Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

"Breaking away" trivia - identify the bicyle

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 11-30-06, 09:09 PM

Bikes: 1980 Mercian Olympic, 2004 Spectrum Ti custom, 2007 Bob Brown fully lugged steel tandem with S and S coupling and DaVinci ICS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I enjoyed watching the Peter Yates movie breaking away last night with my family. Clearly, it was not about the bicycle. However, my curiosity was aroused - what was the bicycle used by the character David Stoller in the movie? Any other interesting bicycle facts from this delightful movie?
Old 11-30-06, 09:10 PM
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1380 Post(s)
Liked 1,279 Times in 815 Posts
Masi Gran Criterium

I like the part in which he hits 50mph whilst drafting a Cinzano truck, with the chain on the 42-tooth ring.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 11-30-06, 09:25 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 60 Posts
The ones in the little 500 were AMF's with coaster brake single speeds. AKA: roadmaster...hardly,,,,BD
Old 11-30-06, 09:39 PM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 14 Posts
Didn't he hit 60!? lets get specific, what was the Cinzano team riding? I think they were colnagos
Old 11-30-06, 09:53 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by John E
Masi Gran Criterium

I like the part in which he hits 50mph whilst drafting a Cinzano truck, with the chain on the 42-tooth ring.
heh, is that why vintage Masi's are worth so much I wonder?
Old 12-01-06, 12:42 AM
Glutton for Punishment

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclotoine
Didn't he hit 60!?
If he'd been on a Varsity he would have.
Old 12-01-06, 01:07 AM
Dr.Deltron

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Didn't he hit 60!?
HE DID!
5 fingers +1!

then...BUSTED! ..oops..

(It was 50 miles to town X, according to the roadsign.)

Old 12-01-06, 08:22 AM

Location: Beaufort, South Carolina, USA and surrounding islands.

Bikes: Cannondale R500, Motobecane Messenger

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Dr.Deltron
HE DID!
5 fingers +1!

then...BUSTED! ..oops..

(It was 50 miles to town X, according to the roadsign.)
The smokey only pulled over the truck, not David.
Old 12-01-06, 08:47 AM

Bikes: Rivendell A.Homer Hilsen, Paramount P13, (4) Falcon bicycles, Mondia Special, Rodriguez Tandem

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
If you search around on the net there is an old discussion on a bike list by the guys who worked on that movie. Besides a real Masi they also used a replica painted like a Masi. While filming they didn't actually go 60 mph, more like 58.
Old 12-01-06, 09:13 AM

Bikes: 1 trek, serotta, rih, de Reus, Pogliaghi and finally a Zieleman! and got a DeRosa

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
From an interview with Wayne Stetina at Spokepost

SP: I was actually saving this question for later, but now that you're mentioning the mid-west, I thought I'd talk to you about the movie "Breaking Away" for a minute. So I've heard that the movie was based on your story? [chuckling]

Wayne Stetina: Nahhhh, that's incorrect. There are similarities. Actually, the guy that wrote it was a Phi Si and he knew Dave Blase, who was a really good local racer. I think Dave had the most laps ever ridden until the first year I rode a hundred and fourty-some laps. I rode the first 60 laps without doing an exchange. They changed a lot of rules after I did two races there...

SP: The rumor is that you single-handedly won the race...

Wayne Stetina: ...the second year I rode we had a team that had three other riders who got into the Little-500 Hall of Fame. They won pole positions in qualifications and I didn't even go to qual's...that year I only rode 92 laps. I think I was 144 laps the first year if I recall correctly, but the second year we were arguing about who was going to go back out. The first year I had no idea what to expect, so I spent a fair amount of time getting used to the track and trying to figure out how to ride it...

SP: What was the surface of the track?

Wayne Stetina: It was a cinder track. It was before they had gone to a faster track with narrower tires. It's an artificial surface now, much quicker. We were on loose cinders in an old stadium that they would pack with maybe 35 to 40 thousand screaming spectators. It was quite an interesting venue to ride a bike. The second year I went to the [fraternity] house and I said, "Do you guys want to win by one or two laps this year?" and they said, "You can't call that!" I said, "Listen! We could win by 3-laps, but it would be really hard, but one or two laps is pretty easy." -- I'd gone out and I did one practice session at the track that year and rode about 40 laps just to see how the fields were riding. With the team that we had, and the way I felt...

SP: So what year would this have been?

Wayne Stetina: That was, let's see, the first year I rode was '73, so it was '74. We won by two laps and then I helped a friend of mine make sure he got second. He had the flu that day and wasn't feeling strong, but normally he would have been able to stay with us...

SP: You were a relatively accomplished bike racer at this point, no?

Wayne Stetina: I came back from the '72 Olympic Team and started school a couple weeks late after getting back from Munich. I graduated a year early and I stayed out of school for a year just to train on ice skates and then cycling to try to make the '72 Olympics, which I did at the age of 18. Dave Chauner was on the track team, I was the youngest guy on the team...I really enjoyed reading your interview with Chauner...

SP: That was an interesting interview...he certainly has some good insights into cycling...

Wayne Stetina: Olaf Moetus was another one of the top riders from Indianapolis that I grew up riding with as an intermediate and a junior. He was an incredibly talented athlete...

SP: This is good stuff. Most cyclists realize that the Little-500 wasn't just in the movie. They probaby don't get the scope of it when you say 30 to 40 thousand fans...

Wayne Stetina: That was filmed in the stadium that I raced in. The movie was in 1978 and my brother Dale and I were at the World's at Neuremburg Ring in Germany. We went to the Tour of Switzerland, then raced the world's in Germany that year. My two younger brothers and my dad were extras in the road race scenes. One of my former roommates from Delta Chi was the double for Dennis Christopher. Everytime you see the really muscular guy, that was supposed to be the star going fast...that's Gary Ribar, he's a Hall of Fame rider. So when you see the guy in the small chainring, behind the semi...that's the "star". When you see the guy that's really going 60 mph, that's Gary [chuckle]. He was frequently top-10 on a nation level.

Want to upgrade your membership? Click Here.
Old 12-01-06, 09:49 AM
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 139 Post(s)
Quoted: 1442 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 952 Posts
I just noticed an interesting little glich on the cover of the DVD edition for this movie. Take a look at the crankset and the bottom bracket. I guess no cyclists took a look at the cover art.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Breaking Away DVD Cover.jpg (45.4 KB, 841 views)

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Old 12-01-06, 09:55 AM

Bikes: 2 Road, 1 SS/FG

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was just watching that movie last night while working on my bike. I thought they had coaster brakes on the Little Indy bike, but couldn't get a good look.
Old 12-01-06, 09:59 AM
\,,/(^_^)\,,/

Bikes: Surly 1x1 Xtracycle, '01 Haro Flair Dave Mirra

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Left-hand drive bike!
Old 12-01-06, 11:28 AM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 14 Posts
They do have coaster brakes and it possible they just flipped the image over the wrong way so it is backwards? Isn't that possible with film.. I'm to young to really remember.
Old 12-01-06, 12:03 PM
Spelling Snob

Bikes: Panasonic DX4000, Bianchi Pista

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by pastorbobnlnh
I just noticed an interesting little glich on the cover of the DVD edition for this movie. Take a look at the crankset and the bottom bracket. I guess no cyclists took a look at the cover art.
I own this movie, and on the inside the card that lists the chapters uses the correct version of that picture as a background. Im sure the reverse was chosen for the cover just for aesthetic reasons.

The first rule of flats is You don't talk about flats!
Old 12-01-06, 01:46 PM
Freewheel Medic

They do have coaster brakes and it possible they just flipped the image over the wrong way so it is backwards? Isn't that possible with film.. I'm to young to really remember.
The image is reversed, left to right, inverted in the same way a view through a telescope looks when a right angle viewer is used. But if you look closely you will notice the bike on the cover of the DVD case has a rear deraileur (but no FD). It also looks as if the chain is running from the big chainring to the large sprocket. Oh No! Cross-chaining! This is not a coaster brake bike.

Old 12-01-06, 02:17 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
They're talking about the bicycles raced at the end in the "Little 500" oval track trace, they race single speeds geared 46X18 with coaster brake.

I like this movie, defently good watch, for anyone who hasn't seen it check it out.
Old 12-01-06, 02:52 PM
Freewheel Medic

Originally Posted by divineAndbright
They're talking about the bicycles raced at the end in the "Little 500" oval track trace, they race single speeds geared 46X18 with coaster brake.
I realize that the "Little 500" bikes are coaster brake equiped. I'm just chuckling at the cover of the DVD which has a deraileur equiped left hand drive bike under the rider!

Old 12-01-06, 03:11 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I love this movie. What type of bikes were the Italians riding?

trivia:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0078902/trivia
Old 12-01-06, 05:37 PM

Mentioned: 651 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4719 Post(s)
Liked 3,034 Times in 1,874 Posts
Originally Posted by splytz1
I love this movie. What type of bikes were the Italians riding?

trivia:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0078902/trivia
The two that are identifiable in the film both bear Colnago decals. A couple of things always perplexed me about them:

1, For a top squad, why were the bicycles all different colors and have different components?
2. At the start of the race I wondered, "why are they carrying pumps and no spare tubulars? Surely they've got a support vehicale?" Then came the answer...
3. Why would Cinzano allow their name to be associated with this type? Is the advertising presence that significant that it overides the characters' actions?
Old 12-02-06, 05:39 PM
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1380 Post(s)
Liked 1,279 Times in 815 Posts
"One of my former roommates from Delta Chi was the double for Dennis Christopher. Everytime you see the really muscular guy, that was supposed to be the star going fast...that's Gary Ribar, he's a Hall of Fame rider. So when you see the guy in the small chainring, behind the semi...that's the "star". When you see the guy that's really going 60 mph, that's Gary [chuckle]. He was frequently top-10 on a nation level."

_____
That explains the use of the 42T ring in the Cinzano truck chase; the director must have asked Christopher to gear down to get his crank revs up.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 12-02-06, 06:14 PM
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 121 Post(s)
Quoted: 2395 Post(s)
Liked 4,337 Times in 2,070 Posts
Incedentally, on the subject of another movie, I just ran into a poster at a yard sale for the 1986 movie Quicksilver.

Features a photo of a bike messenger on one of the partial-chrome '84-85 Raleigh USA machines. The bike itself is set up as a fixed gear with a Campag crankset:

The poster I saw was lobby size, so the details were significantly better then in this photo. Note that even back then, those fixie hipsters were running minus brakes...

-Kurt

Old 12-03-06, 03:29 AM
Freewheel Medic

At least they got the crankset on the correct side!

Old 12-03-06, 09:56 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cudak888
Incedentally, on the subject of another movie, I just ran into a poster at a yard sale for the 1986 movie Quicksilver.

Features a photo of a bike messenger on one of the partial-chrome '84-85 Raleigh USA machines. The bike itself is set up as a fixed gear with a Campag crankset:

The poster I saw was lobby size, so the details were significantly better then in this photo. Note that even back then, those fixie hipsters were running minus brakes...

-Kurt
I saw that movie quite a bit ago and don't remember the details but I do remember them using coaster brakes. Kevin coasts quite a bit throughout the movie.
Old 12-03-06, 06:33 PM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Mar
3. Why would Cinzano allow their name to be associated with this type? Is the advertising presence that significant that it overides the characters' actions?
Sure! Just have a look at Talladega Nights... brands are really part of the comedy in that film and also partly ridiculed... "Perrier" as a sponsor for the French driver and "Wonder Bread" as a sponsor for our hero "Ricky Bobby." Hilarious! I read an article that asked that same question.. they spoke to some marketing people from Wonder Bread and said, "You know... your brand is portrayed as a bit ridiculous in the film." Thay said, "Who cares... we're getting the name out there, plus it's funny!"

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.