View Single Post
Old 02-06-06, 12:42 AM
mascher

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sort of inspired by bostontrevors gratituitous use of the picture of his bike with the flashlight on it, here's my 2003 Kona Smoke that's absolutely nothing special, except all these pics are always of pretty clean bikes.

Kona Smoke owners: 44x18, or whatever number of teeth that is, is the magic gear for Smokes and their shallow but semi horizontal dropouts.

Except that it's only a couple years old, this is a real beater: I broke all the stock parts (including the fork) except for the stem and post. Everything that replaced it was the cheapest better thing I either had or the shop could put on in 15 minutes on my way to work. The frame is tweaked from its last sorry days with a derailleur, where at 2mph and an overshift bent the frame instead of tearing the derailleur apart when it went into the spokes. I don't know any shops that can realign a frame, and I wouldn't pay to do it on this bike, so I threw away all the junk except the front brake. When the fork bent, it got replaced with a disk brake dirtjumping fork that they gave me for cost because Kona didn't believe that their Project Two fork could fail under normal use, but couldn't imagine what I could have done to break it either. Fork won't take a fender, the rear is broken in three places, but all where it attaches, so it's reattached with electrical tape and a zip tie (the original duct tape fix worked for more than a year!). The front wheel isn't even for this bike: some idiot tried to steal the junky wheel I had on it, and bent the hell out of the rotor. Then trying to back out the bolts I stripped one. Then I realized that the qr was broken and not removeable anyway, so I stole this off my mountain bike, who's parked on a trainer for the winter anyway.

Just fixed it up tonight with an IRO fixed rear mtb wheel. Note the chain tensioner still attached from its ss incarnation - the bolt is stripped, and I realized I could just take off the jockey wheel and leave it on there. I tried cutting slots into it, but a tight, rusted, salt-welded bolt is pretty hard to get out with a screwdriver.

Spec: Nothing special or originally intended for this bike, except the rear wheel. Big fellers take note: the 22" Smoke has something like a 63cm top tube.

Note: after riding fixed exclusively with clipless, platforms with no clips totally, totally suck. I don't know how or why you do it, those that do it. But this is a snowbike, and there's not a toeclip made for a size 13 winter boot with a nylon bootie on it.

Rear:

More Rear:

Chainline:

Top:

Head: