Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Specialized RockCombo

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Specialized RockCombo

Old 06-22-06, 05:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Specialized RockCombo

Anybody know anything about the RockCombo bike by Specialized? I bought one used from my LBS. I don't know how old it is. I didn't see anything about it on their website. So does anybody know anything or know any sites with them? Is this a good bike? Thanks for the input.
Old 06-22-06, 08:12 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i thiink the only year they made it was 1989. here's the pages on it from my 1989 Specialized catalog, including a review on its ride by Ned Overend himself. of course, he did have a vested interest in saying good things about it. other than this, i know nothing about it, although i think i may have an old Bicycle Guide or Bicycling magazine somewhere that had a review of it
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
rockcombo1.jpg (74.0 KB, 220 views)
rockcombo2.jpg (83.0 KB, 141 views)
Old 06-22-06, 10:06 PM
Former grouch, now happy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by shipinabottle
Anybody know anything about the RockCombo bike by Specialized? I bought one used from my LBS. I don't know how old it is. I didn't see anything about it on their website. So does anybody know anything or know any sites with them? Is this a good bike? Thanks for the input.
That was my first mountain bike.

If you don't like it, PM me and if it's a 22 we could do business.
Old 06-23-06, 07:36 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
rufus...thanks a lot. interesting read. I really knew nothing about the bike (except that it rode better than my last one). So its a hydrid?
Old 06-23-06, 10:15 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
way early in the hybrid development period, where manufacturers couldn't decide if they should be more like road bike geometry with fatter tires, or flat bar mountain bikes with skinnier tires. if i'm remembering the Bicycling or Bicycle Guide article right, they tested a bunch of hybrids available at the time, including the Bruce Gordon Rock and Road, and a bunch of others. this was around the same time Tomac was racing mountain bikes with drop handlebars.

the next year, Specialized came out with their Crossroads line of hybrid bikes, more like mountain bikes with skinnier tires than the RockCombo was.

if i get motivated today, and the rains come as predicted, maybe i'll see if i can dig up that article.
Old 06-23-06, 02:16 PM

Bikes: 2006 Specialized Tarmac Expert, 1990 Specialized Allez Epic, Specialized RockCombo (winter), 70's Motobecane Team Champion,

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I bought one in the late 80's when I worked for Specialized..it's still in my garage..I'm at work, but I have the bike catalog at home. This bike was supposed to be on and off road capable. It didn't work out for Specialized since there wasn't really a market for this type of bike. Mountain bikers didn't want the drop handlebars. Also, the geometry is a little quick in the front end for most mountain bikers. Originally equipped, it came with a Suntour drivetrain which will be your main challenge once parts start to wear out. The original crank is cold-forged. I use it in the winter as a rain bike with 26 x 1.25 road slicks and fenders. Oddly enough, Specialized has a bike in this category in their 2006 catalog which I'm unable to find on their website.
Old 06-23-06, 04:28 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
here's the Bicycle Guide review. they liked it pretty well
Attached Images
rockcombo3.jpg (83.8 KB, 133 views)
rockcombo4.jpg (84.5 KB, 137 views)
rockcombo5.jpg (86.5 KB, 284 views)
Old 06-24-06, 05:00 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
pics look exactly like my bike- except for one thing. I don't have the drop handlebars. Mine come up over the regular handlebars. Would they make them both ways? I don't know if they make a lot of bikes like that.
Old 06-25-06, 12:09 PM

Bikes: 2006 Specialized Tarmac Expert, 1990 Specialized Allez Epic, Specialized RockCombo (winter), 70's Motobecane Team Champion,

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
pics look exactly like my bike- except for one thing. I don't have the drop handlebars. Mine come up over the regular handlebars. Would they make them both ways? I don't know if they make a lot of bikes like that.

Your bars have been switched out..originally they were made with drop bars only with Suntour bar-end controls..
Old 06-26-06, 09:05 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ah...I see...
Old 11-07-06, 05:38 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1989 Specialized Rockcombo bike - Super cool!

Hello, I have a 1989 Specialized Rockcombo, and I love it. It's a most unusual bike and quite rare, and gets a lot of looks. Noboby believes that the drop bars are original equipment, because its so rare to see a mtn bike with them. Its a great piece oc cycling history. Mine is 22" and in near mint condition. I keep it hung up for show.