Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recreational & Family
Reload this Page >

2005 Raleigh c200 or 2006 raleigh passage 5.0

Search
Notices
Recreational & Family Ride just to ride? Have a family and want to get them into cycling? Drop in here to discuss recreational and family cycling issues.

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-05, 10:02 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Is it always better to go with the newer model year or a particular bike if the price is the same. The parts look very similar when doing a comparision. I would think there are some improvements going year to year.

The c200 has been renamed the passage 5.0. I was going to get the c200 but they did not have my size and there were none in the warehouse because of the transition. He is going to call around other LBSs to see if he can get one there at wholesale.

The colors are different. Neither is my favorite. I tend to like blues, orange, purples, yellow.
The 2005 is black and silver and the 2006 is white. I am not sure why they chose white.

Would you take the newer model over the previous year if at the same price. What about those colors. What do you think. I am a 40 year married man with a 6 year old. Will be doing family rides and some longer commutes and a few trails.
Old 08-14-05, 12:58 PM

Bikes: Giant Roam 2, Bianchi Boardwalk, Schwinn Woodlands (sold)

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Those two bikes are pretty similar. There usually aren't significant upgrades from year to year, so I think you would be safe with either model. Just make sure to get one that fits you. When I was looking at a bike for my wife, I was thinking about the SC-30 comfort bike and most dealers already were transitioning to the 2006 Raleigh Venture models. We ended up going for a Giant Sedona DX. Are you set on Raleigh? I was pretty much set on Raleigh when I saw that Giant seemed to offer more bang for the buck. You might want to check out the Giant Cypress LX. Components of bikes in this price range are pretty similar across the different bike manufacturers. Have you checked out the hybrid offerings from Giant, Trek or Specialized?
Old 08-14-05, 11:54 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the info. The treks/specialized are sold at a different LBS which I really do not like at all because of the service. This LBS is excellent. They sell Raligh and Giants. I tried the Giant Cypress LX and he said he could order it, but I think I like the Raleigh better.

Its odd, but one of the reasons I was debating the 2005 vs the 2006 is color. The 2005 is silver/black and the 2006 is white. I perfer more color on my bike, but then again white is probably safest if commuting when its getting darker since it can be seen easier. Was not sure if it was always better to get the newer year.

By the way I did compare parts and the Giant LX has very similar parts to the Raleigh where as the Trek in the same price range had parts that were a step down.

For a while there I was thinking about a Diamondback since they had a cool red one with lots of black on it and its basiclly a Raleigh since they own it. The problem was that when I looked at the geometries, they were quite different the Raleigh. The Diamond goes only up to a 21 where as R goes to a 23. The D 21 geometries appeared to like between that of a R21 and R23. I am probably really a 20. The 19 was a little small and the R21 should be fine; however, the D21 may be too big. Concerned with fit and since he did not having and Ds on site, I backed off that idea for now.

Waiting to see if he finds any 2005s and then I will decide which to get.
Old 08-15-05, 05:17 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hey Murf, I just test rode the c200 (silver/black) along with the Specialized sirrus and crossroads elite...they were all within $20 or so of each other - so price wasn't an issue. I really wanted the sirrus but after riding it, wasn't so sure. It is a beautiful bike though, flat black..looks the bidness..but it was a little too aggressive/narrow in focus...what a sharp looking bike though.

Anyway, the c200 and crossroads were the same price. The c200 is a great looking bike, like you said, nice paint job. Between the c200 and the crossroads, it really came down to which had the options I wanted...the c200 had disk brakes which I guess is good. But, the crossroads had a better front fork and better switch gear (I guess deralliuer is what its called) but the c200 was a better looking bike...in the end, the crossroads won me over for the better components...I'm a bit over 200lbs and I figured the better front suspension may come in handy.

But, it was very close..they are both very nice bikes and I was this close to choosing the c200...it is a very nice bike that I think you'll be very happy with. There was a Trek dealer close by but the salesman acted like he was doing me a favor by answering my questions. So I crossed trek off the list. I can simpathize with you in regards to the people that work at the shop, the raleigh/specialized shop were very very helpfull and nice - putting up with my newbie questions and the back and forth test riding of the bikes..great people.. Anyway good luck, I'm sure you will be happy with the c200, I'm sure I would have been.

Steve
Old 08-15-05, 09:48 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I crossed off Trek for a similar reason. That LBS was aweful to myself, wife and daughter. The one I am working with now is exceptional. We already bought a bike for my wife (Raleigh venture 3.0, I think the 2005 was called a sc30) and a Raleigh Jazzi for my daughter.

I was not a big fan of the 2006 passage 5.0 (white) that replaces the c200, then I found the diamondback menona which is very similar to the c200. What is different is stuff I like for example 700x40 instead of 700x35. It looks really sharp. Take a look at diamondback.com. The LBS ordered one for me, if I do not like it, I can get something else. Its a reg bike with lots of black components. Real sharp. Take a look and tell me what you think. Its a 2006 model. If it does not ride well, I will look into the brand you mentioned.
Old 08-16-05, 07:50 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hi Murf, that is a nice looking bike. To be honest, I didn't care for the looks of the crossroad that I got https://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?spid=9350
the c200 was a much better looking machine...

Looks do play a part, I mean, you do have to look at the bike once in a while LOL...I also like the lower bar on the diamondback...on mine you'll notice the higher bar..I actually dropped the bar down and angled it forward a bit for a more aggressive stance..it's actually a little more comfortable for me now.

The diamondback is nice and it appears its basically the c200 with a different name badge..Good luck, I'm off to find a helmet LOL..

Steve
Old 08-16-05, 09:17 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That crossroad is a nice looking bike and the parts are better then the c200 and diamondback. I noticed it has deore which is a step up from what I am looking at for the same price.

The only problem I think I will have with the diamondback is that it will be too big and will have to order a smaller size. I told the LBS owner that the geometries on the diamondback (according to the web) were larger then the c200, but he said he thought the 21 would be a good size for me since the raleigh 19 was too small.
Old 08-22-05, 05:36 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by murfnut
Is it always better to go with the newer model year or a particular bike if the price is the same.
I rode a C200 all spring and summer, and have nothing but good words for it. You will not go wrong with this bicycle for comfortable, hassle-free recreational riding.

From what I could see, the 2006 Passage seems to be of similar specification. Ordinarily you would buy the newer bike, if the prices are the same. However starting in the fall, you might just get a deal on the C200 that will make it worthwhile. After all its not like cars, where you're looking at resale value, etc
Old 08-23-05, 08:20 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Instead of getting the c200 or the passage5.0, I got the 2006 Diamondback Medona instead.

I like the Raleigh c200. The problem was that it was a 2005 model and they are moving to the 2006 version which is now called a passage 5.0 and the LBS did not have any c200s in my size or could locate one in the warehouse. The passage 5.0 has basicly the same parts but its "white" and does not look very good compared to the black and silver c200. I did not want a white back.

I then located the Medona on the diamondback website which had similar parts to the c200 and passage 5.0. Its a cool red with lots of black on it. Diamondback is owned by Raleigh.

So far so good. Plan on getting my first ride tonight.
Old 08-24-05, 08:06 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Congrats!! if its this one https://www.diamondback.com/items.asp...d=5&itemid=186
it's a great lookin bike. We picked my wife up a Raleigh C30 this past weekend...She likey..Makes me want to take a bike ride LOL..

Enjoy.

Steve
Old 10-03-05, 09:14 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How funny. I am just in the process of buying my first bike since junior high...I am now 40... and I loved the Raleigh Passage 5.0. It was the first bike I rode and I liked it because of the color (white)! It just had a very cool neutral look about it that was appealing. I especially liked the monocromatic look of the black rims and wheeels. I have now moved on and decided my choice will be a Jamis Coda Sport. It best suits my needs but it's blue and I *hate* blue.
Old 10-03-05, 11:00 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hi boydbl, if I didn't have my crossroads I would buy the coda comp..what a beautiful bike..I'm sure your gonna love it.

Steve
Old 10-03-05, 11:13 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My wife and I were able to purchase 2 Raleigh C200's about 1.5 months ago. We ride on paved bike trails near where we live. We were riding Mongoose 7spd. Cruisers to start, we didn't know what we were doing then. Boy, what a world of difference! We really like our Raleighs and were able to get a good deal on them. We were very close to purchasing Giant Cypress LX which is very similar in equipment and MSRP, but then learned of the Raleigh C200 and with the savings the choice was a no-brainer. I would recommend Raleigh C200 to anyone desiring a good bike with disk brakes and reasonable equipment for an affordable price.
Old 10-06-05, 12:13 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My wife and I have been riding our C200's for about 1 1/2 months now. We really like 'em. We just started riding this spring for health and fitness and were riding the mongoose 7spd cruisers we bought 3 years ago from Dick's Sporting goods on a closeout. We didn't know what we were doing then. But those cruisers helped us to realize that there had to be something better for negotiating the rolling Kansas terrain. We couldn't get up a lot of hills with the heavy steel cruisers, and some my wife still can't. But they're sure a lot easier on the Raleigh's. I only wish we would have started this biking thing a long time ago. I never had a bike growing up and never realized what fun it could be.
Old 10-08-05, 01:16 PM
loves rail-trails

Bikes: 2009 Kona Sutra, 2010 Kona Dew Plus, 2008 Raleigh Companion Tandem

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sidneyk
But they're sure a lot easier on the Raleigh's. I only wish we would have started this biking thing a long time ago. I never had a bike growing up and never realized what fun it could be.
Sometimes it just takes experience to get where you need to be! Good on you for figuring out that it was the equipment that was lacking and not the activity! I, too, have recently bought a Raleigh, only it's a Passage 4.0 (no disc brakes). It's a huge difference from my clunky old mountain bike, and the suspension's great for the local rail-trails around here. Good luck with your new bikes!
Old 11-11-05, 07:55 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I learned a lot from this post as I read "murfnut's" agony as he compared bikes. I, too, was going thruough some similar dillemas. Seemed from his research that a Raleigh Passage 5.0 would be the way to go but he just didn't like the color. I found it to be beautiful, a clear coated pearl white, with a paint job that rivals a Lexus. I bought the bike based greatly on opinions I read and the test ride as well. For the money this bike had everything I imagine I will need for quite a while.

I rode it the first day about 10 miles and I was amazed at the ride. Now I just need to maintain the enthusiasm and squeze in the time to enjoy cycling.

This is a great forum. I keep learning from others. Thanks.