tough to understand why two allegedly identical products are priced miles apart without demonstrating that the products are, in fact, identical. Just wanted to prod you into thinking a little more in depth, but don't bother if it you might sprain something.
    "I've wanted you to succeed, but watching you find excuse after excuse after excuse and then laugh it off as the loveable, quirky, chubby guy is getting old."--Ill.Clyde

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Point Pleasant Boro, NJ
    My Bikes
    Voodoo Canzo, BMC Granfondo
    Posts
    155
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Everyone knows why all this is happening but no one can fix it.

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Philly
    My Bikes
    Custom Engin Ti, Custom IF SCC SE, Custom Friday NWT, Surly LHT. My other bike is your mom.
    Posts
    5,105
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stucky View Post
    . . .
    According to the OP, both products are made in China.
    Last edited by BillyD; 04-14-15 at 02:45 PM. Reason: cleanup
    "I've wanted you to succeed, but watching you find excuse after excuse after excuse and then laugh it off as the loveable, quirky, chubby guy is getting old."--Ill.Clyde

  18. #18
    RR3
    RR3 is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    707
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aren't they all made in China?

    I have a pair. 1 year. About 6,000 miles. They weigh 198.25 grams and are more comfortable than the alu ones.

    Still alive.

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Point Pleasant Boro, NJ
    My Bikes
    Voodoo Canzo, BMC Granfondo
    Posts
    155
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks RR3, FINALLY someone with actually proof. Made me feel better on the purchase.

  20. #20
    The Ultimate Fred Stucky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Bumpkinsville
    My Bikes
    '97 Klein Quantum Race; '13 Spec. Venge Expert
    Posts
    1,677
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Diablito View Post
    Is it to early to say that America is failing.
    No, it's too late.

    Quote Originally Posted by indyfabz View Post
    According to the OP, both products are made in China.
    Yes, but one is sold directly by a Chinese company, while the other is sold by a 'Murican company, which still has to pay all of the taxes; placate all the regulators; and assume all the other liabilities, just because they have an office here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr IGH View Post
    Ride more and get fit, it doesn't matter what you're riding, it's about your fitness, not the frame material. You'll be better for it....

  21. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Philly
    My Bikes
    Custom Engin Ti, Custom IF SCC SE, Custom Friday NWT, Surly LHT. My other bike is your mom.
    Posts
    5,105
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stucky View Post
    Yes, but one is sold directly by a Chinese company, while the other is sold by a 'Murican company, which still has to pay all of the taxes; placate all the regulators; and assume all the other liabilities, just because they have an office here.
    Are you suggesting that things like OSHA and EPA regs. apply to Chinese manufacturing activities because the ultimate seller of the product in the U.S. has an office in the U.S.? U.S. wage requirements apply to Chinese workers for the same reason? The Chinese factory pays U.S. utility rates for manufacturing the product in China?
    "I've wanted you to succeed, but watching you find excuse after excuse after excuse and then laugh it off as the loveable, quirky, chubby guy is getting old."--Ill.Clyde

  22. #22
    The Ultimate Fred Stucky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Bumpkinsville
    My Bikes
    '97 Klein Quantum Race; '13 Spec. Venge Expert
    Posts
    1,677
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by indyfabz View Post
    Are you suggesting that things like OSHA and EPA regs. apply to Chinese manufacturing activities because the ultimate seller of the product in the U.S. has an office in the U.S.? U.S. wage requirements apply to Chinese workers for the same reason? The Chinese factory pays U.S. utility rates for manufacturing the product in China?
    No; but they still have to pay the high taxes which pay for all of those things; as do their distributors and retailers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr IGH View Post
    Ride more and get fit, it doesn't matter what you're riding, it's about your fitness, not the frame material. You'll be better for it....

  23. #23
    bt
    bt is online now
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    2,012
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Identical meaning the flat top mounts. They aren't round, more flat so easier on the palms of my hands. They are 200grams also like the Bontrager bars

  24. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Newport Beach, CA
    My Bikes
    S works Tarmac, Felt TK2 track
    Posts
    878
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't answer your question but as a rider who has broken CF bars (factory Spec) be cautious if you notice any difference in the stiffness of the bars.

  25. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Point Pleasant Boro, NJ
    My Bikes
    Voodoo Canzo, BMC Granfondo
    Posts
    155
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by popeye View Post
    I can't answer your question but as a rider who has broken CF bars (factory Spec) be cautious if you notice any difference in the stiffness of the bars.
    What do you mean like if the bars are a little too flexible? I don't expect any flex in the bars. If I sense more flex then usual I'll definitely take them off.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •