View Single Post
Old 12-12-08, 12:40 AM
regfman

Bikes: dahon - S7

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Let me tell you guys about my fake strida experience this week.

I bought one a couple weeks ago and after getting some hands-on tips from one of the posters here (thank you!) I had it tweaked (tire pressure, seat height, brake tension, belt tension) to an acceptable point where it was rideable for the short flat commute rides that I'm doing. A couple days ago I unfolded the bike, hopped on it, and the frame collapsed on the first down stroke of the pedal. I just felt the whole bike fall out from under me. Turns out that top ball joint plastic socket cracked into two pieces.

Now, having read a bit about the occasional problem of the ball coming out of the socket on the real Strida, and seeing a video on youtube on how to pop it back in, I've learned that unfolding the bike can stress the joint. I think I stressed the plastic socket by not paying attention when I was unfolding my fake strida and I cracked the plastic. I'd imagine that the real Strida is made of a better plastic that doesn't crack easily and doesn't have this particularly dangerous problem. I have no idea if all the fake stridas are made of the same low quality plastic. Maybe there are some that even go the length of using decent quality materials where the rider's safety might be at risk.

So this is a warning to you guys that the joint can break. I think mine broke from the stress of unfolding it wrong. I don't know if it could break while pedaling. It would be real bad if that happened while you were moving.