View Single Post
Old 05-10-07, 07:43 AM
Andrew*Debbie

Bikes: 1996 Trek 930, 198? Bianchi Giro, 1998 Cannondale RT300, 19?? Gary Fisher

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Trek 930 Commuter

This is my 1996 Trek 930. I bought the bike new. I've used it both on and off road. Currently I'm riding it to work 4 days a week. Photos show the bike in 'summer commute'. I'm going to be putting fenders on soon. It hasn't been raining.

The 930 has held up well. Trek made decent steel frames.

Changes from the original.

Rapid Fire Shifters. I hate Grip Shifts.
Scott AT-2 LF bars. Sadly these are no longer made.
One sided SPD pedals.
Syncros bottom bracket went in when the Shimano one failed after a thousand miles or so.
XT brakes front, LX brakes rear. Bought cheap at Supergo. They do work better than the OE brakes.

The XTR rear derailleur came off of our tandem. Rapid rise works poorly with the long cable runs on a Tandem. I swapped the STX unit from the Trek with the XTR on the Tandem. Both bikes shift better but I would never have purchased an XTR rear derailleur new.

I've had 3 or 4 sets of wheels. Right now I'm using the original front wheel. The rear is an original rim laced to an old 7-speed LX hub.

Tires are Performance store brand Fast City ST-K's.

Brooks B-17 and Carradice Junior. It is just large enough to hold pants, shirt, wallet, keys, a few tools. I I had it to do over, I'd get the next size up bag.

I used to have a Blackburn MTN rack and bags. Those are on the Tandem.

Last edited by Andrew*Debbie; 05-11-07 at 05:41 AM.