Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Best looking brompton I've seen so far.

Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Old 03-24-08, 12:12 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 20 Posts

Actually this brompton is not my mate's. It was built for a bike show by a japanese custom shop.
Their homepage address is https://bike.gn.to/
They build lot of interesting products for folders as well (Ti spokes, bladed spokes, anodized rims, 74mm front hubs and so on)

Anyway..

Bullhorn bar makes a very racy look. BTW the black seatpost is made of carbon.

Vision carbon bullhorn bar and STI levers.. Satori stem is used (a la speed pro TT)

FSA carbon crank and carbon-wrapped TT chainring (55-44T)
It has a front derailleur too.

Custom 130mm spacing rear frame with derailleur hanger.
Wheels are built using american classic hub, Titanium spokes and 18" rims.
There are 10 cogs... so 2*10 speeds.

As the rim diameter is bigger, standard ultegra caliper brake can be used.

This bike does fold. (you will need hex wrench to fold the handlebar though)
Old 03-24-08, 12:51 PM
Part-time epistemologist

Bikes: Jamis Nova, Bike Friday triplet, Bike Friday NWT, STRIDA, Austro Daimler Vent Noir, Hollands Tourer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Here is the translated page specific to folding bikes ...

https://www.google.com/translate?u=ht...&hl=en&ie=UTF8

Neat hubs. Although I wonder how low those handlebars are ...
Old 03-24-08, 07:00 PM
Raleigh20 PugFixie, Merc

Bikes: 1982 Raleigh Twenty Hotrod Fixie; 1984 Peugeot Premier Fixie, 2007 Merc Lightweight folder

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
That's a really nice conversion - I love white bikes!
Funnily enough - I just fitted a Syntace stem extension similar to the Satori you mention this weekend so I can have a more forward riding position. Naturally - it means the bars don't fit into the clip anymore so I have two options I'm considering at the moment. One is adapting some seatpost quick-release bolts to fit instead of the current allen-key bolts so I can rotate the bars when I fold; The other being the fabrication of an extension to the protruding part on the stem that attaches to the clip so the bars can still fasten shut in a fold with the bars still in their forward position (my bars just have bar ends - this wouldn't work with bullhorns or drops).

The main problem I'm finding with a lightweight Brompton with things on the bars is balance when it's folded - the bar side of the fold is a lot heavier than the other without a rack or mudguards fitted so it isn't exactly happy to sit on it's base without being up against a wall.

Thanks for the links - I look forward to perusing them in good time.
Old 03-24-08, 07:03 PM
Raleigh20 PugFixie, Merc

Bikes: 1982 Raleigh Twenty Hotrod Fixie; 1984 Peugeot Premier Fixie, 2007 Merc Lightweight folder

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Oh - a query - you mention it has bigger rims - are these the Moulton size or maybe the Birdy?
Old 03-24-08, 07:21 PM
Professional Fuss-Budget

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 14 Posts
OK, so how many millimeters off the ground is the rear derailleur? 6 or 7?
Old 03-25-08, 05:43 AM
Life in Mono

Bikes: 5 bikes, all the usual types

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Awsome, But I'd ditch those adjustable forward 'bars to save some weight.
Old 03-26-08, 03:38 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi
Best looking Brommie I’ve seen too.

Originally Posted by LittlePixel
The main problem I'm finding with a lightweight Brompton with things on the bars is balance when it's folded - the bar side of the fold is a lot heavier than the other without a rack or mudguards fitted so it isn't exactly happy to sit on it's base without being up against a wall.
I converted Merc to a ti-version too, and noticed also that when the bike is folded the front and rear wheels are not on the same level – the folded bike tends to fall on the front wheel side. All I can think of is that the ti-front fork differs from Merc’s fork. The difference is about 5mm.
I also had the following experiences:
- Rear triangle wasn’t assembled properly. When I dropped the wheel axle into the slot of the triangle, there was like 15mm distance between the triangle and the rim on the left side, and 25mm on the right side. There wasn’t play enough to turn the wheel so that it would be in the centre. So I filed off some material from the axle slot. The package was intact, no marks of harsh handling. For the price one should get good quality. I didn’t send it back to the British bicycle shop, because it would have meant a month’s waiting. And before that a couple of weeks e-mail correspondence trying to convince them that I’m not a monkey.
- There is only 1 mm – or even less - distance between the tyre and the triangle’s vertical short tube when the axle is seated against the end of the slots.
Old 03-26-08, 04:43 AM

Bikes: Many

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
why dont they get bolts for the stem that can be undone by hand.

Either quick releases or just L shaped bolts.
Old 03-26-08, 08:27 AM
Raleigh20 PugFixie, Merc

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by maranen
The difference is about 5mm
I've noticed this too.

Rear triangle wasn’t assembled properly... When I dropped the wheel axle into the slot of the triangle, there was like 15mm distance between the triangle and the rim on the left side, and 25mm on the right side
I have to say I'd doubt a part so strong and mass produced is 'assembled wrongly' - these things are made on a jig. Perhaps there is a built in offset you weren't expecting compared to the Merc part or maybe the problem is to do with the dish of the wheel? Did you put in the Merc rear hub or something else?

When I got my track hub for mine I was momentarily dismayed because I thought all track hubs were positioned dead-centre on the axle (mine isn't as it's not a flip-flop) and it seemed like it just wasn't going to fit in the frame; at least - not with a centred rim. But then I took a deep breath built the rear wheel with the correct dish (my first dished wheel) and the rim is dead-centre while the flanges are offset slightly to the left to allow for the sprocket. It's a tight fit but it works.
Old 03-26-08, 08:29 AM
Raleigh20 PugFixie, Merc

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by alecw35
why dont they get bolts for the stem that can be undone by hand.

Either quick releases or just L shaped bolts.
I'm hoping to experiment with exactly this idea with a seatpost QR in the next few days if it's the right size.
Old 03-26-08, 03:03 PM

Bikes: Early Cannondale tandem, '99 S&S Frezoni Audax, '65 Moulton Stowaway, '52 Claud Butler, TSR30, Brompton

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
- Rear triangle wasn’t assembled properly. When I dropped the wheel axle into the slot of the triangle, there was like 15mm distance between the triangle and the rim on the left side, and 25mm on the right side. There wasn’t play enough to turn the wheel so that it would be in the centre. So I filed off some material from the axle slot. The package was intact, no marks of harsh handling. For the price one should get good quality.
The Brompton rear triangle is designed to be like that, mostly for chainline and folded clearance reasons. The rear wheel still sits on the centreline of the frame. You shouldn't have filed the dropouts before asking the question.
Old 03-28-08, 01:13 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
...? Did you put in the Merc rear hub or something else?
I used the Merc rear wheel.

Originally Posted by LWaB
The Brompton rear triangle is designed to be like that, mostly for chainline and folded clearance reasons. The rear wheel still sits on the centreline of the frame. You shouldn't have filed the dropouts before asking the question.
I can’t explain without a picture (This is not the ti-version). The clearance in A between the wheel and the frame tube on the left side was almost 1 cm greater compared to the clearance on the right side. But in B the clearance differences were vice versa – left side clearance was 1 cm less. This asymmetry is not present with Merc.

I did ask the question some months ago in this forum – “Are the Merc and Brompton frame parts identical?” The answer was “Yes”.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
triangle.JPG (52.4 KB, 195 views)
Old 03-28-08, 08:14 AM
Part-time epistemologist

Bikes: Jamis Nova, Bike Friday triplet, Bike Friday NWT, STRIDA, Austro Daimler Vent Noir, Hollands Tourer

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I can’t explain without a picture (This is not the ti-version). The clearance in A between the wheel and the frame tube on the left side was almost 1 cm greater compared to the clearance on the right side. But in B the clearance differences were vice versa – left side clearance was 1 cm less. This asymmetry is not present with Merc.

I did ask the question some months ago in this forum – “Are the Merc and Brompton frame parts identical?” The answer was “Yes”.
Hmmm, I never noticed this on the Merc nor the old Brompton. Then again, I never gave it a good look. EvilV? SC? Rafael? Anyone else?
Old 03-29-08, 03:43 PM
Raleigh20 PugFixie, Merc

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Sorted out my quick release this afternoon - works a treat - (I love the smell of dremel in the morning)
I could fit any bars now - moustache, bullhorn, risers; Drops would be a bit of a push though what with the width.
Old 03-29-08, 04:32 PM
Part-time epistemologist

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Sorted out my quick release this afternoon - works a treat - (I love the smell of dremel in the morning)
I could fit any bars now - moustache, bullhorn, risers; Drops would be a bit of a push though what with the width.
Sweet. How did you get it to work?
Old 03-30-08, 05:34 AM
Raleigh20 PugFixie, Merc

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I cut off the 'rocker' half of a spare seat release clamp to use on one side of the stem's clamp, so that the lever still applied tension in the desired incremental manner, and used the same bolt as well, with a little of the head removed so that the bars can actually rotate over this setup when you want to fold. I might put the bolt in a drill chuck and sand off a bit more of the inner shoulder for a more snug fit at some point but it all works for now. Stem 'risers' are Syntace. Pictures below:

Old 03-30-08, 06:42 AM

Bikes: Many

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
could have just got a countersunk bolt from a hardware store.
Old 03-30-08, 06:59 AM
Part-time epistemologist

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
LP ... excellent instructions.
Old 03-30-08, 07:16 AM
Raleigh20 PugFixie, Merc

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by alecw35
could have just got a countersunk bolt from a hardware store.
This is a possibility
Was just working with the parts I have to hand. If it was totally countersunk it'd be harder to finger-tighten on the knurled end if it gets loose for any reason though so this is pretty good. Just need to 'lathe' off some of the shoulder and I'll be happy...
Old 03-30-08, 09:27 AM
eight spokes

Bikes: merc, brompton, roadster, cheap every day bike

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Sweet Pics on nice work again Littlepixle!

Originally Posted by invisiblehand
Hmmm, I never noticed this on the Merc nor the old Brompton. Then again, I never gave it a good look. EvilV? SC? Rafael? Anyone else?
Jepp, just checked a merc and a new b.: the ti-rear-triangle is asymmetrical with the wheel while the merc steel triangle is not (at least not as far as I can see). The parts of the two bikes are not identical. I believe, it was said here that the merc is an almost one-to-one copy to pre 199x bromptons. The Ti-parts definitely have slightly different measures. But does it matter in terms of fitting the ti-triangle to merc frame? Did others need to file also?
Old 03-31-08, 01:54 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I cut off the 'rocker' half of a spare seat release clamp to use on one side of the stem's clamp, so that the lever still applied tension in the desired incremental manner, and used the same bolt as well, with a little of the head removed so that the bars can actually rotate over this setup when you want to fold. I might put the bolt in a drill chuck and sand off a bit more of the inner shoulder for a more snug fit at some point but it all works for now. Stem 'risers' are Syntace. Pictures below:
[/IMG]
Very nice work. Be careful with this – if the quick release gives while riding the consequences can be serious. I have experience with handle-bar vertical adjustment quick-release giving and I was lucky to survive with only some bruises. Now I wouldn’t trust my life on a quick-release in a place like this.

Originally Posted by somnatash
Jepp, just checked a merc and a new b.: the ti-rear-triangle is asymmetrical with the wheel while the merc steel triangle is not (at least not as far as I can see). The parts of the two bikes are not identical. I believe, it was said here that the merc is an almost one-to-one copy to pre 199x bromptons. The Ti-parts definitely have slightly different measures. But does it matter in terms of fitting the ti-triangle to merc frame? Did others need to file also?
Thanks for the information. I guess nobody needs to file anything – obviously I was wrong. I just couldn’t believe that the rear brake & wheel would be on the side of the frame, not in the centre!
Old 04-24-08, 10:18 AM
Life in Mono

Bikes: 5 bikes, all the usual types

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Nice White Brommie, definately not one to leave outside, even for a nano second .. what is the overall weight ?

Very Nice Syntace Mod Little Pixel ... is the adjustment worth the extra weight ? (how many precious grams does it 'cost').
Old 04-24-08, 01:53 PM
Raleigh20 PugFixie, Merc

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I haven't weighed them but they're pretty chunky seemingly made from cast aluminium; I dunno - 150g each?
Is it worth it? It's not much more reach but it does help - especially when out of the saddle. Makes for a more sporty, purposeful side profile too.

I've actually just ordered some of the Zoom/Satori clamps as they look like they've got a bit more reach, are a bit more elegantly put together and you can take the bars out without having to remove all the levers/grips. I might run drops every now and again so this will be ideal for hot swapping them.

Last edited by LittlePixel; 04-24-08 at 05:37 PM.
Old 04-24-08, 03:00 PM
Part-time epistemologist

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I've actually just ordered some of the Zoom/Satori clamsp ...
Where did you order them from? Please let us know how it turns out.
Old 04-24-08, 05:39 PM
Raleigh20 PugFixie, Merc

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Ordered from here: https://www.bicyclerepair.co.uk; Branded Zoom not Satori but they're the same. If you search for the product name 'Aberhallo' you should be able to find a US stockist maybe?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.